We Will Never Cruise With RCI Again

Please explain the normal common as I feel it distracts from your opinion and is meant to inflame.

Normal common? What are you talking about? Is "common" Saskatchewanian for "comment"?

Anyway...the normal comment was just a little teasing of the poster to whom I was responding, and the :p smiley was supposed to make it clear that I was just teasing. (And I think EVALUATOR, to whom I was responding, took it that way.)

Normal common? What are you talking about? Is "common" Saskatchewanian for "comment"?

Anyway...the normal comment was just a little teasing of the poster to whom I was responding, and the :p smiley was supposed to make it clear that I was just teasing. (And I think EVALUATOR, to whom I was responding, took it that way.)

I took it as just a tease. But you should know after this debate anything you say on CC can be held against you.....

Faith Hill:D

Sorry Mrs E.:o

Any beverage that has alcohol in it is the same....Alcohol....the only difference is the alcohol content.

I like the normal common the best.....I consider all alcohol products the same.

I would also suggest you do some research on how Liquor and wine are produced as not all produces are created equally.

Please explain the normal common as I feel it distracts from your opinion and is meant to inflame.

I agree with Paul. I took the OP's initial question about "liquor" to mean something other than wine. I agree that all the responses to that question on that thread were correct because he specified liquor. If he had asked if "alcohol" could be brought on board, the responses would have been worded differently.

A typo is what you focused on....interesting, but not surprising at all, very common from people on this site!

So as long as a put a smiley ( stick out tongue is mocking to me) all is good.

I feel the whole splitting hairs on the Alcohol part of a post is ignoring the issue. The OP did nothing wrong as they put wine in their checked bags as the policy allows for this. I know that I'm not interested in carrying around a couple bottles of wine while waiting for my room to be available.

This is such a great post a veteran cruiser who complains about the policy and having to go to the naughty room. If it were me and I was called down I would be apologizing to the guard in the room and be happy that I can bring my wine back up without a fight. There is an elevator literally 20 feet from the naughty room and then it would be about a 2 minute walk or so to your room.

If it was hard for you to carry those two bottles of wine back you could have asked the guard nicely if someone can help you to carry two bottles of wine.

Why are you making such a big deal to carry your wine from the naughty room to your cabin. Are you expecting them to apologize to you for them trying to enforce their policy? Heck your getting the rest of your alcohol back the night before you disembark.

This sounds like the OP is a bit snobby because as a veteran cruiser you should know the policies. Ahhhhh I can just imagine the OP right now going to guest services to complain that the cabin is too small, the beds aren't made, the steak is not good. Glad I wont be seeing this OP on a future RCI cruise.

I mean this is the least substantive complaint you could complain about. Would you tell a police officer who was enforcing the law to apologize for pulling you over? Its the same thing here.

Any beverage that has alcohol in it is the same....Alcohol....the only difference is the alcohol content.

Though technically true, there is a point where achieving a higher content requires a more specialized process as there is only so much the "biological" process can achieve. And why laws separate beer/wine from distilled products.

I like the normal common the best.....I consider all alcohol products the same.

I would also suggest you do some research on how Liquor and wine are produced as not all produces are created equally.

Don't need to, as I am already pretty familiar with the process. ;)

There really is a common perception (though not necessarily universal or even wide spread) that "liquor" is different than "beer and wine". But I have seen "liquor" be used to include all alcoholic beverages, including beer, wine, distilled, and fortified beverages.

If taken from the perspective that "liquor" is different than "wine", then responses were pretty accurate, in that the "liquor" will be confiscated (only "wine" is allowed).

If taken from the perspective that "liquor" includes all alcoholic beverages, then responses are at worst, incomplete, as some "liquor" will be accepted (wine), others will be confiscated (beer and distilled liquids, in theory, so would fortified wines, but I doubt the staff would either know the difference, or be willing to challenge the guest).

[quote name='canadianeh934']A typo is what you focused on....interesting, but not surprising at all, very common from people on this site!

So as long as a put a smiley ( stick out tongue is mocking to me) all is good.

