Crown and Anchor Points not Family Friendly?

wpt1

Hiya,

I've book a cruise for my family this summer on Oasis, my wife & I and our 2 teenaged kids. We've booked 2 cabins and because of the ages of our kids I'm primary in one, my wife is primary in the other... The issue is, I will only get credit for one cabin, while my wife gets credit for the other... we cannot combine or merge or what ever... We have always used the account under my name and this cruise will give us 7 more points only, leaving me at 29, one short of the next level. Yet I paid for two cabins!?!?

my wife and I always cruise together, this is our 4th...

I asked RCL on their online chat and they said that is it...

GRRRRR it seems to not reward you fully... no incentive to bring an extended family...

Am I missing something?

Perhaps I should not be as loyal next time... maybe try princess lines???

I've sent an email to RCL asking about it...

Will post any follow up info...

I dunno, it just doesn't seem right, pay for 2 cabins but get credit for only one!?!?

laters....

Why would you expect anything different? It goes by whoever in the household has the most. So if I have 320 and DH only has 310, he gets the same credit I do. We are doing the same thing this summer when we take our grandgirls with us, never expected to get double points just b/c I have 2 cabins.

thanks....

ok next question, how does the loyalty program on Princess Lines compare???

I've asked the diff between the two cruise lines (on the timeshares BB) before and it seems they are vary comparable as far as cruise ships, food etc....

No idea of the loyalty diffs tho...

thanks

I'll suggest that RCCL operates the same as the airlines. When you buy airline tickets for your entire family, does the airline credit your frequent flier account with mileage from all 4 passengers? No your frequent flier account only gets credit for the miles that you fly. RCCL is following the same accepted practice.

As spouses, you both enjoy the status of whoever has the most points, so it really doesn't hurt you at all.

I am confused as to what you feel you are not getting? You get 7 points for the 7 nights. So does your wife and so do each of your teens. You would get the same 7 points each if you were all in the same room together or if your wife and you were in one cabin and the teens in another.

The points are for the nights YOU spend on a cruise ship, not for the rooms you pay for. Likewise, the "miles" earned as a frequent traveler are for the passenger who flies, not for whoever pays for the ticket.

thanks....

ok next question, how does the loyalty program on Princess Lines compare???

I've asked the diff between the two cruise lines (on the timeshares BB) before and it seems they are vary comparable as far as cruise ships, food etc....

No idea of the loyalty diffs tho...

thanks

All of the other lines (Princess included) work the same... each person gets credit for the nights they sail...

It's a good news, bad news kind of rule. The good news is that my first two Royal cruises were company award trips and I got credit for those even though I didn't pay for them. The bad news is that I've paid for four cabins for my kids that I didn't get credit for.

I'll suggest that RCCL operates the same as the airlines. When you buy airline tickets for your entire family, does the airline credit your frequent flier account with mileage from all 4 passengers? No your frequent flier account only gets credit for the miles that you fly. RCCL is following the same accepted practice.

Great and succinct explanation.

If loyalty points are really important to you, perhaps you might consider booking a junior suite (or higher), then you would get 14 points for a seven night cruise. All four of you in a JS might be a tight fit, but families manage it. Maybe a JS Plus an inside across the hall for the teens... Or maybe one bigger suite...if those are in the budget.

Edited by Starry Eyes

HAL has a slightly different system. You still get 1 point per night of the cruise. Double that if you book a suite. But you also get 1 point for each $300 of onboard spending. I'm a 2 star Mariner after one collectors cruise. :D

HAL has a slightly different system. You still get 1 point per night of the cruise. Double that if you book a suite. But you also get 1 point for each $300 of onboard spending. I'm a 2 star Mariner after one collectors cruise. :D

Now if RCI gave me credit for my onboard spending, I'd be Pinnacle by now!

To the OP,

If you want to work your way quickly up the C&A ladder, I'll re-iterate the open secret that the JS has been the 'sweet spot' for my family of 4.

The 4 of us are all Diamonds now.

We always sail in a JS - bigger room and double points.

Kids are young and they want to be with parents. So it all works out nicely.

