Monarch's final days

After over 21 years of service, Monarch of the Seas will embark on her final voyage within the Royal Caribbean fleet tomorrow.

Here is to the good times aboard the old gal and to bright future for her successor, the beautiful Enchantment of the Seas.

With mixed feelings, farewell Monarch of the Seas!

:)/:(

Are they going to schuttle her to make an artifical diving reef? Now THAT would be cool.

Not sure if you are serious, but Monarch is going to be painted and transfered to Pullmantur Cruises. I believe she is going to be based out of Curacao. There was a thread I think yesterday or two days ago with a photoshopped picture of her in Pullmantur colors, and she looked really good I thought.

Edit - looks like I got beat by like 2 mins lol

I'm glad that she is being phased out since she really can't compare to today's Royal Caribbean ships, but it's always sad to see an old ship go. Farewell Monarch!

Between the small cabins, and the fuel efficiency issues and outdated drive system, she just can't keep up, but I am glad I got to sail on her. I would like to get to go on the Majesty before she leaves as well.

She was our first RCI ship. I was as impressed with Monarch back in 1993 as I was with the Allure in 2011. Both were absolutely amazing at the time they were built.

My first cruise as well. 1994 7 day Southern Caribbean. My parents, brother, and I - all four of us in an inside cabin with the two pulldown beds. And we thought it was heaven. We thought it was a gigantic ship and so luxurious. I still have some old video of my brother and I doing a complete walkthrough of the ship and excitedly describing everything there was to do. How things have changed in just twenty years.

So long, Monarch!

We just started cruising and we're going on the Majesty next month, we wanted to experience this class before its gone!

Also noticed that the Monarch is now off the website. With all the problems their website seems to have, they sure are quick to remove Monarch off the site.

I hate to see all the smaller ships going away. I guess I may not think this or...may think it more yet after we try the Allure for the first time in Oct.

I know we did the last sailing with the Empress ...it was one of the best cruises we ever had!

Even though the Monarch is considered old by RCCL (and cruise critic) standards, she is far and away such a pretty and dignified looking ship. Always loved the lines of that ship .. particularly the stern that was reminiscent of the SS Normandie (built by the same shipyard in France).

Even though relegated to the 3 and 4 night cruises toward the end, she was still so much classier looking than the Carnival equivalents that do these same itineraries. To see Monarch/Majesty next to those ghetto barge looking Carnival Sensation/Ecstasy boats .. it pretty much told the whole story! Sad that they are outliving her in Port Canaveral.

We got to sail on Monarch twice .. sure wish we got one more chance. Might be time to do a Majesty trip before its too late!

Archived