Drink package

marky63

Thank you.

Who you calling a responsible adult?:D Ok, I've noticed you seem pretty well informed, but where on earth did you get the info on the 28 varieties of Scotch, etc? What about wine bottle packages?

LOL, if your Cruise Critic name indicates that you were born in '61, then you and I are.....er.....equally "responsible". ;)

I know about the Scotch because I asked for a copy of the bar menu when I was on the ship, and I counted them. :D

All that I really remember about the Wine Bottle Packages is that the Desk where they are sold was at the Port side entrance of the Terrace Restaurant,(coincidentally, just outside the entrance to La Reserve) and that the poor soul who was assigned to it always looked horribly lonely.

094052.jpg

It's my high school grad year. That makes me about 17 years more responsible than you. Poor me.

I thought I read somewhere that among the scotches they include as part of the Prestige package are some very pricey brands that would normally cost over $25 per drink with tip. If true, that's a very nice package for those who like fancy scotches. At one time I could easily polish off 4 drinks in a night not including wine with dinner. Now only my wife can do that. Poor me.

Whiskey you say? If only cruise lines would recognize that Midleton should be free flowing. How are off the menu mixed drinks charged? I recall when the Thayer was still run by dear old Uncle Sam any mixing of alcohol was priced as if each part were a whole shot.

Thank you for the info. Do they add 18% tip if you are using the fixed rateor are you just referring to those drinks ordered if one doesn't select the fixed daily rate?

The packages include the 18 percent tip. We find it an excellent deal.

I might be inclined to pop for the Prestige package if we were going on a 10 day cruise, but we are going on a 21 day cruise and my concern is that prolonged heavy drinking (2 drinks and 2 glasses of wine per day) might be overdoing it. I already experienced a case of "holiday heart" (atrial flutter) and I'm wary of a repeat.

I have this concern too. Ours will be a 14-day cruise, starting with a week in Barcelona. And judging from my just-finished trip to Lisbon, where I stayed away from the hard liquor but often started with a half bottle of wine with lunch and then went on from there, I will probably be swilling wine in Spain as well.

So how much do I really have to drink to justify the Prestige package? I do try to keep it down to two drinks a day, but as you can see, frequently blow that goal. Will they let me go for the House Select if my husband goes for the Prestige package (as he most certainly will?)

We spent 34 days on the Marina and decided to take up the drink package at the last minute. It was more a matter of not wanting to get involved in chit hassles, but the reality was that with the drink package,the bartenders were much more generous with their pouring skills. The deal ended after the first portion of the trip, and they simply asked me to resign for the second portion if I wanted the package for the second segment. While they "beat " me financially with the package, as I didn't drink until 4/5 pm, it was nice to be able to drink when we wanted to what we wanted to. They make it easy the other way with 2/1 and $5 drink of the days, but the package is a pretty good way to go if you don't want to think about it and have a couple of drinks before dinner , etc. We bought quite a few bottles of wine at their sales and they had a great package if you bought three bottles of premium wines until they stopped selling the good stuff at 30% off. If you drink only rarely, its great not to pay as part of the cruise, and if you like to enjoy a few, the package is the way to go.

I have this concern too. Ours will be a 14-day cruise, starting with a week in Barcelona. And judging from my just-finished trip to Lisbon, where I stayed away from the hard liquor but often started with a half bottle of wine with lunch and then went on from there, I will probably be swilling wine in Spain as well.

So how much do I really have to drink to justify the Prestige package? I do try to keep it down to two drinks a day, but as you can see, frequently blow that goal. Will they let me go for the House Select if my husband goes for the Prestige package (as he most certainly will?)

Regardless of "justifying the price", Wendy, I cannot help but think that the House Select Package would not be for you, because it would cover only beer or wine during your lunch and dinner.

What about cocktails at the pool in the afternoon....would the House Select cover that?

Sorry no, it would not on two counts. Wine & beer only so no cocktails and only at a dining venue or room service, not poolside. Hmmm... perhaps with a little something at Waves

The FAQ reads:

This package includes beer and a selection of wines by the glass during lunch and dinner in any dining venue or through room service*

*Room service during regular operating bar hours. All prices are per guest, per day, gratuity included.

The Premium package includes:

"Wine, Beer & Spirits

This UNLIMITED package includes beer, a selection of wines by the glass, most top shelf spirits and cocktails, all of which may be ordered at any onboard venue as well as through room service.*"

It also includes after-dinner coffees. I can recommend the "Oceania"!

Regardless of "justifying the price", Wendy, I cannot help but think that the House Select Package would not be for you, because it would cover only beer or wine during your lunch and dinner.

