Live Voyager Beijing to London

s2000drvr

We are in Beijing for a few days before we board the Voyager for our adventure to London. I will be posting as often as I can. This will be a 78 day voyage. We are staying at the Regent Beijing and it is just beautiful.

Weather today in Beijing, cool in the 50's, sun is being hindered by the smog, but it is very comfortable walking about.

Just toured the Forbidden City, 4 1/2 hours it took us. There were not many people at 8:30a when we arrived. When we left, that was another story.

Any questions, I will try and answer them.

I sit at my computer; look across the room at my world wall map; and dream of your voyage. I'm sure you'll hear from many of us. Best of cruises and please keep us posted.

We will keep you updated! Have to say the quality of air in Beijing is not like at home. But the Peking Duck tonight was the best we have had.

We have transferred to the Peninsula Hotel to await the gala dinner. It is a very nice hotel, but we prefer the Regent Beijing. The air quality today is worse than yesterday and we cannot see blue skies, only gray, but the sun is out, however, dimly. The temps are maybe in the mid 50's making it quite comfortable to walk around.

We are scheduled to leave the hotel tomorrow morning at 11a and arrive to board the Voyager at 2p.

More later.

s200drvr, I've stayed at the Regent Beijing on a cruise once when we had an included free mid-cruise night there (off the Voyager) in days long gone. Have also visited friends on another post cruise for dinner at the Peninsula, who got a great upgrade to a suite that was unbelievable. lol, that bathroom at the top floor restaurant was amazing. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Hope you have a great cruise, and will look forward to your commentary along the way.

Don't set your sights on having a suite like those hotels if you are in a standard cabin like I always have! If you are on for 78 days, consider all you have to be thankful for to do this!

We stayed at the Peninsula yesterday and it is quite the hotel. Our room was updated and very clean. The turndown service was exceptional. I was reading a book that I had brought along, and there were two bookmarks from the Peninsula that the housekeeping department left for me. Also, there were slippers by the sides of the bed for us. Nice touch.

It was about a three hour drive from Beijing to the port. The smog was so thick today. We saw very little driving down, mainly, smog, flat lands, sheep, goats.

Boarding the Voyager was so easy, by 2:05 we were having lunch and champagne. Our room was ready by 2:30 and luggage arrived very quickly.

We dined in Prime 7 tonight and it was top notch as always. Had the surf and turf and Rich had the sirloin. Both dishes were excellent and so were the wines.

The seas are very calm at the moment, but it is very windy outside and cold.

More later.

Today we had a very welcomed sea day. It is so cold, in the 40's, rainy, foggy. The fog horn was blowing and we love that sound. No exercise on the deck today.

Captain's night tonight and we did go to the party. Saw many long dresses and a few tuxes.

Tomorrow it will be Shanghai and we will take the shuttle to the Bund. Cannot wait to see the sun as it should be in the 60's.

By the way, the food in Compass Rose tonight was excellent. We had the Peking Duck and it was so good. Wine was flowing and the staff is working so hard to please. We have had excellent service.

The seas are so flat, we are wondering if we have even left port yet.

More later.

s2000drvr, thanks for your on board Voyager reports, if you have time please pass Wes & Ida's warm regards along to Ley (works the egg station in morning, Setti Mari at night) and to Setti Mari's outstanding server Huseyn (from Turkey). Enjoy your cruise and hopes for continue smooth seas.

s2000drvr, thanks for your on board Voyager reports, if you have time please pass Wes & Ida's warm regards along to Ley (works the egg station in morning, Setti Mari at night) and to Setti Mari's outstanding server Huseyn (from Turkey). Enjoy your cruise and hopes for continue smooth seas.

Thanks, Wes. Will give your warm regards tomorrow! We have not made it up to the La Veranda yet, but will tomorrow.

s2000drvr, how lovely to continue the journey as you take over where we left off. I'm glad you've got calm seas too - we had a rocky ride on a couple of occasions during the last few days.

Sounds like you fared better in the Beijing hotel stakes than we did too - we were offered Kempinski or China World Shangri La and chose the latter on the basis of Trip Adviser reviews. But we were disappointed in the accommodation at the China World and wouldn't recommend or return, except for the fact that it was ideally situated for taking the subway to Tiananmen Square, which was just five or six stops away. Easy Peasy.

Wes, we loved Huseyn and Mehmet too...truly delightful chaps who are so thoughtful and attentive. Well, of course, they're not the only ones, but since you mentioned Huseyn by name...

Thanks for the ongoig reports.

Here we go again. Pod problems. It seems during the night, the Voyager had a slow down due to the pod problems. We missed the opportunity to get into a narrow passage to Shanghai because of the tide so now we must wait for the tide to return so that we can sail into Shanghai. We will not arrive to Shanghai until 7:30p instead of noon.

Rich and I have no problems when stuff like this occurs. We just go with the flow and enjoy ourselves anyway. We will be missing Xiamen and will be going straight to Hong Kong after Shanghai.

More later.

We will be joining you in Luxor ....less than six weeks away.

Hope pod problems are resolved before that time.

