So Upset with Carnival right now!

misstopgun

Transfers on Carnival for 5 would cost $350 to Hobby and $450 to IAH. $375 is far from unreasonable, and getting back $100 is insulting. I am a laid back person, but I would be screaming over that one too.

Thats about my estimate.. had they signed up for carnival shuttles it would have cost about the same as this limo.... $50 is crazy.

OP I think Carnival must have miss read something.. I would call someone and speak with them. It makes no sense.

Its kind of like sending me a letter saying "you need a minimum of 100 shares to get OBC, so we are denying you because you have 700 shares" .. someone is new or they miss-read something.

call them tomorrow .. this should not be something that you cant get resolved.. explain to them even their own shuttle costs about the same amount.. this has to be a mistake.

My April 27th cruise was cancelled. I recieved an apology letter stating I would recieve a full refund for the cruise and ANY non refudable costs related to it.

I was finally fully refunded for the cruise, but not in a timely manner. The non refundable costs are a different matter.

I was supposed to cruise with 4 sisters. I rented a limo to take us from the Houston airport to Galveston and then from the ship back to the airport. Because I booked on the spot, I was given a $25 discount taking both trips to a total of $375 instead of $400. Because of the discount though, it made the contracted service non refundable. (their way of keeping you from shopping around I suppose)

Now before anyone makes any snide remarks about the mode of transport, remember it is 5 grown women. It was cost effective to take one limo as opposed to 2 taxis from Houston to Galveston.

First off, to be refunded the non refundable cost you had to contact Guestcare and send them your invoices. Then you get a auto reply saying it will take 7-10 days for them to reply. (it took 15 days by the way)

I finally recieved a response stating they regretted they could only refund $50 of the cost. (two trips, two contracts, so $100 total refund) No explaination as to how they reached the conclusion this was a fair amount or why.

My original letter of apology after the canceled cruise said they would refund all non refudable expense related to my canceled cruise. I expect them to honer that.

I am not asking for anything more than they promised. I didn't ask for the additional expense for booking a alternate cruise. I didn't ask for the additional expense of flying to FL instead of TX to take the vacation I would lose if I didn't take it the same time it was scheduled. I didn't ask for compensation for any of the time spent trying to reschedule a alternate vacation or trying to recoup my refunds for the first one.

Last but not least, my cruise that was supposed to be 5 sisters is now a cruise with myself and a friend because the sisters got frustrated with Carnival and chose not to fly to Florida. This is a substitute vacation, not the sister celebration we had planned.

I sent them invoices of both of the trips with contract stating that they were not refundable. They tell me they will only refund $50 for each trip.

Nowhere in my apology letter did it state there would be exceptions or partial refunds upon their discretion.

So here I am a diamond Carnival cruiser feeling seriously devalued and even feel that my integrity is being challenged.

I still have a $200 FCC left but I think I will just cash it in and take my original $100 investment and say bye bye to Carnival unless they have a really good explaination for all of this.

Tried to call by the way, was on hold forever, and then of course was told guest care is closed on Sunday. They would certainly be open if I wanted to spend money today. Guest care? Really?

Did you have cruise insurance and are any of the charges eligible for reinbursement by the insurance company? As some one else advised, I would think you could apply for reimbursement only for yourself and your sisters would have to submit their own requests. Finally, did you pursue this matter with higher management?

OP ,no surprises here , I will say I'm sorry your going through this and I'm sure you have heard that enough . As a matter of fact I'm expecting and waiting , reading what others post with the same or similar problems.

Carnival toots a good horn ,but when it's time to clear the air, quite a few people will fall through the cracks........

Did you have cruise insurance and are any of the charges eligible for reinbursement by the insurance company? As some one else advised, I would think you could apply for reimbursement only for yourself and your sisters would have to submit their own requests. Finally, did you pursue this matter with higher management?

and I would think whomever's credit card the charges are on, is the only one who can apply for nonrefundable costs.. as the other sisters probably did not each pay separately.

said as someone who did disputes for a credit card company.

No matter how you slice this. $50 for a $375 limo charge is not reasonable. I still think Carnival had to have made a mistake that needs to be following up. Maybe contact your PVP, I would call mine in the morning.

I know that you cant go to Galveston for $50 .. so therefore, there has to be a misunderstanding, a newbie rep at Carnival .. some explanation. These people defending Carnival to me sound foolish.

i would bet there is alot of fine print that explains this all. Most people only hear the bold print that carnival will refund any non-refundable charges when this most likely isn't the case. does anyone know what their actual policy on this is? what does the fine print state?

I have even defended Carnival on this board and on FB when people complained about not being refunded airline tickets that were transferable.

Misstopgun:

I, as well, defend Carnival when appropriate. When I feel it is justified, I do so, but when I feel it is not, I do not. In this case, there is no reason to justify Carnival. In this case, they are in the wrong.

Based on the information you provided, you have been not only fair, but incredibly reasonable.

You do not owe anyone, much less strangers on a message board, explanations or apologies. Some might say, "but she came here..." Yes, you did. But that doesn't mean you have to explain or defend yourself. You shared your story, and as you can see, the majority of people support you.

