Chef's Table Questions

dogdoc2002

Sorry if this has been asked before- I searched for old posts and couldn't find answers. 2 quick questions-

1) How does one sign up for the Chef's Table? We're sailing on the Sapphire next month.

2) Is the Chef's Table worth the money if you can't eat shellfish? I have seen several posts with pictures, and most if not all had multiple courses involving shellfish. I love it but my partner has a food intolerance, and while I'd love to sacrifice and eat hers, not fair if she's limited to just 1 course.

Thanks!

I can't eat shellfish and I have done the Chef's Table several times. They have different menus and at least one of them can be adapted for you. There are usually several appetizers. They have made separate ones for me without the fish. Also a couple of times I have just skipped one appetizer. There is still more than enough food. There may be a risotto with lobster in it but if they know ahead of time they can substitute something else. I have never seen anything but meat served for the main course. I definitely think it's worth the money.

You sign up at the beginning of the cruise. You can call the dine line or dinner reservation line. You can see the maître d' in the dining room the first afternoon. You may be able to sign up at the passenger services desk, but I think the other two ways are better.

I certainly think it's worth the $95. Just plan on spending 2-2.5 hours for the whole thing. I called the DINE line as soon as I got onboard my last cruise, and one of the questions I got asked was if I had any food allergies. I don't know what allergies would keep someone from participating, or what or how severe they are; fortunately I don't have any food problems.

I too would volunteer to eat your partner's serving of risotto with lobster, it was delicious!

In addition to dinner and unlimited wine with each course, everyone gets a nice printout of the menu (done in calligraphy - I have mine framed), a very nice photograph of the group and a copy of the Princess cookbook. Evidently all of the Chef's Table participants, no matter what the ship, gets a copy of the same cookbook. At least that was according to one guy in our group who had 6 copies of the book. He said that he uses them as Christmas presents. The book is very attractive and well done.

The maitre'd had one of the staff take the books to everyone's cabins so we didn't have to deal with them if we weren't planning on going back to our cabins right away.

I avoid all seafood and still greatly enjoyed the Chef's Table. There is enough variety and quantity of food that you can skip what you do not like to eat and that will not diminish the experience.

I've done the Chef's Table twice on the Sapphire, with a serious crustacean allergy, and they've been absolutely wonderful - the menus others have posted have been completely safe as well.

On CB, the menu was modified in that one of the appetizers was replaced with one that was shellfish-friendly and the risotto death morsels were offered on the side.

It is still not overpriced at $95, because it's not just the food ..... it's the total experience. I have done it 4 times so far, and there is SO MUCH food amd conviviality!! Also great wine pairings with each course.

IMO, to increase your chances of making it onto the list, it is imperative that you make a call to the dining line immediately upon arriving in your cabin on embarkation day.

We would love to dine at the Chef's Table. IS the 95.00 charge including the wine pairings and if it is, what is the price without the pairings? Thanks!

I think it's about $75.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have been perfectly satisfied with the meal even if I'd needed to skip one, two, or three of the items.

I had no such need and everything was appealing to the eye and every bit as delicious as it looked.

The Maitre d' placed the menu on the table "because I am required to provide one" but put it face down "because we want you to be surprised with every course." (When one diner peeked, he noticed! :D)

Shellfish? At ours there was a Lobster Margarita as the first appetizer. I do not believe we were served a lobster risotto.

The only thing left to be desired was another notch on my belt! We will do this again, definitely.

I would have been perfectly satisfied with the meal even if I'd needed to skip one, two, or three of the items.

I had no such need and everything was appealing to the eye and every bit as delicious as it looked.

The Maitre d' placed the menu on the table "because I am required to provide one" but put it face down "because we want you to be surprised with every course." (When one diner peeked, he noticed! :D)

Shellfish? At ours there was a Lobster Margarita as the first appetizer. I do not believe we were served a lobster risotto.

The only thing left to be desired was another notch on my belt! We will do this again, definitely.

Our menus were rolled up and tied with a little ribbon. I untied it and placed it in the middle of the cookbook so it would stay flat. I have it framed and it's hanging next to the group pix. Whenever I pass it, I begin to drool thinking about the delicious dinner.

I loved the chef's table meal. My only disappointment was the giving out of Cook books. Single individuals got their own book but couple's only got one. At $95.00 a person, we each should have gotten one.We all paid the same dollar amount and should been treated the same.

We've done the Chef's Table three times. If I were part of an opposite-sex couple I'd complain about the cookbook situation. It does seem unfair that they only give one per couple. Since we're both men, we've both received copies each time. There was a lesbian couple at our last Chef's Table. They both received copies of the cookbook and they both received roses. At another Chef's Table, we sat beside a pair of sisters who were doing it without their husbands. They both received cookbooks and roses.

All three of our Chef's Tables were at the lower price. I think it was worth the experience but I'm not sure we'll do it again. For just a few dollars more we can have the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.

I should have complained since we did pay for the books.

I was planning on keeping one and giving the other to my daughter who loves to cook. Well, she has the book and I wish I had one.

Tho I'm a single person, I think you would have been in your right to have said something.

Archived