CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Because I don't see how "the carrier" has the authority to change the laws and I don't think our government should change them to make accommodations for people entering the country without proper documentation when there are no emergent circumstances.

The government does see this as "emergent circumstances" and is acting accordingly.

Another day, another bunch of posts probably designated to blame CNN for Carnivals problems. Wonder why they are singling CCL out.

I see the story is also on NBC. Shame, NBC!

Talk about a strawman. I haven't seen 1 post blaming CNN for Carnival's issues. I have seen some blaming CNN for their lies and embellishments. Some of us are able to differentiate between the two. Others, not so much.

Accommodations are made all the time for folks who lose their passports while traveling abroad. Not sure why this situation should be any different.

Yup, they come back in and go through extra screening, or they have to visit the consulate in the country they are in to get a replacement passport. All I'm saying is that the people flying in without passports should be put through the same additional screening as any other citizen arriving without a passport by air for whatever reason--nothing more, nothing less.

We too, are on the Dream's next cruise. Nothing from Carnival yet, let's hope she gets underway soon...
I like that. "gets underway soon". I don't know why they call it sailing on these cruise ships. However, I still refer to ships as ships or it.

It is simply amazing to read some of these postings and the people that continue to defend Carnival to the end. It is worse than listening to a bunch of high school cheerleaders.

People, you have to realize that there is something very wrong here. Mechanical issues happen to all companies, but when they happen to this company so often, there is a problem.

The only logical reason you can deduct from all these problems is simply lack of proper maintenance. For some reason or another, Carnival ships seem to be lacking on this area as we have been witnessing recently. Maybe it is as a result of cost cutting measures, maybe it is that the proper personnel is not following maintenance procedures, or maybe, it is simply incompetent management making the wrong decisions...but definitely, there is something.

I traveled on Carnival many times since the late 80's and used to like them a lot. But after my last few cruise with them...no more. I guess my decision has proven to be a wise one. I witnessed a steady decline on services and quality. Everything, from the food to the fun factor, to the entertainment.

The thing I don't get, is that there are so many other choices out there that are 100% better (and safer), why do these people continue to pay for mediocrity? It is a total lack of common sense?

Most people have to simply learn by getting stung, maybe it will be their turn next. You know better, so don't come complaining when your luck runs out...and there's a very good chance that it will.

It weakens our already collapsing borders, I'm surprised you don't all see that.

How exactly do you think this weakens our borders? The passengers have already been vetted through APIS and a multitude of other databases. In short they have already been ID'd as US citizens, all they need is to verify their identity when they land with their picture ID. They are coming back via a known method and the cruise line is accounting for every passenger. Any risk to the national security is extremely low, just as it would be if they returned to the US on the ship as scheduled.

Talk about a strawman. I haven't seen 1 post blaming CNN for Carnival's issues. I have seen some blaming CNN for their lies and embellishments. Some of us are able to differentiate between the two. Others, not so much.

1 thread or 1 post?

CNN is NOT the news story. CCL is. The real strawman is those shooting the messenger. There would be NO story if there was NO issue.

CCL's big problem with Triumph was their deafening silence till it was WAY too late.

This time, although with a slow start, has been OVERcommunicating, but were EXTREMELY quick to dispell a rumor that started about the Glory. Took a chance to throw slime this way while they were at it too as they took a cheap shot at Cruise Critic.

And then got slow again when the stories of the Legend started.

You can't make this stuff up.

Oops my bad MM/

You know us Hm's we were too busy taking naps in sick bay to know exactly what you guys did

All I know we didnt have to worry about getting somewhere;)

Unlike CCL MM's:rolleyes:

Hey, don't sell yourself short. Like on a cruise ship, all are members of the same team. Our HM sewed me up twice in the same deployment. Once was impressive, not a clean cut (like the next incident) but a jagged tear all the way from the palm to the tip of my left index finger. While reaching to stabilize myself at PD I "hooked-up" with an open EAB plug chain ring and it buried itself and plowed all the way to the end. Finger still works, 30 years later....

I never suggest a body cavity search. I simply feel that they should have to go through the same process as any other US citizen who presents themselves at our airports on a flight originating outside the US without a valid passport.

Look, I am an old guy. I traveled throughout the Caribbean in the 80's before they started all of this silliness they have now. I used to regularly drive across the border in my home state of Texas growing up in the 70's. We only had to present our DL's back then. I can't see the need to persecute passengers that have been stranded on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, especially since they've been held on a passenger manifest and screened prior to initial boarding anyway.

I wish our politicians would enforce our borders to the South though. Maybe Carnival should just fly everyone to a border town and hire some coyotes to sneak them across in the dark? That would certainly punish those unworthy souls who don't posses the much vaunted passport - a sure sign of high breeding and superior intelligence!

