Carnival food and Norwegian food

JOHN 57

I just got off the NCL Dawn on 3/17. Hands down, Carnival wins my vote big time. The first lunch and dinner weren't bad, then all downhill from there. The food on NCL was absolutely tasteless.

Oh thanks for that.:p I'll be on the Dawn in 2 weeks. I know what to expect so I won't be surprised.

CCL has a slight edge in MDR free food.

We are booked in 3 specialty restaurants and it's lobster night the first night in the MDR although they are smallish.

Much more to pick from in the buffets and the Blue Lagoon Rocks.

Hopefully the Pearly Kings Pub still has the free hot dogs and popcorn.

Bill

So in the MDR Carnival wins hands down. For the buffet? Who the hell cares?

Obviously people do care...which is why they are posting about buffet food as well...as the title of the thread is about food in general.

I prefer the MDR on Carnival and the buffet on NCL. CCL does the Steakhouse and Italian 10 x better than NCL. The sushi which is an extra charge on NCL was better than CCL. NCL has one restauarant that is open 24 hrs that is included in the fare-that was really nice.

One thing I really liked about NCL was the MDR was open for lunch on embarkation day. So much more relaxing than the Lido on embarkation day.

Both lines have their good and bad points. My scales tell me I've not starved on either cruiseline:).

which is better Carnival food or Norwegian food. We are taking a cruise soon on Norwegian Epic, would like to know.

thank you,

John

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO John 57: It seems food is a very subjective topic. That said, We, my wife and I, of all the cruise lines we have sailed on, we have sailed on six cruise lines, enjoy the food on Carnival the most. Carnival also has more choices of types of food than any other cruise line. Carnival has a 24-hour resturant. No other cruise line has that. I don't mean room service. RCCL has a 22 hour resturant that sometimes closes earlier for cleaning. NCL has the Blue Lagoon supposedly opened 24 hours. However, when I went there one morning, about three o'clock in the morning it was closed. NCL also closes the dining room when it isn't open for food service. That is the only cruise line that we, my wife and I, that does this.

NCL has more pay dining, Carnival has the Steakhouse while NCL has 4 or 5 pay ones. both have good food but we like Carnival the best.

This has always been the reason why I'm hesitant to try NCL after being on Carnival, and is the driving force of what I consider to be "nickel and diming" (though I know all lines nickel and dime--this to me is the most blatant and annoying). However, it seems like Carnival is trying to catch up...take the Carnival Sunshine. It will have four pay venues as well--the steakhouse, the pasta restaurant, the Asian restaurant, and the finger/bar food at Red Frog Pub. At least the pasta restaurant and the Asian restaurant will be free for lunch.

I would venture a guess and say that people that eat most of their meals in the buffet.

Bill

I have yet to eat food from the regular buffet on Carnival after seven cruises. Yes, I will eat from the Mongolian wok, grill, rotisserie, Indian tandoori grill, and the daily ethnic food areas, but not once from the regular buffet. I always look at it and figure that there are better choices elsewhere. And we have not once eaten on Lido for dinner.

I could also venture a guess and say that people eat most of their meals somewhere other than the buffet. Neither one of us would be right, because again, it's generally subjective. Rarely have I seen the line for the buffet to be any longer than the lines for the other on board restaurants, though.

Like all the posts before, food is highly subjective.

When I cruise, I don't expect the food to be 5 star Michelin quality. Of course, quality and taste come into play, but so does choice.

I've sailed NCL several times, last cruise on NCL was the Epic. The quality and taste of my meals in the main dining room on NCL were for the most part on par with every other cruise line I've sailed. However, in terms of choice, NCL beats out Carnival because there is a lot more choice. There's upwards of 20 dining venues on the Epic, including an Asian hibachi, Brasilian churrascharia, Chinese restaurant, Irish pub, French Bistro, Tex-mex, and Italian restaurant.. and of course the Spiegel Tent, which was great food and entertainment.

I also dined in the two main dining rooms, the food was good and the service terrific. However, the food in the specialty restaurants was better quality than in the dining rooms... I suppose you get what you pay for. Yes, there are service fee's for the specialty restaurants ($10-$25ish depending on the venue), but you have the choice.

As said before, it is all subjective but I rank the food on the same level actually. I have to give the nod to the Epic though if only because of its buffet. I usually despise buffets but, omg, NCL has created the perfect buffet set-up on the Epic. And there is the most awesome seating area all the way forward that looks directly out over the bow of the ship.

