Who may we forget to tip?

tizzylizz

We have prepaid gratuities & understand we can tip for additional well deserved service...but, other then the ship employees & cab drivers....please let me know who else we should tip. At the port? At ports of call? Excursions?

Thanks all...kind of a cruise newbie here! :)

I'm sure others will have other thoughts that I've forgotten but when you drop off your bags you should tip the porters. On most excursions you tip the guide and driver. Your prepaid tips cover the ship staff so unless you feel that someone has given you exceptional service and you want to add to that, you don't need to tip anything additional.

I'm sure others will have other thoughts that I've forgotten but when you drop off your bags you should tip the porters. On most excursions you tip the guide and driver. Your prepaid tips cover the ship staff so unless you feel that someone has given you exceptional service and you want to add to that, you don't need to tip anything additional.

Unless you have a beverage package you will pay a tip on the bill for any drinks purchased,

On our last cruise the porter told us to, "Go put your bags on that cart over there..." which I did. Then I couldn't figure out why I should tip him since I'm the one who moved the bags around. The carts just get rolled onto the ship by other (not at the roadside) porters. I decided he didn't deserve a tip for telling me where to put my own luggage. That would be like tipping the guy at the airport for putting your luggage through the x-ray or the nice lady at the counter for taking it from the scale to the conveyor belt.

I usually tip if I see some reason for it, but I didn't at that point. Maybe he should have tipped me? :)

Tom

On our last cruise the porter told us to, "Go put your bags on that cart over there..." which I did. Then I couldn't figure out why I should tip him since I'm the one who moved the bags around. The carts just get rolled onto the ship by other (not at the roadside) porters. I decided he didn't deserve a tip for telling me where to put my own luggage. That would be like tipping the guy at the airport for putting your luggage through the x-ray or the nice lady at the counter for taking it from the scale to the conveyor belt.

I usually tip if I see some reason for it, but I didn't at that point. Maybe he should have tipped me? :)

Tom

Tom - I agree with this also; however, for some reason it's always in my mind the roadside porter is the one guy whose bad side I don't want to be on. I'd hate to have my bag mistagged or misplaced by a porter who felt slighted. Highly unlikely - yes; still possible - I think absolutely.

Yes!!!

The public areas with hand towels, and cleanliness are an unsung great perk of Celebrity.

Tom

We like to tip the person who makes sure the public area toilets are clean & opens the door for you when you are using them.

Good point. Can you say extortion? :rolleyes:

Tom

Tom - I agree with this also; however, for some reason it's always in my mind the roadside porter is the one guy whose bad side I don't want to be on. I'd hate to have my bag mistagged or misplaced by a porter who felt slighted. Highly unlikely - yes; still possible - I think absolutely.

Unless you have a beverage package you will pay a tip on the bill for any drinks purchased,

Excellent point. I just don't think of it because it's automatically added. There's no need to add an additional tip to the check. Although, at the end of a cruise we might add some extra for a favorite bartender.

If you purchase the beverage package, you've also paid the gratuity, in advance of sailing. The staff still get their tip.

Yes!!!

The public areas with hand towels, and cleanliness are an unsung great perk of Celebrity.

Tom

Totally agree with you. The people here do a fantastic job and many walk by them without even saying good morning. We always chat with them and note their names. At the end of the cruise we mention them on the cruise review card. We have been told that this is actually better than a tip for all staff on board.

We prepay our gratuities and feel that this is enough. Must admit we smile :p when we see 'I am a good tipper, I always tip well over, etc 'what bench mark do they use for tipping? Are they really giving discreet extra dollar or two OR look at me ! How generous am I! Sorry know this will upset some but sometimes the truth hurts.

Another point, what is the difference between good, very good and excellent service? I expect the latter - which I consider I have paid for with my prepaid tips. We have always received excellent service with friendly staff.

Pp

The ship's Activities team are perhaps worth tipping!

But then I would suggest that as my daughter is one of them currently on Constellationicon7.gif

Excellent they are too. We were on the Constellation in Feb. and they were a very lively group:D

Many people will tip the children's staff (if they have kids) or the concierge. I tip for room service. On excursions I tip the guide and driver. Sometimes there is a "specialty" guide for portions of the excursion. Examples would be a docent for a museum/gallery tour, an archeologist or historian for historical places, etc. I will tip that guide as well. I've done excursions that included beach time and will tip the guy who sets up the lounge chair/umbrella.