How exactly do you think this weakens our borders? The passengers have already been vetted through APIS and a multitude of other databases. In short they have already been ID'd as US citizens, all they need is to verify their identity when they land with their picture ID. They are coming back via a known method and the cruise line is accounting for every passenger. Any risk to the national security is extremely low, just as it would be if they returned to the US on the ship as scheduled.

No different than someone flying back after losing a passport (you don't think they are vetted as well?), so they should go through the same extra screening. There should be no exceptions just because they had bad luck. Travelers have bad luck every day and aren't given carte blanche when coming back into the country to bypass the law as a result.

No different than someone flying back after losing a passport (you don't think they are vetted as well?), so they should go through the same extra screening. There should be no exceptions just because they had bad luck. Travelers have bad luck every day and aren't given carte blanche when coming back into the country to bypass the law as a result.

How do you lose a passport and still get on a plane:confused:? It is my understanding that you have to get at least a temporary replacement from a US Consulate.

1 thread or 1 post?

CNN is NOT the news story. CCL is. The real strawman is those shooting the messenger. There would be NO story if there was NO issue.

CCL's big problem with Triumph was their deafening silence till it was WAY too late.

This time, although with a slow start, has been OVERcommunicating, but were EXTREMELY quick to dispell a rumor that started about the Glory. Took a chance to throw slime this way while they were at it too as they took a cheap shot at Cruise Critic.

And then got slow again when the stories of the Legend started.

You can't make this stuff up.

One serious flaw in your post. CNN is not reporting the news stories. They are making up their own.

Sent using my Commodore 64

It is simply amazing to read some of these postings and the people that continue to defend Carnival to the end. It is worse than listening to a bunch of high school cheerleaders.

People, you have to realize that there is something very wrong here. Mechanical issues happen to all companies, but when they happen to this company so often, there is a problem.

The only logical reason you can deduct from all these problems is simply lack of proper maintenance. For some reason or another, Carnival ships seem to be lacking on this area as we have been witnessing recently. Maybe it is as a result of cost cutting measures, maybe it is that the proper personnel is not following maintenance procedures, or maybe, it is simply incompetent management making the wrong decisions...but definitely, there is something.

I traveled on Carnival many times since the late 80's and used to like them a lot. But after my last few cruise with them...no more. I guess my decision has proven to be a wise one. I witnessed a steady decline on services and quality. Everything, from the food to the fun factor, to the entertainment.

The thing I don't get, is that there are so many other choices out there that are 100% better (and safer), why do these people continue to pay for mediocrity? It is a total lack of common sense?

Most people have to simply learn by getting stung, maybe it will be their turn next. You know better, so don't come complaining when your luck runs out...and there's a very good chance that it will.

I don't see "all" these posts "defending" Carnival. In fact I see more of the cheerleaders from the other side who bask in their glory about Carnival having troubles. They eat it up.

How do you lose a passport and still get on a plane:confused:? It is my understanding that you have to get at least a temporary replacement from a US Consulate.

If you lose it while in transit. A few years ago on my way back from Europe there was a woman on our plane who had managed to lose her passport someplace between check-in and the plane getting ready to land.

Now that I think about it, there was a woman on my last international flight who lost her passport ON the plane--fortunately it was located. Somehow it had slipped down between her seat and the sidewall of the plane in a really small space--they were able to get it out with something improvised, I can't recall all the details right now. All of us cheered when she had it back in her hand.

It happens.

If you lose it while in transit. A few years ago on my way back from Europe there was a woman on our plane who had managed to lose her passport someplace between check-in and the plane getting ready to land.

Now that I think about it, there was a woman on my last international flight who lost her passport ON the plane--fortunately it was located. Somehow it had slipped down between her seat and the sidewall of the plane in a really small space--they were able to get it out with something improvised, I can't recall all the details right now. All of us cheered when she had it back in her hand.

It happens.

It may happen but it doesn't happen often. The passengers are still in possession of their travel documentation, though, so it doesn't matter.

The cheerleaders say the stranded ones "are in a Paradise!".

CNN says: The experience on the Carnival Dream became something of a nightmare for some passengers Wednesday when power went off, some toilets stopped working, and no one was allowed to get off the vessel -- despite the fact that the ship was docked at Philipsburg, St. Maarten, in the eastern Caribbean.

Lets hear it, CCL Cheerleaders. We are waiting...

Um - not a Carnival cheerleader (Carnival, like all the other cruise lines, is a corporation - cold and impersonal). I'm not in the habit of leading cheers for any corporations. BUT ... the Dream passengers are not confined to quarters or locked up in the brig. Sheesh!

