Specialty restaurants/ Vision

We are doing the Baltic cruise on Vision 11 May. So far we have been able to book a wine package...but not able to see a way to book Chops or Portofino. Are these not available on Vision? We booked via RCCL not a TA.

Thanks for help in advance.

Lynda

No specialty restaurants on Vision until after her refit scheduled for October 2013.

We are doing the Baltic cruise on Vision 11 May. So far we have been able to book a wine package...but not able to see a way to book Chops or Portofino. Are these not available on Vision? We booked via RCCL not a TA.

Thanks for help in advance.

Lynda

Vision goes in for her enhancements in September/October of this year and it will be at this time that she will have the Specialty Restaurants added.

Thanks for the responses....bummer!!!! The MDR is great....here's hoping they have escargot. prime rib and lamb shanks.!!!! Whenever it shows up on the menu!!! We're easy....just hard to find a filet of mignon here in DE!!!

:);):)

Vision's MDR will have a few extra cost items that you might find interesting. There is a Chop's Filet for $15 extra, a whole Maine lobster for $25, and a combo of those for $35.

Thanks for the responses....bummer!!!! The MDR is great....here's hoping they have escargot. prime rib and lamb shanks.!!!! Whenever it shows up on the menu!!! We're easy....just hard to find a filet of mignon here in DE!!!

We just got off the Vision, and they have the new menus. escargot, and shrimp cocktail are on the menu every night. They also have lobster night (it was 2nd formal night for us) The lobsters were the largest I've seen on a ship. They had prime rib and I believe they had lamb shanks too.

They also have some of the specialty restaurants menu items for an additional fee.

We were on the 2-25 sailing escargot was available every night. I only had it 3 out of 11 nights. They also had the Chops Filet available for a cost. Our waiter and asst waiter some of the best we have ever had. Loved the ship being smaller it was very easy to get around.

We're on Vision mid-April and so far cannot book a wine package on the website, so I guess I'll try calling them again this week.

We were only able to book it this past Friday. There's only one package....not so great but ok for the price. Sad to see Conundrum isn't available...... It's good to know about the Chops Filet availability in the MDR....even better to know about the escargot!!

Thanks to all....

Lynda

I´m really surprised to read this, what´s so hard about it:confused:

I´m really surprised to read this, what´s so hard about it:confused:

You have to go to a real butcher....have done it but don't speak the language that well and it's a bit embarrassing doing the "charades" bit!!! It just doesn't taste the same for whatever reason...kinda like the pork (which is yummy here). The commissary doesn't carry them fresh, you can buy them frozen....again, not quite the same. Might be just me...you can't buy them from any restaurant we've been to. Rump steak yep.....filet, not so much!

Edited to add that if you find out that rump steak is just like filet, I will feel like a real idiot!!!

You have to go to a real butcher....have done it but don't speak the language that well and it's a bit embarrassing doing the "charades" bit!!! It just doesn't taste the same for whatever reason...kinda like the pork (which is yummy here). The commissary doesn't carry them fresh, you can buy them frozen....again, not quite the same. Might be just me...you can't buy them from any restaurant we've been to. Rump steak yep.....filet, not so much!

Edited to add that if you find out that rump steak is just like filet, I will feel like a real idiot!!!

Living in Germany, but not in the area you are at. I have no Problem of buying it here fresh from the butcher or as well from some supermarkets that have a good meat selection.

No it´s not the same as Rump Steak. Filet is my Beef of choice when dining out and I usually have no problem getting it in a Restaurant (well of course it depends on the restaurant, i.e. going to a chinese or Italian Restaurant it wouldn´t be on the menu;)). Look for "Rinderfilet" on the menu, it´s usually sold in sizes like 200g - 300g. It is pricey though regardless if purchased fresh from the butcher or in a Restaurant.

I would imagine they serve filet tenderloin as filet mignon on the ships, but still.... even a 6 oz (180g) filet mignon (in name) at a very basic steakhouse, Block House in Basel costs just over $48 for just the steak and a baked potato.

I had a 'Tournedos vom Angus-Rind' another similar cut in my hand at the supermarket just Friday evening in Switzerland and it was around $34 for a 5 oz (150g) steak.

Oxfile in Sweden is translated as being the same thing, but it is not. Why, I do not know, but just not the same. Now, pork fillet up there is excellent.

So, while comparable cuts can be found everywhere, what is really lacking is the value found onboard.

I really like the specialty restaurants and while I have done the Baltic already on Vision, I am looking forward to our cruise with Vision just following the re-vitalization. I think they will even put Izumi on the upper floor of the Viking Crown, as on Rhapsody, but no details yet.

I would imagine they serve filet tenderloin as filet mignon on the ships, but still.... even a 6 oz (180g) filet mignon (in name) at a very basic steakhouse, Block House in Basel costs just over $48 for just the steak and a baked potato.

I had a 'Tournedos vom Angus-Rind' another similar cut in my hand at the supermarket just Friday evening in Switzerland and it was around $34 for a 5 oz (150g) steak.

Oxfile in Sweden is translated as being the same thing, but it is not. Why, I do not know, but just not the same. Now, pork fillet up there is excellent.

So, while comparable cuts can be found everywhere, what is really lacking is the value found onboard.

I really like the specialty restaurants and while I have done the Baltic already on Vision, I am looking forward to our cruise with Vision just following the re-vitalization. I think they will even put Izumi on the upper floor of the Viking Crown, as on Rhapsody, but no details yet.

Wow, that is an expensive steak!

I really like the specialty restaurants and while I have done the Baltic already on Vision, I am looking forward to our cruise with Vision just following the re-vitalization. I think they will even put Izumi on the upper floor of the Viking Crown, as on Rhapsody, but no details yet.[/quote]

The new deck plans of the Vision are available on the RCI website, if you click on plans for the date Oct 28, 2013. There is no Izumi that I can see. Chops, Giovanni's and Park Cafe are there, along with the DL and CL.

We are also sailing her right after the revitalizing and can't wait to see the changes.

From the RCI website under "Ships" and then Vision...

• Main Dining Room with complimentary, multi-course dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • More complimentary options including the Windjammer Café, Solarium Café, and room service*
  • Frozen treats at Ben & Jerry's® Ice Cream*
  • Café Latté-tudes, serving Seattle's Best Coffee®*
  • COMING SOON
    Complimentary Park Café
  • COMING SOON
    Chef's Table intimate dining experience
  • COMING SOON
    Chops Grille, Royal Caribbean's signature steakhouse
  • COMING SOON
    Izumi Asian-fusion cuisine, featuring a la carte sushi selections
  • COMING SOON
    Giovanni's Table Italian restaurant

From the RCI website under "Ships" and then Vision...

• Main Dining Room with complimentary, multi-course dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • More complimentary options including the Windjammer Café, Solarium Café, and room service*
  • Frozen treats at Ben & Jerry's® Ice Cream*
  • Café Latté-tudes, serving Seattle's Best Coffee®*
  • COMING SOON
    Complimentary Park Café
  • COMING SOON
    Chef's Table intimate dining experience
  • COMING SOON
    Chops Grille, Royal Caribbean's signature steakhouse
  • COMING SOON
    Izumi Asian-fusion cuisine, featuring a la carte sushi selections
  • COMING SOON
    Giovanni's Table Italian restaurant

I know - but I don't see it on the deck plan.:confused: Everything else is shown though. Imagine seeing an inconsistency on their website!!!!

Archived