Children in the steakhouse

hayesktrm

Age restrictions in the steakhouse?  

582 members have voted

1. 1. Age restrictions in the steakhouse?

• No age restrictions, everyone is welcome
    • No babies under 2
    • Only 12 and older allowed
    • Only 16 and older allowed

This is a lot of posts for nobody to have even attempted to explain what it means for children to "act like goats"

I think I would enjoy using that expression from time to time, it's pretty funny. But I want to make sure I have the context correct

I think the steakhouse should at least have times that no children are allowed, but I think goats should ALWAYS be banned unless cooked medium rare

I am unapologetically anti-goat

Yep, didn't your parent ever tell you, life isn't fair.

So because you're self admittedly unruly 13 year old nephew can't behave in a mature manner in a restaurant, then other parents and kids have to feel the consequences. Gotcha. Lets ban 'em all because of a bratty kid.

ETA: Thought I'd throw in that, like you, I don't have kids, yet I can still see your reasoning is ridiculous. I have 13 and 15 year old nieces that I've brought to Ben Benson's Steak House and Nobu on their recent trip to Manhattan. They didn't need to be told to behave because their parents instilled that quality in them. Perhaps your nephew's parents should learn to do the same.

There is no selection for me to vote....can someone please cut and paste the current poll results or I'll have to vote 2 and under to see them:D

No age restrictions, everyone is welcome 68 16.59%

No babies under 2 55 13.41%

Only 12 and older allowed 201 49.02%

Only 16 and older allowed 86 20.98%

If I'm not mistaken, message board hyperbole regulations mandate that we interpret this as "83.41% of cruise critic hates babies and 16.59% are unsophisticated savages who don't mind sharing their food with goats"

No age restrictions, everyone is welcome 68 16.59%

No babies under 2 55 13.41%

Only 12 and older allowed 201 49.02%

Only 16 and older allowed 86 20.98%

If I'm not mistaken, message board hyperbole regulations mandate that we interpret this as "83.41% of cruise critic hates babies and 16.59% are unsophisticated savages who don't mind sharing their food with goats"

Thanks LMAO!!!!! I've seen more adults at the buffet act like goats then kids in the steakhouse.......:D:o....

This issue should be a parenting problem and yet almost every person on this tread states that "my little Susie has perfect manners" or "our Johnny does just fine with a 2 hour dinner" or "my 9 month old will just sleep" and yet how many times are others made to put up with disruptive children - so just whose kids are the disruptive ones because everyone's on cc are perfect. ;) And that is the problem because no one sees it when it is THEM. I don't need a screaming baby to have a dinner ruined - how bout the toddler that does the whole "mom, mom, mom, mom" while you chat away and ignore it. Or the kid throwing down his toys (bang) - parent picks it up - kid throws it down (bang) - repeat repeat repeat. Or the little one standing on the chair with it's face in our conversation - no thank you.

I've raised 3 children myself, I don't mind dining with yours IF they are quiet and stay seated and if they aren't I'm going to be the one to complain. In this case I would have gone to guest relations and refused to pay for such a bad experience.

Wow the results of this poll has me flabbergasted. I was very surprised by the amount that voted for no kids under 12, but completely shocked how many people voted for no kids under 16.

Yes some parents don't look after situations they should, but that also shouldn't mean those with children who do know how to behave should be penalized.

I wonder if there should be an option for adult drunks that have affected my dining experience far more often than children have on land and at sea.

I would like them to open it up to families for the first couple of hours and After that limit it 16 or older.

That way you would have the option of dining with whatever group you prefer

I think this would be a very good option.

If the kids are well-behaved, I have no problems with it (I have none myself). At age 5, I was going to white table cloth restaurants with my family (I have 5 siblings).

All of us kids were always shocked with the restaurant managers, wait staff, owners, etc would come over to our parents and compliment them on how well behaved we were, since we didn't know there were any other options.....

:)

Gotta love my parents!!

Wow the results of this poll has me flabbergasted. I was very surprised by the amount that voted for no kids under 12, but completely shocked how many people voted for no kids under 16.

Yes some parents don't look after situations they should, but that also shouldn't mean those with children who do know how to behave should be penalized.

I wonder if there should be an option for adult drunks that have affected my dining experience far more often than children have on land and at sea.

I can only assume if there was an option for NO OTHER PEOPLE, that would be getting votes as well.

I don t agree with a policy, not all parents have the luxury to leave their kids alone. If I was Carnival, I would allow the option of take out to enjoy the food. That way parents with kids and can t leave them alone for specific reasons can still experience the meal. I am a parent, I would feel unfair if I am not allowed to ANY restaurant because I have young kids, but I definitely would do something about my kids not behaving.

Based on an experience we had on a Carnival ship where a young child screamed for two hours and nothing was done even though many people complained to the manager, I feel that there are places that young children don't belong. Do you feel your young kids should be hanging out in a bar if that's what you wanted to do? Before you get ticked, I am just using that as an example.

There are reasons that children aren't allowed everyplace. My granddaughter is seven and if she were on a cruise and we wanted to go to the steak house, we would take her because she is used to eating out in nice restaurants. Would we have taken her at 2? Part of parenting is knowing your kids and making choices based on what's good for them.

I do appreciate that you would do something about your kids if they were misbehaving, but to feel that all kids are welcome all places is wrong in my opinion. I am not picking on you per se, I just feel that one of the reasons kids today are feeling they can do whatever they want is that boundaries don't exist for many kids. Subjecting a young child to a two hour dinner and perhaps food that they aren't used to is unfair to the child and selfish of the parent.

