Prepaid Grat's Vs Cash

I've searched around, but no luck.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Royal Caribbean takes a percentage of the Pre-paid gratuities or do the staff members get 100% of it as if it was cash?

I rather give the staff cash if Royal Caribbean is taking a piece of it. I don't see the necessity for them to take a fee.

Thanks in advance, have a great day.

As of March 1, you have no choice anymore. Everyone gets charged automatic gratuities now ($12.00 USD daily, $14.25 for suites).

Thanks, but I am still curious to know if Royal Caribbean has their hands in their staffs pockets or not.

Thanks, but I am still curious to know if Royal Caribbean has their hands in their staffs pockets or not.

That is interesting. I never thought of that. I would honestly prefer to give cash than come out of my acct.

I've searched around, but no luck.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Royal Caribbean takes a percentage of the Pre-paid gratuities or do the staff members get 100% of it as if it was cash?

I rather give the staff cash if Royal Caribbean is taking a piece of it. I don't see the necessity for them to take a fee.

Thanks in advance, have a great day.

Giving cash does not help. The employees must surrender the same amount to poll that would be taken out of your credit card.

Tipping is one of those subjects that will bring out strong opinions on these boards. If you look at posts on the other cruiseline a that have had this system of a daily gratuity/service charge you will see a lot heated comments. There are those who insist on lining up on the last day to have the automatic tips removed. They say they want control over their tips. In RC old system you received your envelopes and quide lines and decided how much to give. Now RC has followed most other CLs. They should receive their tips but some may need to share them. Room stewards have told me they have to share with their supervisers and any assistants.

If you remove the automatic gratuity to give cash you are not helping the people who gave you great service, you are hurting them. The now have to pool this cash plus explain to their supervisors why the service they gave was so poor that you took the tips off. I have been on all the major lines and never have removed the gratuities. If you have received really good service you can give extra in the form of cash. They can keep then keep the extra cash.

I'm cruising on the 30th and I intend to ask the staff this same thing, since it's one that gets ALL KINDS of comments here.

I'll report back with my findings.

I hope you get an honest answer. Some might be a little hesitant to answer if Royal Caribbean is keeping a little bit for themselves. You might have to ask a few people in order to get a legit consensus.

Giving cash does not help. The employees must surrender the same amount to poll that would be taken out of your credit card.

How do you know this?? Do you work for the company??

So what you're saying is, if I choose to remove my tips and give cash instead, the company will make the employee hand over the cash I gave???

The tips do not have a "fee" taken from them. They are divided among those who serve you, just as a tip in a restaurant is divided between the waiter/waitress and bus person and usually, the host or hostess.

And, no....if you give someone cash, they will NOT be "turning it in", as no one would even know they'd received it.

And, asking a "tipped" person is not the best way to find out anything! They will always answer in favor of getting more tips from you!

Just tip as recommended, and you've done your duty.

How do you know this?? Do you work for the company??

So what you're saying is, if I choose to remove my tips and give cash instead, the company will make the employee hand over the cash I gave???

Not exactly, but the company levies a charge upon each stateroom attendant to pay for "other housekeeping services" and withholds that from other funds they would have received, such as prepaid tips.

I have booked a table at our favorite restaurant at the weekend.

Of course at the the time of booking I paid the tips for the outstanding service we have yet to receive :p

I am sorry couldn't resist;)

You all gonna shoot me down in flames now:o

I too would just prefer to cash tip as I go it's no bother.

I'm cruising on the 30th and I intend to ask the staff this same thing, since it's one that gets ALL KINDS of comments here.

I'll report back with my findings.

I look forward to your findings. And, I wonder if you will get several different kinds of answers. lol

I deal with crew all the time when they arrive from thier home country. I have asked about this. It seems more the room attendants like the cash. That way they pay a share to the helper an dkeep the rest for themselves. The wait staff they do prefer the pre pay or automatic gratuity.

I normally always tip cash, and if there is auto gratuity I take it off my account. I usually let our waiter and room attendant know day one they will see cash from us.

I hope you get an honest answer. Some might be a little hesitant to answer if Royal Caribbean is keeping a little bit for themselves. You might have to ask a few people in order to get a legit consensus.

I look forward to your findings. And, I wonder if you will get several different kinds of answers. lol

I plan on asking several folks from several different areas.

I also plan on talking to the ship's medical crew (my career goal includes being a cruise ship nurse in the future) and as those folks aren't tipped at all but do have regular contact with all members of the crew (including folks that we never see, like laundry and kitchen crew), I'm hoping that I'll be able to get an accurate, actual answer on the subject!

If you remove the automatic gratuity to give cash you are not helping the people who gave you great service, you are hurting them. The now have to pool this cash plus explain to their supervisors why the service they gave was so poor that you took the tips off. I have been on all the major lines and never have removed the gratuities. If you have received really good service you can give extra in the form of cash. They can keep then keep the extra cash.

That is how Princess does it, but since RCI has never had an automatic gratuity, I don't think that's been the case. Perhaps they will do this now that they've implemented it, but I don't think any of us know.

I have given up fighting the system. I don't want to spend my time in line at Guest Services taking off tips that I will then hand in cash to somebody. They can just work it out amongst themselves.

I plan on asking several folks from several different areas.

I also plan on talking to the ship's medical crew (my career goal includes being a cruise ship nurse in the future) and as those folks aren't tipped at all but do have regular contact with all members of the crew (including folks that we never see, like laundry and kitchen crew), I'm hoping that I'll be able to get an accurate, actual answer on the subject!

Keep us informed.........thanks

I have booked a table at our favorite restaurant at the weekend.

Of course at the the time of booking I paid the tips for the outstanding service we have yet to receive :p

I am sorry couldn't resist;)

You all gonna shoot me down in flames now:o

I too would just prefer to cash tip as I go it's no bother.

Apples with apples maybe? :p

Archived