So Upset with Carnival right now!

misstopgun

My April 27th cruise was cancelled. I recieved an apology letter stating I would recieve a full refund for the cruise and ANY non refudable costs related to it.

I was finally fully refunded for the cruise, but not in a timely manner. The non refundable costs are a different matter.

I was supposed to cruise with 4 sisters. I rented a limo to take us from the Houston airport to Galveston and then from the ship back to the airport. Because I booked on the spot, I was given a $25 discount taking both trips to a total of $375 instead of $400. Because of the discount though, it made the contracted service non refundable. (their way of keeping you from shopping around I suppose)

Now before anyone makes any snide remarks about the mode of transport, remember it is 5 grown women. It was cost effective to take one limo as opposed to 2 taxis from Houston to Galveston.

First off, to be refunded the non refundable cost you had to contact Guestcare and send them your invoices. Then you get a auto reply saying it will take 7-10 days for them to reply. (it took 15 days by the way)

I finally recieved a response stating they regretted they could only refund $50 of the cost. (two trips, two contracts, so $100 total refund) No explaination as to how they reached the conclusion this was a fair amount or why.

My original letter of apology after the canceled cruise said they would refund all non refudable expense related to my canceled cruise. I expect them to honer that.

I am not asking for anything more than they promised. I didn't ask for the additional expense for booking a alternate cruise. I didn't ask for the additional expense of flying to FL instead of TX to take the vacation I would lose if I didn't take it the same time it was scheduled. I didn't ask for compensation for any of the time spent trying to reschedule a alternate vacation or trying to recoup my refunds for the first one.

Last but not least, my cruise that was supposed to be 5 sisters is now a cruise with myself and a friend because the sisters got frustrated with Carnival and chose not to fly to Florida. This is a substitute vacation, not the sister celebration we had planned.

I sent them invoices of both of the trips with contract stating that they were not refundable. They tell me they will only refund $50 for each trip.

Nowhere in my apology letter did it state there would be exceptions or partial refunds upon their discretion.

So here I am a diamond Carnival cruiser feeling seriously devalued and even feel that my integrity is being challenged.

I still have a $200 FCC left but I think I will just cash it in and take my original $100 investment and say bye bye to Carnival unless they have a really good explaination for all of this.

Tried to call by the way, was on hold forever, and then of course was told guest care is closed on Sunday. They would certainly be open if I wanted to spend money today. Guest care? Really?

Sorry, but even 5 grown women could have rented a car or used Carnival's transportation....

reimbursement of a $400 limo is unreasonable request.

I would suggest that you simply file the balance that Carnival did not refund with your Travel Insurance.

why was it canceled? it sounds like you were using a TA, did they cancel it or did Carnival? why are you not asking them for further compensation for airfare changes if you were charged these things at their negligence. I'm a little confused by your post because you simply seem okay with being walked on despite being an experienced cruiser... what are you not telling us?

why was it canceled? it sounds like you were using a TA, did they cancel it or did Carnival? why are you not asking them for further compensation for airfare changes if you were charged these things at their negligence. I'm a little confused by your post because you simply seem okay with being walked on despite being an experienced cruiser... what are you not telling us?

Since she says the cruise was out of Galveston, my guess it was supposed to be the Triumph.

Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction, OP. Not sure what happened there. If they said they'd refund ALL costs, no restrictions, then they should at least be able to explain why they're only giving back $50.

Sorry, but even 5 grown women could have rented a car or used Carnival's transportation....

I would suggest that you simply file the balance that Carnival did not refund with your Travel Insurance.

But....if it was was booked and is now an "non-refundable cost" that can be documented then it should be reimbursed.

Not if they said ALL non-refundable expenses would be reimbursed. Maybe Carnival should have put a dollar limit on it, perhaps in various categories (ie - ground transport to cruise) rather than a blanket statement. If they did make a blanket statement, Carnival should pay what they said they would.

If the OP received a letter that ALL non refundable expenses would be refunded anddidnot place a cap on the amount then Carnival needs to make good on this.

OP, stay on Carnival and ignore the John Heald pep squad that are posting in defense of Carnival.

I have to disagree. Keep in mind that was $375 total for 5 people. That's only $75 per person.