To the OP,

If you want to work your way quickly up the C&A ladder, I'll re-iterate the open secret that the JS has been the 'sweet spot' for my family of 4.

The 4 of us are all Diamonds now.

We always sail in a JS - bigger room and double points.

Kids are young and they want to be with parents. So it all works out nicely.

Same here...my next cruise will make me diamond plus (and two daughter plus the husband who hasn't stepped foot on a cruise ship ;) :) :) :)

Edited by applehunt

Does this status change apply to anyone who sails with you (i.e. my boyfriend) or is it only if we are legally married?

It is my understanding your spouse is extended the same status as you (and any children)

Hiya,

I've book a cruise for my family this summer on Oasis, my wife & I and our 2 teenaged kids. We've booked 2 cabins and because of the ages of our kids I'm primary in one, my wife is primary in the other... The issue is, I will only get credit for one cabin, while my wife gets credit for the other... we cannot combine or merge or what ever... We have always used the account under my name and this cruise will give us 7 more points only, leaving me at 29, one short of the next level. Yet I paid for two cabins!?!?

my wife and I always cruise together, this is our 4th...

I asked RCL on their online chat and they said that is it...

GRRRRR it seems to not reward you fully... no incentive to bring an extended family...

Am I missing something?

Perhaps I should not be as loyal next time... maybe try princess lines???

I've sent an email to RCL asking about it...

Will post any follow up info...

I dunno, it just doesn't seem right, pay for 2 cabins but get credit for only one!?!?

laters....

You are from Toronto. The Oasis is in Florida. Are you flying there. Are you paying for all four tickets? Are you getting credit on your account for any of the mileage your children are accruing?

Suppose you and your wife were in the same cabin. You would both still get seven points each. You would not get to combine the points.

Points (and miles) are awarded to those that are on the ship or plane - not to the people who pay for the tickets. If you want double points then next time reserve a junior suite.

By the way, none of the other cruise lines will award extra points to the person who buys the tickets. The point go to the person who uses the tickets.

Why do people continue to question the OP about their original comments,

When he has already accepted that the reality of how it is, I am sure we have all blown of steam at times, and then realise we might have jumped the gun :eek:

Although I have to admit, I would have liked to see a system where a choice could be made of who gets the cruise points, as I have also paid for many others to cruise ( for our wedding party ), and NO I will not pay for you.

But at the end of the day I accept that points are given for the cruise days taken, rather than those paid for.

wow, thanks all... very informative... really I had no idea.... guess this is the reality check of how it is....

thanks!

wpt

Edited by ChipLondon

Although I have to admit, I would have liked to see a system where a choice could be made of who gets the cruise points, as I have also paid for many others to cruise ( for our wedding party ), and NO I will not pay for you.

But at the end of the day I accept that points are given for the cruise days taken, rather than those paid for.

That would really set them up for some abuse. Just think - I'm traveling with my friends and we decide for one of the group, me, to handle all the reservations and being the good friend that I am I tell them, why not pay me and I'll take care of it all. Then I turn around and expect to get all those nights from the cruise line.

Actually, I do it now on a smaller scale. I book for cruises for DS and I. I pay she reimburses.

How does the cruise line know who is paying or what? She gets her points and I get my VISA miles, doubled. ;)

That would really set them up for some abuse. Just think - I'm traveling with my friends and we decide for one of the group, me, to handle all the reservations and being the good friend that I am I tell them, why not pay me and I'll take care of it all. Then I turn around and expect to get all those nights from the cruise line.

Actually, I do it now on a smaller scale. I book for cruises for DS and I. I pay she reimburses.

How does the cruise line know who is paying or what? She gets her points and I get my VISA miles, doubled. ;)

I can see an even bigger opportunity for abuse. Husband pays for trip - himself, wife and three kids. Gets 35 points for 7 night cruise then entire family gets to share his status.

I can see an even bigger opportunity for abuse. Husband pays for trip - himself, wife and three kids. Gets 35 points for 7 night cruise then entire family gets to share his status.

I agree with your example, but it could get worse than that... an extended family plans renunion on a cruise. One savvy family member collects checks from everybody, then pays the cruiseline for all the cabins. Boom, he is D+, the rest of the family (who paid him) are zeros.