Putting someone else's kid in my cabin on paper.

If you "generally" follow the rules, then why not just be honest and say, that you are sorry, but it is against the rules and you don't want to jeopardize your cruise.

I can do without your condescending tone. I posted here so I could have help thinking this through and I appreciate your comments but all the "quotation" marks and you typing down to me are not necessary.

I can do without your condescending tone. I posted here so I could have help thinking this through and I appreciate your comments but all the "quotation" marks and you typing down to me are not necessary.

Not condescending or typing down to you, just being honest. You were the one that said you "generally" follow the rules, I just felt and still feel that it is an important word with regard to the discussion thus the quotation marks. Let's be more honest, you know it is wrong and you came on here to have others validate that you can do it and not get caught.

Hope you have a great cruise, no matter what your decision is.

TBH, tone is hard to pick up on the boards and as such, I really don't believe this poster was trying to be condescending. Unfortunatley, since we don't see the poster or hear voice, it is easy to think a poster is being mean, pushy, or in this case, condescending. Anyway, ultimately, the decision is yours and yours alone. Only you know what you will be comfortable doing. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Hi - I was thinking also that your cabin may not even be a cabin that accomodates 4 people. I know ours only hold 3.

I went ahead and called NCL. I spoke with a lady at NCL and brought up the situation. I told her the absolute truth about all of it. She said that the parents can register them in the youth program and that I don't have to. She said that I do not have to have any responsibility for the children if the parents are there. She said when we check in at the beginning of the cruise, the kid doesn't even have to be with me...when the parents arrive they can check the child in under the other reservation #.

I'll post more...gotta phone call.

I went ahead and called NCL. I spoke with a lady at NCL and brought up the situation. I told her the absolute truth about all of it. She said that the parents can register them in the youth program and that I don't have to. She said that I do not have to have any responsibility for the children if the parents are there. She said when we check in at the beginning of the cruise, the kid doesn't even have to be with me...when the parents arrive they can check the child in under the other reservation #.

If you were planning to find every possible reason/excuse to do this, why did you bother to make a post about it? I'm honestly curious.

When you told the NCL the entire story and what you wanted to do, what was her response? Did she say it wouldn't be a problem?

Glad you got the information you wanted, but I'm truly surprised that NCL would say that it is okay for 5 to stay in a cabin that is meant for 4. But now everyone knows that it can be done.

I would never trust what the NCL call center says. What happens on the ship is sometimes waaaayyy different than what is quoted. Shouldn't be this way, but it is.

The parents will be with us when we check in. It doesn't seem like such a good idea though. :(

Don't think that would matter as documentation is required and you would not be listed as parent/guardian. Procrastinate until the sale ends...hide out...if it's too hard to say no to this dishonest request your friend has made. They may need to choose another type of cabin to accommodate their entire family, kids free or not.

Their "extra" child will be on YOUR reservation, not on theirs, so there is simply no possible way that they could check this child in. The child will NOT be on their reservation, the child will NOT be on their edocs. They will have nothing to show that the child is even allowed to be on the ship...YOU will have all of that. I wouldn't have much faith in what the call center person told you if they got this very basic information wrong.

Believe me, when someone tells you "no" on the ship, "but the lady I talked to at the call center said..." is NOT going to change their minds. Bottom line is that YOU are always going to be responsible for everyone on YOUR reservation. Use common sense...lets say (just for examples sake) that you are denied boarding at the port of embarkation. What happens to the child then? Do you think they'll just allow the child registered to your reservation number simply board with people on a different reservation (and no room in the cabin) simply because they are the parents?

Consider another possibility. What do you think happens if your friend and her family miss returning to the ship at one of your port stops? Do you think that NCL is going to allow you and your family to leave that port aboard their ship knowing that you have another child...on YOUR reservation...that is missing? Are you willing to be put off of the ship as a result?

The bottom line in all of this is the risk. YOU have to decide what MIGHT happen and then decide if you are going to be willing to accept whatever consequences might arise. Its only your vacation...ask yourself, Whats the worst that could happen?

I honestly don't think that this would be a problem....especially since your cabins are relatively close to each other (i.e. most likely same muster station).

I would probably agree to do it.

I would imagine that there are plenty of passengers on every cruise sleeping in cabins other than the ones that were booked for many reasons (both kids and adults).

I can't imagine the cabin steward caring one way or another how many beds are or are not slept in, let alone telling on passengers, or NCL forcing the child to sleep in your room. I just don't see it happening...

This just doesn't seem to be a big deal to me-but clearly I am very much in the minority on this one!

Good luck. I would say that if you are not comfortable with it, then don't do it. I am sure your friend will understand if you tell her it is not allowed.

Good luck!

Coffeecat

Their "extra" child will be on YOUR reservation, not on theirs, so there is simply no possible way that they could check this child in. The child will NOT be on their reservation, the child will NOT be on their edocs. They will have nothing to show that the child is even allowed to be on the ship...YOU will have all of that. I wouldn't have much faith in what the call center person told you if they got this very basic information wrong.