You'll certainly not find a ship with more eating options than the Epic, both for fee and included. It's all about choice, just as it is on CCL too with their fee restaurant.

Make sure you post the question on the NCL boards too.

Only done one NCL, but their buffet was far better than Carnival. They also have Blue Lagoon, which Carnival has nothing similar. I thought the main dining room food on NCL was worse than Carnival, but the specialty dining on NCL is amazing.

which is better Carnival food or Norwegian food. We are taking a cruise soon on Norwegian Epic, would like to know.

thank you,

John

Food is always subjective but I will say that the multiple options for dining on NCL allows for some great food. Yes you may pay $25 for a steak house or Oriental, or Brazilian but the food is great. We were on the Pearl after 3 Carnival cruises and the food was an 8.5 out of 10 compared to about a 6 on the 3 Carnival cruises. There simply was no comparison with the entertainment. Like RCI, NCL does professional entertainment and head line shows. You just don't get that on Carnival anymore.

Considerable edge to NCL after several cruises on those ships vs. just one -- most recent -- on Splendor. Buffets roughly equal, although waiting lines were longer and slower on Splendor most any hour of the day. The main clincher for NCL was Splendor's sorry dessert efforts. We shared a table with a Swiss couple who ordered an apple pastry that came out absolutely inedible. After two meals in the Gold Pearl I resorted to sherbet or ice cream every meal. Also, no more breakfast or brunch or lunch in MDRs. Fun 2.0 makes those times a stand-up comedy ordeal. Also, portions in the Splendor MDRs are way too large for an aging appetite.

I have to give NCL the edge for food. I especially liked the crepes you could get at the buffet each night.

On NCL, I could really eat 24 hours a day if I wanted to. On Carnival, I am basically liited toa room service menu or pizza if I want to eat after the buffet shutdown.

Been on Carnival 3 times - we tried NCL

On Carnival and HAL - we gained weight - even though active - food real good

NCL - Sky - 4 out of 4 teen boys had a hard time finding good food

and for the first time I lost a pound on a cruise instead of gaining

Carnival wins this one

I've heard more than once that in order to get good food on NCL, you have to pay for it

We felt the food was better on Carnival. With NCL we were on the Pride of America so that might be why.

NCL does have a 24 hour diner on all ships- while we didnt like the food food, the Sundae was amazing!

I've heard more than once that in order to get good food on NCL, you have to pay for it

I have read that too but it certainly wasn't my experience. Perhaps on some of the older ships it may have been true but definitely not on the Epic.

As with Carnival though, you do have the option to pay for an upscale restaurant if you choose. I like that about both lines myself.

That is absolute nonsense.

You should believe very little of what you read on an anonymous Internet messageboard, especially from people who have only sailed once or twice on the NCL Sky.

Based on my experience with both lines, NCL's dining was much better than CCL. However so much depends on the suppliers, the particular night, how hungry you are, the purveyors and so many other variables. Some of the worst MDR food I ever had was just recently on Celebrity - go figure.

thank you, I was just wondering, because of a cruise on Norwegian, Atlantic crossing. I could not pass up the price.

You know, any meal you don't have to cook yourself is great. I think most cruise ship food is reasonably good anyway - although I haven't tried Norwegian yet.:D

That is absolute nonsense.

You should believe very little of what you read on an anonymous Internet messageboard, especially from people who have only sailed once or twice on the NCL Sky.

This is the response to the person saying that you have to pay to get decent food on NCL.

I have heard this claim too, but let's assume that's it true, that if you want something good for dinner, you have to pay.

I booked a cruise for three (inside cabin) out of New Orleans this xmas on NCL for $2517and $50 obc tossed in.

Now, the Sunshine ( now with more people!) xmas sailing, inside cabin, is $2766.

So, including the $50 obc, NCL is $299 cheaper. That $299 will buy 3-6 dinners at a pay venue for all three of us easily. Add in a less crowded ship with more places to eat, better entertainment and NCL looks better and better

Well...I've heard more than a dozen times the food on Carnival is absolutely awful.

Overall, it's not good. There are some good dishes in the dining room, but not enough of them. Selections are limited and not good quality. Deserts are poor with limited choices also

I do like the grill and Fish & Chips for lunch. The buffets are crowded and poor selections.

Archived