The NEW Celebrity Secrets thread (4/2013)

ghstudio

Does Celebrity have a kids menu? Is there anything interesting on it or have any adults ordered from it. On Princess, the kids menu has a huge ice cream sundae called a volcano. Kids of all ages order it, but I'd cruised on Princess for years and never heard about it until recently. Some people have ordered other good things as well. Just wondering if Celebrity has any hidden gems on the kids menu???

I have a question for all you Celebrity veterans out there...

I just booked my first cruise on the Silhouette in January. I also am getting the Basic Alcoholic drink package. I know the limit is $8 for an alcoholic drink, but I have heard that you can get small versions of martinis that will be covered by this?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!

The small versions are your basic gin or vodka martinis as well as cosmos made with bar level ingredients or name call liquors such as Absolute & Stoli vodka or Beefeater & Tangueray gin. The premium package gets you upgraded liquors such as Ketel One, Belvedere or Grey Goose vodka as well as Bombay Sapphire gin. The premium package also gets you the larger martinis at the martini bar, the majority of which are 10 dollars. There are about 20 different various concoctions and not all of them contain gin or vodka.

I would wait until you get on board to peruse your different choices at both the martini bar as well as the molecular bar and see if the choices are appealing. It will only cost you 11.50 per day to upgrade since you got the classic package as part of the 123 or pick your perk promotions. You also get fancier bottled waters and fancier coffees with the premium package as well as the raised limits to 12 for alcoholic drinks instead of 5 for beer and 8 for wine and mixed drinks.

The crowds get bigger and stay longer as people become aware of the draws

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbypee viewpost.gif

Guessing these shows are listed in the little daily paper? yes times are listed

How long do they last? about 1-1.5 hrs

How often do they have them?once a day

Is it crowded-get there how early?15 minutes early

Awesome that some people get to win pieces! I love watching blown glass demos!!

Thank you!

Just a couple of comments on your answers, John. The shows generally go for 2 hours (sometimes 10-12, or 1-3, or 4-6 depending on the day's schedule. Each of the 3 glass-blowers do one piece, or part thereof to be continued on the next day, and do the narration for one of the other two colleagues.). If you are on a transatlantic with several sea days, there are usually 2 shows a day. And sometimes even especially FANTASTIC nighttime shows. The shows really are wonderful -- as you mentioned. It's one of the reasons we love the first 3 builds of the Solstice class.:D

Does Celebrity have a kids menu? Is there anything interesting on it or have any adults ordered from it. On Princess, the kids menu has a huge ice cream sundae called a volcano. Kids of all ages order it, but I'd cruised on Princess for years and never heard about it until recently. Some people have ordered other good things as well. Just wondering if Celebrity has any hidden gems on the kids menu???

I've cruised on Celebrity with my children four times. The most recent was a couple weeks ago in May on the Equinox.

I never noticed anything very interesting on the children's menu – just the normal stuff like macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, hamburgers and cheeseburgers. But the hotdog at the mast grill is delicious! It's an all beef hot dog. We went up there too many times to count. That's my secret tip!

Not sure if this is was mentioned on the other thread but for people who have never been on Celebrity before it seems to me that they keep the wonderful brunch a little secret. They don't talk about it and it's not widely publicized, it's like you have to be in the know to know about it. We always love love love that brunch! Not so Secret tip (more common sense) is to make sure you get there early before everything is demolished and picked over :-)

There were a little sandwiches at Café Bacio during our May Equinox cruise! :)

Just a couple of comments on your answers, John. The shows generally go for 2 hours (sometimes 10-12, or 1-3, or 4-6 depending on the day's schedule. Each of the 3 glass-blowers do one piece, or part thereof to be continued on the next day, and do the narration for one of the other two colleagues.). If you are on a transatlantic with several sea days, there are usually 2 shows a day. And sometimes even especially FANTASTIC nighttime shows. The shows really are wonderful -- as you mentioned. It's one of the reasons we love the first 3 builds of the Solstice class.:D

[/i]

Thanks for the correction. I thought 2 hours but the woman i dearly love told me that that 1-1.5 was the length.

we have only been on the Solstice as far as Solstice class goes but we now are booked on the Eclipse and the Hot Glass Show was a big part of our decision.

Not sure if this is was mentioned on the other thread but for people who have never been on Celebrity before it seems to me that they keep the wonderful brunch a little secret. They don't talk about it and it's not widely publicized, it's like you have to be in the know to know about it. We always love love love that brunch! Not so Secret tip (more common sense) is to make sure you get there early before everything is demolished and picked over :-)

We sailed the Summit & enjoyed the brunch on our only sea day. Our next X-cruise has 2 sea days .... wondering if the brunch is offered on each sea day or only once on a 7-day cruise .....

We sailed the Summit & enjoyed the brunch on our only sea day. Our next X-cruise has 2 sea days .... wondering if the brunch is offered on each sea day or only once on a 7-day cruise .....

It will just be offered once.

And as for when it is offered it is usually one of the last sea days... Look for it in the celebrity today, but as the pp said, it is not well publicized. You can always ask your waiter in the MDR- they will know when it is...

I can't imagine that it would be more than once on a 7-day cruise, seeing that it was only once on our transatlantic with 9 sea days! Generally, your waiter will remind you about it at dinner the evening before the event. ENJOY (and don't forget to take your camera with you -- best shots are usually from the grand stairway!) :D

Sorry LovesVaca -- I missed your posting -- started writing and was then called away from the computer, didn't mean to repeat what you said.

