Itinerary Help - Very Beginning Stages

hazeleyez3

My husband and I want to take a Greek Isles cruise next year (probably in September). Because of work, we cannot take a cruise longer than a week, and my husband wants to stay with Royal Caribbean.

We are in our late 30s (no kids), interested in history and culture (as opposed to beaches), my husband love photography, and I have a slight walking paralysis.

I would love to go to Athens and Turkey but, of course, no 7-day hits both. So, here are our two choices – both are on Splendour of the Seas, round trip from Venice, and pretty much the same cost.

• Dubrovnik, Corfu, Athens, Mykonos, Argostoli, and 1 sea day

• Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Santorini, Katakolon, and 2 sea day

Out of curiousity, what are some of the things you enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) in each of these ports?

I've not been to any of these particular ports with the exception of Athens.

However, on a short 7-day cruise of the Med, I personally would opt for the cruise with only 1 sea day, and in fact I would probably find something with NO sea days.

Been to all but Mykonos and Argostoli. Corfu, IMHO, is the least desirable of the stops I am familar with- it doesn't have the history and beauty the others do. Corfu is definitely a different part of Greece, and is pretty. Just wouldn't go back there if didn't have to.

You do know Ephesus is in Turkey? And it is incredible. Katakalon is also very interesting with Olympia. As you aren't going to Athens, Olympia is a good substitute. Dubrovnik is wonderful. Santorini is breathtaking. One of the prettiest spots I have ever seen, and we aren't rookie cruisers or travelers.

So, I would take the second route, with 2 sea days.

I hate to say it but no way would I spend the money and time to travel to Europe for a seven day cruise. Given that weekends are involved and with a little planning maybe a holiday (July 4th or Memorial day maybe) can't you stretch it into a 10 day cruise? That would still give you the ability to leave after work on a Friday and return on a Monday.

Looks like the itineraries are designed for B2B. The itinerary we are doing in June, also on Splendour, is a combination of both: Dubrovnik, corfu, santorini, athens, Katakolon. Is it still being offered?

Thanks for your input everyone.

Been to all but Mykonos and Argostoli. Corfu, IMHO, is the least desirable of the stops I am familar with- it doesn't have the history and beauty the others do. Corfu is definitely a different part of Greece, and is pretty. Just wouldn't go back there if didn't have to.

You do know Ephesus is in Turkey? And it is incredible. Katakalon is also very interesting with Olympia. As you aren't going to Athens, Olympia is a good substitute. Dubrovnik is wonderful. Santorini is breathtaking. One of the prettiest spots I have ever seen, and we aren't rookie cruisers or travelers.

So, I would take the second route, with 2 sea days.

Yes, actually the stop in Turkey is what attracted me to the itinerary.

I hate to say it but no way would I spend the money and time to travel to Europe for a seven day cruise. Given that weekends are involved and with a little planning maybe a holiday (July 4th or Memorial day maybe) can't you stretch it into a 10 day cruise? That would still give you the ability to leave after work on a Friday and return on a Monday.

We've already incorporated vacations around the holidays the last couple years, and we don't want to abuse the policy. Even if we did want to, there is no 10 day that would include Labor day.

The 10 day ones leave on a Friday, and return on a Monday. Adding in flights to and from, we'd still have to take 9 or 10 days.

Looks like the itineraries are designed for B2B. The itinerary we are doing in June, also on Splendour, is a combination of both: Dubrovnik, corfu, santorini, athens, Katakolon. Is it still being offered?

Unfortunately, I don't see it.

My husband and I want to take a Greek Isles cruise next year (probably in September). Because of work, we cannot take a cruise longer than a week, and my husband wants to stay with Royal Caribbean.

We are in our late 30s (no kids), interested in history and culture (as opposed to beaches), my husband love photography, and I have a slight walking paralysis.

I would love to go to Athens and Turkey but, of course, no 7-day hits both. So, here are our two choices – both are on Splendour of the Seas, round trip from Venice, and pretty much the same cost.

Out of curiousity, what are some of the things you enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) in each of these ports?

Honestly, I would split a week doing a land holiday in Athens and Santorini.

Corfu, IMHO, is the least desirable of the stops I am familar with- it doesn't have the history and beauty the others do.

I completely disagree. Corfu has a beautiful old town, with lots of interesting sights, and it is one of the greenest of the Greek islands.

I completely disagree. Corfu has a beautiful old town, with lots of interesting sights, and it is one of the greenest of the Greek islands.

I agree with you UKBayern. When I planned my Italy/Greek cruise I wanted Mykonos and Santorini. It just happens that the cruise also included Corfu and Katakalon. After the cruise, we both said Corfu was the prettiest of the Greek islands. Wondering why Mykonos and Santorini are so much more popular and talked about. To me they were barren and dry. Corfu was lush and green. We'd like to go back and spend a week just on Corfu.

You mention walking paralysis. Many of these ports would likely involve significant walking to see the most popular sights.

Katakolon - Main sight is Olympia. Most spend two to three hours walking the sight.

Dubrovnik - Main sight is the city walls. About a two hour walk around.

Athens - Acropolis - Walking to get there and then around the sight.

Kusadasi - Ephesus - Tours drop you at the top of the ancient city and pick you up about 2 hours later at the other end.

Lots of great, great options in the Greek and Turkish Coast areas. Plus, Dubrovnik is super wonderful. No one cruise can do it "ALL". Too many good options.

I would suggest to widen your "net" a little and look a little wider than just with the one cruise line. Like your husband, I am really into photography and love the many great options in these various ports.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 14,000 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had over 7,056 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 127,569 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

You mention walking paralysis. Many of these ports would likely involve significant walking to see the most popular sights.

Katakolon - Main sight is Olympia. Most spend two to three hours walking the sight.

Dubrovnik - Main sight is the city walls. About a two hour walk around.

Athens - Acropolis - Walking to get there and then around the sight.

Kusadasi - Ephesus - Tours drop you at the top of the ancient city and pick you up about 2 hours later at the other end.

Thanks.

Length of time doesn't bother me. I just won't be sprinting around the sights like some people could.

I did a 10 day cruise on Oceana Nautica that was 10 days and 10 stops. It went to both Athens and Turkey (Kudasi???). Anyway, the stop in Turkey was great. We went to Ephisus and we also stop at the Virgin Mary's house. It also included Santorini, Greece which was very nice. I am going to do the first option that you listed on the Splendor this June. Our ports and itinerary changed a great deal from the time I booked it and today. I was a bit annoyed by that as we already purchased airline tickets and made hotel reservations as we are spending 3 days in Venice prior to the trip. So even if I didn't like the new itinerary, I am sort of stuck. So if you are looking for the best itinerary, I would look at the Oceana website, but they are pricier than Royal Carribean. It was much more luxurious and we had no days at sea so I got to go to 10 places. So I felt it was worth the extra money to go with a pricier company for that trip.

We have been to all the ports you listed except for Argostoli and Katakolon.

It is a tough call to choose, like picking Key Lime Pie or German Chocolate Cake. Both are excellent.

Like you , we love history and especially ancient history. Even though Santorini a special, I would go with the first cruise. Athens has the Acropolis, which is at the top of anyone's list for ancient landmarks. Also, near the Acropolis is the new Acropolis Museum, which is great. Go to the third floor first.

Corfu is magical, suggest going to the monastery on the NW of the island.

At Mykonos, suggest going to Delos since you are interested in history. You can do Delos and still have time to stroll in Mykonos.

Dubrovnik, be sure you walk the walls of the city.

Archived