Are the new cruise ships too BIG?

Scottohiocpa

Now that cruise ships are approaching the 250,000 ton mark, are they getting too BIG?

What happens when one of these breaks down in the middle of the ocean? It would take even longer to get people ashore than it did for the Triumph. If it broke down like the Dream did, how many more airplanes would they have to scrounge up to get everyone home? I think anything that is too big to fit throught the Panama canal is too big.

Another problem these megaships are causing - what happens when 4 of them all stop in a tiny port at the same time? There could potentially be more tourists than locals. I like the ports on a cruise because they have unspoiled beaches and undeveloped land. It will be sad to cruise in the future when every piece of beachfront in Cozumel has a bar or tshirt shop on it.

As cruise ships grew from 30,000 to 70,000 and then on to 100,000 tons I was impressed with the improvements, but anything bigger than that just seems to be overkill. Just my 2 cents on the subject. I am interested in what others think.

I like them. Such a variety of activities for everyone. My family was on the Magic in December. Ages 26-72. Everyone found things to match their tastes. It really didn't seemed crowded to me either. Just my thoughts.

Way too many people

That's one of the biggest misconceptions associated with these ships. Yes, the ships are huge, but they are designed to handle the crowds.

When we sailed on the Allure of the Seas, I mentally prepared myself to spend a few hours checking in along with 5,800 other passengers, so you can imagine my surprise when we walked right into the terminal, followed the signs, went straight to a check in counter, and we were aboard the ship and walking into the Royal Promenade literally 10 minutes after we arrived at the port! Royal Caribbean did a WONDERFUL job, not only designing this ship, but also the cruise terminal. Everything flowed so smoothly, that it felt as if we had priority/VIP embarkation. During the rest of the cruise, we NEVER stood in line, not once. Passenger flow is excellent.

The ship was absolutely stunning and beautifully decorated. Plain and simple it's an amazing ship, not only because of its size, but also because of its design. We were surprised at how quickly we learned our way around the ship. Everything is located in places that “make sense”. Touch screen signage is abundant throughout the ship. Need to know what do to or how to get there? Just tap on the screen.

The ship does NOT feel crowded at all. In fact, some areas felt quiet and peaceful. Since entertainment is divided into so many areas, guest are scattered throughout the ship instead of being packed into one area.

The Allure in particular is divided into 5 different neighborhoods. Think of it as 5 different ships. Our stateroom was in the Boardwalk neighborhood and we found ourselves spending a lot of time there. Of course, we had access to the entire ship, but my point is that people are spread out, not squeezed in one area.

I have liked each bigger class of ships with the biggest for us the Dream class.

Want to try the Oasis but waiting for more reasonable prices. Doesnt seem to be happening so suspect we will just bit the bullet.

I think it all depends on what you're looking for in a cruise. Larger ships have the potential to reach more destinations in given number of cruise days than smaller ships. Thus more potential for visiting more places. All ships seem to have some bottlenecks when it comes to activities (of which eating is a primary one and the need for a lounger by the pool, another-I'm unable to fathom that one). But these shouldn't bother seasoned cruisers, or really anyone for that matter, you're on vacation and don't need to be anywhere at any specific time. DW likes the spas on the larger ships versus smaller ships and the variety of things to do. Me? Give me a lounger on a quiet deck and access to a good barkeep and I'll take a 10 day cruise to nowhere; ship size is immaterial.

That's one of the biggest misconceptions associated with these ships. Yes, the ships are huge, but they are designed to handle the crowds.

When we sailed on the Allure of the Seas, I mentally prepared myself to spend a few hours checking in along with 5,800 other passengers, so you can imagine my surprise when we walked right into the terminal, followed the signs, went straight to a check in counter, and we were aboard the ship and walking into the Royal Promenade literally 10 minutes after we arrived at the port! Royal Caribbean did a WONDERFUL job, not only designing this ship, but also the cruise terminal. Everything flowed so smoothly, that it felt as if we had priority/VIP embarkation. During the rest of the cruise, we NEVER stood in line, not once. Passenger flow is excellent.

The ship was absolutely stunning and beautifully decorated. Plain and simple it's an amazing ship, not only because of its size, but also because of its design. We were surprised at how quickly we learned our way around the ship. Everything is located in places that “make sense”. Touch screen signage is abundant throughout the ship. Need to know what do to or how to get there? Just tap on the screen.

