April 6th San Diego sailings

DAllenTCY

HAL is sending out an "Emergency Notification" to Westerdam/Zaandam guests who are boarding this Saturday. Please arrive after 1:30 pm....better yet between 3 and 4 pm.

Disembarkation and embarkation will be delayed due to a number of factors.....primarily to roadway construction in front of the pier. The major cross street is closed.

Both ships will be docked at the same pier, so taxis, shuttes, busses, and personal vehicles will be limited to a single entry lane and a single exit lane.

David

Thanks David, hope those sailing this weekend see this, I know several and will try to let them know.

Hope it clears up and is not too bad for May 7th when I am there to board the Zuiderdam. We will be the only ship embarking and disembarking but the Solstice will be there as a Port stop.

David maybe you would know what side of the pier will they probably have the Zuiderdam docked?

Any of you San Diegans know what the construction project is all about? It's been torn up there for a while. Is is just a matter of widening/re-routing North Harbor Drive and/or is there more happening? On the SD hotel thread, someone posted a pic of the former HI and it appears some structures have gone up in the Ampco parking lot across the street at 900 West Broadway. Don't know if those are temp only, but they made the lot there a bit smaller.

I also remember something hearing on the local News there over a year ago about the future of the two multi-level Naval buidings opposite the Midway museum, south of the Ampco lot. Any plans there? Thanks a bunch for any info!:)

Hi Lisa,

South side of B Street for the Zuiderdam, and north side for Solstice.

There is also the Regatta at Broadway.

Are you going to stop by and say "Hello" at Southwest?

David

David, Yes we will be coming into Southwest at 10:10 am we will see you there :)

There are 3 things going on around the pier. First of all, Harbor Drive is being relocated about 150 feet to the east between Market St. and Cedar. That is why there is only one lane open on Harbor right now in both directions. Secondly, Broadway St. is being widened, and a median constructed, so the intersection is completely closed where it meets Harbor Dr.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/north-embarcadero.html

Second, there is a major construction project between Cedar and Grape and between Harbor Dr. and Pacific Coast Hwy.

http://www.constructiondigital.com/under_construction/san-diegos-new-waterpark-is-underway

Third, the old Lane Field ballpark area, which has been a parking lot is now approved for constuction...two phases

http://www.portofsandiego.org/lane-field.html

And that doesn't consider the Navy Complex development project by Doug Manchester.

That project has not been approved yet. The site is 1 block south of the B Street pier, but across the street from the Broadway pier.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/news-ticker/2013/jan/26/california-sues-manchesters-firm-reports-show-navy/

David

Hi Lisa,

South side of B Street for the Zuiderdam, and north side for Solstice.

There is also the Regatta at Broadway.

Are you going to stop by and say "Hello" at Southwest?

David

That would be the same as we had last year. Wonder why they don't give the Zuiderdam the North side as we are the only ship taking on/letting off passenger. It is only a port stop for both the Solstice and Regatta.

Seems strange to me but who am I to understand why they do what they do.

HAL is sending out an "Emergency Notification" to Westerdam/Zaandam guests who are boarding this Saturday. Please arrive after 1:30 pm....better yet between 3 and 4 pm.

Disembarkation and embarkation will be delayed due to a number of factors.....primarily to roadway construction in front of the pier. The major cross street is closed.

Both ships will be docked at the same pier, so taxis, shuttes, busses, and personal vehicles will be limited to a single entry lane and a single exit lane.

David

At least now I'll be able to sleep in a bit. ;) And even though I won't be able to get there early to enjoy an embarkation lunch, I will (eventually) be on a HAL ship! :D Thanks for also posting this info on our roll call. :)

David

Now that is interesting and valuable info (thanks). I should mention that we will be embarking on the Westerdam and have not received any type of notice from HA (as of this minute). This makes me wonder if HA is only notifying a certain percentage of passengers with a goal of staggering passenger arrivals.

Hank

Now that is interesting and valuable info (thanks). I should mention that we will be embarking on the Westerdam and have not received any type of notice from HA (as of this minute). This makes me wonder if HA is only notifying a certain percentage of passengers with a goal of staggering passenger arrivals.

Hank

Did you book direct with HAL or a travel agent. Notification from HAL went out this morning. (actually email went out at 1:16 am Thursday April 16, 2013 If you booked with a TA they may not have been able to notify you.

The notifications stated this, they came out to agents if they had clients on the bookings and the notifications either stated Westerdam or Zaandam

IMPORTANT NOTICES:

This is to advise that, due to port congestion in San Diego, we expect a delay

in embarkation for the ms Zaandam sailing on April 6, 2013. Because there is

limited seating at the San Diego facility, we ask that our guests delay their

arrival to the pier until 1:30pm. We regret any inconvenience this may cause,

and we appreciate our guests' patronage and understanding.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at 1-800-577-1728.

