Is 600€ for tour typical for Rome in Limo-Rome Day Tour

rdtsmith1234

Myself and two teenagers traveling and was quoted 600€ for a Rome in Limo day tour of Rome. Plus 150€ for Vatican guide. Am I too cheap? I quickly cancelled then they said I could add folks from our cruise and they'd knock off about 150€ I think it was.

So, now, since I've already been to Rome once, I thought I'd navigate train/metro myself, buy Vatican and combo Colosseum tickets online and do it on our own using public transportation.

Am I crazy? Has anyone else done this? Is it so expensive at Rome in Limo because of car/driver hire? They don't walk you inside anywhere do they?

Just wondering if I made the right decision.....

I am hoping this tour company question is ok to ask since I am requesting info and not recommending.

Myself and two teenagers traveling and was quoted 600€ for a Rome in Limo day tour of Rome. Plus 150€ for Vatican guide. Am I too cheap? I quickly cancelled then they said I could add folks from our cruise and they'd knock off about 150€ I think it was.

So, now, since I've already been to Rome once, I thought I'd navigate train/metro myself, buy Vatican and combo Colosseum tickets online and do it on our own using public transportation.

Am I crazy? Has anyone else done this? Is it so expensive at Rome in Limo because of car/driver hire? They don't walk you inside anywhere do they?

I am hoping this tour company question is ok to ask since I am requesting info and not recommending.

Are you sure you booked a private tour with them, you might used their sharing site, I have looked at their site and their rate for 4 people is 500 euros.

Drivers are not guides, although they can and do provide you with lots of information while conveying you from place to place. You are correct that they cannot accompany you anywhere. If you want a guide you must pay separately for that service.

If you've already been to Rome you know that the primary benefit the car and driver services offer for a port day is the effortless (on your part) transport from the ship to the city and back. Once in Rome there's little need for transport as everything is so close to everything else.

The train is simple to do, and very inexpensive at 12 Euro (for a BIRG ticket, that covers round trip train fare as well as all mass transit in Rome for the day) but it comes with its own hassles and risks. Each cruiser has to weigh the costs and benefits for themselves.

Thanks for your help! Yes, this was on their tour sharing site, so it was not a private tour...but I am STILL confused so cancelled it, because I didn't really understand it..paying for a driver and vehicle. I did the same thing in Athens for 10 people, and the cost was at least half the cost.

I did look on the cruise line's websites for their tours, and they offer a bus that takes you to St Peters and then picks you up at the end of the day. It was very cheap and that way, I think I can put my own tour together, buying skip the line tickets for what we need and deciding later if I want a guide for maybe a short walking tour in town...I think that is more my speed and a lot more flexible. I also was afraid we'd be hooked into a driver/car that was either boring or something that wouldn't hold teenagers' attention...you know how it goes!

Thanks again all and looking forward to blogging about this particular cruise/trip over on my blog:-)

600 euros???

Let me know when you're going & I'll motor down through Europe, drive you myself, & give you a big discount. ;)

Alternatively, splash out the magnificent sum of 12 euros per person & take the direct train. Your train ticket also gives you free travel on the city's service buses (not ho-ho buses) & metro, though most sights are walkable.

Does take some research & effort but there's plenty of info on this forum & elsewhere - for instance where to alight for the Vatican (San Pietro) or Colosseum (Ostiense then metro) or Trevi (Termini then metro), route-planning & timing, & when/how to buy tickets in advance.

If you are not accompanied to the sights by the tour operator, it means the vehicle is single-manned (for 600 euros??) & the driver has to stay with the car because of the parking problems.

JB :)

Car and driver private excursions in Italy are much more expensive than anywhere else. You have the experience to do this on your own.

The train only includes Rome city transit if you buy a BIRG ticket. Do a search on the Ports of Call Italy page for "civitavecchia rome train birg" and you will get lots of information.

There are youtube posts about taking the train. Also do an internet search for ron in rome.

Rick Steves' guide for Rome is excellent as well.