Life is plenty fair honey...kids are very much allowed in the steak house. ;)

AGAIN -this poll is not about what is allowed or not but what is your opinion. And I am in totally agreement that life IS NOT FAIR - sometimes people do not think your kid is the next best thing to sliced bread even though you would never go anywhere or do anything without them (not you but in general) I love my kids to death but also enjoy some time alone with my husband. And guess what - they are still alive

I liked the person who said "make the steakhouse adults only, like Serenity." That really stuck with me because no one complains that this is adults only. There are other restaurants that you can go to (with probably more kid-friendly food), so it's not like if they said adults only you would starve.

Maybe on the newer ships with more dining options, they could put in a true adult-only restaurant.

I do have to say that we have been to the steakhouse twice and, so far, no unruly kids. I think that most people think it's ridiculous to pay $35 for a meal for a child.

Oh, and to the person that insinuated that I didn't enjoy my kids' company, really??? I adore my children, but part of being a good parent is taking time for yourself to recharge so you can really be there for your kids. Wanting some time away from your kids doesn't make you a bad parent, it makes you sane. I have two incredible, talented, gifted, kind kids who adore me--so I know we have done a lot right.

I just saw a post on Facebook from John Heald stating a man was upset because he went for a nice dinner at the steakhouse and there was a baby crying and nothing was done. So, would you have a minimum age requirement? Disney had that when we cruised with them and it was wonderful. I would not be happy to pay $35/pp and have to listen to that. IMHO, that is no place for a small baby.

Who do you think has more invested? The couple who spent 70 bucks for a nice evening or the kid who could have just as well been in Topeka?

Personally I think the parents owe the couple a refund.

i took my grand daughter to the steak house on the Pride. she was 6 and handled the experience like a little lady. it was her first time in a situation like this and it was a learning experience. if she fot bpred we were'leaving but she did handlemit well. i do npt think there should be an age limit because we would have missed out.. but really- taking a baby?

There IS indeed such an option! It is called a door.

i took my grand daughter to the steak house on the Pride. she was 6 and handled the experience like a little lady. it was her first time in a situation like this and it was a learning experience. if she fot bpred we were'leaving but she did handlemit well. i do npt think there should be an age limit because we would have missed out.. but really- taking a baby?

On the other hand, ,many chlidren her age is never fot bpred, even in the best of circumstances...

AGAIN -this poll is not about what is allowed or not but what is your opinion. And I am in totally agreement that life IS NOT FAIR - sometimes people do not think your kid is the next best thing to sliced bread even though you would never go anywhere or do anything without them (not you but in general) I love my kids to death but also enjoy some time alone with my husband. And guess what - they are still alive

Your right life isn't fair...but the way it stands now, I find the steak house rules more fair than your version. I enjoy some dinners with just my DH too....but even if it is just the 2 of us going out, I don't expect the other diners to leave their children at home. Most of the time I don't even notice who is sitting around me because in my experience the rude parents are the exception not the rule...

By the way enjoy your kids while you can, they get to be teens its like pulling teeth to get them to go out to dinner with Mom and Dad. I'm really starting to miss our family meals out...:(

Based on an experience we had on a Carnival ship where a young child screamed for two hours and nothing was done even though many people complained to the manager, I feel that there are places that young children don't belong. Do you feel your young kids should be hanging out in a bar if that's what you wanted to do? Before you get ticked, I am just using that as an example.

Your example is one of selfish adults (the parents) and a cruise line that is in need of a better management.

It is not about a place where all kids don't belong.

Carnival sucks when it comes to rules. Even things that are supposed to be adult only really aren't. IF they took care of the parents/kids that were disruptive this wouldn't even be an issue...but they don't.

It is ridiculous to ban all kids. If you did a poll on how many people actually were disrupted by a child in the steak house, I would guarantee the number of people who have had this experience (if answered honestly), wouldn't warrant this regulation. I have eaten in a steak house/surcharge restaurant on every ship I have sailed since there was such a thing as paying extra and I have NEVER experienced this. I know it must happen on occasion, but I wager it doesn't happen often enough to make a regulation.

So because you're self admittedly unruly 13 year old nephew can't behave in a mature manner in a restaurant, then other parents and kids have to feel the consequences. Gotcha. Lets ban 'em all because of a bratty kid.

LIKE! Finally, the voice of common sense and reason!

LIKE! Finally, the voice of common sense and reason!

I don't like bratty/bad kids either...and their parents?? I'd like to strangle them...but over the past decades of cruising, I have seen far more good kids/parents than bad ones.

Yeah, the bad ones do stick out, but if there is a screaming kid in the dining room, they should be expelled. Not all kids should be banned. If there is a horribly obnoxious drunk, he should be cut off...the cruise line shouldn't ban everyone from drinking because of it.

I bet most of you have been in the steak house with kids in there and didn't even know it.

I don't like bratty/bad kids either...and their parents?? I'd like to strangle them...but over the past decades of cruising, I have seen far more good kids/parents than bad ones.

Yeah, the bad ones do stick out, but if there is a screaming kid in the dining room, they should be expelled. Not all kids should be banned. If there is a horribly obnoxious drunk, he should be cut off...the cruise line shouldn't ban everyone from drinking because of it.

I bet most of you have been in the steak house with kids in there and didn't even know it.

See? That's just it. How many remember the times flights have concluded without a baby crying or some &^%!@! kicking your seat? You don't remember those!

But, onboard an airplane you have a steward/ess who will come to your rescue. Usually.

Archived