To the OP- definitely call once they are open tomorrow. If they are unable to help you maybe each of your sisters could submit a request individually? Maybe they are only reimbursing you for a single person rather than the group?

~Katy

But....if it was was booked and is now an "non-refundable cost" that can be documented then it should be reimbursed.

agree 100% and unless Carnival have a very good explanation as to why they are only offering $50 I'd be taking it further.....they should honour their statement and keep customer's happy and likely to cruise with them again rather than annoy the hell out of them and make them look elsewhere

It's obvious she is not trying to take Carnival for a ride. They cancelled her cruise, which is just a bad situation for both sides involved. Everybody knows how disappointed you would be. She just wants what's fair. Everyone's plans changed and now the vacation is in a shambles. We all know the effort put into booking a cruise, and buying plane fare that can't be refunded, etc. If she has documentation, and Carnival stated they would pay, that is all she is asking them to do. It's unfortunate for Carnival to be in this position yes, but maybe they should have been handling their business better all along, and all these fiasco's wouldn't have happened. I love Carnival, don't get me wrong, but stand by your word.

If the OP received a letter that ALL non refundable expenses would be refunded anddidnot place a cap on the amount then Carnival needs to make good on this.

OP, stay on Carnival and ignore the John Heald pep squad that are posting in defense of Carnival.

I have to disagree. Keep in mind that was $375 total for 5 people. That's only $75 per person.

To the OP- definitely call once they are open tomorrow. If they are unable to help you maybe each of your sisters could submit a request individually? Maybe they are only reimbursing you for a single person rather than the group?

~Katy

OP, I totally agree with the above two posters. There is absolutely nothing unreasonable with your claim. Carnival stated they'd refund you and they haven't followed through. Keep calling.

Good luck.

Do your research, and if your interpretation still seems to be accurate (if you didn't miss any small print disclaimers anywhere), then fight like hell.

It is amazing how effective persistence can be in a situation like this, and I personally enjoy a good fight. I suspect that many, many people I've been in conflicts with, in cases like this, hate my guts. That only adds to the pleasure of having won the fight.

Actually its not unreasonable. For one thing, the rental car places in Galveston are not open on Sunday.

Galveston is one of the most expensive ports to fly into because of the cost to get from the airport to the port.

I dont know how many times you have done it.. but that cost is not unreasonable. I know a solo guy who paid $100 each way and thought he got a great deal.

Maybe Carnival away in Miami is like you and not aware of the costs to get to the port from the airport.

OP I know someone who had to fight like heck to get SWs flights remimbursed.. they finally got 100% of the cost of the flights, even though at first Carnival said that the credit was good for one year, so the answer was no. Go up the ladder. I would not accept no for a answer on this.

I live in Texas, so maybe thats why Im more aware of the cost of getting from the airport to the port.. I cruised a lot out of Galveston. I heard people complain about the cost to get to the port from the airport and hear what they had to pay.

OP I know someone who had to fight like heck to get SWs flights remimbursed.. they finally got 100% of the cost of the flights, even though at first Carnival said that the credit was good for one year, so the answer was no. Go up the ladder. I would not accept no for a answer on this.

Dead on.

Whats even more annoying about things like this is that Carnival will have had insurance to cover their loss and any claims submitted by passengers or those like the OP will be covered by their insurance (subject to their excess or deductable as you call it in US). I can see no reason why Carnival are scrimping on the settlement to their customers, they may regret making such an open statement, but tough they made it and it's public record so they now need to honour it......

Carnival will not be out of pocket for the Triumph disaster.....they will be covered, it's the poor passengers and those who got their cruises cancelled that are being treated like 2nd class citizens in this instance.

My April 27th cruise was cancelled. I recieved an apology letter stating I would recieve a full refund for the cruise and ANY non refudable costs related to it.

I was finally fully refunded for the cruise, but not in a timely manner. The non refundable costs are a different matter.

I was supposed to cruise with 4 sisters. I rented a limo to take us from the Houston airport to Galveston and then from the ship back to the airport. Because I booked on the spot, I was given a $25 discount taking both trips to a total of $375 instead of $400. Because of the discount though, it made the contracted service non refundable. (their way of keeping you from shopping around I suppose)

Now before anyone makes any snide remarks about the mode of transport, remember it is 5 grown women. It was cost effective to take one limo as opposed to 2 taxis from Houston to Galveston.