As Maryann said, private tours in Italy (and also in France) are expensive. This is one strong incentive why DW and I started doing our own thing over thirty years ago and rarely take organized tours. In the case of Rome you might want to consider the alternative. You can easily get to Rome on the train (there is a free port shuttle to the port entrance from where you walk about 4-5 blocks to the train station) and you only need a BIRG Ticket (as mentioned by Maryann) which will cost you 12 Euros per person. That BIRG ticket covers your round trip transportation to Rome (as fast as a car or bus) plus you can also use that same BIRG ticket for unlimited access to Rome's Metro and buses (for 24 hours). So, for about $15 (per person)you have paid for all your days transportation (as opposed to 600 Euros for a car). At the Vatican you can simply wait in line and pay the entrance fee to visit the Vatican Museums (this includes the Sistine Chapel). Keep in mind that the Vatican Museums are closed on most Sundays.

It is similar in a majority of European ports. If you do your homework you can usually do things on your own for a lot less money then being part of a large group. For those that love being part of a large group (we call them cattle drives) a tour is a good thing. But for those of us who prefer to do what we want, when we want, with whom we want....and also save money....then DIY (Do it Yourself) is a great option.

Hank

As Euro Cruiser said, one must weigh the pros and cons of transport. Friends of ours who used the train into Rome got caught in a rail strike and had to find their own way back to port. I would rather go in a group with a driver service and pay the extra. The tour guide? Ours was excellent and worth every penny but you may find the audio guide suits you better.

Shelly

Friends of ours who used the train into Rome got caught in a rail strike and had to find their own way back to port.

It's nearly impossible to get caught in a strike if you do your homework, since strikes in Italy must be announced weeks in advance. There are two government web sites to keep an eye on:

* Commission on strikes: http://www.cgsse.it/web/guest;jsessionid=vRm94K2MUkbmYkYz166Ljw__

* Transport ministry: http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi

I must admit, that having traveled in Europe for over thirty years we have never understood all this strike hype. Yes, we have been caught in a few strikes over the years, but they were all announced in advance. And, even if your train was late or got cancelled from Rome back to FCO you could simply hire a taxi at the train station. That taxi should cost no more then 150 Euros (100 Euros would be possible) which is still a lot cheaper then paying a car/driver 600 Euros.

Hank

You already said this was the "tour share" price which means it's probably a total for up to 10-12 people which wouldn't be bad if you had that many and Rome In Limo does a great job....but you have to decide what's right for you. Their drivers are MUCH more than drivers they have so much information and are able to get to places quickly and no waiting in lines, they also know places to go that you may never have thought about but again it's all about what you want and if you feel confidene navigating on your own then go for it...

With your advice, I've been able to come up with something I feel comfortable with! Funny I was in Rome for the marathon this month...coming from the airport just my husband and I...and for some reason, I'm stressing more about this trip with just the boys!

I did prebook the Vatican tickets and have put together a walking route which would leave plenty of time for wandering side streets, shopping, ice cream and a long lunch! Debating whether to prebook the Colesseum combo online...one because we won't have time to wander thru all three venues and two, I noticed you can't get the kids' tickets online, so I'm afraid that even if I buy my ticket, I'll still have to stand in some kind of line? It says go to the Group window...but when I was there last week...I could've sworn there were tons of groups standing by that window? But boys and gladiators....hmmmm...can't miss that?

It sounds like you booked a mini van for 8? This is a fantastic company and rated VERY high on both the Cruise Critic and the Trip Advisor. With a mini van for 8 you can see if people on your cruise (Roll Call) want to join you. That is the most cost effective way to go. I've done it on many occasions and have always found people to join us. I also would TOTALLY go with the added private guide into the Vatican. It really makes a huge difference.

You cannot go wrong with Romeinlimo.

By the way, no private tour company is allowed to accompany you inside the historical sites/monuments.

By the way, no private tour company is allowed to accompany you inside the historical sites/monuments.

I think what you mean to say is that no private driver can accompany you inside.

I've had plenty of private tours that have included guided visits into sites ranging from the Colosseum/Forum to the Vatican museum and St. Peter's.

I believe they said they would knock 150€ off the price or was it 200€ if I filled the van looking on cruisecritic.com for other passengers who wanted to go with...still too cheap for that! Maybe when I'm retired and have more money:-)

I just downloaded some more apps and one has pretty nifty walking tours with lots of music and fanfare...like watching the History Channel. That way too if the boys get bored (I hope not), I'm only out a few cents for the app!

I'm sure I'll be back some day where I can do what I want to do:-) Again thanks!