The ship does NOT feel crowded at all. In fact, some areas felt quiet and peaceful. Since entertainment is divided into so many areas, guest are scattered throughout the ship instead of being packed into one area.

The Allure in particular is divided into 5 different neighborhoods. Think of it as 5 different ships. Our stateroom was in the Boardwalk neighborhood and we found ourselves spending a lot of time there. Of course, we had access to the entire ship, but my point is that people are spread out, not squeezed in one area.

OK, now you're about to make me cross over into the dark side! LOL Your description of the AOS just makes me want to book right now.

Another problem these megaships are causing - what happens when 4 of them all stop in a tiny port at the same time?

When we sailed to Cozumel on the Allure, there were 2 Conquest class Carnival ships, an NCL ship, and another Royal Caribbean ship. We didn't feel crowded. While the number of passengers is indeed high, these islands can handle it. Otherwise, the cruise ships wouldn't continue stopping there.

I like the ports on a cruise because they have unspoiled beaches and undeveloped land.

It's been a long time since I've seen an unspoiled beach in one of the typical Western/Eastern Caribbean ports of call, specially in places like Cozumel, Nassau, or St. Thomas with their mega Welcome Centers, shopping malls, chain bars and restaurants, etc. These ports have become TOO commercialized and overly developed in order to handle the crowds (and this started happening long before the megaships showed up). The only place in the Caribbean where you can still find genuinely unspoiled beaches are on the islands that are NOT regularly visited by cruise ships.

As cruise ships grew from 30,000 to 70,000 and then on to 100,000 tons I was impressed with the improvements, but anything bigger than that just seems to be overkill.

Believe me. It's not overkill. The additional options are wonderful. That the options are there doesn't mean that you have to participate in every single activity (which is usually another argument from people who are against these mega ships). "Why would I want to sail on that ship if I don't like to do one particular thing" is an argument that blinds some people against sailing on a ship that they may truly enjoy.

It's understandable to feel that the ships are getting "too big". My first cruise was on a 16,000 ton ship. I was amazed when the first 70,000 ton ship was built. Then I was amazed when the first 100,000 ton ship was built. And needless to say, I was amazed when the first 225,000 ton ship was built. Yet, with every size increment, I've seen an improvement in the product. Allure of the Seas has been, to this day, one of the most amazing cruises we've ever taken.

I'm actually a bit concerned because our next cruise will be on a "small" 82,000 ton ship! :o

I love small ships, my oldest son and his wife love the big ones. Something for everyone. They'd be bored to death on a 2K Pax HAL ship and I don't think I'd like a 6K pax RCL ship- but I could be wrong. From what I hear they keep people moving so that you feel like you've got more space. The OP brings up a good point, though- what happens in an emergency? How do you get 9,000 people off of a burning ship?

Until I see how well they evacuate the crowds, you aren't getting me onto one of those ships. And I really really hope there is not an incident that requires that- so, I'm not getting on one.

Allure and Epic and Dream all look like they'd be fun- but for me, it is a panic attack waiting to happen.

The truth is, that an "incident" on any of these boats is not going to end well. If you don't get to the lifeboats early (if the ship is at the angle in which you can actually use them), you might be SOL.

Although the "tubes" used on the massive ships are pretty hilarious.

I have liked each bigger class of ships with the biggest for us the Dream class.

Want to try the Oasis but waiting for more reasonable prices. Doesnt seem to be happening so suspect we will just bit the bullet.

I am dying to go on this one!

The truth is, that an "incident" on any of these boats is not going to end well. If you don't get to the lifeboats early (if the ship is at the angle in which you can actually use them), you might be SOL.

Although the "tubes" used on the massive ships are pretty hilarious.

Are you sure. Wasn't the Costa Concordia quite big?

Allure and Oasis do sound like awesome cruise ships.

Just dont know if I can justify the cost plus the airfare. and to to top it off I've been addicted to longer cruises now after my 15 days Hawaii Cruise.

So imagine a B2B on Oasis or Allure plus airfare plus shipboard spending. And the itineraries on those ships are not that apepaling to me.:eek:

But I would definitely like to sail on these ships in the future just for the experience on a whole different level compared to what i am used to.

Allure and Oasis do sound like awesome cruise ships.

Just dont know if I can justify the cost plus the airfare. and to to top it off I've been addicted to longer cruises now after my 15 days Hawaii Cruise.

The RCCL boards are talking about the transatlantics that the Oasis is doing soon to go to/from dry dock. That could get the longer cruise fix in.

