where to buy SIM cards and get Euros in Rome?

Kidsoftheseas

We arrive in Rome early in the morning (like at 7am I believe) and that is going to be our one day there prior to returning again on the port day.

We would like to get some SIM cards for our phones to knock that our, and also maybe get Euros?

Where do people usually do this? Is airport good idea? Ideally of course we would like to knock this out first and fast, check into our hotel and then go out to sight see as much as we can.

Please advise! :)

And you usually can buy local SIM cards at stores at the airport. Remember you need an unlocked GSM phone. I often buy a local SIM in advance so it's ready to go. It may cost a few dollars more, but it's one less thing to worry about.

Here is one place I have used. http://www.telestial.com/sim_bridge.php?ID=IT

or

http://www.ekit.com/ekit/MobileInfo/Service/italy Has good info

I've been looking for a SIM spot, also (just data for my iPad). On one of the websites I've traversed, there is a TIM (tele mobile Italia) and a Vodaphone store in Terminal 1 at FCO. The airport map didn't show any at any other terminal. If you don't get it there, you'll have to look for one of the stores in town. You DO need your passport with you (not the copy), so if you are leery of having your passport out and about, definitely look for the store at the airport. Don't use one of the kiosks - they are supposedly a ripoff. Look for the actual store.

Your phone is a quad-band unlocked phone, right? If not, you're out of luck.

Buy some Euros at your bank before your trip. If your financial institution doesn't sell them, most of the large banks have branches that have an international exchange. You will get the best exchange rates there.

DO NOT exchange money at the airport - the exchange rate and fees will give you the least for your money. There are money exchanges in Rome but, again, you will be paying dearly for the euros.

While you may be charged a few dollars from your bank for using an ATM in Rome (or any other foreign place), this is the best solution once you are in Europe. Just make sure your PIN doesn't start with a zero. The ATMs in Europe won't accept any PIN starting with a zero.

Just make sure your PIN doesn't start with a zero. The ATMs in Europe won't accept any PIN starting with a zero.

This is not true. I have been using my debit card for years in Europe and have never had a problem with my pin that starts with zero.

On the other hand, you DO need to have a 4-digit pin only; nothing longer.

what does quad band mean? I know my phone is unlocked as I buy a sim to put in when I travel to Australia, but have no idea so what quad band means?

In simple terms, "quad band" means it is capable of using all the standard frequencies used for cell phones in the world. Not sure how it applies to Aussie cell phones, but a number of American cell phones don't have worldwide frequency ability.

In simple terms, "quad band" means it is capable of using all the standard frequencies used for cell phones in the world. Not sure how it applies to Aussie cell phones, but a number of American cell phones don't have worldwide frequency ability.

You want a phone that as GSM technology, not CDMA (ATT & T-Mobile good, Verizon & Sprint bad). Then you want to be sure that your phone accesses more than just the bandwith your carrier uses. Somehow, I think "quad band" started in the US as being able to access the 2 your carrier uses AND the 2 that were the standard in Europe.

The US uses a different set of bands than Europe and Australia (the most of the rest of the world). Just check to be sure that your phone uses the 900 and 1800 bands and GSM technology and is unlocked (I don't know if this is a US-sprecific quirk, where you have to go to you provider to get a password key to be able to use your phone on other networks) and you'll be able to buy a SIM. If you phone is CDMA or uses only 850 and 1900 (US, Canada, Mexico, some places in Caribbean), you'll need a different phone.

Thank you for that. The CDMA network in NZ closed about a year ago so you can't use those here any longer either. I have a year old Galaxy mid range smart phone that is unlocked so I think all will be good! (And as we pack the smart phones, the IPOD, the 3 IPOD Nano, the 2 tablets and the kindle for our family trip, I wonder how on earth I ever survived back packing around Europe 15 years ago without any technology...)

Archived