I feel the whole splitting hairs on the Alcohol part of a post is ignoring the issue. The OP did nothing wrong as they put wine in their checked bags as the policy allows for this. I know that I'm not interested in carrying around a couple bottles of wine while waiting for my room to be available.[/quote]

Agreed. They did nothing wrong. And, I thought I was rather arguing in their favor somewhat, with the distinction between liquor and wine, because some people had focused on some previous thread where they asked about bringing liquor on board. The answers they got there didn't necessarily apply to wine.

And, yes, I was teasing you a little, too. But I seriously didn't have a clue what you were talking about, when I first read your post, because you twice referred to "the normal common", and I didn't know what that meant.

[quote name='sail2sea']That's the question. Did OP break any rules? Does Royal have a specific rule that allowed alcohol needs to go in carry-on?[/quote]

The problem is that liquor (something other than wine) is NOT allowed to be brought on. The scanners don't have the capability to say whether the bottles in the bag are wine or liquor so need to be looked at. The only way to do that is to have then opened. Since security cannot do it, you need to go open your bag and have them take a look.

Would it be nice for them to apologize, yes I am sure it would, but I am sure they see plenty of liquor on each and every cruise.

Bottom line, no they did not break the rules, but the bag needed to be checked to ensure they did not.

I skipped pages 4-5, so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'm ok with security personnel being strict in their demeanor. I doubt that they were intending to be rude, but between the language/cultural differences and that fact that it's their job to make sure that we are (1) safe and (2) following the rules, I don't think it's realistic to expect them to be smiling and apologetic. Just my thought.

We've only been to the naughty room once, and it was because both luggage tags had been torn off our suitcase. And yes, we had tipped the porter. They were curt with us, but they were also swamped with smuggled items. So we took our bag, rolled it 20 feet to the elevator, went up to our GS and proceeded to have a fabulous cruise. We've been back once or twice since.;)

dictionary says:

[B]Definition of [I]LIQUOR[/I][/B]

[B]:[/B] a [URL="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liquid"]liquid[/URL] substance: as
[I]a[/I] [B]:[/B] [B]a usually distilled rather than fermented alcoholic beverage [/B]
[I]b[/I] [B]:[/B] a watery solution of a drug
[I]c[/I] [B]:[/B] [URL="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bath"]bath[/URL] 2b(1)

[B]Examples of [I]LIQUOR [/I][/B][LIST=1]
[*]He drinks beer and wine, but he doesn't drink any [B]hard liquor[/B].
[*]vodka, whiskey, and other [I]liquors[/I]
[/LIST]

[quote name='travelplus']This is such a great post a veteran cruiser who complains about the policy and having to go to the naughty room. If it were me and I was called down I would be apologizing to the guard in the room and be happy that I can bring my wine back up without a fight. There is an elevator literally 20 feet from the naughty room and then it would be about a 2 minute walk or so to your room.

If it was hard for you to carry those two bottles of wine back you could have asked the guard nicely if someone can help you to carry two bottles of wine.

Why are you making such a big deal to carry your wine from the naughty room to your cabin. Are you expecting them to apologize to you for them trying to enforce their policy? Heck your getting the rest of your alcohol back the night before you disembark.

This sounds like the OP is a bit snobby because as a veteran cruiser you should know the policies. Ahhhhh I can just imagine the OP right now going to guest services to complain that the cabin is too small, the beds aren't made, the steak is not good. Glad I wont be seeing this OP on a future RCI cruise.

I mean this is the least substantive complaint you could complain about. Would you tell a police officer who was enforcing the law to apologize for pulling you over? Its the same thing here.[/quote]

RCI has no policy about Wine and that is the issue......no one can state otherwise. A veteran cruiser with RCI all know they have no policy as to how the wine is to be transported on to the ship.

Your comparison of the police is wrong as the OP has not broken any rule or policy or law.

Your opinion of the OP is also flawed IMHO as he/she did not complain about the size of the cabins/or the bed not being made in the post....

