Cash Passport

Clay Clayton

I was going to open another account at my local bank for travel but there were several fees involved. The only way to avoid them was to link it to my current accounts so that wouldn't be much help to me. The Blue Bird account doesn't have any fees.

I think you can only use the Capital One card with direct deposit. I don't want do that.

I do plan on using my credit card for hotels and other things. I am just looking for a way to get cash when needed. I am taking some euros with me.

I may just rely on my current ATM card but I have read so many horror stories of having the card compromised that it concerns me. Most cases turned out fine but it was a real hassle trying to clear it up from Italy. I like my vacations to be as worry free as possible and want to keep my main banking accounts safe.

You are talking about using that debit card for ATM, buying things, paying for tours and not for cruise or hotels, right? There is a major issue with trying to use a debit card for booking a hotel and a cruise.

I don't know who you're directing the questions to, but I'll jump in.

We use our debit card for withdrawal of cash from ATM machines only. We use credit cards (Capital One being our first choice), for purchases, hotel bills, restaurants, etc.

I think you can only use the Capital One card with direct deposit. I don't want do that.

I do plan on using my credit card for hotels and other things. I am just looking for a way to get cash when needed. I am taking some euros with me.

I may just rely on my current ATM card but I have read so many horror stories of having the card compromised that it concerns me. Most cases turned out fine but it was a real hassle trying to clear it up from Italy. I like my vacations to be as worry free as possible and want to keep my main banking accounts safe.

You may want to check Capital One's website again. I have Capital One credit and debit cards and don't use direct deposit. I know some of their policies have changed recently, but it's worth a check.

I question whether ATM security is more of an issue in Europe than in the USA. We need to be careful wherever we use credit and debit cards. I always bring two debit cards when I travel abroad: Capital One and the one provided by my brokerage in the unlikely event one is compromised.

Lew

We use our debit card for withdrawal of cash from ATM machines only. We use credit cards (Capital One being our first choice), for purchases, hotel bills, restaurants, etc.

You may want to check Capital One's website again. I have Capital One credit and debit cards and don't use direct deposit. I know some of their policies have changed recently, but it's worth a check.

I question whether ATM security is more of an issue in Europe than in the USA. We need to be careful wherever we use credit and debit cards. I always bring two debit cards when I travel abroad: Capital One and the one provided by my brokerage in the unlikely event one is compromised.

Lew

How do you add money to your Capital One debit card if not through direct deposit? I already have the Capital One credit card.

I want to use the same system you have. I would like to have 2 debit cards with me for cash. One will be a card with enough money on it for my trip and that will be my 'go to' card. I will also bring the debit card associated with my main banking accounts as a back up for any emergencies that may arise.

How do you add money to your Capital One debit card if not through direct deposit? I already have the Capital One credit card.

I want to use the same system you have. I would like to have 2 debit cards with me for cash. One will be a card with enough money on it for my trip and that will be my 'go to' card. I will also bring the debit card associated with my main banking accounts as a back up for any emergencies that may arise.

You can transfer money from your regular account to your Cap One account online or you can add money via a check or other deposit at a Cap One ATM machine.

After setting up the checking account online I funded it with a deposit via paper check. Since then I have established an ACH connection between Capital One and my local bank and brokerage. Transferring cash in or out of the account is quick and easy via ACH.

Lew

Posted from my iPad Mini

Clay Clayton and luv2vacation: I'm curious why you'd choose the Amex option versus the Cap One option?

As I pointed out above, the Cap One 360 account does include ATMs in Europe.

:confused:

Mom...I don't necessarily like the idea of having another checking account...and given I don't see a real benefit over a preloaded debit card....or am I missing something?

I just wanted to bring this up. You are talking about using that debit card for ATM, buying things, paying for tours and not for cruise or hotels, right? There is a major issue with trying to use a debit card for booking a hotel and a cruise. In fact, I think cruises won't accept a pre-paid debit card (I vaguely remember a thread about this on NCL forum). If you use it for a hotel, a hotel will immediately place a hard hold on the full amount of your bill INCLUDING possibly $100/night for possible incidentals (my old hotel did the $100/night). This is unlike a true credit card, which only asks for a pre-authorization. If you don't use the entire amount they took from the debit card, it can take anywhere from 7-30 days to get it back (it isn't up to the business, but your financial institution).

Just a small warning.

I have a cap one credit card I am using and will use for all my European reservations, deposits and purchases....I am only looking for an ATM solution since my checking account is at a credit union and they don't have an international solution for accessing an ATM

Lew

Cap One's website says their prepaid card program is ending:mad:

IMPORTANT CHANGES TO YOUR PREPAID CARD

On March 31, 2013, our Prepaid MasterCard program ends.

After that date, all prepaid cards will no longer work and you will not be able to log-in to this servicing site to access your account.

If you have any questions, please call 1-866-532-9632.

Cap One's website says their prepaid card program is ending

My Capital One debit card is not a prepaid card. It's a traditional debit card funded by cash in a checking account.

Lew

Posted from my iPad Mini

I have a cap one credit card I am using and will use for all my European reservations, deposits and purchases....I am only looking for an ATM solution since my checking account is at a credit union and they don't have an international solution for accessing an ATM

Are you absolutely positive that your CU doesn't have a way to access an out-of-country ATM? I can do it with my CU. The Debit/ATM card is a Visa card. On the back, there are all the types of systems I can use it with. I never had a problem anywhere with it, including a little village in the former East Germany back in the late 1990s...

My comments about charge vs debit were for the OP (you). I just wanted to be sure you did understand the difference when traveling. I've worked for a hotel where we had folks who didn't understand and were VERY upset when they found out we took all the money in the account for their stay and they had nothing left.

After setting up the checking account online I funded it with a deposit via paper check. Since then I have established an ACH connection between Capital One and my local bank and brokerage. Transferring cash in or out of the account is quick and easy via ACH.

Lew

Posted from my iPad Mini

Thanks for the info. I would be fine with sending them a check to fund the account. This may be the way to go for me.

Archived