Is bringing your own bag to the cart becoming normal service? I remember when the porters would come to your vehicle/taxi to help unload your bags and the porter carried them to the luggage drop-off area. To me, that was tip-worthy service and I would tip $5 for a couple bags. In Galveston one year we had an eager porter who started grabbing everything from the bed of my truck as soon as we pulled in, including my toolbox and offshore gear. He was quick! I think he would have unloaded my spare tire, too, if we hadn't stopped him. :p

Last time I sailed from Ft. Lauderdale, the porter came over, looked at the luggage tags, and told us to put our bags on cart X. He never touched the bags but he had his hand out for a tip. In San Juan, there was a line to drop off the bags. At the front of the line was a man at a table who looked at the tags, gave tags to people who needed them, then told you to put your bag on the cart. He had a tip jar sitting on the table. There were a couple other guys who rolled the cart away when it was full, but they didn't help put the luggage on the cart. I had to help an older woman who couldn't lift her bag. The porters just watched me and didn't offer any assistance. I didn't feel obligated to give more than a buck for that lack of service.

Totally agree with you. The people here do a fantastic job and many walk by them without even saying good morning. We always chat with them and note their names. At the end of the cruise we mention them on the cruise review card. We have been told that this is actually better than a tip for all staff on board.

We prepay our gratuities and feel that this is enough. Must admit we smile :p when we see 'I am a good tipper, I always tip well over, etc 'what bench mark do they use for tipping? Are they really giving discreet extra dollar or two OR look at me ! How generous am I! Sorry know this will upset some but sometimes the truth hurts.

Another point, what is the difference between good, very good and excellent service? I expect the latter - which I consider I have paid for with my prepaid tips. We have always received excellent service with friendly staff.

Pp

The guy I love the most, is the one on the first day that runs around the ship with a wad of cash in his hand. He hands it out and slaps the staff members on the back and says "Hey, buddy (because he would never take the time to learn someone's name), there is more of this for you if you take really, really good care of me". Of course, he does it very loudly, so that everyone hears what he is doing. Then there is the guy who has to tell everyone how much he tips over and over and over again (I think most realize that if you have to keep telling someone something, you are usually not doing it).

The guy I love the most, is the one on the first day that runs around the ship with a wad of cash in his hand. He hands it out and slaps the staff members on the back and says "Hey, buddy (because he would never take the time to learn someone's name), there is more of this for you if you take really, really good care of me". Of course, he does it very loudly, so that everyone hears what he is doing. Then there is the guy who has to tell everyone how much he tips over and over and over again (I think most realize that if you have to keep telling someone something, you are usually not doing it).

I totally agree with you. I am sure staff appreciate you really noticing them and remembering their names. I have seen 'ladies'!!! Take towels from staff in washrooms without even saying thank you. Did I say ladies:rolleyes:

I'd still like to know what 'I always over tip'means seen this numerous times:rolleyes:

I totally agree with you. I am sure staff appreciate you really noticing them and remembering their names. I have seen 'ladies'!!! Take towels from staff in washrooms without even saying thank you. Did I say ladies:rolleyes:

I'd still like to know what 'I always over tip'means seen this numerous times:rolleyes:

I think it means, in their opinion they over tip, but it doesn't mean that they over tip the norm. I have a neighbor who says what a great tipper she is and she will not tip over 15% no matter how good the service is, but to her that is great.

Your flight attendant, for looking after you on your flight to your holiday destination?

Your gynogologist for your last pap smear?

The supermarket clerk for packing your shopping?

The teenager in the cinema for shining his torch to your seat?

The girl at Mac Donald's for asking if you want fries with that?

The guy at the car show room?

The lady et the post office for giving you a nice stamp?

Enough already!

Are YOU receiving tips from your customers?

Tip whoever you want.

Tip, don't tip.

Whatever.

In the US tips for ANY remotely service staff seem to be expected.

The rest of the civilized world tips for services "above and beyond" and tips are accepted gratefully but are not expected as a matter of course.

Nobody is beating the "poor staff" on board a ship with a stick.

They are there because they want to be there.

They are there because they are financially better off than "at home".

If "They" provide good service and create a good experience, I tip above the "forced upon us gratuity". Anything less, I will not tip extra. But I would not dream of removing any of the standard service charges.

You must remember, in the US the "porters" are members of the Longshoreman's Union and are usually throwing general cargo and containers around. We always tip the porters and at least one of our bags has a tag "we love longshoremen." Both seem to help get our bags to our cabin promptly and in good order.

Glenn:cool:

Archived