Us vs. Aus dollars

On the ships in Australia, when tipping for room service and the like, does the crew prefer US or AUS dollars? What's been your experience?

I don't think they mind what currency they get (as long as they get it:D) and if the ship is based in Oz AUS dollars are the "local" currency anyway. A lot of the crew seem to send their money "back home" to family so would need to be converted anyway and I guess if you tipped in AUS dollars the good exchange rate at the moment would mean you are actually giving them more than if you tipped in US dollars.

On the ships in Australia, when tipping for room service and the like, does the crew prefer US or AUS dollars? What's been your experience?

Some Australian ships charge a fee for room service and charge per item ordered so in this instance you may just want to tip your hat and say "Thank you":D

Den

Agree with ananda. Would add that it depends on the line though - if sailing on a locally based ship e.g. P&O, local Princess then AUD would be preferred.

Basically, use the same as the onboard currency.

We have already pre-paid our gratuities. Do you also give extra tips to room attendants and others again. What is the recommended amounts that people give in this situation?

We have already pre-paid our gratuities. Do you also give extra tips to room attendants and others again. What is the recommended amounts that people give in this situation?

No, you have done your bit.. Only extras would be a couple of $ for person who delivers any room service orders, or kids club/spa people.. However, if you are requesting a lot of extra services, favours or amenities from your room steward, over and above normal, it is appropriate to reward more..

S and P

No, you have done your bit.. Only extras would be a couple of $ for person who delivers any room service orders, or kids club/spa people.. However, if you are requesting a lot of extra services, favours or amenities from your room steward, over and above normal, it is appropriate to reward more..

S and P

This has always confused me. In the MDR on the last cruise night on RCCL I always see people handing over envelopes to the Waiter and Assistant Waiter.

Does that mean the waiters have given extra services?

This has always confused me. In the MDR on the last cruise night on RCCL I always see people handing over envelopes to the Waiter and Assistant Waiter.

Does that mean the waiters have given extra services?

No, not necessarily.

Up until March 1st 2013, you could pre-pay when you make final payment. (and had to if you selected MT dining). You could also get grats added to your account by going to guest service desk when you got on-board. If you had pre-paid, vouchers to present to staff were left in you room.. (And envelopes). Staff knew, and had the tips put into thier accounts.

Otherwise, (before 1st March), the expectation from dining and cabin staff, was that you would reward them on the last night.

As from March 1st, (fleetwide), you can still elect to pre-pay with final payment, (but still must if if you select MTD. .....BUT, EVERYONE WHO HAS NOT pre-paid has the recommended daily gratuity charge added to account whilst on-board.

What you probably saw, was the normal gratuities being paid, or vouchers presented before March 1st. (As you said, possibly Plus more for exceptional service)

S and P

No, not necessarily.

Up until March 1st 2013, you could pre-pay when you make final payment. (and had to if you selected MT dining). You could also get grats added to your account by going to guest service desk when you got on-board. If you had pre-paid, vouchers to present to staff were left in you room.. (And envelopes). Staff knew, and had the tips put into thier accounts.

Otherwise, (before 1st March), the expectation from dining and cabin staff, was that you would reward them on the last night.

As from March 1st, (fleetwide), you can still elect to pre-pay with final payment, (but still must if if you select MTD. .....BUT, EVERYONE WHO HAS NOT pre-paid has the recommended daily gratuity charge added to account whilst on-board.

What you probably saw, was the normal gratuities being paid, or vouchers presented before March 1st. (As you said, possibly Plus more for exceptional service)

S and P

Thanks for the explanation Big Kev.

Our last cruise from Hawaii to Sydney was in Oct 2012. We had MTD so pre-paid like everyone else in the dining room. There were empty envelopes (no vouchers) placed in our room on the last night.

We felt like were were being pressured to give the dining staff and room attendants extra.

Crew are able to change currency at their own Crew Office at a much better rate than what you would be charged doing it at the Pursers Desk, so don't bother changing it yourself.

one Aussie cruise ships where we have prepaid the gratuities we don't normally tip - only if our waiters have been above expectation and the cabin steward has been friendly and helpful. First Princess cruise we tipped them all and they were great.

Our last cruise the cabin steward was really great so we tipped him however the waiters were not always attentive or forgot thing, muddled orders sometimes so we didn't tip them although we saw many people tipping their waiters on the last night.

If we tip we base it on how many days on board and how much extra they have done. There is no rules in Australia about tipping - just what we think we would like to gift them as a thank you.

We tip in the onboard currency.:)

On the Celebrity Solstice cruise we were recently on, a lot of empty seats in the MDR last night of cruise. Discreetly our waiter told us that a lot of auto tips were taken off by the Australians on board and they did not want to face their waiters the last night and pay them a cash tip. In other words, a lot of the pax on board, who were mostly Aussies, paid nothing in tips, no auto tips no cash tips. Pretty mean in my opinion. I believe it, because on Princess ships I have seen the same thing, empty seats in the MDR last night of the cruise.