They complained about the fact that they were treated as smugglers and when found that they did nothing of the sort no change in attitude or a simply sorry was offered. The OP also complained that they were told to take the bag and no offer of delivering it to their room was made.

Do your job and treat others as you would want to be treated.....with respect. If the luggage contained not allowed alcohol or drugs etc then and only they should the treatment of a paid guest cross the line from polite to stern.

I can understand OP being uncertain about wine based on the prior thread. If you go back and look at that thread, especially the second response, it is pretty clear a distinction was being made between "liquor" and wine.

I agree that there is no excuse for rudeness, but let's be honest "naughty" room is our term for what is really just secondary screening. I don't understand why security personnel should apologize for pulling bags they are not sure about aside for further checking. Once he showed it was not contraband, he was out of there. I guess I am not seeing the issue.

I always wonder, when I read posts like this, what was the OP's attitude toward the employees when they went to pick up the luggage. Arrogant? Angry? Confrontational? It seems to me you often get treated the way you treat others....if you were pleasant and got treated badly in return, then that is a different matter.

On my last cruise, I was called to the naughty room for bathroom sundries. I typically bring my items from home, rather than purchasing travel sized versions. My shampoo, conditioner and hair spray apparently looked suspicious. I found it rather comical, to be honest.

[quote name='Winnigirl']I always wonder, when I read posts like this, what was the OP's attitude toward the employees when they went to pick up the luggage. Arrogant? Angry? Confrontational? It seems to me you often get treated the way you treat others....if you were pleasant and got treated badly in return, then that is a different matter.[/QUOTE]

Based on the post, what do you think?

I got called to Rhapsody's naughty room many years ago for having a pair of scissors in my checked bag. Funny enough, it was a scrapbooking cruise and about 100 women brought scissors (complying with the blade length regs, as I did) but mine was the only pair taken. Obviously mine was a randomly x-rayed bag and I had to borrow scissors all week. They were returned to me the night before so I could pack them (or maybe run amok for those last few hours, who knows?)

[quote name='florida lover']On a recent cruise with RCI one of our bags did not show up to our cabin by 7pm so I went to inquire and was told the bag had been "confiscated" because it had alcohol it in. I was then led to a little room by a very unpleasnt employee and instructed to open the bag so they could see what was in it. While several employees stood staring at me I got down on the floor and opened the bag and showed them two bottles of wine. Their published policy allows two bottles of wine per cabin. I was then told ok you can take your bag now (with the wine inside) and I was left to schlep the bag all the way to my cabin. Throughout this episode I was never offered any apology or kind word by any of them.

We are vetern cruisers on many different lines. I'm not at all happy about this encounter and it will be my last RCI cruise.[/quote]
I understand they were less than cordial but you are supposed to bring those bottles of wine in a carry-on so it can be inspected. Those bottles could have had anything in them. Security is important.

Like!

[quote name='beachnative']On January 5 you posted this in a thread YOU HAD STARTED discussing alcohol in checked bags: "Are carry on bags scanned/checked for bottles on embarcation?"

Your post was the one immediately after this one: "If bottles are detected on the scanners, your luggage will not be delivered and you will spend precious hours of your vacation time waiting in line to get into the naughty room where you will have to open your luggage, waive goodbye to your bottles and then haul your luggage to your cabin. Not worth it for the few times they might miss a bottle IMO."

Sorry that you are not happy, but the bags sent to the naughty room have shown something that needs to be checked out as stated in that thread.

If I were to be called to the naughty room I would not expect to find smiling, friendly faces.....it is a destination the for the "naughty";).

I have no sympathy for you.[/QUOTE]

Because the rules don't apply to everyone.

:rolleyes:

[quote name='maureencruiser']OK, I have to call shenanigans on you! Your thread on January 5th asked about taking LIQUOR in your checked luggage and you were told than you can't and your bags would be xrayed and if suspicious, you would be called to the naughty room and waste precious time. You were also told that you were allowed to CARRY ON 2 bottles of wine. You knew the deal, knew the potential consequences....why the huff now??[/QUOTE]

Archived