Questions about Panama Canal cruise

alexandra cruiser

not sure if 10 or 11 better for small price difference.One stays 5hrs.in Aruba and other full day.They alternate between Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman(havent been to either,any preference?).

Which ship is better?read member reviews and sort of mixed.

Am a total newbie to Princess,any help would be appreciated.

Trying to decide between this one and Southern caribbean next yr.

Going over xmas,will it be packed with kids?

Any cruisers done both cruises,which one first?:confused:

My personal preference is always longer is better. However, I definitely prefer Grand Cayman over Ocho Rios and also would prefer the longer stay in Aruba.

So, if the longer cruise includes Grand Cayman and a longer stay in Aruba .. it would be a no-brainer for me :)

Just returned from the 3/7 10 day on the Coral to the Panama Canal. The trip into the Canal is a great experience and well worth seeing. It is truly a man-made wonder. And the Coral was a super ship with a great crew, tho it is an older-style ship at about 2000 passengers.

Because there are few "beach days" on this trip (Aruba and Grand Cayman) there are usually not as many young people/families on board as there might be on a So. Carib trip (which we have also done). Any cruises at the holidays will have more families, however. But ours was at a traditional spring break time and because of only 2 beach days, there were not many families or college groups.

It also depends on what you want to see-the other stops for the PC cruise are often Costa Rica (great for rain forest trips) and Cartagena (for old Hispano-American culture and history). Most of the So Carib trips are beach-oriented and small islands. The Aruba stop for us was only 7am to 12:30pm or so-some people went to the beaches and others just strolled the town area. Grand Cayman, a great beach/snorkeling stop, was actually skipped because of high waves and concerns with tenders -that does happen there. Ocho Rios offers similar choices for its day.

So your choice depends on what you want to do, have interest in, and who is going with you on the cruise.

In any case, you can read here on CC about all the choices on the cruises you have interest in and make an informed decision. You will have a great experience either way.

My personal preference is always longer is better. However, I definitely prefer Grand Cayman over Ocho Rios and also would prefer the longer stay in Aruba.

So, if the longer cruise includes Grand Cayman and a longer stay in Aruba .. it would be a no-brainer for me :)

I agree.

As for the ship, the Coral has just been renovated with an International Cafe and other new features. I'd still book the cruise with Grand Cayman and longer time in Aruba but if it's the Coral, that would be a nice bonus. Other than the renovations, the two ships are sister ships.

We did the 10-day partial cruise on the Island Princess and loved the itinerary which included a full day in Aruba and Ocho Rios. We had previously spent a week's vacation in Aruba and were familiar with the island, but had no problem spending another day there on a snorkel tour. I would not want to spend less than a day here. Also, despite all the "hits" that Ocho Rios gets, we had a great time with a private tour company, Peat Taylor, and I would not hesitate to recommend him. But I would also love to go to Grand Turk.

Panama Canal cruises don't tend to draw families and while you may find more families in December than we did in mid-April (after spring break), I still don't think there will be so many as to affect your enjoyment of this cruise.

I, too, would choose Grand Cayman over Ocho Rios. I'd always choose the longer cruise if the days work for me. Coral and Island are sister ships and both are nice, but the Coral was recently in drydock. I've done the partial transit a few times and like the relaxing cruise, but a So. Caribbean cruise that included St. Lucia would be a temptation. St. Lucia is my favorite. I'm sure there will be more families at Christmas, but usually the longer the cruise and a cruise with a lot of sea days is less attractive to families.

I also agree. A longer stay in Aruba plus Grand Cayman over Ocho Rios would definately be the preferred choice for us.

Same here! For all the same reasons... The Coral is a wonderful ship, made so by her awesome staff & crew!

Nicci

for 2014 xmas schedule to be posted.

Will go for full day Aruba,Grand Cayman,and Coral Princess,,,,IF available on the date needed.

Looked at a few Panama Canal cruise posts,and it seems ALWAYS very early in AM(like 5am).That may be a drawback,we are NOT early risers.Then excursions start at 8 30.Whew. Was this the case with yours,and was it worth early wake up? What excursions did you take there?

Any details appreciated.;)

We will be doing the 11 night Panama Canal cruise in the spring of 2014. We choose Grand Cayman over Jamaica and look forward to the full day in Aruba, our third time there. I do hope the water co- operates and we make it to Grand Cayman. Our first time doing the Panama Canal and a smaller Princess ship. We are looking forward to it very much.