Edited by TenerifeSharon

The small versions are your basic gin or vodka martinis as well as cosmos made with bar level ingredients or name call liquors such as Absolute & Stoli vodka or Beefeater & Tangueray gin. The premium package gets you upgraded liquors such as Ketel One, Belvedere or Grey Goose vodka as well as Bombay Sapphire gin. The premium package also gets you the larger martinis at the martini bar, the majority of which are 10 dollars. There are about 20 different various concoctions and not all of them contain gin or vodka.

I would wait until you get on board to peruse your different choices at both the martini bar as well as the molecular bar and see if the choices are appealing. It will only cost you 11.50 per day to upgrade since you got the classic package as part of the 123 or pick your perk promotions. You also get fancier bottled waters and fancier coffees with the premium package as well as the raised limits to 12 for alcoholic drinks instead of 5 for beer and 8 for wine and mixed drinks.

Thanks!

In the good old days, your dining room waiter would advise you about the brunch the night before. Alas, those days are no more. Training and service are very iffy in the MDR.

So, this is how you find out about the brunch. It is listed in the Daily, but not in a place where any normal person would think to look for it. It's listed under the hours section for the MDR. So you need to check that every day if you want to go to the brunch. It will be on a sea day.

In the good old days, your dining room waiter would advise you about the brunch the night before. Alas, those days are no more. Training and service are very iffy in the MDR.

So, this is how you find out about the brunch. It is listed in the Daily, but not in a place where any normal person would think to look for it. It's listed under the hours section for the MDR. So you need to check that every day if you want to go to the brunch. It will be on a sea day.

Thank you Linda ... not sure how this will look coming from the phone. I did call Celebrity after the Summit re the very inconsistent to poor MDR service. Our wait staff gave no info re the next days meals.

OK, I haven't read the other thread - what is this brunch, and why would I want to bring a camera? Is it in the MDR or elsewhere? What's so wonderful about it?

OK, I haven't read the other thread - what is this brunch, and why would I want to bring a camera? Is it in the MDR or elsewhere? What's so wonderful about it?

Yes, it is in the MDR, and the pictures of the "spread" and the ice sculptures etc. etc. are worthy of a place in your photo album. :D And if you should want to take any pictures, it makes sense to do so before the onslaught of "starving" passengers attack everything and decimate the beautiful arrangements.

Check out the link below to a thread that has great pics of the brunch. Edit....check out post 3, picture one, background.....white chocolate fountain.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1611134

Edited by SNJCruisers

When we sailed on Equinox in Aug 2011 we had lunch in the Spa Cafe on embarkation day. It was very peaceful and not crowded. I had read about that "secret" here on CC and my travel companions were very impressed with my knowledge:). Can you still do that?

When we sailed on Equinox in Aug 2011 we had lunch in the Spa Cafe on embarkation day. It was very peaceful and not crowded. I had read about that "secret" here on CC and my travel companions were very impressed with my knowledge:). Can you still do that?

Yes, it is open as is Bistro on Five as an alternative eating venue to avoid the opening day buffet crowds, but it has been verified on another thread that they no longer offer cooked to order salmon and tuna at the Aqua Spa Cafe. I was looking forward to some nice ahi tuna for lunch, so I guess I will just have to settle for when it's offered in the MDR.

This is a tip rather than a secret. I always take clorox wipes to wipe down surfaces in our stateroom when we arrive and then usually about midway through the cruise.

Also, I always take a travel mug for Hubby and myself so we can have hot or cold drinks with us throughout the day.

I've cruised on Celebrity with my children four times. The most recent was a couple weeks ago in May on the Equinox.

I never noticed anything very interesting on the children's menu – just the normal stuff like macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, hamburgers and cheeseburgers. But the hotdog at the mast grill is delicious! It's an all beef hot dog. We went up there too many times to count. That's my secret tip!

There were a little sandwiches at Café Bacio during our May Equinox cruise! :)

Thanks for responding to my question. :)

It is listed in the Daily, but not in a place where any normal person would think to look for it.

Linda,

I guess that is why I have never had a problem finding out about the brunch. ;)

I'll give away one secret, but promise me that you will tell no one!:D

When embarking early in the aftenoon when the staterooms are not quite ready, do not go with the hordes of passengers to the overly crowded and insanely loud Buffet for lunch.

We typically go to Aqua Spa Cafe, which is always open during embarkation and rarely busy. Much more relaxing IMO.

Again, keep it a SECRET, or else it will not be one anymore.

Others have suggested the Bistro (Crepe place)

Linda,

I guess that is why I have never had a problem finding out about the brunch. ;)

Too funny Ed, but really, how many people read the hours of the restaurants section every day? Not many, would be my guess. I know I never did until I learned that announcements of things like the brunch were cleverly concealed there. And on this cruise I was able to have breakfast in Blu and I knew their hours varied when it was a port day, so I did check that out.

Too funny Ed, but really, how many people read the hours of the restaurants section every day? Not many, would be my guess. I know I never did until I learned that announcements of things like the brunch were cleverly concealed there. And on this cruise I was able to have breakfast in Blu and I knew their hours varied when it was a port day, so I did check that out.

Actually, it's usually the first thing I read. Do you think that could have anything to do with the substantial amounts of weight I can gain in the space of a one week cruise. :o