First off, to be refunded the non refundable cost you had to contact Guestcare and send them your invoices. Then you get a auto reply saying it will take 7-10 days for them to reply. (it took 15 days by the way)

I finally recieved a response stating they regretted they could only refund $50 of the cost. (two trips, two contracts, so $100 total refund) No explaination as to how they reached the conclusion this was a fair amount or why.

My original letter of apology after the canceled cruise said they would refund all non refudable expense related to my canceled cruise. I expect them to honer that.

I am not asking for anything more than they promised. I didn't ask for the additional expense for booking a alternate cruise. I didn't ask for the additional expense of flying to FL instead of TX to take the vacation I would lose if I didn't take it the same time it was scheduled. I didn't ask for compensation for any of the time spent trying to reschedule a alternate vacation or trying to recoup my refunds for the first one.

Last but not least, my cruise that was supposed to be 5 sisters is now a cruise with myself and a friend because the sisters got frustrated with Carnival and chose not to fly to Florida. This is a substitute vacation, not the sister celebration we had planned.

I sent them invoices of both of the trips with contract stating that they were not refundable. They tell me they will only refund $50 for each trip.

Nowhere in my apology letter did it state there would be exceptions or partial refunds upon their discretion.

So here I am a diamond Carnival cruiser feeling seriously devalued and even feel that my integrity is being challenged.

I still have a $200 FCC left but I think I will just cash it in and take my original $100 investment and say bye bye to Carnival unless they have a really good explaination for all of this.

Tried to call by the way, was on hold forever, and then of course was told guest care is closed on Sunday. They would certainly be open if I wanted to spend money today. Guest care? Really?

Looking at your limo contract (s) - does it give the specific nonrefundable dollar amount spelled out? IF it's clearly stated, get on the phone Mon am and please document date, name etc of people you speak with.

And for anyone who even questions her mode of transportation, that's really NOT your concern. Honestly, some people on this board are so rude and immature ... and then they wonder why Carnival has a certain reputation.

Anyway, sorry you're having such a problem and no longer able to do a sister cruise. And on a side note - I am not a long time carnival cruiser, but IF they are at all interested in retention of guests they really need to step it up for their diamond (and plat) guests.

Why is your opinion regarding their preferred mode of travel relevant? The issue is that Carnival failed to keep their promise to refund all non-refundable costs incurred as a result of Carnival canceling their cruise. Whether or not you agree that that renting a limo was necessary is irrelevant and argumentative. Nice attempt to try to distract attention away from the real issue. :rolleyes:

I disagree for three reasons.

1) It is NO ONE's business how these ladies choose to travel. If they choose to travel by scooter, bus, plane, limo, or piggy back, if they can afford it, that is their choice. This was a special event, they chose to make it more special, GOOD FOR THEM.

2) If Carnival said they were going to reimburse nonrefundable costs, it does not matter if these ladies had paid $1,500 to take a helicopter to the terminal - they paid the money in good faith, they are now out the money due to no negligence of their own, Carnival said they would reimburse them, it should be done. They did not say, "if we agree with the amount" or "we like how you are traveling." That's just silly.

3) This is a Carnival issue, not a travel insurance issue.

I don't think the OP is being walked on or is withholding information. It sounds as though she is attempting to be fair. Yes, she is now out airline tickets for the new trip, however, it is now her choice (to a certain degree), therefore, she may feel she cannot justify asking for reimbursement - or at least that is how I would feel.

OP: I wonder if Carnival could have read your statement wrong, and mistook the $25 discount as the charge? Please continue to pursue this until you are satisfied.

OP: I wonder if Carnival could have read your statement wrong' date=' and mistook the $25 discount as the charge? Please continue to pursue this until you are satisfied.[/quote']

I wonder if you have something here.. they simply did not read it correct .. it makes no sense to think $50 is reasonable.

I am sure if 5 women booked the Carnival shuttle, its more than $50 round trip, id guess close to $400 round trip for the 5 of them.

something makes no sense, You cant get there for $50 round trip. I dont think one way you can find a way there for $50. Thats why people dont like flying in to Houston for this port.