On the Celebrity Solstice cruise we were recently on, a lot of empty seats in the MDR last night of cruise. Discreetly our waiter told us that a lot of auto tips were taken off by the Australians on board and they did not want to face their waiters the last night and pay them a cash tip. In other words, a lot of the pax on board, who were mostly Aussies, paid nothing in tips, no auto tips no cash tips. Pretty mean in my opinion. I believe it, because on Princess ships I have seen the same thing, empty seats in the MDR last night of the cruise.

Hanging my head in shame:o

On the same cruise.

Didn't notice that...but then as we were in Select dining we just paid ours up front and forgot about the expense and moved on.

But we didn't tip any extra as well...unless it was room service the we tipped in US$. Usually a couple of dollars (putting Aussie gold coins in someone's hand looks a bit naff....and I'd be interested in if they can get them exchanged on board as banks will never exchange foreign coins).

On the same cruise.

Didn't notice that...but then as we were in Select dining we just paid ours up front and forgot about the expense and moved on.

But we didn't tip any extra as well...unless it was room service the we tipped in US$. Usually a couple of dollars (putting Aussie gold coins in someone's hand looks a bit naff....and I'd be interested in if they can get them exchanged on board as banks will never exchange foreign coins).

We were in traditional dining - 2nd sitting @8.30pm. I/We paid out cash tips in AUD to our two waiters, wine waiter and two cabin stewards, equal to tipping guidelines. On last night of cruise in MDR..a lot of empy seats downstairs, I asked why and got an answer. I see no reason to disbelieve it, as I have seen same on the dozen or so Princess cruises I have been on.

Now while I am here, I will clear the air re my comments re food, as I feel I have been lambasted. It was not bad..just not up to my expectations, given the awards Celebrity have got for cuisine. I was really expecting something above Princess and P&O UK, but it was much the same. I ate in Buffet and MDR only, no cover charge restaurants.

No hard feelings to anyone. I am still peeved about missing the CC Meet, no notification of venue/time, despite registering.

Happy future cruising to you all. I am going to 'Escape Completely' next year, as you see. LOL.

On the Celebrity Solstice cruise we were recently on, a lot of empty seats in the MDR last night of cruise. Discreetly our waiter told us that a lot of auto tips were taken off by the Australians on board and they did not want to face their waiters the last night and pay them a cash tip. In other words, a lot of the pax on board, who were mostly Aussies, paid nothing in tips, no auto tips no cash tips. Pretty mean in my opinion.

Of course it is. If you're too ashamed to front up the last night because of that, then it means you're taking advantage of others.

That doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't show is tip dodging, but if the cap fits, wear it.

I don't think anyone should assume that people who don't go to the dining room are deliberately skipping tipping the waitstaff. If they are so uncaring/selfish not to tip, I don't think they would be too embarrassed to go to the dining room anyway. Some people don't want to front up to the dining room on the last night in casual clothes after they have packed their other clothes. I wonder if the waiter who gave this as a reason was actually angling to get a bigger tip by making Les feel bad on behalf of the Aussies who the waiter claimed hadn't tipped.

On my last trip the "hotel charge" commonly referred to as "tip" amounted to $400 I did not feel in any way that I needed to add to it by giving a cash tip in addition. If the cruise lines insist on a wage subsidy from us..just include it in the fare and stop all this BS that causes people angst. I always leave the hotel charge on because it is part of our hardworking staffs wages and many of them are suffering further from the weak USD..in addition I always fill in the feedback cards giving recognition to those staff who have stood out through their excellence thereby enhancing their chances of promotion and recognition.

Sue

I don't think anyone should assume that people who don't go to the dining room are deliberately skipping tipping the waitstaff. If they are so uncaring/selfish not to tip, I don't think they would be too embarrassed to go to the dining room anyway. Some people don't want to front up to the dining room on the last night in casual clothes after they have packed their other clothes. I wonder if the waiter who gave this as a reason was actually angling to get a bigger tip by making Les feel bad on behalf of the Aussies who the waiter claimed hadn't tipped.

Not sure about the waiter wanting a bigger tip from me to compensate for the Aussies taking off their tips. But then who knows, the waiters don't miss much, they are there for one thing..make money.

because on Princess ships I have seen the same thing, empty seats in the MDR last night of the cruise.

The Australian princess ships are different as the staff get paid better and we pay the tips in the initial cruise price - under Australian Law.

But I do agree it would be mean on other ships where they staff have done a great job and so expect to get tips on last night.

Archived