Has Princess abandoned Brooklyn

MarvKirsch

We really enjoyed sailing out of NY especially when the Crown came into service and did that quite a bit.

The market changes all the time. Look at Galveston, Princess was there for a time a few years ago then they left. Now they are back but changing to the Port of Houston.

They go where the money is.

Is it my imagination or has Princess abandoned the Brooklyn Port? Looking at 2013 there are only 7 day cruises, and quite frankly, not that many.

I see four 10-day cruises and one 16-day cruise that start in NYC later this year. Too early to tell if they will sail from Manhattan or Brooklyn.

These are in addition to the six 7-day cruises from there.

We really enjoyed sailing out of NY especially when the Crown came into service and did that quite a bit.

The market changes all the time. Look at Galveston, Princess was there for a time a few years ago then they left. Now they are back but changing to the Port of Houston.

They go where the money is.

The terminal authority must have given Princess and Norwegian a one time good deal $$ to relocate to the Bayport terminal. Why else would they agree to sail about 30 miles further up and back down the ship channel?

It is right purty:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Bay+Port+Terminal+pictures&qpvt=Bay+Port+Terminal+pictures&FORM=IGRE

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=txhou

Bayport Terminal

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The facilities at Bayport include a cruise ship terminal, built at a cost of US$81 million.[3] The terminal briefly saw use for cruises following Hurricane Ike when ships were re-routed from the damaged Port of Galveston to Bayport for nearly two months. Bayport Cruise Terminal will become port of call for both Princess Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line in 2013-2014.

The terminal authority must have given Princess and Norwegian a one time good deal $$ to relocate to the Bayport terminal. Why else would they agree to sail about 30 miles further up and back down the ship channel?

They did. Princess gets a payment of about $600,000 and will not get charged any fees when docking there. NCL, with a multi-year agreement, gets millions of $$.

Edited by caribill

I see four 10-day cruises and one 16-day cruise that start in NYC later this year. Too early to tell if they will sail from Manhattan or Brooklyn.

These are in addition to the six 7-day cruises from there.

I believe those are repositioning cruises.

As others have said, Princess needs to follow the money to stay viable. However, we would love it if there were sailings from New York (either Manhattan or Brooklyn), Bayonne, or Baltimore. It's so great to be able to drive to the port:D. We have sailed Princess from Brooklyn and really enjoyed it!

Our 10 day cruise Sept 26th "says" Brooklyn to Quebec City.

Is that the Emerald? I will be arriving on the Emerald all the way from Copenhagen on a TA. Our Itinerary says Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Below is copied from Princess.Com

Thu 09/26/13

New York City (manhattan Or Brooklyn), New York

I just recommend you check with Princess very close to sailing time. I once had a ship (Ocean Princess) move from one Sydney port to the other and we were never notified. I happened to notice that the ship was not there at the spot it should have been in in the main Quay in the morning when I walked down expecting to see her.

New York can't be that bad a port if Breakaway and Quantum are homeporting there. I have been very happy with Brooklyn and New York. HAL pulled out last year. What's left is Cunard out of Red Hook, Carnival and NCL on the West Side and RCI and Celebrity in Bayonne with a smattering of others throughout the year distributed among the ports.

In Fall 2013, the Caribbean Princess arrives in Brooklyn on Saturday, 9/14, and is doing 7 day cruises to Canada/New England round trip from Brooklyn befoer repositioning to Houston on 10/26.

The Emerald Primcess arrives in Brooklyn on Thursday, 9/26, and is doing three 10 day cruises one way to/from Brooklyn to/from Quebec City then repositioning to Florida from Quebec. These two ships have done these routes for the past few years.

In 2014, the Caribbean will be Florida in the fall and the Emerald in Europe repositioning to Fort Lauderdale in October. So it doesn't look like either of those will be doing fall cruises from the NY area next year.

However, the Ruby arrives in NYC on Monday, 9/22/14 and the Royal arrives on Saturday, 9/27/14. No further cruises are shown for either ship yet.

I speculate (because that's what these boards are good for) that these 2 ships will be doing the fall cruises out of NYC next year. Based on the days of the week that the ships arrive in NY, I think the Ruby will be doing the 10 day one way to Quebec and the Royal wil be doing the 7 day round trips.

I won my bet yesterday that RCI's Quantum would be coming to Cape Liberty, so I'm hoping to get lucky with the Royal Princess for next year.

However, the Ruby arrives in NYC on Monday, 9/22/14 and the Royal arrives on Saturday, 9/27/14. No further cruises are shown for either ship yet.

I speculate (because that's what these boards are good for) that these 2 ships will be doing the fall cruises out of NYC next year. Based on the days of the week that the ships arrive in NY, I think the Ruby will be doing the 10 day one way to Quebec and the Royal wil be doing the 7 day round trips.