For our Australian guests please contact 1300 987 322.

For our Dutch guests please contact 0800-7245425.

For our GBP booking guests please contact us at 0843 374 2300.

Guests from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg and

Scandinavian countries please contact 00800-18731873.

At the beginning of this cruise cruise season we had triple ships for two days in a row with local road construction. Nothing happened. There are two million people in the San Diego metropolitan area. Cruise ship traffic hardly shows up on the radar. Compare a cruise ship to 70,000 people going to a football game.

If there is a problem all one has to do is get out of their taxi a block away and walk in. There will only be a problem for people trying to drive into the pier gate, which is unnecessary for any able-bodied person as the distance from the Harbor Drive sidewalk to the check-in area is very short.

igraf

David

If there is a problem all one has to do is get out of their taxi a block away and walk in. There will only be a problem for people trying to drive into the pier gate, which is unnecessary for any able-bodied person as the distance from the Harbor Drive sidewalk to the check-in area is very short.

Unless you have alot of luggage! :eek: :D

Did you book direct with HAL or a travel agent. Notification from HAL went out this morning. (actually email went out at 1:16 am Thursday April 16, 2013 If you booked with a TA they may not have been able to notify you.

The notifications stated this, they came out to agents if they had clients on the bookings and the notifications either stated Westerdam or Zaandam

IMPORTANT NOTICES:

This is to advise that, due to port congestion in San Diego, we expect a delay

in embarkation for the ms Zaandam sailing on April 6, 2013. Because there is

limited seating at the San Diego facility, we ask that our guests delay their

arrival to the pier until 1:30pm. We regret any inconvenience this may cause,

and we appreciate our guests' patronage and understanding.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at 1-800-577-1728.

For our Australian guests please contact 1300 987 322.

For our Dutch guests please contact 0800-7245425.

For our GBP booking guests please contact us at 0843 374 2300.

Guests from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg and

Scandinavian countries please contact 00800-18731873.

This could be why there's confusion;)

This is very suspicious. If the passengers are all sitting in the port facility then roads and local ground transportation were not a problem. Obviously they all made it to the pier!! This indicates that passengers will not be able board the ship upon arrival at the pier.

Could be a health problem, ship maintenance or a problem with US Customs due to federal budget cuts.

igraf

IMPORTANT NOTICES:

This is to advise that, due to port congestion in San Diego, we expect a delay in embarkation for the ms Zaandam sailing on April 6, 2013. Because there is limited seating at the San Diego facility, we ask that our guests delay their

arrival to the pier until 1:30pm. We regret any inconvenience this may cause,....

Yep, we finally got one of the HA notices today. Not sure why there is so much speculation as the problems we will on Saturday were forecast to happen because of 2 HA ships being at the port at the same time (this is not a normal). Apparently the folks who are on the current Westerdam cruise were told to expect their debarkation to be a bit late and this will, of course, delay the embarkation. We should note the this kind of issue is more common with Princess in some of these West Coast ports and they have utilized a more complex embarkation method of assigning various times to different cruisers. At any rate, what this means is that the relaxing embarkation day with the Mariners embarkation lunch will just be a fond memory.

Hank

So this has nothing to do with local road construction.

igraf

Yep, we finally got one of the HA notices today. Not sure why there is so much speculation as the problems we will on Saturday were forecast to happen because of 2 HA ships being at the port at the same time (this is not a normal). Apparently the folks who are on the current Westerdam cruise were told to expect their debarkation to be a bit late and this will, of course, delay the embarkation. We should note the this kind of issue is more common with Princess in some of these West Coast ports and they have utilized a more complex embarkation method of assigning various times to different cruisers. At any rate, what this means is that the relaxing embarkation day with the Mariners embarkation lunch will just be a fond memory.

Hank

Because the gangway on the south side is to small for the Soltice.

David

Well I guess that answers my question. Though thinking back to last year I think it was the Westerdam and she had the north side of dock. Same size as the Zuiderdam who again had the south side, oh well.

Are they going to get that beautiful pleasure craft out of there before they try docking the Zuiderdam on that side of the dock??

Well I guess that answers my question. Though thinking back to last year I think it was the Westerdam and she had the north side of dock. Same size as the Zuiderdam who again had the south side, oh well.

Are they going to get that beautiful pleasure craft out of there before they try docking the Zuiderdam on that side of the dock??

Good One Melodi :D I would think they will have to mover her before Saturday since this saturday will be Zaandam and Westerdam ;) My guess the Zaanadam might crush her a bit.

Archived