Continue to work with guest care, and as you used a PVP, work with your PVP, as well, to obtain your refund. Not only is it owed, it is a very reasonable request, especially considering the other expenses you are now out, which you have not requested. Best of luck to you!

Looking at your limo contract (s) - does it give the specific nonrefundable dollar amount spelled out? IF it's clearly stated, get on the phone Mon am and please document date, name etc of people you speak with.

And for anyone who even questions her mode of transportation, that's really NOT your concern. Honestly, some people on this board are so rude and immature ... and then they wonder why Carnival has a certain reputation.

Anyway, sorry you're having such a problem and no longer able to do a sister cruise. And on a side note - I am not a long time carnival cruiser, but IF they are at all interested in retention of guests they really need to step it up for their diamond (and plat) guests.

I agree with Cocoa Mom. It shouldn't matter if they chose to hire camels to take them to the port. If they paid up front and the fare is non-refundable, Carnival should reimburse them in full. I would think it was reasonable though that Carnival only refunds the per person cost to each individual. Carnival has to assume that each person in your party was paying their share of the fare.

I would call them back tomorrow when they are open and ask for an explanation. If the explanation isn't reasonable, elevate your request by asking to speak with a supervisor.

I am very sorry to hear of your dilemma, and hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction.

i would bet there is alot of fine print that explains this all. Most people only hear the bold print that carnival will refund any non-refundable charges when this most likely isn't the case.

So how much do you want to bet about this? Ill take that bet.

This comment says it all from the OP,

I recieved an apology letter stating I would recieve a full refund for the cruise and ANY non refudable costs related to it.

I would think with any logic that the OP shouldn't have to pursue any further. Now that would be good customer relations

Sorry, but even 5 grown women could have rented a car or used Carnival's transportation....

reimbursement of a $400 limo is unreasonable request.

I would suggest that you simply file the balance that Carnival did not refund with your Travel Insurance.

What gives you the right to deem things reasonable or unreasonable. Are you Carnival? If I remember right Carnival never said they would only reimburse reasonable expenses. Grow up and quit calling people unreasonable, it gets old after a while.

Thanks everyone if you supported me or not for letting me vent. You saved my husbands day.

It could be that they think each would want reimbursed, but the copy of the contracts I sent shows one payment, one credit card, and my name only on the contacts. it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Who should be reimbursed. Someone just probably skimmed the paperwork and reach a conclusion without paying attention to detail.

I will continue to persue it and I will get my refund or else. I just resent that I should have to. This vacation experience has been a nightmare. I know that everything is not in Carnival's control, but the things that are should be handled with a lot more professionalism. I shouldn't have to beg, argue my case, and feel like they are doing me a favor just to get back what was lost when a promise is made to me in print, and worse yet, in the media to save face.

You know what I think? I think Carnival management should take lessons from their staff on the ships for anything customer service related. They could sure learn what customer service should be from all those hard working waiters, room stewards, buffet workers and cooks.

They serve you well and they do it with a smile. That is why I love Carnival.

Last but not least, my cruise that was supposed to be 5 sisters is now a cruise with myself and a friend because the sisters got frustrated with Carnival and chose not to fly to Florida.

I'm sure this entire situation is frustrating and aggravating, but I'm curious.

If this was supposed to be a 5 sister vacation, couldn't all of you come up with an alternative, non-cruise vacation if spending time together was the most important thing? Just curious why you still went on a cruise with a friend instead...

Sorry, but even 5 grown women could have rented a car or used Carnival's transportation....

Carnival sticks the US Taxpayers with a $4+ Million dollar charge for USCG rescues, but STIFFS its paying customers for $400 of transportation for a party of five.

Then the cheerleaders like LHP comes out and defend the almighty Carnival.

Frankly, I would talk to my travel ins company. I'd let them know what CCL said. I'd fax the letter directly to them. I'd tell them that if CCL reneges on their original offer of full refund, you'll be filing a claim. I'd also let them know that you feel as if you shouldn't have to file an Ins claim as CCL said all non-refundable costs would be refunded.

Bet the ins won't want to pay anything they shouldn't have to and CCL will hear from them.

My April 27th cruise was cancelled. I recieved an apology letter stating I would recieve a full refund for the cruise and ANY non refudable costs related to it.

I was finally fully refunded for the cruise, but not in a timely manner. The non refundable costs are a different matter.

I was supposed to cruise with 4 sisters. I rented a limo to take us from the Houston airport to Galveston and then from the ship back to the airport. Because I booked on the spot, I was given a $25 discount taking both trips to a total of $375 instead of $400. Because of the discount though, it made the contracted service non refundable. (their way of keeping you from shopping around I suppose)

Now before anyone makes any snide remarks about the mode of transport, remember it is 5 grown women. It was cost effective to take one limo as opposed to 2 taxis from Houston to Galveston.

First off, to be refunded the non refundable cost you had to contact Guestcare and send them your invoices. Then you get a auto reply saying it will take 7-10 days for them to reply. (it took 15 days by the way)

I finally recieved a response stating they regretted they could only refund $50 of the cost. (two trips, two contracts, so $100 total refund) No explaination as to how they reached the conclusion this was a fair amount or why.

