Whale watching in Icy Strait?

grandma21

Am cruising on Norwegian this summer with a stop in Icy Strait with my parents and kids (10 and 12). While trying to figure out what to do there, saw that whale watching trips are offered. How does the whale watching compare to Juneau? If it's good, perhaps I could do whale watching in Icy Strait and focus more on glaciers/flightseeing in Juneau.

I haven't been yet, but whale watching is highly recommended in Hoonah. My boyfriend and I are doing whale watching there AND in Juneau! But, many people do similar to what you are thinking - whale watch in Hoonah so they can do something else in Juneau....

Icy Strait Point is a destination created by the RCL cruise line and the local Native American group. Some call it a “fake port.” However we felt it was a very “real Alaska” town. You could see the challenges of living in such a rural setting. This is a tender port. It is a short ride—maybe 5-6 minutes.

There is a Cannery Museum and gift shop on the tender pier.

you can walk to the small fishing village of Hoonah along a scenic beach trail or take a bus from the pier. ($8 one-way)

There is a nature trail the goes through the forest starting in Hoonah. Other pax gave it high marks, but we did not take it. I think you will enjoy this port more if you have plans. While there are some vendors on the pier, there are not many. Hoonah is a very small town of around 800 people.

we did a whale watch from 10am to 1pm with Icy Strait Whale Adventures. We wanted to have a more personal experience so we independently booked a small boat (6 passengers). That is very tight. One of the seats that hold 2 people is more like 1 1/2. But, we had 6 and it was OK. We moved around the boat--inside and outside.

Captain Coleen guarantees that you will see whales or you get ½ your money back. We loved our whale watch. We saw lots of whales (mostly heads and tails as they breeched the surface), but, I am not an adept enough photographer to get National Geographic type pictures. You will need to take my word for it. J

We too used a small, independent vendor for whale watching in Hoonah, and LOVED it! We were very fortunate on our trip to see numerous instances of bubblenet feeding and breaching, over and over again! It was spectacular! We went with Capt. Dan of Misty Bay Lodge - six passenger boat w/very comfortable interior, bathroom, aft deck and crows nest to climb up top if the weather was good (it wasn't on our trip, but I did climb up there to take a peak, and it would have been great had the weather been better). Would highly recommend Misty Bay Lodge.

We adored ISP and Hoonah, and I would love to go back there some time to spend a few days. Gorgeous setting, friendly people, so much wildlife - there were whales breaching right near the ship as we tendered to shore. Like I said, we were fortunate, and I'm sure that isn't always the case. I do agree that there is a whole lot more to do in Juneau excursion wise, so if you're going to do only one whale watch, I'd do it in ISP and save Juneau for something else that may be of interest to you.

Enjoy your trip!

We too went whale watching with Misty Bay Lodge. Saw a lot of whales. I've not been whale watching in Juneau but our morning with Captain Dan was fantastic. We then walked around the small town. There was a big eagles nest in town. There is also a whale that loves to bubble feed right in the harbor. He was fun to watch. And then we had a nice walk back to where the tenders docked. But then we had a nice sunny day. Quite foggy in the beginning but then it turned to a beautiful day.

ISP is a place you should have made your plans in advance. Our whale watch Captain said there were around 7 private whale excursions and 2 boats from the cruise line. That is not very many for all the pax.

As our morning tour was ending [at 1pm] a man asked our Captain if she had any spots for the PM trip. She told him no. You may get lucky and find a spot on a boat--but, likely you will be out of luck.

Our travel mates get sea sick on small boats. So, they did not go whale watching. They tendered to shore and visited the pier area. Then they walked to where the zipline ends and watched everyone "land." They took the bus [but you can walk] into Hoonah and walked around. They enjoyed their relaxing day.

We too used a small, independent vendor for whale watching in Hoonah, and LOVED it! We were very fortunate on our trip to see numerous instances of bubblenet feeding and breaching, over and over again! It was spectacular! We went with Capt. Dan of Misty Bay Lodge - six passenger boat w/very comfortable interior, bathroom, aft deck and crows nest to climb up top if the weather was good (it wasn't on our trip, but I did climb up there to take a peak, and it would have been great had the weather been better). Would highly recommend Misty Bay Lodge.