Transfers on Carnival for 5 would cost $350 to Hobby and $450 to IAH. $375 is far from unreasonable, and getting back $100 is insulting. I am a laid back person, but I would be screaming over that one too.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. It is difficult to think straight when upset.

The cruise was the Carnival Triumph for the end of this month. I booked through My Carnival PVP.

The cruise, airfare, and transport were all paid in full before I took my last cruise in February on the Legend. On that cruise, we went to assist the Triumph when she was dead in the water.

When we returned from the cruise, I called my PVP and asked her if she thought we should transfer the cruise in case the Triumph would not be ready in time for the April cruise. She assured me that because the ship was due to sail on April 16th, there should be no worries so we kept the cruise as it was only to learn two weeks later that it was going to be out until sometime in June.

Even though the cruise was paid for it was still a couple of days before final payment so the window to stick with the cruise and risk it or chose another was pretty slim. After final payment date, I had to keep the plan because it they had sailed, (and I felt confident they would by what I had been told) I would have lost money.

We scrambled trying to find something else in the same time frame because two of us had non negotiable vacation dates and found nothing out of TX and the only thing Carnival was out of FL going to the Bahamas which most of us didn't want to do. My sisters got frustrated and backed out of the trip all together.

I didn't want to sit home for my vacation so I booked a cruise on Royal Caribean going to Key West and Cozumel. Later a friend agreed to join me. I don't hold Carnival responsible for any of those expenses. I chose to go on vacation on a different line to a port farther away.

The cancelation apology letter I got from Carnival said any non refundable expenses relating to my cruise would be refunded as well as the full cost of the cruise. It said the cruise would be refunded within two weeks. It took longer than that but it was refunded non the less.

Then I was told by Mischell on Carnival FB that any additional non refundable expenses had to be submitted seperatly through Guestcare. I emailed the two limo contracts to them as directed. Both stated that they were non refundable. I got the auto reply that said it would take 7-10 days for someone to reply to me.

After 15 days I get a reply from a guest service specialist saying after review, regretably they can only refund $50 of the expense. (two trips, two contracts, so a total of $100) They gave no explaination as to why it was decided to refund me only a partial of my non refundable expense, or what was considered in the "review".

My original apology letter stated all non refundable expenses would be refunded. It didn't say "unless we determine your mode of transport extravegant and unnecessary." It didn't state "except for in the case of...."

I have even defended Carnival on this board and on FB when people complained about not being refunded airline tickets that were transferable. Sure they could use it at a later date but they were still out of pocket the cost of the fares and had no vacation to show for it. I understand that though because there is no way for Carnival to monitor if they did use their flights at a later date. Double dipping isn't fair to Carnival either.

LHP, your comment was uncalled for. I shopped around. A rental car was not convienient. Two taxis were more expensive than a limo and only $5 more PP than a shuttle, and to be honest, it shouldn't make a difference. If I chose to rent a gold plated lear jet and it was non refundable it should still be reimbursed. I didn't cancel the cruise, Carnival did. This was to be a sister's celebration cruise celebrating coming together from three different states so even if some might think a limo was extravegant, I think it was appropriate for the occaision.

Taking limos to a cruise ship is not unheard of. I have done it many times, sometimes to enhance the experience of those traveling with us, sometimes because if traveling an hour or more from airport to ship port such as Houston to Galveston or Fort Lauderdale to Miami, it isn't much more expensive than a cost of a taxi.

It isn't as much the $275 I am out as it is the principle. They canceled the cruise. I have spent valuable time booking the first cruise, then the second, as well as time spent trying to recoup my refunds. I have incurred additional expense as well by booking a more expensive line in a farther port. That was by choice so once again, I am not holding Carnival responsible, even though their cancellation was why I made the choices. It was either that or sit home. No thanks.

It doesn't matter how unreasonable you think their transportation was. Carnival said all non refundable expenses would be covered and they should honor that. It's poor business that they won't even stand by what they say they will do.

What is unreasonable is that you think it is ok for carnival to back out of what they say they will do. I promise no matter how hard you want to ignore it, sometimes carnival is wrong.

Archived