Yes, our approach to the Canal began about 5am, in the dark. That is how it works whether you are entering from the Atlantic or Pacific side. After going thru the first 3 locks on the Atlantic entry, the Coral then enters Gatun Lake. After stopping to tender the excursion people to shore, the ship then reversed direction and went back down the way it came in, docking at Colon to wait for the excursion people to arrive later in the day. It does also have to wait its turn in the lake to begin that journey back, as travel within the locks only goes one direction at a time for 3-4 hours and then switches. Altho there are two slots side by side in the locks, they each operate in the same direction. So there are multiple ships of all varieties waiting their turn to enter at each end and in the Gatun Lake, sort of the "midpoint"- 3 locks on each side. Very interesting to see all the kinds of ships and how many. It cost Princess between $250,000 and $300,000 for the Coral and/or the Island to make EACH trip to the Canal.

About 1/2 of the 2000 passengers took excursions for all or part of the day, starting at 8am. Some are to lock areas, some to the Embera villages, some on a train to the Pacific, etc. We chose the ferryboat ride to complete the transit to the Pacific Ocean, and we were very happy with our choice. About 350 people boarded the two story ferry after about a one hour bus ride to the other side of Gatun Lake. Then about 4 hours on the ferry-open air, but mostly covered, with restrooms and a light buffet lunch. Sodas, bottled water and beer were always available (local beer for a small fee) and there is a small souvenir store on board.

Going the rest of the way in a much smaller boat was wonderful and a more personal experience of the Canal. We could stand at the very point of the ship and of course, we were lowered down much further in the lock versus on a 17 story cruise ship. In both sets of locks going out to the Pacific we had an ocean-going sailboat from Dubai headed to New Zealand tied up to us, as they were too small to go alone. Scenery even on a cloudy day was lovely and my spouse took hundreds of photos.

After arriving in Panama City, we were bussed back to Colon on a new highway that spans the country-about 90 minutes. Some shorter excursion people had been waiting for a few hours for the Coral to arrive at the dock in Colon, which had just arrived a bit before. But there is a huge shopping and restaurant area there for waiting. We were back on board in 20 minutes, had a shower and a brief rest, and hit dinner!

I do not know how the other excursions went, but the long day was certainly worth it for us, as it was the reason we took this cruise. We had had a few sea days at the very beginning of the cruise, so we rested up beforehand.

During the early morning and also during the Coral's sail on Gatun Lake and return to Colon, the ship had running commentary from Chris Roberts, our onboard Canal expert. He had provided talks also ahead of arrival on other days and the ship has a spectacular video documentary on the building of the Canal that you should not miss.

All in all, an amazing journey worth the trip and the early/long day. A true man-made wonder of the world.

not sure if 10 or 11 better for small price difference.One stays 5hrs.in Aruba and other full day.They alternate between Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman(havent been to either,any preference?).

Which ship is better?read member reviews and sort of mixed.

Am a total newbie to Princess,any help would be appreciated.

Trying to decide between this one and Southern caribbean next yr.

Going over xmas,will it be packed with kids?

Any cruisers done both cruises,which one first?:confused:

Your questions would be easier to understand if you provided all the information. I was trying to figure out which cruise was cruise number ten and which was cruise number eleven until I realized you were referring to the number of days. I have no idea which ships you are referring to, as you don't provide that information.

How interested are you in Aruba? That will determine if you should prefer to stay all day or just half a day.

I would take Grand Cayman over Ocho Rios every time. Two of my favorite excursions (Stingray City and the Turtle Farm) are in Grand Cayman. While Ocho Rios does have some good excursions (Dunn's River Falls is very popular) the street vendors in Ocho Rios are very pushy to the point that many people will not get off the ship in Jamaica or if they do, will not venture outside of the port security area.

You mention three cruises (the ten day Panama Canal, the eleven day Panama Canal and the Southern Caribbean cruise). Then you ask who has done both. Which two of the three are you referring to?

I have done a full transit of the Panama Canal (thirteen nights) and I have done a Southern Caribbean cruise. I did the Panama Canal before the Southern Caribbean. However, I would choose based on interest. You really cannot compare the two. The reason to take a Panama Canal cruise is the canal. The other ports are really secondary. The reason to take the Southern Caribbean cruise is the ports. So, which interests you more?

If on the other hand you want to compare a ten day cruise to an eleven day cruise, then choose the one which more closely fits your time schedule and has the more interesting itinerary. If both rate the same for you then take the less expensive one.