We adored ISP and Hoonah, and I would love to go back there some time to spend a few days. Gorgeous setting, friendly people, so much wildlife - there were whales breaching right near the ship as we tendered to shore. Like I said, we were fortunate, and I'm sure that isn't always the case. I do agree that there is a whole lot more to do in Juneau excursion wise, so if you're going to do only one whale watch, I'd do it in ISP and save Juneau for something else that may be of interest to you.

Enjoy your trip!

X3.... We loved our day with Capt Dan of Misty Bay. Great boat for whale watching!

[color=#0033c

[/font][color=#

[/font]Captain Coleen guarantees that you will see whales or you get ½ your money back. We loved our whale watch. We saw lots of whales (mostly heads and tails as they breeched the surface), but, I am not an adept enough photographer to get National Geographic type pictures. You will need to take my word for it. J[/color]

[/font][/color]

This "guarantee" means nothing. All the whale watches have 100% sightings. Point Adolphus is a consistent, multiple years humpback feeding area.

We have been on a number of whale watching trips in Alaska and the trip in Hoonah was the best. We also used a private vendor, Glacier Wind Charters. They were excellent!

Good to hear. We have booked with them when we are there this summer.

This "guarantee" means nothing. All the whale watches have 100% sightings. Point Adolphus is a consistent, multiple years humpback feeding area.

I did not mean that this company is better than the others. To me if whale excursions are giving guarantees it means everyone sees whales--or they would not take the chance with losng money.

I have been on a whale watch in ME and did not see whales. no one gave me any money back or had any guarantees.

Even Teckk (who I would never recommend based on personal experience and multiple reviews/posts on CC) has a whale watching "guarantee" on their website. It is a marketing ploy, plain and simple. Used by multiple vendors in Hoonah and Juneau.

We have been on a number of whale watching trips in Alaska and the trip in Hoonah was the best. We also used a private vendor, Glacier Wind Charters. They were excellent!

We're booked with them this summer. I'm so glad to hear they are excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a nature trail the goes through the forest starting in Hoonah. Other pax gave it high marks, but we did not take it.

We had some time before our whale watch and we went exploring the trail. Its a short hike through some nice trees and opens up to a shore. Some places were closed off to the public. From what I hear, you can take an excursion and they show you more. I even think there is a bear or two living on the island. It was nice and peaceful...until the zip lines got going. Nothing ruins the moment of nature with a loud ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZing as the zip line chairs scream by.

Here is a pic from the trail.

8090697271_dbdfccef96.jpg

isp_2012_0330 by ikirumata, on Flickr

a couple of seals playing off shore.

8638891885_653253a865.jpg

Icy Strait Point Seals by ikirumata, on Flickr

and an eagle

8624503757_d62ac4d0f7.jpg

eagle4 by ikirumata, on Flickr

Icy Strait was very scenic and laid back. I did not miss the jewelry stores one bit! :)

We had some time before our whale watch and we went exploring the trail. Its a short hike through some nice trees and opens up to a shore. Some places were closed off to the public. From what I hear, you can take an excursion and they show you more. I even think there is a bear or two living on the island. It was nice and peaceful...until the zip lines got going. Nothing ruins the moment of nature with a loud ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZing as the zip line chairs scream by.

Here is a pic from the trail.

8090697271_dbdfccef96.jpg

isp_2012_0330 by ikirumata, on Flickr

a couple of seals playing off shore.

8638891885_653253a865.jpg

Icy Strait Point Seals by ikirumata, on Flickr

and an eagle

8624503757_d62ac4d0f7.jpg

eagle4 by ikirumata, on Flickr

Icy Strait was very scenic and laid back. I did not miss the jewelry stores one bit! :)

I agree--I really liked Icy Strait. Your pics of the trail are very nice. Thanks for posting them. Pax planning for this year will get a good idea about what they will see.

I think to enjoy Icy Strait you need to plan ahead. It may be that all you want to do is walk around. Fine, but, that needs to be your plan. Or--you get off the tender and there is not much to do and you say" well, there is nothing here" and you get back on the ship.

Archived