MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

If you are talking about late Nov - early Feb. It's dark around here by about 5pm. If you leave on time at 4pm and it's a nice day - you might catch a sunset behind the Statue, but the SoL itself will be on the wrong side of that sun. It is lit up at night, but I'm not sure what time they put those lights on. It looks pretty cool with the lights on. If you have a good camera, you might get some good shots.

IIRC it takes about 45 minutes to get to within sight of the Statue.

Thanks. I'll be cruising out of NYC December 3rd and December 11th. The Statue was lit up when we sailed in March but I was hoping for a possible sunset shot for at least one of the sailaways. :)

That's a tough call. December in NY with the shortest days of the year and mostly cloudy skys. We are leaving on the Splendor on July 4th and we are hoping to leave late so we can see the fireworks show as we sail out of New York harbor.

Good luck with your trip. :)

That's a tough call. December in NY with the shortest days of the year and mostly cloudy skys. We are leaving on the Splendor on July 4th and we are hoping to leave late so we can see the fireworks show as we sail out of New York harbor.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for that. The harbor will be packed with small craft that night. Everyone and his uncle who has even two planks tied together will be there. They will most likely want to move any larger ships through before it gets too crazy.

I don't think anyone wants to see the headlines if any small boat gets plowed down by a cruise ship!

You might catch some off the Jersey shore if the Captain can sail close enough. Every shore town has fireworks and they will be celebrating this year after Sandy where ever they can!

We are leaving on the Splendor on July 4th and we are hoping to leave late so we can see the fireworks show as we sail out of New York harbor.

I hope it happens for you, but I wouldn't count on it. The fireworks don't start until after 9pm, and there will be an obscene amount of pleasure craft in the harbor. I'm sure the CG will want all cruise ships gone long before the show starts.

Thanks. I'll be cruising out of NYC December 3rd and December 11th. The Statue was lit up when we sailed in March but I was hoping for a possible sunset shot for at least one of the sailaways. :)

I was going to say that you might have a better shot on the way back in, but at that time of the year it will probably still be dark. Night shots of Lady Liberty are cool too!!

I hope it happens for you, but I wouldn't count on it. The fireworks don't start until after 9pm, and there will be an obscene amount of pleasure craft in the harbor. I'm sure the CG will want all cruise ships gone long before the show starts.

The only time they altered a leave I know of was the Miracle on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Think it almost took an act of Congress to stay and watch that.

Well if it doesn't happen in December I'll just have to cruise again from NYC during the springtime or early fall. :D

I was going to say that you might have a better shot on the way back in, but at that time of the year it will probably still be dark. Night shots of Lady Liberty are cool too!!

I'm not an early morning person but I did think about a shot on the way in.

I'm not an early morning person but I did think about a shot on the way in.

Actually, the morning shots tend to be better because the sun is at your back, as opposed to shooting into the sun. I find that shooting Lady Liberty during sailaway, you are better off waiting until you have sailed a little bit past her, then shoot in a NW direction.

Of course if it's cloudy, no problem!!!

Carnival_Glory_182.jpg

Edited by Jamman54

The only time they altered a leave I know of was the Miracle on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Think it almost took an act of Congress to stay and watch that.

I wonder if that was more of a security thing, than being allowed to delay departure. Sometimes the harbor needs to be clear for security purposes.

I wonder if that was more of a security thing, than being allowed to delay departure. Sometimes the harbor needs to be clear for security purposes.

You leave when the harbor master tells you to leave, not before, not after.

Nice!

Actually, the morning shots tend to be better because the sun is at your back, as opposed to shooting into the sun. I find that shooting Lady Liberty during sailaway, you are better off waiting until you have sailed a little bit past her, then shoot in a NW direction.

Of course if it's cloudy, no problem!!!

Carnival_Glory_182.jpg

You leave when the harbor master tells you to leave, not before, not after.

I beleive you are correct. I rmember reading about first on John Heald's site (he was supposed to be on the Miracle for that voyage...I think) and then here. Had a friend on that sailing who got stunning pics of the two beams of light pointed skyward. Once in a lifetime shot!

:) I am so happy to have found this thread! My soon to be hubby and myself are floating out on the Splendor 9/6/13 following our wedding on 9/5/13. I'm anxious to hear from everyone that cruises before we do. I'm a detail person, so NOTHING is too trivial for my interests. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post lots of stuff! I have a couple of questions right now, how early are passengers showing up at the pier?? I was told by a long time Carnival cruiser to show up as early as 7:30 or 8:00 am, that way we would be close to the front of the line when boarding starts. I'm considering making some BV purchases....how soon will these items be in my stateroom. I have an aft-extended balcony room on the 8th deck, room 8452....is anyone familiar with this specific or type of room. Are there full length loungers on the balcony? Details pretty please!

