Breeze ... waiting for elevators?

AXiDMonica

Happy monday everyone! Question for those of you who have sailed on the Breeze recently. Did you find there were unusually long wait times to get an elevator?

The Miami inaug sailing was CRAZY and the entire sailing was a long wait. I don't know if that was a special instance or what. The Venice inaug sailing was smooth sailing (no pun intended)... so how is it now?

When we were on the Breeze last year we used these things called stairs. Conveniently, they are all over the ship and don't start then stop. We weren't held up at all. :)

Wheelchairs and walkers don't work well on the stairs -- your comment may be a bit out of line.

When we were on the Breeze last year we used these things called stairs. Conveniently, they are all over the ship and don't start then stop. We weren't held up at all. :)

I don't even know how to respond to this.

I'm 30 years old and in great shape. I use the stairs and I'm very much aware of their existence. However, when I feel like taking a break from exercise, when wearing heels or whenever I need to go from deck 0 to deck 12 (where my room will be in June) I might want to get in the elevator.

It was just a question... If you don't have an answer that helps then you know what to do.

Thank you to those who answered.

Yeah, was on the Breeze last week and the elevators were crazy. You wait forever for one, then if you are on one of the middle decks they are full before they even get to your floor. And then they stop on every floor, even though they are full, so the people waiting for one there just have to push the button again and hope for better luck next time.

Part of the problem was the odd way the buttons to call an elevator worked. You're at a bank of 4 or 6 elevators, and you push the button on one side, but that will only call the elevators on that side. Since the waits are long, everyone then goes over to to other side and pushes that button too, to get themselves an elevator as soon as possible. Then the elevator comes one one side, and the people get in, but the other side is still calling for an elevator since that button was pushed as well. So an elevator eventually stops there too, even though no one is waiting for it there any longer. That just slows the elevator service with those unnecessary stops. Why wouldn't they make it so that pushing the button on either side calls both sides, like in any building you've ever been in? It would speed things up noticeably.

The bottom line is, as other have said, always take the stairs no matter how many floors you're going if you are physically up to it and have on practical shoes. I can't tell you how many times I climbed from my cabin location on deck 2 to the Lido on 10, and I'm sure it was good for me as well as being faster. But my wife has a bad knee, so when I was with her that wasn't really an option.

(Incidentally, this is just a minor pain. Overall the Breeze is the best ship I've been on yet and I recommend it.)

Sometimes we find it easier to get into an empty elevator, no matter which direction it is going. Eventually it will get to the floor we want.

Good point! I will make a mental note of this tip. You are on vacation anyway right?!

Typical. Can't see beyond yourself. You take the stairs so everyone else should too.

I would like to take the stairs too, but after hip replaement surgery, that is not possible except in an extreme emergency.

Thanks!

See, I don't know what it is... I guess the med sailings weren't as full as the Caribbean ones? It's the same ship so the waits shouldn't be happening at all times like that.

I will make plans to walk up/down everywhere and maybe save the heels for one or two nights only.

Hey, taking the stairs is a great way to work off those WCMCs right? ;)

See, I don't know what it is... I guess the med sailings weren't as full as the Caribbean ones? It's the same ship so the waits shouldn't be happening at all times like that.

I don't know, but it sounds like a plausible theory to me. Last week was a spring break weekend and the ship was overrun with kids, so my guess would be the average number of people per cabin was higher than normal since the 3 and 4 person cabins were more likely to have 3 or 4 people in them rather than just two. Perhaps there are less families with kids on a Med cruise, so there are somewhat fewer people overall.

On the other hand, you'd think the kids would be more likely to take the stairs then us broken down adults, and some of them did. But other times I saw kids taking the elevator just to go two floors.

Yeah, was on the Breeze last week and the elevators were crazy. You wait forever for one, then if you are on one of the middle decks they are full before they even get to your floor. And then they stop on every floor, even though they are full, so the people waiting for one there just have to push the button again and hope for better luck next time.

Part of the problem was the odd way the buttons to call an elevator worked. You're at a bank of 4 or 6 elevators, and you push the button on one side, but that will only call the elevators on that side. Since the waits are long, everyone then goes over to to other side and pushes that button too, to get themselves an elevator as soon as possible. Then the elevator comes one one side, and the people get in, but the other side is still calling for an elevator since that button was pushed as well. So an elevator eventually stops there too, even though no one is waiting for it there any longer. That just slows the elevator service with those unnecessary stops. Why wouldn't they make it so that pushing the button on either side calls both sides, like in any building you've ever been in? It would speed things up noticeably.

The bottom line is, as other have said, always take the stairs no matter how many floors you're going if you are physically up to it and have on practical shoes. I can't tell you how many times I climbed from my cabin location on deck 2 to the Lido on 10, and I'm sure it was good for me as well as being faster. But my wife has a bad knee, so when I was with her that wasn't really an option.

(Incidentally, this is just a minor pain. Overall the Breeze is the best ship I've been on yet and I recommend it.)

