long underwear?

gladgirl

I'm from TX, DH and I are taking our first cruise in May (NCL). We have two hiking excursions (Mendenhall Glacier and one in Skagway). Are we really going to want long underwear under our jeans when we are hiking around? Or are layers on top going to be enough.

We don't like being cold, but I don't like being hot either :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Howdy fellow Texans! Unless you're actually hiking on a glacier, I doubt you'll need the long underwear. I walked around on Meade Glacier out of Skagway and it was very very cold up there. Otherwise, no need for it. Have a wonderful cruise to the most beautiful place on earth!

If you easily get chilly then get them. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Don't wear jeans. Wear something like waterproof pants that have insulation. If you don't want to do that then get waterproof pants that go over your jeans.

Keith

I'm from TX, DH and I are taking our first cruise in May (NCL). We have two hiking excursions (Mendenhall Glacier and one in Skagway). Are we really going to want long underwear under our jeans when we are hiking around? Or are layers on top going to be enough.

We don't like being cold, but I don't like being hot either :rolleyes:

Thanks!

You can buy very lightweight long underwear now. Cuddlduds makes some that are like silk, very light weight and comfortable to wear under clothes. I bought mine in Kohls and love them. Cute patterns or solid colors too. No more those heavy long underwears of yesteryear! LOL

When we needed ours was on Glacier Bay day, not on land. But we did need them then! It was very cold on one tour, not so on the other. Both times in very late May. Take a pair just in case. They are very small and will not add weight to your luggage.

I second the recommendation for Cuddl Duds

http://www.cuddlduds.com/

You can find them on-line, at Kohls, at Pennys and many other stores. They come in plus sizes too and are available for men and women.

We didn't do any glacier hikes etc. However the one time we definitely needed them each cruise was standing out on deck for hours in Tracy Arm and Misty Fjord. This year Glacier Bay.

We usually cruise the end of May-month of June time frame and I always pack my Cuddl Duds. I find the CDs come in handy when I am viewing glaciers, taking excursions that are on the water and on damp rainy days in port.

You can find them on-line, at Kohls, at Pennys and many other stores. They come in plus sizes too and are available for men and women.

We didn't do any glacier hikes etc. However the one time we definitely needed them each cruise was standing out on deck for hours in Tracy Arm and Misty Fjord. This year Glacier Bay.

Super! Thanks MilliesMom. I just ordered some from the website and they have a 50% off & free postage promotion going on until 4/6/2013 Promo code SPRING50. ;)

I hate being hot, and would probably sweat to death wearing long underwear while hiking unless it was near freezing temps. Then again, I'm not from Texas. You may feel the cold more, being from a hotter climate.

Definately take them - as others say, cuddle duds or "silkies" are very thin, but add that layer you will need either on the glaciers & definately on the ship while cruising any of the glaciers. May in Alaska is generally cooler. Stocking hat or knitted ear warmers + gloves & thicker socks important also. Spray your shoes before you go a couple of times with water repellent spray. Hopefully you have some "hiking" type shoes/boots already broken in.

Have a great cruise.

Super! Thanks MilliesMom. I just ordered some from the website and they have a 50% off & free postage promotion going on until 4/6/2013 Promo code SPRING50. ;)

GREAT ... you are very welcome. They are a really good product. I just posted about the sale on our roll call. Thank you for the heads up about it.

just ordered me a set, white long sleeve top and leggings for $32.00 and free shipping... So excited...

You will be so glad that you did- super comfortable and warm and sometimes i even wear them as pjs to bed. I have 3 pairs.

I got some for Christmas, but they are the fleece kind. I need to order some of the thinner kind since we will be trekking on a glacier and also doing some white water rafting! And my MIL told me we wouldn't need longjohns! LOL:)

We too, are from Texas. We did the Alaska Cuise last May. We took a few warm things and really never needed them. We both only put on long sleeves the day we did glacier bay. Saying that, if you are cold natured you'd probably feel more secure if you pack a pair. I really wouldn't go overboard on the packing though. Enjoy your trip. It is amazing and beautiful.

Thanks for the link! We are sailing b2b Vancouver -Whittier where we will visit many glaciers from the ship and up close. I am hoping that all of you ladies are correct and I will enjoy my mens version of cuddlduds. At 1/2 off I couldn't go wrong

Thanks again

Dave

DW (more than me) has been obsessing already about what clothes to pack, and we have 21 weeks to go yet!

But these are some great ideas for warm weather clothing.

And I want to get on a glacier too, so we'll probably need something.

And I can use it for my cold weather running here in Wisconsin.

Thanks all!

If you plan to spend any significant amount of time outside on deck while the ship is moving, you will be very glad your brought long underwear. On the day we were in Glacier Bay, I was on deck at the front of the ship (where it is very windy) for several hours. I wore long underwear, fleece pants and top, and rain pants and a jacket. I removed the layers as the ship slowed and the sun warmed me, but I wouldn't have been able to stay outside for long as the ship entered the national park if I hadn't worn those layers.

Archived