CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

I feel very safe on Royal Caribbean and up until recently, I have felt safe on Carnival. I have sailed 22 cruises with Royal 22 (currenty diamond plus status) and 11 cruises with Carnival. Also all cruiselines at some point has dealt with Noro. What the OP is saying is there has been no major reported issues on Royal Caribbean, which warrant worldwide news coverage. I personally feel that all the cruiselines should dock their ships for maintenance after every 10 - 15 sailings. They come in and go back out so quickly, issues are bound to happen.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=vision+of+the+seas+norovirus&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&redir_esc=&ei=BjVCUYnROIm0yQHf1oHABQ#q=vision+of+the+seas+norovirus&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-ca:IE-Address&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=BzVCUegmhMzJAZrbgPgD&ved=0CC8QqAI&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.aWc&fp=d9303957df51bc65&biw=1218&bih=970

what exactly is working and not working on the ship?

The Carnival statement they had full primary power. Enough to drive propulsion and I presume enough to fully power the "hotel" side?

I heard that the main dining room(s) were closed. True? If so, why? It really seems that the ship is fully powered and simply lacks emergency power and that's the reason they won't sail.

If you read the cruise critic news story, this thread, or the Carnival statements, all will explain what the problem to you.

Carnival you suck people come over to royalcaribbean good sales and better cruise ships:D

If this is an example of the typical RCCL cruiser....think I will stay with Carnival...

just saying...

Btw, you might want to brush up on your Allure of the Seas Engine fire less than a year ago....

of course you are forgetting that it is the height of Spring Break at the moment. and yes, even hotel rooms that are less desireable in the P/C..Orlando are will be booked already..you know...by those pesky college kids...and even worse those families who like to vacation with their young kids...oh the horrors!

I checked and I found over 400 rooms available near the Orlando airport checking in tomorrow and out on Saturday. I don't know why anyone would need to stay overnight in PC. They'll fly in to MCO and if they parked at PC, they'll be bused to their car and sent on their way. If they have to wait for their scheduled flight on Saturday, they'll have hotel rooms near the airport. Vacationers don't tend to stay near MCO, those rooms often go empty on weekends because they are used primarily by business travelers. If that isn't enough rooms, I'm sure there are more that can be found in the resorts area. They will be expensive, but that's not the passengers problem.

The Carnival statement they had full primary power. Enough to drive propulsion and I presume enough to fully power the "hotel" side?

I heard that the main dining room(s) were closed. True? If so, why? It really seems that the ship is fully powered and simply lacks emergency power and that's the reason they won't sail.

Yup, that's all it is. This story has been blown WAY out of proportion. The had a problem with a back-up generator while doing a routine maintenance check.

Carnival is playing it safe by not sailing the ship and providing transportation for those guests. They don't want to risk moving the boat full of passengers while their back-up is down in the unlikely event that main system fail also.

A few pages back people were saying that it wasn't a problem for the US passengers w/o passports on Concordia to get back into the United States.

This can't possibly be true - The Concordia left and returned to Europe. Americans would have had to fly round-trip to Europe which would've required a passport in all cases.

So they were getting reissues of existing passports. Nobody flew back to the US without a passport.

That's it :D

oh one more comment about the US customs on foreign soil:

- I went through US customs one time in Ireland so I know that's one more place to add to the list.

This is true except CBP doesn't require them to do so, they do it because it's cheaper than flying people back.

I might be wrong, but I don't think any airline ever entered my passport info into a computer. Of course they have my name, etc.

Your passport is scanned when you check in, or you give the information when you check in online.

The only one I'm aware of is Canada (and not all airports), as I previously mentioned. I actually prefer that, you need to be at the airport early anyhow, might as well clear there and not have to wait around when you land.

Also Dublin Ireland

Ahhh.. yes. I knew there was one a little further away than Canada and the Bahamas. :)

Not to get too off-topic, but the interesting thing is that they have a duty-free liquor shop post passport/customs.

If this is an example of the typical RCCL cruiser....think I will stay with Carnival...

just saying...

Btw, you might want to brush up on your Allure of the Seas Engine fire less than a year ago....

Allure fire, ship had engine fire, returned to port as scheduled and left on next cruise as scheduled. End of story.

The Dreamis a great ship ..and a fairly new one to boot .we were on her last March for SpringBreak ...bummer for those unable to sail her this March break

Pooor Carnival ...it sure has had difficulties lately !!!but at least no one was stranded ...hope everyone has a passport this time !!!

