Drive or Fly to Galveston?

id1scott

So I live in the DFW area and trying to decide how I want to get to Galveston next year for our cruise. We could drive there or fly. Flying of course is faster but still have the hassle of shuttles to and from the port. Driving is slower and you have to find parking, but you don't have to worry about luggage fees and stressing about making the flight on time.

What would you do if given the choice? I have a long time before we go on the cruise, so I can search for flight deals. Just not sure which way I want to go.

Yes I know that, but compared to 6+ hours it's still faster to fly. But it is an extra expense as well. I like the idea of being home to my daughter quicker and not worrying about driving home after vacation, but flying can be just as stressfull.

Yes I know that, but compared to 6+ hours it's still faster to fly.

Well, it might be, or it might not. You have to calculate the time it takes you to get to the airport, arriving at least 1-1.5 hours before, waiting for your flight, then getting to the port/hotel in Galveston from the airport. Plus the aggravation of dealing with airport security, checking luggage... Personally, I like the freedom to just be able to leave the port right after disembarkation at your own pace.

From Dallas, I'd just drive. You could even drive in the day of, which those of us from much farther away can't do. We have to get a hotel the night before.

I'm sure southwest has tons of flights a day from Hobby to Love, but you never know what's going to happen and delays could prevent you from being late.

Also, with the car, you'll have to get transportation to the pier, which from Hobby runs about $100-$150 each way (closer to the higher end usually). That will saye you enough to cover parking easily.

Assume you can't get a flight before 1 p.m., which is reasonable in Houston because of the hour drive from the sea port to HOU, you're back at DAL around 2 p.m., then you get your luggage, to the car and probably at home around 3 p.m. The absolute earliest you'd get a flight would be 12:30. The noon is possible but less likely. The 1 p.m. is pretty safe. Looks like there are about 15 flights daily from HOU to DAL and they look very cheap, around $77 pp each way.

If you walked off the ship at even as late as 9 a.m., you could be through customs and in your car by 10-10:30. Let's say 10:30 a.m., even so, you'd be back home between 4-5 p.m. Not really saving a ton of time.

For me, 4 hours is where I start to think that flying makes more sense than driving, all things being equal and if the flights are inexpensive. By having to get from airport to seaport, which is very expensive for what it is, I'd just drive and be in control of my own arrival and departure times.

Drive, it is only a 4 hr drive from Dallas to Houston. The ride from Dallas to about Conroe is beyond boring, but you will still save time and money. Sitting in DFW/Love field then IAH or Hobby (depending on your choice of airline) would eat up much more time and money then just jumping in the car and driving. Plus no chance of missing flights, luggage restructions, bag fees, TSA, over priced airport food, etc etc etc etc.

I'd drive in a heartbeat. The trip from Dallas isn't a bad drive, and shuttles are not known to be fantastically fun. Besides, you'll have the ability to see the island, eat some lunch, and relax on your own time a bit before you head back. AND you can pack to your heart's content without the worry of airline baggage fees.

We are driving 10 hours in April just to avoid flying. We flew in January and by the time you have to drive to the airport, do the security thing, stand in line, etc....you then have to get slammed paying more than the cost to fly just to get from Houston to Galveston! No thanks! In the future I would rather spend the 10 hours in the car then EVER do that again!

I'd drive as well. As someone else mentioned, you'll still spend a lot of time waiting in the airport and for ground transportation, so you won't be saving much time. Also, the cost of a couple of tanks of gas, plus parking, will be much less than airfare. You'll also have your own vehicle to get around Galveston before and after the cruise.

If it's less than an 10 hour drive, I'd much rather do that than fly these days.

Drive

Ive done the IAH to DFW and I probably spent longer going thru security than the flight took

it was close to 2 hrs for the whole trip but I was connecting to SFO and didnt need to go to baggage claim so it probably would be longer

if doing RT there is at least 4 hrs

and it only takes 5 hrs to drive to Galveston

I'm in Dallas too and the only reason I sail from Galveston is to avoid the hassle of flying! We drive down the afternoon before our cruise. We've stayed in Galveston and don't really like it much. So the last couple of times we stay overnight near Hobby and have a short half hour drive to the port on embarkation day.

If I was going endure the hassles of flying, I would fly a bit longer and sail out of south Florida!

• 2 weeks later...

We have driven to Galveston twice and found it very easy! We stayed overnight at Gaidos Seaside inn both times and they allowed us to park there for free - one time for 24 days while we were on a transatlantic cruise. The rooms are clean and both times it was less than $100 per night and no charge for the parking! You can call a cab on cruise day and go right to the ship for $10 In Less than ten minutes- Same when you return! We were thru customs and off the ship and in our car in less than 30 minutes total - heading on our way back to Dallas! There is a very nice Krogers up the street from Gaidos that you can pick up last minute snacks and wine at! We even flew out of IAH and took a shuttle from Gaidos when we flew to Venice from Houston - it was so easy! Any questions, ask away!

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for driving. I've been on 9 cruises out of Galveston, drove in from San Antonio each time. I am frugal about most things, and I just can't justify the additional expenses. We almost always go a day or two early as well, and I like having the freedom of having our car with us to go wherever it is we decide to go while in Houston or Galveston.

I'd drive without a doubt. Honestly, it isn't THAT much time saved when you consider how long it takes to drive to the airport, wait in security, wait for the plane, fly there, wait for your baggage, wait for a shuttle etc.

Also you probably have to pay to park your car at the airport anyway (or bother a friend to drive you) so it kind of breaks even on parking (there are cheap parking places in Galveston- we liked Lighthouse) and baggage fees will easily outweigh parking if you wouldn't have to pay it at home.

I'd be so nervous flying in, and flying out- fog can make you miss an early flight out for instance. Driving is so much less stress for me.

(We drove in from Austin morning of- yes, closer than Dallas- but it was the best embarkation experience we've ever had. You could do morning of or the day before from Dallas. I'd probably go the night before if you can, so you don't have to wake up super o'dark thirty, 6 hours means you can still just leave after work, maybe skip off an hour or two early to not get in so late- but we really maximize our vacation time from work. We plan to drive to New Orleans this year- a 15 hour drive.)

The other benefit to driving- you can much more easily take home any duty free liquor you buy.

Archived