DSLR Zoom Lense

Calkacky

After posting about whether or not to bring my DSLR in addition to my point and shoot, I've decided it's coming along. I have a Nikon D40 and am looking to purchase a zoom lense. I got a cheap one with my camera bundle, but it is impossible to get clear pics without using a tripod so I'm looking to get one for my cruise that will give me clear pics without the use of my tripod. I am more on the amateur level than the professional level do I'm not looking for anything to fancy and definitely not something real expensive. I was thinking of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300mm-4-0-5-6-Macro-Digital/dp/B0012UUP02/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

For those of you, who know much more than me about lenses, will this do a good job at taking clear pics at a distance without a tripod? Do you have any other lense suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help! I love taking lots of pics and want to make sure I have what I need to get good pics of things near and far.

~Amy

With the D40 kit you likely have a 18-55 no VR.

If you are looking for a zoom the best inexensive one is Nikon's 55-200 VR, a step up is the 70-300VR. If you are finding you need stabilization on the short end you can also look for a 18-55 VR version.

You might try your local craigslist as I see reasonable values there.

After posting about whether or not to bring my DSLR in addition to my point and shoot, I've decided it's coming along. I have a Nikon D40 and am looking to purchase a zoom lense. I got a cheap one with my camera bundle, but it is impossible to get clear pics without using a tripod so I'm looking to get one for my cruise that will give me clear pics without the use of my tripod. I am more on the amateur level than the professional level do I'm not looking for anything to fancy and definitely not something real expensive. I was thinking of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300mm-4-0-5-6-Macro-Digital/dp/B0012UUP02/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

For those of you, who know much more than me about lenses, will this do a good job at taking clear pics at a distance without a tripod? Do you have any other lense suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help! I love taking lots of pics and want to make sure I have what I need to get good pics of things near and far.

~Amy

I have the Canon version of this one

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300mm-4-0-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B003YH9DZE/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363536104&sr=1-16&keywords=tamron

Much better lens and I used it for my cruise to Alaska. Very good price for what you get and lots of good articles

I remember researching about my zoom lens a long time ago and why my pics were always blurry without a tripod but couldn't remember what I'd found other than that the lense I had was a cheap version of a better lense. Now that you mention it chip master, my zoom lense definitively has no vr. I'm not sure about my 18 - 55 lense, but I get great pics with it. Thanks for the suggestions from you both. I'm gonna check out what y'all recommend.

The longer focal lengths a good rule of thumb is that shutterspeed should be 1/focal length. Thus when you shoot with 18-55 if you have a shutter speed faster than 1/60 and there isn't subject motion you will do okay.

On the longer zoom side say 200 than the required shutter speed really gets shorter and I find 1/200 is a minimum. Thus as you shoot on the long side you need to either use faster lense, or higher ISO to insure you get faster enough shutter speed. The easiest way to notice this is that for zoom lense even in the viewfinder you see motion more than say with your 18-55 that motion is what needs to be frozen.

I remember researching about my zoom lens a long time ago and why my pics were always blurry without a tripod but couldn't remember what I'd found other than that the lense I had was a cheap version of a better lense. Now that you mention it chip master, my zoom lense definitively has no vr. I'm not sure about my 18 - 55 lense, but I get great pics with it. Thanks for the suggestions from you both. I'm gonna check out what y'all recommend.

If you are getting blurry photos without using a tripod, it's not your lens. You are using too low of a shutter speed.

The rule of thumb is 1/100 sec per 100mm. So if you are using the lens at 300mm, your shutter speed should be at minimum 1/300sec, or you will get blur with any lens.

You can reduce the rule-of-thumb perhaps 20% if your lens has vibration reduction, so say with VR on, you could go down to 1/200 or 1/250.

If you cannot get those shutter speeds due to underexposure, your two choices are to increase ISO or get a better lens.

However, I am certain that the lens you have, if it is a name brand lens, is probably a f/4~5.6 or similar. That means the largest the aperture can be at the telephoto end is f/5.6. If that is the case, buying the Tamron lens will NOT make any improvement, as it is also a f/4~5.6. And the Tamron lens did not look like it had VR, so you will get no improvement by buying it.

You would have to go with a pro-grade lens that will give you a f/2.8 to obtain any more performance. And Nikon's f/2.8 300mm lens (not a zoom) is $$$.

So the first step you should take; evaluate your exposure settings. Make sure you abide with the 1/100 per 100mm rule. Using Shutter Priority (S on the mode dial), set your shutter speed to 1/300th or as close as you can come to it. If your camera indicates the exposure is too low at 1/300th of a second, then increase the ISO incrementally until you can.