Believe me, when someone tells you "no" on the ship, "but the lady I talked to at the call center said..." is NOT going to change their minds. Bottom line is that YOU are always going to be responsible for everyone on YOUR reservation. Use common sense...lets say (just for examples sake) that you are denied boarding at the port of embarkation. What happens to the child then? Do you think they'll just allow the child registered to your reservation number simply board with people on a different reservation (and no room in the cabin) simply because they are the parents?

Consider another possibility. What do you think happens if your friend and her family miss returning to the ship at one of your port stops? Do you think that NCL is going to allow you and your family to leave that port aboard their ship knowing that you have another child...on YOUR reservation...that is missing? Are you willing to be put off of the ship as a result?

The bottom line in all of this is the risk. YOU have to decide what MIGHT happen and then decide if you are going to be willing to accept whatever consequences might arise. Its only your vacation...ask yourself, Whats the worst that could happen?

Thanks for your input.

When you told the NCL the entire story and what you wanted to do, what was her response? Did she say it wouldn't be a problem?

I've actually spoken to two people. I asked four questions.

Am I legally responsible for the child on the ship? Response: You would be contacted if their is a disruption but the parents remain legally responsible for their child if they are on the ship. You can always revoke spending privileges on your on board account. (I didn't say the child is 3)

Who could sign him in and out of the youth program? Response: The parents can register him/her for the youth program and pick up the child.

What would happen if the child slept in their parents' room when we got on the ship? Response...and I quote "We are not going to send the bed police around to check on sleeping arrangements. If the child feels more comfortable sleeping with their parents, then we are not going to force sleeping arrangements."

What if their is an emergency and I need to take my family off of the ship? Response: "That would be something that you would have to ask when/if that happens." <---They wouldn't give me a direct answer on that one.

She said they do this all the time.

She also said that his parents' credit card can be attached to his account to pay for his expenses...even gratuities...

She said that it happens all the time that parents book one room and the parents sleep in one room but the kids all sleep in another room (sometimes over max occupancy) and it's fine. She said technically there's always supposed to be an adult in each room but they don't check for any of that on board either.

She said that I shouldn't worry about any of that.

By the way...if anyone doubts what I'm saying NCL told me, call NCL yourself. :p

We don't doubt at all what they are telling you and what you are reporting here. NCL call center has a horrible reputation for giving the wrong and incomplete answers. Once on the ship, it can be completely different. There are a ton of examples on this board. Sometimes it is like two completely separate companies... ship policy versus mainland policy. It shouldn't be like this, but it is.

OP,

You mentioned that your friend's cabin is two doors down from you and that should avoid some of the problems that people have mentioned with stewards and muster stations.

However, even though they are two doors down, they may have a different steward and muster station than you do. It depends on the dividing line and you have no way of knowing before hand.

My sister was once directly across the hall from me and we had different stewards and muster stations.

Also, during the muster drill, they will check that all people listed in your cabin are present. You would probably need to have the three year old with you, especially if your muster station is different from the mother's.

Isn't it interesting when a solo cruiser gives strongly worded and scary "advise" to families?

OP, I do not think NCL will do bed checks. Unless he wets the bed or something, I do not think the cabin steward will know (or care) if a three year old shares a bed with his parents or a sibling, especially if he gets an extra tip. The biggest problem I'd foresee would be if your family had to cancel due to an emergency...then the other family would have a big problem as they could not all check in...somebody would likely have to stay home. If the other family cancelled pre cruise, your family could still check in. If the other family missed the ship in port or had to interrupt the cruise, it seems highly unlikely that your family would be removed from the ship, though you might be asked questions to ascertain the kid's safety. If your family missed the ship in port or had to interrupt the voyage, one of the kid's parents would likely be allowed to sleep and supervise him in his assigned cabin (your now vacant cabin) or something. I suppose it would be a mess if somebody in one of the cabins were quarantined...but that would be awful no matter how you book. All that stuff is relatively unlikely to happen, of course. Honestly, I probably would not do it, but I am sure many families have done similar things over the years. yet cruise critic is not filled with dire post cruise warnings from such families.

OP, in your original post you specifically stated, "...I don't want anyone else in our cabin for a week except the three in my family..." You've gone through a lot of trouble just to find out "logistically how it would work."

What's your point? I wanted answers. I asked questions.

OP, in your original post you specifically stated, "...I don't want anyone else in our cabin for a week except the three in my family..." You've gone through a lot of trouble just to find out "logistically how it would work."

Seriously. I wish I had this much time to spend pondering (supposedly) hypothetical situations.

Seriously. I wish I had this much time to spend pondering (supposedly) hypothetical situations.

The situation was not hypothetical when I posted it...I was considering the request and in considering it...I made phone calls. However, after reading posts from other members about the things that could go wrong and how inaccurate the call centers are, I decided not to take a chance.

What exactly is difficult to understand about that and why on earth are you so angry about it? You apparently have plenty of type to hypothesize because that is what you were doing when you typed your passive aggressive post.

Archived