Wine tasting?

Hubs and I bought the premium drinks package for our upcoming cruise, which includes "house wine by the glass". I've heard some terrible things about the house wine. I have a confession - I don't know diddly about wine. If it's not vinegar, I'll drink it, which means I'll probably drink the house wine without fuss. :o

I know that sometimes wine tasting classes are offered on board. Has anyone ever been to one and if so, is it worth it for a wine novice like myself? Will I actually learn anything, or is it just a ploy to sell wine?

I went to a wine tasting on board back when they had a C&A coupon to get in without charge. I found it to be interesting. I don't know if it would have been useful for someone who knows a lot about wine. But I, like you, know little and I enjoyed it.

I went to a wine tasting on board back when they had a C&A coupon to get in without charge. I found it to be interesting. I don't know if it would have been useful for someone who knows a lot about wine. But I, like you, know little and I enjoyed it.

Thank you! I'll have a look through my coupons when I board.

Thank you! I'll have a look through my coupons when I board.

There are no longer coupons for wine tasting. Check the Pre-cruise Planner section of Royal's website for wine tasting. Some ships offer a tasting called the Lafite Wine Experience, and this can be booked ahead of time.

There are no longer coupons for wine tasting. Check the Pre-cruise Planner section of Royal's website for wine tasting. Some ships offer a tasting called the Lafite Wine Experience, and this can be booked ahead of time.

Oh. :(

I'll have a look on the RC website to see if this is offered on my cruise. Thanks!

Oh. :(

I'll have a look on the RC website to see if this is offered on my cruise. Thanks!

Here is some strong advice:

You are already buying the premium drinks package. On it you will be restricted to low-end wines.

Do NOT take the Lafite wine-tasting class! Better that you don't know what you are missing! :eek:

;)

:D

Here is some strong advice:

You are already buying the premium drinks package. On it you will be restricted to low-end wines.

Do NOT take the Lafite wine-tasting class! Better that you don't know what you are missing! :eek:

;)

:D

I did a bit of googling and apparently there are two different wine tasting classes that are offered: one is called "Explorer Academy - Making Sense of Wine", which is held in Vintages and the other is the Lafite Rothschild Class which is held in the dining room. Both incur an additional charge, and something tells me I'd probably enjoy the one in Vintages much more because (1) wine really does make no sense to me. If it tastes good, I'll drink it, and if it doesn't I won't, and (2) ignorance is bliss. :D

I did a bit of googling and apparently there are two different wine tasting classes that are offered: one is called "Explorer Academy - Making Sense of Wine", which is held in Vintages and the other is the Lafite Rothschild Class which is held in the dining room. Both incur an additional charge, and something tells me I'd probably enjoy the one in Vintages much more because (1) wine really does make no sense to me. If it tastes good, I'll drink it, and if it doesn't I won't, and (2) ignorance is bliss. :D

Isn't whether you like the taste or not the only thing that really matters?;):)

Isn't whether you like the taste or not the only thing that really matters?;):)

I didn't like wine.

Mrs E. drug me, kicking and screaming, to one of those free wine tasting seminars.

You know what I learned...

I still didn't like wine.:p

We went to the LaFite wine tasting and had an enjoyable time. We had also done the coupon wine tasting a few years ago. The LaFite tasting was far superior for us. They offered a white wine, I believe a Chardonnay and 3 reds, all a blend of Merlot and Cabernet. I learned that I liked the one with more Merlot. The gentleman that conducted the tasting had been the Somelier aboard the ship and was very informative.

They offered cheese and fruit to go with each wine and explained why each cheese went with each wine better.

I found the whole experience interesting and a wonderful way to spend an at sea afternoon. It lasted about an hour or 2 and was on the last sea day.

I like wine and yes, the taste is all that matters. I am currently drinking a red called (I kid you not) "Fruity Red Vin de France" which was gifted to me by my father-in-law, who won it at the local British Legion Bingo Night. To me, the wine is not unpalatable but to someone who is familiar with the subtleties of wine, it might taste like rocket fuel. :rolleyes:

I'd like to learn more about the subtleties, how different grapes from different regions contribute to different tastes, etc. I also searched for Chateau Lafite Rothschild at Auchan and found that it retails for €775 a bottle. I would be afraid to drink it.

Archived