I hope you are correct about that. Its good to hear. Too bad its just for the canada cruises though. I was also disappointed when they discontinued the southern cruises from new york.

In Fall 2013, the Caribbean Princess arrives in Brooklyn on Saturday, 9/14, and is doing 7 day cruises to Canada/New England round trip from Brooklyn befoer repositioning to Houston on 10/26.

The Emerald Primcess arrives in Brooklyn on Thursday, 9/26, and is doing three 10 day cruises one way to/from Brooklyn to/from Quebec City then repositioning to Florida from Quebec. These two ships have done these routes for the past few years.

In 2014, the Caribbean will be Florida in the fall and the Emerald in Europe repositioning to Fort Lauderdale in October. So it doesn't look like either of those will be doing fall cruises from the NY area next year.

I won my bet yesterday that RCI's Quantum would be coming to Cape Liberty, so I'm hoping to get lucky with the Royal Princess for next year.

Oh wow! I will be able to sail on the Royal without getting on a plane! And I'll finally sail on a Princess ship that isn't the CB (although I love her). Very exciting. I may have to book this when I'm onboard the CB in October.

I came to the same conclusion with the Ruby and the Royal also. Be still my heart if the Royal is doing the 7 day, because I will be on it. Loved that itinerary when I sailed on the CB 2 yrs ago.

Also a little more info, Shogun mentioned the itineraries should be out around May 21st.

While I would love to sail out of the Manhattan terminal, I have heard it is a mess getting off the ship. Can't imagine what it will be like going on the Breakaway(will have info as a friend is sailing on the inagural Bermuda trip). It was pretty easy on/off over in Brooklyn, but we did have to contend with a street fair the day we sailed.

Edited by Twinkstarr

My Cruise Personalizer says:

"09/14/13 New York City (Manhattan Or Brooklyn), New York"

The "New York Cruise" schedule web site has my ship, Carribean Princess, at the Brooklyn terminal on Sept 14.

http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

My Cruise Personalizer says:

"09/14/13 New York City (Manhattan Or Brooklyn), New York"

The "New York Cruise" schedule web site has my ship, Carribean Princess, at the Brooklyn terminal on Sept 14.

http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

I don't know why Princess lists both, we sailed out of Brooklyn 2 yrs ago. Only time I remember the CB going into Manhattan was last yr due to Sandy damage at Brooklyn.

I don't know why Princess lists both, we sailed out of Brooklyn 2 yrs ago. Only time I remember the CB going into Manhattan was last yr due to Sandy damage at Brooklyn.

I also don't know why they put that, unless they think it's necessary in order to keep their options open. I've sailed from both Manhattan and Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is sooooo much easier (once you find it).

That being said, 2 years ago we outran Irene to get back to Brooklyn and last year I was on the "Sandy cruise" - both the Bermuda 4 day and following repo to Ft. Lauderdale. If I hadn't been booked on the repo, I probably would have driven myself to Brooklyn and left my car for the 4 days. I would have come back to no car. The parking lot is safe, but is prone to flooding, and with Sandy, the storm surge did amazing damage.

Why am I sailing on another fall cruise after the last 2? Heck it can't happen 3 times. Right? Plus I had the best cruise ever last year.

Maureen

We have sailed 4 times from Brooklyn and the ships always sailed full. We also paid a premium price! If the other cruise lines can sail from NYC and Bayonne on a regular basis, not sure why Princess can't? Since I hate the hassle of flying, looks like the other cruise lines will get our business:)

I also don't know why they put that, unless they think it's necessary in order to keep their options open. I've sailed from both Manhattan and Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is sooooo much easier (once you find it).

That being said, 2 years ago we outran Irene to get back to Brooklyn and last year I was on the "Sandy cruise" - both the Bermuda 4 day and following repo to Ft. Lauderdale. If I hadn't been booked on the repo, I probably would have driven myself to Brooklyn and left my car for the 4 days. I would have come back to no car. The parking lot is safe, but is prone to flooding, and with Sandy, the storm surge did amazing damage.

Why am I sailing on another fall cruise after the last 2? Heck it can't happen 3 times. Right? Plus I had the best cruise ever last year.

Maureen

I was on the CB 3 weeks after your Irene cruise. Heard all about it from a few of the crew members. Also remember her leaving early to try to out run Irene, saw her in the backround of a Jim Cantore report from Battery Park.

I was seriously condsidering the repo last year, but it was like 1-2 days too long to squeeze in, with a family trip to Disneyland coming up(already had the plane tickets booked for that trip).

I thought the disembarkation was very easy at Brooklyn(though had my sister who managed to get lost while I went for the bags). I have heard stories about Manhattan, have a friend on the 1st Breakaway sailing. She said it is very congested getting off one of NCL's Jewel class ships. Will be waiting for a report when she gets back.

Edited by Twinkstarr