Thanks Jim (or Stan) for the input. Yes, I know this, and if I did it, it would be because I'm trying to regulate my intake! :o

Yes, I know this, and if I did it, it would be because I'm trying to regulate my intake! :o

There is nothing to stop you from ordering drinks outside of the limited package ...only your willpower;)

Also works for the Premium package ...they do not force drinks on you :D

Not like the force feeding in the dining venues

Lyn

There is nothing to stop you from ordering drinks outside of the limited package ...only your willpower;)

Also works for the Premium package ...they do not force drinks on you :D

Not like the force feeding in the dining venues

Lyn

Remember, everything in moderation.....

Especially moderation. :D

Yes, unfortunately the latter is not one of my problems (i.e. being too moderate!)

All that I really remember about the Wine Bottle Packages is that the Desk where they are sold was at the Port side entrance of the Terrace Restaurant,(coincidentally, just outside the entrance to La Reserve) and that the poor soul who was assigned to it always looked horribly lonely.

Is there any other O cruiser out there who has details regarding the Wine Bottle Package?

I haven't been able to find any info about it on the O website; got my cruise docs yesterday and there is no info about it there either, only the two 'by the glass' beverage packages were mentioned.

The Wine Bottle Package seems to be something of a mystery; if anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is there any other O cruiser out there who has details regarding the Wine Bottle Package?

I haven't been able to find any info about it on the O website; got my cruise docs yesterday and there is no info about it there either, only the two 'by the glass' beverage packages were mentioned.

The Wine Bottle Package seems to be something of a mystery; if anyone can shed some light it would be appreciated. Thanks!

The reason you cannot find info from O is that other than these new 'beverage packages' all the wine 'packages' are set by the head Sommelier on board. They decide what events will be offered on each cruise; they have guidelines from Miami. Not unlike how many 'Martini' or Cognac tastings are offered it varies by the sailing and determined I suspect by itinerary & demand.

The packages I have enjoyed come in a couple of methods. Usually have had a form delivered with Currents newsletter listing a fair selection of wines and prices. You can select the ones you want. There are three price columns buy one, two or three (in total) and pay the price in that column. It is based on the total # of bottles not the quantity of any particular one. You could order three of one type of course.

The other offerings are wine 'sales'. A display table is prepared with a variety of bottles. Perhaps something they only have a few of or something they are long on or perhaps no longer on the list. The bottles are marked with 'regular' price and the sale price. You can buy one or more at that price. These tables have been set up near an entrance to Terrace Cafe and also in La Reserve. A notice of the sale will be in Currents.

In all cases they will properly store the bottles for you. Just tell your sommelier you have a bottle of X in storage and your stateroom number and they will retrieve it form storage. You can also let them know ahead of time and they will open in advance to let it breathe.

Works very nicely.

On the ship there was a list in the cabin where if you purchased 2+ bottles you could receive a discount depending on the number of bottles

They will store them for you until you want them

I think the wines vary by sailing

We also had a display that had wines for purchase ..I think they were some lonely bottles that were also discounted ..just ones that maybe only had a couple bottles left & maybe not ordering again I am not sure how that worked

There does not seem to be a standard list as I am sure the wines will vary by brand & year

Just my thoughts

There is no information available because there is no Wine Bottle Package as such.

What you will find is that a Desk will be set up in the lobby outside of the Terrace Restaurant on the ship, where passengers may buy groupings of wine bottles at varying discounts. The Variety and price of these "specials" appear to be determined by the Cellar master of each ship for that voyage.

They don't sell really fine wines in this manner, but I recall the quality as being solid, and that as the number of wines purchased increased, so did the discount.

A big advantage of buying such a package on an Oceania Cruise, is that ones' bottles are marked at the time of purchase, and may be retrieved effortlessly from any venue on the ship.

Hope that this helped, enjoy your cruise~ :D

This is not the first time that YoHoHo and LHT28 have posted replies while I was typing mine, but it IS the first time when we ALL agreed :D

I think YOHOHO was first to hit the submit button I was still typing & trying not to confuse anyone

Hey maybe we will agree more often LOL

Lyn

Wow, this is great information, all of you. Thank you for clearing this up.

The bulk-purchase wine bottle discount sounds perfect for us. We prefer wine/Champagne/port to liquor, and could end up consuming quite a few bottles during a 2+ week voyage. If we carry on some sparkling wine and port, perhaps we can obtain all the dining wines from O in this manner. We'll also consider the by-the-glass wine package, although the restriction to having it with meals only seems a bit ungracious. Of course, that must have been a necessary restriction for O to maintain their preferred cost structure.

One determining factor might be the 18% service fee. If it's included in the by the glass package but not with the wine by the bottle, it places a near-20% premium on the bottles, for the benefit of perhaps a broader selection.

It will be fun perusing the options the first few days out! Thanks again, everyone. :)

Archived