I think what you mean to say is that no private driver can accompany you inside.

I've had plenty of private tours that have included guided visits into sites ranging from the Colosseum/Forum to the Vatican museum and St. Peter's.

I am sure you are talking about the same thing, every tour company can provide you an extra guide to come inside the sites with you, drivers are not allowed to go inside the sites with you.

Hey, have fun, we LOVE Italy :)

I am sure you are talking about the same thing, every tour company can provide you an extra guide to come inside the sites with you, drivers are not allowed to go inside the sites with you.

Hey, have fun, we LOVE Italy :)

Actually, no. Hylasgirl and Cruisemom are not talking about the same thing. A licensed driver drives tourists from site to site and, at his discretion, will supply information and/entertainment during the drive. A licensed tour guide will accompany visitors into each site and provide information on the spot. (These guides tend to have advanced degrees in a pertinent field (e.g. art history, archaeology, classics, religion).

Folks who have traveled a lot and/or read this board a lot understand this distinction, but we owe it to new visitors to our board to be precise. Some folks are more interested in information and are perfectly confident about getting themselves from place to place. Some folks are more interested in having a seamless and convenient experience. These two different groups will likely come to different decisions about choosing a private driver or a private tour guide.

Private drive companies also have the ability to hire licensed free lance guides who will provide information inside a site. Still, the name of these drive companies (e.g. RomeinLimo or RomeCabs) gives potential clients a good idea of where their priorities lie.

BTW, I asked about the pricing of European tours, why it was so high relative speaking and one of our was very honest about it.

The short answer is gas, operating insurance and licensing are all very high there, driving up operating costs. It can cost 1500 euros a month or more just for a license to operate in some cities per vehicle, gas is about $10 per gallon, etc. And that's before wear and tear and paying the driver, parking, and overhead.

Basically it just costs a lot more to do business there.

If you can find some people to share, a private driver is very nice and becomes much more affordable, but I have to admit for a party of 2 its VERY expensive.

We used RIL for a party of 8 we set up via roll call in each port in Italy and the cost worked out to about 75-80 euros per person per day, including private guides at the Vatican and Pompeii (which are the only two sites I felt needed them, the driver's overview of the rest was absolutely fine)

Actually, no. Hylasgirl and Cruisemom are not talking about the same thing. A licensed driver drives tourists from site to site and, at his discretion, will supply information and/entertainment during the drive. A licensed tour guide will accompany visitors into each site and provide information on the spot. (These guides tend to have advanced degrees in a pertinent field (e.g. art history, archaeology, classics, religion).

Folks who have traveled a lot and/or read this board a lot understand this distinction, but we owe it to new visitors to our board to be precise. Some folks are more interested in information and are perfectly confident about getting themselves from place to place. Some folks are more interested in having a seamless and convenient experience. These two different groups will likely come to different decisions about choosing a private driver or a private tour guide.

Private drive companies also have the ability to hire licensed free lance guides who will provide information inside a site. Still, the name of these drive companies (e.g. RomeinLimo or RomeCabs) gives potential clients a good idea of where their priorities lie.

Thank you for so clearly explaining what I meant. :)

BTW, I asked about the pricing of European tours, why it was so high relative speaking and one of our was very honest about it.

The short answer is gas, operating insurance and licensing are all very high there, driving up operating costs. It can cost 1500 euros a month or more just for a license to operate in some cities per vehicle, gas is about $10 per gallon, etc. And that's before wear and tear and paying the driver, parking, and overhead.

Basically it just costs a lot more to do business there.

If you can find some people to share, a private driver is very nice and becomes much more affordable, but I have to admit for a party of 2 its VERY expensive.

We used RIL for a party of 8 we set up via roll call in each port in Italy and the cost worked out to about 75-80 euros per person per day, including private guides at the Vatican and Pompeii (which are the only two sites I felt needed them, the driver's overview of the rest was absolutely fine)

Indeed, the cost of gas is a large part of the expense of these private tours. Gas is expensive in Europe, which is why most Europeans have become far more comfortable using public transportation than Americans are.

Despite what some urban mythologizers would have us believe, Italian trains are easy to use and navigate and they run as promised the VAST majority of the time. Strikes are rarely random; most have to be announced in advance by law.