However, increasing ISO increases noise in the photo. So if you find that you have too much noise for your liking at the ISO you are using, only then should you consider purchasing a new lens.

If you don't want to spend a fortune, your only recourse is to buy a 55-200mm or 70-300mm lens (Nikon makes both) with Vibration Reduction. As stated vibration reduction will allow you to reduce your shutter speed somewhat, you have to have a realistic expectation - you will still need to be around 1/200 sec to obtain a blur-free photo. So while a new consumer-grade lens with vibration reduction can improve the situation - it won't improve it that much, and you may find it is not worth several hundred dollars for a new lens.

If you decide to purchase a lens, I would suggest the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5~5.6 VR, which is a pretty good lens for a consumer-grade lens. They cost about $580 new, but Adorama has factory refurbished ones for $360 or so. I bought one, and would not hesitate to buy factory refurbished.

Otherwise, the Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4~5.6 VR is about $250 (make sure you buy the VR version though). However, for the extra $100, the 70-300mm is a better lens.

I've not been a fan of Tamron.

<snip>And the Tamron lens did not look like it had VR, so you will get no improvement by buying it.</snip>

Tamron calls it VC for Vibration Compensation which is their mechanism that allows the use of shutter speeds that are much slower than otherwise possible, with no perceptible increase in image blur.

I have never used a Tamron lens but if you follow this link, you can get a lot of information about the 18-270mm. To the right of the lens photo, click on the 5 stars and (116 reviews) link for current users opinions of the lens.

as awboater has said, it's not the lens it is your shutter speed is to slow. If you are outside there should be no reason you can't bump up the shutter speed and get decent pics. You don't say what lens you are now using is, but try setting your camera to shutter priority (S mode) and dialing in 1/500 and see what you get (With ISO in auto). Your pics should be fine, now if you are trying to shoot inside with low light that is a whole different kettle of fish.

Thanks everyone and especially you, wocheez for the pics. I ended up ordering the Sigma 18 - 250 macro lens. It's supposed to be delivered Friday so I'm gonna play with it this weekend and make sure it's what I like/want. After spending lots of time researching, I've decided I want to try out an "all encompassing" type lens. It's quite heavy compared to what I'm used to, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I love the idea of not having to switch lenses to get zoom. Now, I need to research flashes. I've been wanting one and just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks everyone and especially you, wocheez for the pics. I ended up ordering the Sigma 18 - 250 macro lens. It's supposed to be delivered Friday so I'm gonna play with it this weekend and make sure it's what I like/want. After spending lots of time researching, I've decided I want to try out an "all encompassing" type lens. It's quite heavy compared to what I'm used to, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I love the idea of not having to switch lenses to get zoom. Now, I need to research flashes. I've been wanting one and just haven't gotten around to it.

Try a Nikon Speedlight SB 400; a little pricey, but it works your zoom lens.

Ed

When you get your new lens, do some critical testing (take a photo and enlarge it, then look around different areas - including corners). Try it at the largest aperture, as well as stop down a bit, and compare the two.

I have found that those super-zoom lenses can have some issues in optical quality. You have to trade off the quality of the lens with the convenience of the high-power zoom.

I have the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5~5.6, and I have found that it is a bit blurry in the corners when used wide open. But if I stop the lens down to f/8, the lens is actually pretty good.

In that sense, I consider the lens a daylight lens (due to use at f/8), and for cruising, the convenience of having to carry fewer lenses is acceptable to me. Most of my cruise photography is in the Caribbean anyway, so it is really not an issue for this specific purpose.

While I can not directly comment on the Sigma lens, I would suspect you will find the same kind of issues as I found with the Nikon.

So if you find that the best photos are at f/8, then you will know what the "sweet spot" of the lens is. And it is not untypical for image quality to improve one or two stops down from wide open for most lenses anyway.

As for your flash, hile it is tempting to buy the less expensive SB400, it is only about half as powerful as the SB700, and not all that much more powerful than some of Nikon DSLRs internal flashes. However, if you have an entry level NIkon (D3xxx or D5xxx) you may not be able to take advantage of all of the features the more advanced flashes can offer.

SB400 is a nice compact add on, fits in pocket and on ebay probably less than 100 bucks. The big plus you get is seperate power source and the ability to bounce the light for softer pictures, add a business card taped to the top and shoot at 45 degree angle you get the same results as the more expensive flashes. The one downside is slower recycle and lower power compared to the larger SB600/700/800/900.

Thanks Ed. I was actually looking at that one and one quite a bit more expensive. I will probably go with the SB 400 as it looks like it will suffice for what I need it for.

Archived