$38 a night!!!

flip270

Interesting article regarding the $38/night on Carnival.

http://gma.yahoo.com/carnival-cheaper-motel-6-not-exactly-195349269--abc-news-topstories.html

For those not wanting to read all that, the main point of this post from the above article... "A search on Travelocity revealed a four-night Bahamas cruise on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas departing April 15 and April 22 priced from $37 per person, per night. The ship launched in 1992. A four-night Bahamas cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line's Sky, launched in 1999, is priced from $32 per person per night, departing on April 15."

That being said...the price seems to reflect more the season rather than an all out sale to turn people back onto cruising.

Well I also would sell Carnival. However, I use to hell bent on the cruise line until I notice some recent changes: No more live band, Food on my last trip wasn't as good as others, and I felt that NCL had a better children's club. However, I did like the ideal of letting my gd have lunch and dinner with them. Or go in an excursion w/o the youngings.

Interesting article regarding the $38/night on Carnival.

http://gma.yahoo.com/carnival-cheaper-motel-6-not-exactly-195349269--abc-news-topstories.html

For those not wanting to read all that, the main point of this post from the above article... "A search on Travelocity revealed a four-night Bahamas cruise on Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas departing April 15 and April 22 priced from $37 per person, per night. The ship launched in 1992. A four-night Bahamas cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line's Sky, launched in 1999, is priced from $32 per person per night, departing on April 15."

That being said...the price seems to reflect more the season rather than an all out sale to turn people back onto cruising.

Majesty's a great ship. I'd sail her again in a heartbeat. Crew is very comparable to the Sky

The cheapest I could find for NCL was $43 per night, but RCCL has one for $23 per night.

These are old ships during low season. It isn't really a sign of Carnival falling into a hole, these are normal discount rates for less desirable vacation times- hurricane season.

Fantasy did fail a health inspection, but so did TWO Celebrity ships- with lower scores (and they are having propulsion problems in Asia right now). None of that got into the news. The news just picks on Carnival- and really it is bad for the cruise industry in general. People who haven't cruised before see all this news and they don't think "hmm, I'll try NCL" they think "no way in hell am I going on a cruise". It's not so bad for current cruisers though, since deals are to be had.

While listening to the news on the way home from work last night, I heard the Fantasy failed their health inspection. If Carnival has anything else go wrong, they're going to have to pay people to board their ships.

This same month, 2 Celebrity and 1 Princess ship also failed.

It happens. And it seems to happen for reasons that would not scare me away from eating in an establishment. ( ex- flies. I hate them. I understand that its impossible to get rid of all flies. I hate chemicals more)

Here is a search of CC = Failed inspections. It happens.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/search/results.cfm?q=CDC

I didn't mean to indicate Carnival is the only line to have a ship fail inspection. It's just one more thing to add to their recent problems.

I agree that Carnival's recent difficulties may have an adverse impact on the industry as a whole. But, I also think it will affect them more than the others. Since the Costa incident, Carnival has not been able to get out from under the bad press & people are starting to believe it's self-inflicted because of "cost saving" measures that include poor maintenance.

I'm happy to pay a bit more then $38/night to not sail on Carnival or poop in a bag! If you think NCL's prices are too high, sail Carnival. But good luck getting home!

(LOL) In Afghanistan, we called those bags "Wag Bags"... technically I was being paid to "poop in a bag"... a bad cruise is still better than being in 130 degree desert in Southwestern Afghanistan in summer!

While listening to the news on the way home from work last night, I heard the Fantasy failed their health inspection. If Carnival has anything else go wrong, they're going to have to pay people to board their ships.

The information you heard was incorrect...it was the Fascination, not the Fantasy

I would sail on Carnival again, with them being the largest cruise line I would also assume they would have more issues and more haters to point out their flaws.

I haven't had a bad cruise on any of the 4 lines I have sailed. Though Disney was still my favorite, I can't afford their prices. Will be adding Royal to my possible cruises in 2014 as I haven't sailed with them yet.

I was just telling my husband last night I would book a dirt cheap last minute cruise for a 3-4 day weekend. Carnival might just fit the bill, though normally I prefer a 7 day cruise.

The information you heard was incorrect...it was the Fascination, not the Fantasy

Fantasy was inspected on 1/18/2013 and scored 81

Fascination was inspected on 2/21/2013 and scored 84

Celebrity has had 2 inspection this year. Century had a 78 and Summit had a 81.

Scores 85 and lower are considered "not satisfactory"

1/18/201381

1/18/201381

I disagree with the OP. Do not arbitrarily lower the price.

The price needs to be kept at a point where the cruise line can afford to perform maintenance on the ships & operate in sanitary conditions. I'll gladly pay more to not have to endure what those poor people on Carnival have been subject to lately.

Can you imagine what would have happened if those problems occurred on one of the other lines Carnival owns, like Cunard? :eek:

The cheapest I could find for NCL was $43 per night, but RCCL has one for $23 per night.

These are old ships during low season. It isn't really a sign of Carnival falling into a hole, these are normal discount rates for less desirable vacation times- hurricane season.

Fantasy did fail a health inspection, but so did TWO Celebrity ships- with lower scores (and they are having propulsion problems in Asia right now). None of that got into the news. The news just picks on Carnival- and really it is bad for the cruise industry in general. People who haven't cruised before see all this news and they don't think "hmm, I'll try NCL" they think "no way in hell am I going on a cruise". It's not so bad for current cruisers though, since deals are to be had.

Well said. I think you run the risk of problems on any of the older ships. But people want cheapest possible price always so they book old ships, during undesirable times and then whine because it wasn't the "perfect" holiday. You want perfect? Then go to any cruise line and pick a new ship and sail mid March. Yep it's expensive but it will be wonderful. Guaranteed.

Archived