:) I am so happy to have found this thread! My soon to be hubby and myself are floating out on the Splendor 9/6/13 following our wedding on 9/5/13. I'm anxious to hear from everyone that cruises before we do. I'm a detail person, so NOTHING is too trivial for my interests. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post lots of stuff! I have a couple of questions right now, how early are passengers showing up at the pier?? I was told by a long time Carnival cruiser to show up as early as 7:30 or 8:00 am, that way we would be close to the front of the line when boarding starts. I'm considering making some BV purchases....how soon will these items be in my stateroom. I have an aft-extended balcony room on the 8th deck, room 8452....is anyone familiar with this specific or type of room. Are there full length loungers on the balcony? Details pretty please!

Lol, that's way to early to get there. They will probably start boarding between 10:30 and 11:00. The way boarding starts is weddings first, then VIP (which is Diamond, Platinum, and FTTF), then by zone number. Zone numbers are assigned bass upon when you complete checkin.

We have seen BV purchases in room when we get on and sometimes a bit later. I believe their is a lounger in an aft extended, but it's been a long time since we stayed in one. Congrats on your upcoming wedding. Enjoy your cruise and honeymoon and let us know your thoughts when you return.

Holy Moly....you would be waking up the pax on the previous cruise if you got there that early!!! :D:D 10:30-11 is perfect time. We were 2 doors away from you in 8446 in May. Just be warned it's a LONG walk to your cabin! Pack a pair of sneakers or comfy shoes in your purse and slip your heels off after dinner lol. :p You will have a GREAT time on the Splendor. Congrats on your wedding! ;)

Quick question for all my recent Splendor cruisers - more NY port, but I don't know if I'll get many answers on the port board.

I need a place to meet my sister at the pier - ugh! She's going to be in Edgewater over the weekend and she has decided to take the ferry over instead of coming to my house and going over in the limo with us - silly girl!

I need a place to tell her where to meet us and although I've been through there a bunch of times, I can't think of a good spot. It's always such a madhouse!

Quick question for all my recent Splendor cruisers - more NY port, but I don't know if I'll get many answers on the port board.

I need a place to meet my sister at the pier - ugh! She's going to be in Edgewater over the weekend and she has decided to take the ferry over instead of coming to my house and going over in the limo with us - silly girl!

I need a place to tell her where to meet us and although I've been through there a bunch of times, I can't think of a good spot. It's always such a madhouse!

hmmmm Wish I could give exact advice. The only thing that pops into my head is after check in on the right as you walk down near the restrooms. There is a little kind of cubby hole towards where the ship will be.

Someone posted a Splendor review with photos recently & had an aft-extended balcony room & it did have full length loungers on the balcony. I believe there were 2 of them. :)

hmmmm Wish I could give exact advice. The only thing that pops into my head is after check in on the right as you walk down near the restrooms. There is a little kind of cubby hole towards where the ship will be.

Thanks - but I need to meet her before check in. I have the tickets and she doesn't have access to a printer. I guess we are just going to have to use cell phones and play "Can you see me now?" :p

I was thinking of telling her to meet us by the bow (but on the dock - not in the water!) of the ship, but I don't know if they will let anyone stand there. They pretty much don't let you stand anywhere. They are always moving people along.

Lol, that's way to early to get there. They will probably start boarding between 10:30 and 11:00. The way boarding starts is weddings first, then VIP (which is Diamond, Platinum, and FTTF), then by zone number. Zone numbers are assigned bass upon when you complete checkin.

We have seen BV purchases in room when we get on and sometimes a bit later. I believe their is a lounger in an aft extended, but it's been a long time since we stayed in one. Congrats on your upcoming wedding. Enjoy your cruise and honeymoon and let us know your thoughts when you return.

THANK YOU so much for the information. I have not yet done my online check-in. I guess I better round up my passport and get on it!! I had no idea that your zone was based on when you check in. I haven't floated from a US port in so long, that I had forgotten that important peice of information!!

Holy Moly....you would be waking up the pax on the previous cruise if you got there that early!!! :D:D 10:30-11 is perfect time. We were 2 doors away from you in 8446 in May. Just be warned it's a LONG walk to your cabin! Pack a pair of sneakers or comfy shoes in your purse and slip your heels off after dinner lol. :p You will have a GREAT time on the Splendor. Congrats on your wedding! ;)

Silly Cruisin' Karen....I don't do heels EVER when I'm on a cruise. I barely do heels on a workday! LOL! I wondered if we were going to have a long walk, but after hearing all the RAVES about the aft-extended balconies and wraps, I just had to book one! I'm also hoping that in choosing deck 8, things will be quieter for us. The carnival rep told me that our cabin is directly under the serenity deck....two doors down and one flight of stairs UP. I loved the sound of that!!