I did the full transit Christmas cruise on the Coral. What a great trip! Very few children on board and the ship was nicely decorated for the holidays. I am not a beach person so our half day in Aruba was perfect. The family is considering this sailing again for Christmas but we just can't come to an agreement.

(Hawaii - Panama - or South America) decisions, decisions...

DiamondDiva gave a very good description of the ferry excursion through the Canal. (One thing not mentioned was that there was live commentary provided throughout our journey and the commentator,one of the tour leaders, was happy to answer any questions.) This is the excursion we took and I HIGHLY recommend it. You get such a different perspective on the Canal going through it in a small vessel. Coming this far, we had to go through the rest of the Canal, and you should get a certificate attesting that you did.

It will be very worth your while to get up early to see the ship go through the locks to Gatun Lake. If you go to the far front of the ship on the Baja deck, there is a door that leads out to a deck where you can stand and get a great view of what's going on. (You'll need to go early because this "secret door" is no longer much of a secret and there will be lots of other people there.) You'll be able to hear the commentary from the ship's Panama Canal expert as you go. Also, this expert (whoever he may be on your cruise) will give a talk on the day before you enter the Canal about the history of the Canal and what you can expect to see. Don't miss his lecture!

Going the rest of the way in a much smaller boat was wonderful and a more personal experience of the Canal. We could stand at the very point of the ship and of course, we were lowered down much further in the lock versus on a 17 story cruise ship. In both sets of locks going out to the Pacific we had an ocean-going sailboat from Dubai headed to New Zealand tied up to us, as they were too small to go alone. Scenery even on a cloudy day was lovely and my spouse took hundreds of photos.

I agree. The trip in the smaller boat was the best way to see the rest of the canal, especially going through the locks. You really got a much better feel for it.

We only spent the half day in Aruba but saw most of the high spots and even had some beach time. The full day would have been fine, but we felt we didn't miss anything.

White water rafting in Costa Rica was our favorite excursion.

Thanks, GradUT, for adding about the commentator on the ferryboat. Yes, a full transit is great, but this way (taking the ferryboat to the end in the Pacific) you get a "full transit" but you return to the same port (FLL), which can make the airfare more reasonable for some.

My husband was out on the same area you describe for Baja on our Caribe deck (10) at 5am. Not so much a secret anymore, as you said, but there are a few decks this frontage.

Also at the back end of those decks there is an area for watching- of course you see what the ship has passed, but is also a good area to relax on other days, with about 15 deck chairs.

We live in Florida and have been to the Canal seversl times and are booked to go again. Both ships are very similar and I would choose the one with the timing I wanted. One year we did a B2B to Mexico and back to Florida. I wish we could do another one like that

Did the Panama 15 day on Coral 2010...........& loved the ship. If it is only 10/11 days does that mean not full transit of canal??? I would definitely do the full transit............:)

Round trip cruises through the Panama Canal are partial transits (only part of the ship goes through the canal).

Round trip cruises through the Panama Canal are partial transits (only part of the ship goes through the canal).

Only PART of the ship?! Let's hope they're on the end that makes it through then, I guess. :P

(sorry, couldn't resist).

we loved our 10 day panama canal cruise!

we only had a few hours in aruba, and i wish we had had more time. after we got back i saw the new 11 day cruises that include additional time in aruba, and i wished we would have waited.

as far as kids, we sailed dec 10-20th and there was around 20 people under the age of 18, including two toddlers and one infant.

although we did get up early on the canal day, it wasn't as early as 5am and we still saw all three locks. our excursion for the day was going to an embera indian village and we loved that too.

we loved our 10 day panama canal cruise!

we only had a few hours in aruba, and i wish we had had more time. after we got back i saw the new 11 day cruises that include additional time in aruba, and i wished we would have waited.

as far as kids, we sailed dec 10-20th and there was around 20 people under the age of 18, including two toddlers and one infant.

although we did get up early on the canal day, it wasn't as early as 5am and we still saw all three locks. our excursion for the day was going to an embera indian village and we loved that too.

and glad the cruise not filled with kids. Love the full day in Aruba.PS.we re former Detroit area(TROY) residents,now in FL>I bet you REALLY liked getting out of the cold and snow HAHA.:)

and glad the cruise not filled with kids. Love the full day in Aruba.PS.we re former Detroit area(TROY) residents,now in FL>I bet you REALLY liked getting out of the cold and snow HAHA.:)

we were so glad that there weren't a bunch of kids.

we're kind of close to detroit, down by monroe. being in a warm climate was so nice, it's still cold here! guess we need to start planning a december and march cruise every year :D

Archived