Safe journey and calm seas

Thanks, Emdee. We hope the problems are solved by then, too! The seas are beautiful this morning, that Caribbean blue/green and so calm.

gf, I maintain my blog whether I'm travelling or not - but you might find my ramblings about more ordinary, everyday life dull in comparison to the last four weeks!! Still, you can come to New York with us in a month or so's time if you like ;-))

Glad you enjoyed reading.

We are now finally docked in Shanghai. The time is about 9p. We were to dock at noon today but with the ship's problem along with waiting for the tide to come back in, we are here. The skyline is absolutely beautiful at night. The buildings seem very modern. The night tour just left and our tour will be tomorrow around 9a. Cannot wait to see Shanghai.

Dined again in CR and it was a great meal. Had the salmon and vodka sauce over fettuccine. The Chilean wine was good tonight as well.

More later.

Gilly,will further explore blog and look forward to your NY travels!

To OP, please excuse me, had meant earlier reply to go on Gilly's original post. So interested in following your cruise, thanks so much for taking us along!

Today the weather started out as quite nice, sunny but later in the afternoon there were some showers. We took a long tour, 7 1/2 hours, called Shanghai from a Lofty Perspective.

This tour was fantastic. There were 24 of us on our bus as we headed towards the Yu Yuan Gardens. The gardens are a small area and we walked along with our guide as she explained about different things, buildings, etc. We had some free time to explore the shopping area near the gardens. It was very crowded so we did not venture too far away.

We drove along the Bund which was quite impressive with the different style buildings. Next we went to the TV Tower and had lunch at the revolving restaurant which was on about the 68th floor. It was a buffet lunch and there was everything on this buffet from pig's tongue, soup, salads, noodles, duck, sausage, fried rice, potato salads, etc.

After lunch we went down this futuristic looking elevator as it was all enclosed in glass to the Shanghai History Museum. This museum was like a very miniature Sturbridge Village where it had wax figures showing life way back when. It showed the development when foreigners came to China and how it changed China. Very interesting.

We then had a bus tour of the different areas where the French had settled. The streets were very narrow, but looked like a nice place to walk around.

It was a busy day and tomorrow will be a sea day.

Today was another dismal day, probably in the low 50's, cloudy, some rain, and extremely windy. The seas are rolling about, but the ship is pretty stable. We are wanting the sun to make an appearance and bring on the heat. Living in New England, we want the hot sunny weather.

There were many onboard activities, and some lectures. We enjoyed both lectures that we attended.

Food has been weight-gaining and exercising is nil. Got to change that soon.

The block party was tonight and we met several of our neighbors. Very well traveled couples and we learned a bit about the ports that are to come.

We are missing our port for tomorrow and ship's speed now is 16.2 knots. Do not know if that is good or not.

More later.

S2000 -- thanks for the updates. Sounds like a great trip so far - I'm cruising vicariously through you! Enjoy your trip and please post when you can!!

Bill

PS - can I assume by your name that you're a fellow S2000 enthusiast? I have an '06 in Silverstone Metallic - waiting for warmer weather to get the top down! :D

We are in Beijing for a few days before we board the Voyager for our adventure to London. I will be posting as often as I can. This will be a 78 day voyage. We are staying at the Regent Beijing and it is just beautiful.

Weather today in Beijing, cool in the 50's, sun is being hindered by the smog, but it is very comfortable walking about.

Just toured the Forbidden City, 4 1/2 hours it took us. There were not many people at 8:30a when we arrived. When we left, that was another story.

Any questions, I will try and answer them.

Many thanks for your updates - trust the engine issue is resolved quickly so you can have a worry free cruise. If possible I would like to take you up on kind offer to answer any questions. We will be joining you in Safaga and have had no luck with Regent in identifying tours in Rome for those of us who will be BTB. We are trying to secure a private tour of the Vatican and due to Port time constraints would like to get to the San Pietro Station ASAP as it is in walking distance from St. Peter's.

Last year (TA) we were able to take the paid ROMA EXPRESS guided tour which started/ended at San Pietro. Regent also offered The ROMA EXPRESS "on your own" but have been advised it may no be offered on 18 May because of the "expense" and they have no idea at this time what will be offered to BTB passengers.

Bottom line, (finally!) could you please check what might be available or secure e-mail and name of someone on board in Destination Services so I can contact them directly.

Many Thanks.

Many thanks for your updates - trust the engine issue is resolved quickly so you can have a worry free cruise. If possible I would like to take you up on kind offer to answer any questions. We will be joining you in Safaga and have had no luck with Regent in identifying tours in Rome for those of us who will be BTB. We are trying to secure a private tour of the Vatican and due to Port time constraints would like to get to the San Pietro Station ASAP as it is in walking distance from St. Peter's.

Last year (TA) we were able to take the paid ROMA EXPRESS guided tour which started/ended at San Pietro. Regent also offered The ROMA EXPRESS "on your own" but have been advised it may no be offered on 18 May because of the "expense" and they have no idea at this time what will be offered to BTB passengers.

Bottom line, (finally!) could you please check what might be available or secure e-mail and name of someone on board in Destination Services so I can contact them directly.

Many Thanks.

Funny thing that you should ask, as just yesterday morning we went to Destinations to ask about Rome and Luxor and were told that they were working on it and nothing has been finalized. As soon as we hear, I will definitely post here for you.

Archived