There is always someone who knows the cousin of the BIL of a friend of another passenger who was stranded by an Italian train. But the FACT is that the risk is quite small if you do your homework in advance (checking for scheduled strikes). Worst case scenario, if you are in Rome and there is some kind of strike or disturbance, you can get back to the port in a taxi for around 120 euro....which is still a lot less than a 600 euro tour if you are a small group.

To me, it is a priority to spend my budgeted tour funds on the things that will provide the most bang for my buck. I'd much, much rather use cheap public transportation to get to a location and then hire a really good private guide or a small custom tour if desired.

Of course there are times when a private tour makes sense: if you have a large enough group and all want to see the same things; if you have young children and/or people who are mobility challenged. And some places lend themselves to a car-and-driver type tour, like the Amalfi Coast.

But for a couple or small group that can do a little research and a good amount of walking, I personally would not feel a private tour is needed or even necessarily better for a day in Rome.

I believe they said they would knock 150€ off the price or was it 200€ if I filled the van looking on cruisecritic.com for other passengers who wanted to go with...still too cheap for that! Maybe when I'm retired and have more money:-)

I just downloaded some more apps and one has pretty nifty walking tours with lots of music and fanfare...like watching the History Channel. That way too if the boys get bored (I hope not), I'm only out a few cents for the app!

I'm sure I'll be back some day where I can do what I want to do:-) Again thanks!

The Rome in limo touring site quotes a price of 450 euros for their highlights of Rome tour for one person, and the more people that join, the cheaper it gets pp. If you get 4 others to join your 4, you will pay 75 euros each, which brings the cost down significantly.

If you are okay doing it on your own, then you will save most of that expense.

we use RIL every time we go to Rome & Pompii - they have always been professional and even with 3 people, well worth the cost. The drivers are knowledgable and we have gotten very good guides for Pompii and the Vatican tours. Why not spend a little more for the convenience.....I don't like getting packed into a big bus and then having to wait for the stragglers....JMHO

Yes, excuse me... I meant to say ANY of the touring companies that are vans/private tours cannot accompany you into the historical sites. And yes, if you hire a private GUIDE, they of course can.

Why not spend a little more for the convenience.....I don't like getting packed into a big bus and then having to wait for the stragglers....JMHO

Luckily there are other options besides the ship tour or a private tour. You can plan to do the port on your own, taking public transportation and doing your research in advance. Or you can use public transportation to get somewhere and then join a non-private tour (for example, Athens Walks in Athens; one of the official Vatican tours in Rome). And I'm sure there are other options I haven't even thought of!

Not everycan wants to or can afford to"spend a little more". It's good that there are options for everybody, and no single one is necessarily the best...

Yes, excuse me... I meant to say ANY of the touring companies that are vans/private tours cannot accompany you into the historical sites. And yes, if you hire a private GUIDE, they of course can.

I still find what you're saying to be a little confusing. Maybe it's just me. To be clear, you can take a TOUR (large group, small group or private) in just about any city that doesn't involve hiring an additional private GUIDE to accompany you into sites. For example, the many excellent small group tours offered by Context Travel in Rome.

But if you hire a DRIVER SERVICE like Rome in Limo or several others, you must also hire a private guide to accompany you into sites.

Car and driver private excursions in Italy are much more expensive than anywhere else. You have the experience to do this on your own.

The train only includes Rome city transit if you buy a BIRG ticket. Do a search on the Ports of Call Italy page for "civitavecchia rome train birg" and you will get lots of information.

There are youtube posts about taking the train. Also do an internet search for ron in rome.

Rick Steves' guide for Rome is excellent as well.

Yes, private excursions in Italy are VERY high (France too). My wife and I hired a private driver for the day when we docked in Salerno last year. Drove Amalfi coast, with quick stops in Amalfi and Positano, some lemoncello and ceramics shopping, then to Mt. Vesuvius then to Pompeii. We never could have crammed that into one day ourselves, so the private car was FANTASTIC. But it was either 500 or 550 euros...for the whole day. Expensive, but for us, worth the splurge. On the other hand, I think Rome is very doable WITHOUT that sort of service. You could splurge a little and get a guide for the Vatican or something like that...but so much of that city is walkable. Or find out in advance where the cab stands are and use them. Just don't miss your train back. The "Ron in Rome" guide to Civitavecchia and the trains is GREAT!

Archived