Elite...no Social hour, just drink vouchers

We have late seating and never found it a problem. The shows are at 7:00 PM, so we would get our final (3rd drink) at the Rendezvous Lounge at 6:55 PM and then go to the theater with drink in hand.

I thought you were not allowed to remove drink or carry drinks out of the lounge?

That's one thing we really did like about RCL is having 3 drinks loaded on our card and also a drink lounge from 5:00 - 8:30 PM. But it was not enough to lure us away from Celebrity totally. We found the food - especially lunch buffet and lunch in the MDR on Explorer to be very poor.

Maybe we just had a bad cruise, and we are booked on Liberty of the Seas for October 2015 so we will give it another shot. If food is not better on that sailing then we probably will not be booking any more RCL cruises.

We are thinking of trying Princess but then we would be the bottom of the barrel.

You didn't have just a bad cruise. RCCL's lunch offerings have gone downhill in the Windjammer on many ships, and lunch in the main dining room is the fixed menu you saw on the Explorer. They are adding more dining venues over the next year to start their new Dynamic Dining program, and it's supposed to roll out to all their ships. That will open up the no-charge dining to several more choices.

We have been on Princess twice. Both times were because of the itinerary. We did a circle South Pacific cruise for 4 weeks from Los Angeles that was fantastic. Since we got an obc from Princess, I used that for a drink in the evening. I would sail on Princess again in a heartbeat for a great itinerary.

We sailed HAL for the first time this year: 28 nights from Sydney to Seattle. They have a happy hour from 4 - 5pm daily that is a buy one-get one for $1. That worked out pretty well for us, too, and we used obc to pay for those, also. HAL's buffet dining was very good. In Honolulu the buffet manager went to the fish market and bought 1,000 lobsters, and surprised the evening diners with unlimited split lobster tails. I was in HEAVEN!!

Edited by pcur

You didn't have just a bad cruise. RCCL's lunch offerings have gone downhill in the Windjammer on many ships, and lunch in the main dining room is the fixed menu you saw on the Explorer. They are adding more dining venues over the next year to start their new Dynamic Dining program, and it's supposed to roll out to all their ships. That will open up the no-charge dining to several more choices.

We have been on Princess twice. Both times were because of the itinerary. We did a circle South Pacific cruise for 4 weeks from Los Angeles that was fantastic. Since we got an obc from Princess, I used that for a drink in the evening. I would sail on Princess again in a heartbeat for a great itinerary.

We sailed HAL for the first time this year: 28 nights from Sydney to Seattle. They have a happy hour from 4 - 5pm daily that is a buy one-get one for $1. That worked out pretty well for us, too, and we used obc to pay for those, also. HAL's buffet dining was very good. In Honolulu the buffet manager went to the fish market and bought 1,000 lobsters, and surprised the evening diners with unlimited split lobster tails. I was in HEAVEN!!

Thanks for the info. So is RCL getting rid of the MDR concept on all their ships? Not sure why they have to have "Dynamic Dining" and just can't have really good cruise ship dining. If the food is no good, I really don't care what the concept is.

Edited by CruisingChick

When there are vouchers being used this rule does not apply if you get your drink at one of the other bars, ie. Mast Bar, Rendezvous Lounge, Pool Bar, Sunset Bar, etc.

Yes, understand if you use vouchers. But without vouchers they would not allow you to leave with a drink in hand. Didn't understand that. Especially if you had the drink before you left. Not order a drink to take out.

Does complaining about complaining count? If not, then I'd like to complain about old threads that keep on resurfacing as if they have not been beaten to death numerous times in the recent & not so recent past. Sometimes I think that we are mice running on a wheel......round & round & round........ yet I can't stop reading!:confused:

I will ask my daughter she posted on my Facebook page :confused: ;) :p