Yep...weirdest thing we've come across in a long time!! :eek: Makes NO sense the way its set up.

We didn't have long waits - but it wasn't spring break either... ;)

I can't speak specifically about the Breeze but as a wheelchair user who has no choice but to use the elevators I can tell you that on every cruise I have been on the wait for elevators on the first couple of days is just insane. After a couple of days most people realize that it is far easier to just walk up and down the stairs rather than waiting for the elevator.

We were on the Breeze in FEb. The elevators sucked. We also just got on anyway and waited and just went up or down. . We waited longer for elevators then food. Even Guys Burgers was quicker. Other than that, the ship is Beautiful.

LOL.....we were on the Breeze two weeks ago and the elevators were definitely a thorn in my side! Never on a ship before with such long wait for elevator and/or crowded ones!! This in a way turned out to be not such a bad thing since it was an encouragement to use the stairs more and work off some of the great food!

Wheelchairs and walkers don't work well on the stairs -- your comment may be a bit out of line.
Not at all.

And in that case wheelchairs and walkers have no option but to wait

-or sue Carnival to install special Handicapped elevators to be used by no one else!

I also have no problem catching an elevator depending on the time of day!

Mornings before 0730 hrs. things run just fine!

Maybe the OP is a first-time cruiser who doesn't know better than to wait on an elevator those few hrs. after embarkation.

That's when you hit the stairs instead! Great exercise!! ;)

Part of the problem was the odd way the buttons to call an elevator worked. You're at a bank of 4 or 6 elevators, and you push the button on one side, but that will only call the elevators on that side. Since the waits are long, everyone then goes over to to other side and pushes that button too, to get themselves an elevator as soon as possible. Then the elevator comes one one side, and the people get in, but the other side is still calling for an elevator since that button was pushed as well. So an elevator eventually stops there too, even though no one is waiting for it there any longer. That just slows the elevator service with those unnecessary stops.

...FINALLY, the voice of reason. The elevators on the BREEZE take twice as long... for a reason! When you get to an elevator bank of, lets say, six elevators (three on each side) and you press the button to go up, only the three elevators on the side of the "button presser" is activated! Now, when people realize this, what do they do? (Including myself) They cross the elevator bank and press the other side, activating THOSE three elevators.

...Then an elevator comes and you get on. Guess what? The elevator will still arrive on the other side, thus causing people on other floors to wait.

...We thought it was really a strange procedure, as we couldn't remember any other Carnival ship with this scenerio. It's definitely a problem. Good thing is that it was the only problem we ever encountered on our week long Breeze cruise!

As of February the elevators were very frustrating to use. Long waits and full once they finally got to you. As to the comment about using stairs, it is great if you only need to jump up a couple decks but who in their right mind is walking up 10+ decks of stairs :rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Yep...weirdest thing we've come across in a long time!! :eek: Makes NO sense the way its set up.

We didn't have long waits - but it wasn't spring break either... ;)

We sailed on the Breeze and noticed the same thing...Very slow to get there and like you said people push both sides...weirdest set up I seen.

...FINALLY, the voice of reason. The elevators on the BREEZE take twice as long... for a reason! When you get to an elevator bank of, lets say, six elevators (three on each side) and you press the button to go up, only the three elevators on the side of the "button presser" is activated! Now, when people realize this, what do they do? (Including myself) They cross the elevator bank and press the other side, activating THOSE three elevators.

...Then an elevator comes and you get on. Guess what? The elevator will still arrive on the other side, thus causing people on other floors to wait.

...We thought it was really a strange procedure, as we couldn't remember any other Carnival ship with this scenerio. It's definitely a problem. Good thing is that it was the only problem we ever encountered on our week long Breeze cruise!

Agreed!

Not at all.

And in that case wheelchairs and walkers have no option but to wait

-or sue Carnival to install special Handicapped elevators to be used by no one else!

I also have no problem catching an elevator depending on the time of day!

Mornings before 0730 hrs. things run just fine!

Maybe the OP is a first-time cruiser who doesn't know better than to wait on an elevator those few hrs. after embarkation.

That's when you hit the stairs instead! Great exercise!! ;)

Maybe it's just me but this is why I hardly post here... I feel like people can't just answer the question asked and move on. They feel a need to make the poster feel bad.

Obviously I am NOT a first time cruiser (my signature can tell you that and I believe I've mentioned in this post that I have already been on the Breeze TWICE) ... Also, I did mention I take the stairs throughout my cruise because it does make for great exercise.

Now, Aplmac, if I am misinterpreting your post I apologize.

We take the stairs 95% of the time when we cruise - the Breeze x 2 was no exception. However, there definitely was more of a wait for elevators on this ship than on all others we have been on. Pretty much the only time we took an elevator was when we came back on from a port, and didn't feel like going from deck 0 to our cabin on deck 8, or up to Lido from there, either. We also found that some of the elevators were "down" during our cruise - most numerous times. ("x" on top of elevator display) This also caused a backup at times.

Archived