(Though there is also suggestion that this ship is not designed to entertain in cold weather...)

My first cruise was on a 16,000 ton ship. I was amazed when the first 70,000 ton ship was built. Then I was amazed when the first 100,000 ton ship was built. And needless to say, I was amazed when the first 225,000 ton ship was built. Yet, with every size increment, I've seen an improvement in the product. Allure of the Seas has been, to this day, one of the most amazing cruises we've ever taken.

I'm actually a bit concerned because our next cruise will be on a "small" 82,000 ton ship! :o

I agree with Tapi. My first pleasure cruise was on the NCL Southward in 1986. I think it was 16,000 tons. I've also been on the SeaDream I (formerly one of the Seabourn Sea Goddesses) which was 4,000 tons. I've been on the Magic twice (130,000 tons) and it is as of now my favorite ship. The design makes these ships feel, in my opinion, even less crowded than the smaller ships. And I personally like the longer distance from one end of the ship to the other. It forces me to get some exercise other than one-armed martini and beer "curls". :)

Two of my recent cruises were on Carnival's Holiday and RCCL's Grandeur of the Seas. I loved these trips, too, but they were for purposes of nostalgia and a feel for how the ships used to be. But for purposes of convenience, added activities and more modern amenities, the bigger the better. :cool:

My biggest problem with the megaliners is that they are limited in the port selection, and in some of the smaller ports, I'd just as soon not see the dock areas retrofitted to handle the jumbo ships.

I haven't actually been on any of the super-huge new ships, so I can't address the "feel" of them, but personally, I do like to be aware that I'm actually on a ship on the water.

Now that cruise ships are approaching the 250,000 ton mark, are they getting too BIG?

What happens when one of these breaks down in the middle of the ocean? It would take even longer to get people ashore than it did for the Triumph. If it broke down like the Dream did, how many more airplanes would they have to scrounge up to get everyone home? I think anything that is too big to fit throught the Panama canal is too big.

Another problem these megaships are causing - what happens when 4 of them all stop in a tiny port at the same time? There could potentially be more tourists than locals. I like the ports on a cruise because they have unspoiled beaches and undeveloped land. It will be sad to cruise in the future when every piece of beachfront in Cozumel has a bar or tshirt shop on it.

As cruise ships grew from 30,000 to 70,000 and then on to 100,000 tons I was impressed with the improvements, but anything bigger than that just seems to be overkill. Just my 2 cents on the subject. I am interested in what others think.

:)

What happens when one of these breaks down in the middle of the ocean?

That won't happen. None of them are Carnival ships. ;)

You cant knock them if you have not sailed one. They have so much to offer and the shows are the best.

Obviously the main question here is very subjective and more of a personal preference kind of thing. However, I would like to point out that part of the answer to the question should factor in ship design. For example, almost everything I hear about the huge Oasis and Allure ships is that they are designed well to handle the amount of people they hold. Likewise, if you look at Princess ships, it seems like the first three Grand class ships, and then the Sapphire and Diamond really were designed well to handle the amount of passengers they hold. Then Princess started making all their subsequent Grand class ships with an extra passenger deck, but kept all the other public spaces the same. Many people complain about this extra deck and the additional crowding.

Compare those ships to the Carnival Splendor, which in 2008 was the biggest Carnival ship. The Splendor in my opinion was very poorly designed to accommodate the number of passengers it has. From the limited number and size of pools to the public spaces onboard...it felt to us like one of the worst passenger/space ratio's we've ever experienced. The cruise was so cheap though, that we got over it and of course still had a nice time. I haven't been on the more recent Carnival ships, but it seems like they also suffer from some of the issues I saw on the Splendor with the amount of passengers they hold relative to the size. I could be wrong though, as I just haven't been on them.

Until I see how well they evacuate the crowds, you aren't getting me onto one of those ships. And I really really hope there is not an incident that requires that- so, I'm not getting on one.

Allure and Epic and Dream all look like they'd be fun- but for me, it is a panic attack waiting to happen.

It always saddens me to hear such limiting and absolute statements. I really don't have any preference if you sail on them or not, it just seems so rigid and absolute. Thousands of people sail on these shops each week. Can problems happen? Sure! Can problems happen on small ships? Sure! Nobody can foresee problems, and there is risk in walking out your front door each morning. Seems like every review I read about people who have sailed on the Oasis class ships are just in awe of what a great experience it is (obviously not everyone, but the majority it seems). Take a chance...have fun...and stop worrying so much.

Archived