The manifest for the cruise was screened prior to the ship leaving its port of origin. If there is someone who has outstanding warrants, legal problems, whatever, CBP already knows about it. What other screening do these people need? They are going to have their declaration forms, their luggage and the passengers themselves will have the normal drug screening. No private rooms or wet noodle interrogations are needed.

Then CBP is allowing the passengers to bypass our laws. That is just flat out wrong.

My guess is that they didn't have the MDR's open for lunch because most people were going ashore. Just like any port day, I imagine the buffet was open.

Kris Anderson is a local news TV reporter who happens to be on the Dream for his vacation.

He phoned in a live interview at Noon today which I watched.

He said that this was nothing (and he kept repeating that) like the Triumph.

He said everything was normal ( and he kept repeating that) and if they were not docked in St Maarten...no one would even know there was an issue.

They are enjoying all the normal services and activities.

He said they are being kept informed. They had already been told that they will be flown via private charter to Orlando and that charter buses would be waiting to take them to Port Canaveral.

He stated repeatedly that he had heard some of the "rumors" that had already started and said clearly they were not true.

Best quote from the Cruise Critic story http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5258

Cruise Critic member Zen88, who's onboard, weighed in via an e-mail sent from her iPad. "All is great. Having the best vacation ever. Enjoying ALL of the free beverages and fun. News is a total lie. Flying back to Orlando tomorrow or Sat. Really awesome place to be stranded! People are great. Carnival has been great and ship is fully functional...."

Sorry, you do sound exactly like a cheerleader!

Well then I am a cheerleader for every cruiseline :D. I certainly don't sail only Carnival nor do I recommend everyone sail Carnival. I also don't bash any other lines that I have not sailed yet...for that matter I haven't bashed any of lines I have sailed on. Are they perfect....no. None of them are and unlike some, I don't expect them to be. Are some people better suited to some lines over others....yes. We are not all the same, so why would we all prefer the same line.

I am not a basher. I am not the type of person who gets bent out shape when problems happen. The small ones I ignore. The big ones I deal with and move on. I don't harbor grudges. I am not complainer. If I were on this cruise I would see it as adventure. St. Martin is DH's favorite port. He would have a blast being there over a sea day. It wouldn't have mattered if it were a CCL, NCL, or RCCL ship. I would have felt the same way. I am not going to blame a cruise line for mechanical stuff that happens every day. So theirs affected more people....no one died, no one suffered, they are being compensated and helped home. I couldn't ask for more than that when "stuff" happens. If that makes me a cheerleader... then I guess I am proud to be one:rolleyes:.

Kris Anderson is a local news TV reporter who happens to be on the Dream for his vacation.

He phoned in a live interview at Noon today which I watched.

He said that this was nothing (and he kept repeating that) like the Triumph.

He said everything was normal ( and he kept repeating that) and if they were not docked in St Maarten...no one would even know there was an issue.

They are enjoying all the normal services and activities.

He said they are being kept informed. They had already been told that they will be flown via private charter to Orlando and that charter buses would be waiting to take them to Port Canaveral.

He stated repeatedly that he had heard some of the "rumors" that had already started and said clearly they were not true.

Ship can't sail = not normal.

just saying...

Allure had lights,and food and the toilets where working,there was alot off entertament onboard and we have fun,I was on the allure when that happen 6000 guess where having a good time, now carnival the worst cruise company out there had engine fires on few ships that lead to no light,no food,using the the hallways as bathroom or yeah and eating onion sandwich and spam,and I like to say carnival sucks

Your passport is scanned when you check in, or you give the information when you check in online.

Also Dublin Ireland

Haven't flown out of Dublin, that's good to know as we might finish our trip to London next year with a few days in Dublin before the return.

I don't doubt that my passport was scanned or that I entered it, I just don't recall doing so. I remember doing so for my cruise docs, but not for flying.

Carnival got slammed for not pulling the Triumph from service

(even though the issue that resulted in the fire had nothing to do with the earlier repairs)

Now Carnival is getting slammed for pulling the Dream from service, because they are thinking of their passengers FIRST.

A routine maintenance inspection reveals a possible problem and Carnival does not want to take a chance of having an issue.....so they pull the Dream from service .....

Make up your minds people!!

If you read the cruise critic news story, this thread, or the Carnival statements, all will explain what the problem to you.

I have. I'm just try to compare it to other reports I've heard. I don't always believe everything a company would say, nor to I always believe everything a passenger might say.

Archived