Like on any sea day, they are free to roam the ship. Free to look at a lovely view from any deck. The power is back on; the toilets are working. I'm sure there are drinks being served. The pools are open. As far as I know the sun is shining. The buffet is open.

Is it an ideal situation, knowing you may face a hassle getting home - no. But neither are they locked away in a gulag with only bread and water to drink.

And I believe that they are now being allowed off the ship to enjoy the island while they wait for transport home.

Why is it that people can't look at things from a realistic perspective? Things aren't black or white. Heaven or hell. The glass is neither hallf full nor half empty - it's just a glass with liquid in it. With few exceptions everything falls on the scale somewhere in between.

The people I feel sorry for are the ones whose cruise on the 16th got cancelled at the last minute. I know I'm looking forward to mine on 6/10 and I'd be disappointed if it were cancelled. I also feel for those on the 23rd - they are kind of in limbo (hey - that's an in between state for sure!). They don't know if they are go or no-go. Uncertainty is the pits.

From a basic stats perspective:

1/23 ships not working right = "ship happens"

2/23 ships not working right = "hmmm... still possible, but something seems kinda off"

3/23 ships not working right= "something is wrong"

As for CNN (and all the other cable news networks), their job is not only to inform the public but also to attract viewers. If they want viewers, reporting the worst possible version of every story is a great way to go.

Um - not a Carnival cheerleader (Carnival, like all the other cruise lines, is a corporation - cold and impersonal). I'm not in the habit of leading cheers for any corporations. BUT ... the Dream passengers are not confined to quarters or locked up in the brig. Sheesh!

Like on any sea day, they are free to roam the ship. Free to look at a lovely view from any deck. The power is back on; the toilets are working. I'm sure there are drinks being served. The pools are open. As far as I know the sun is shining. The buffet is open.

Is it an ideal situation, knowing you may face a hassle getting home - no. But neither are they locked away in a gulag with only bread and water to drink.

And I believe that they are now being allowed off the ship to enjoy the island while they wait for transport home.

Why is it that people can't look at things from a realistic perspective? Things aren't black or white. Heaven or hell. The glass is neither hallf full nor half empty - it's just a glass with liquid in it. With few exceptions everything falls on the scale somewhere in between.

The people I feel sorry for are the ones whose cruise on the 16th got cancelled at the last minute. I know I'm looking forward to mine on 6/10 and I'd be disappointed if it were cancelled. I also feel for those on the 23rd - they are kind of in limbo (hey - that's an in between state for sure!). They don't know if they are go or no-go. Uncertainty is the pits.

Very well said.

One serious flaw in your post. CNN is not reporting the news stories. They are making up their own.

How many times must I say if you don't like them don't watch them?

But being I haven't watched them since the Triumph incident, what are they making up?

How many times must I say if you don't like them don't watch them?

But being I haven't watched them since the Triumph incident, what are they making up?

I think people have a problem with editorial discretion. I wouldn't say they are making anything up but they use their editorial discretion to make things seem worse than reality... (EDIT: They run the major complaints and none of the people who said things weren't that bad)

Because I don't see how "the carrier" has the authority to change the laws and I don't think our government should change them to make accommodations for people entering the country without proper documentation when there are no emergent circumstances.

Who is "the carrier" and how is it changing laws? :eek::rolleyes::confused:

No law is being changed; the law allows for waivers in unusual circumstances. I am sorry that the law does not correlate with your ideas but if you want the law changed to remove the waiver, lobby Congress.

Did you perhaps mean "emergency" instead of "emergent"?

Dictionary.com:

e·mer·gent

1. coming into view or notice; issuing.

2. emerging; rising from a liquid or other surrounding medium.

3. coming into existence, especially with political independence: the emergent nations of Africa.

4. arising casually or unexpectedly.

5. calling for immediate action; urgent.

This incident seems to be a good example of an "emergent circumstance". :D

Who is "the carrier" and how is it changing laws? :eek::rolleyes::confused:

No law is being changed; the law allows for waivers in unusual circumstances. I am sorry that the law does not correlate with your ideas but if you want the law changed to remove the waiver, lobby Congress.

Did you perhaps mean "emergency" instead of "emergent"?

Dictionary.com:

e·mer·gent

1. coming into view or notice; issuing.

2. emerging; rising from a liquid or other surrounding medium.

3. coming into existence, especially with political independence: the emergent nations of Africa.

4. arising casually or unexpectedly.

5. calling for immediate action; urgent.

This incident seems to be a good example of an "emergent circumstance". :D

I meant emergent. There is no emergency in this scenario.

Archived