My original letter of apology after the canceled cruise said they would refund all non refudable expense related to my canceled cruise. I expect them to honer that.

I am not asking for anything more than they promised. I didn't ask for the additional expense for booking a alternate cruise. I didn't ask for the additional expense of flying to FL instead of TX to take the vacation I would lose if I didn't take it the same time it was scheduled. I didn't ask for compensation for any of the time spent trying to reschedule a alternate vacation or trying to recoup my refunds for the first one.

Last but not least, my cruise that was supposed to be 5 sisters is now a cruise with myself and a friend because the sisters got frustrated with Carnival and chose not to fly to Florida. This is a substitute vacation, not the sister celebration we had planned.

I sent them invoices of both of the trips with contract stating that they were not refundable. They tell me they will only refund $50 for each trip.

Nowhere in my apology letter did it state there would be exceptions or partial refunds upon their discretion.

So here I am a diamond Carnival cruiser feeling seriously devalued and even feel that my integrity is being challenged.

I still have a $200 FCC left but I think I will just cash it in and take my original $100 investment and say bye bye to Carnival unless they have a really good explaination for all of this.

Tried to call by the way, was on hold forever, and then of course was told guest care is closed on Sunday. They would certainly be open if I wanted to spend money today. Guest care? Really?

I would suggest that you simply file the balance that Carnival did not refund with your Travel Insurance.

Umm, Linda, Reading is Fundamental! Even Carnival's transportation between Houston and Galveston is $350 -to $450 for 5 people depending on which airport. The $375 request is not unreasonable!

OP - I concur with others - that more than likely a mistake by guest services has been made - hopefully that is the case (reading this Carnival??). Please let us know what ultimately happens when you contact them again. But still, you should not have had to jump through hoops and do cartwheels to get this refunded.

I'm sure this entire situation is frustrating and aggravating, but I'm curious.

If this was supposed to be a 5 sister vacation, couldn't all of you come up with an alternative, non-cruise vacation if spending time together was the most important thing? Or was taking a cruise (no matter with who) more important?

We were looking at alternatives. Alternate cruises, land vacatin in Cozumel etc. The problem was getting the very same travel schedule for an alternate plan. No one wanted just to meet up somewhere to visit. We did that in November when my father died and that is why we really wanted this different get together experience. So we could have fun and enjoy one another without the stress of the loss.

Three had never cruised before but loved to hear my sister and my travel tales.

I did find an alternate cruise with the very same dates, but it added expense. Baby sister couldn't afford any more expense so dropped out. Second sister dropped out in sympathy because baby sister couldn't go. You know how it goes.

In retrospect I probably should have paid baby sisters additional expenses but she is 38 years old and hasn't figured what she wants to do for her life. I help her as much as I can but it's a fine line between helping and enabling.

At the time I viewed vacation as a luxury earned so didn't think it was a good idea to pay her way. I hope things like that motivate her to make something of herself so she can do the things she wants to do. For the sake of the occaision though, I shouldn't have held firm this time.

Since the OP is a Diamond cruiser a call to the Diamond Desk will get a sympathetic ear. They have been very helpful in resolving issues for me in the past. And since Carnival would have charged $450 for 5 transfer from George Bush Airport, $375 is hardly unreasonable.

I agree that Carnival screwed up. But before fighting with them any more I'd at least give the Limo company a call. Often they will refund things like this when it was out of your control. For example when a hurricane delayed my cruise, Jetblue let us change our non refundable without a fee, twice.

In any case it can't hurt to just check with them. I would want Carnival to pay up also but it may not be worth fighting if you can get it back from the limo.

Frankly, I would talk to my travel ins company. I'd let them know what CCL said. I'd fax the letter directly to them. I'd tell them that if CCL reneges on their original offer of full refund, you'll be filing a claim. I'd also let them know that you feel as if you shouldn't have to file an Ins claim as CCL said all non-refundable costs would be refunded.

Bet the ins won't want to pay anything they shouldn't have to and CCL will hear from them.

I must have missed the post saying the OP had insurance?

Carnival sticks the US Taxpayers with a $4+ Million dollar charge for USCG rescues, but STIFFS its paying customers for $400 of transportation for a party of five.

Then the cheerleaders like LHP comes out and defend the almighty Carnival.

Since Carnival has never received a bill for hose services, it's kind of hard to stiff anyone.

I know, I know, I shouldn't cloud the issues with facts.

Your mode & cost of transportation should have no baring on reimbursement. How you chose to arrive & leave is your choice. I was one of the Carnival Dream 3/16/13 cancelled passengers & what I have seen is that Carnival contacts the company/agency that is responsible for the nonrefundable expense. Sometimes the hotel, airline, shuttle service etc. issues a refund even though it stated the service was nonrefundable. This happened to me with my hotel reservation for the night previous to the intended cruise. You may want to call the limo service to see.

One thing I think is not quite right is that some people had airline tickets that were refunded as vouchers by the airlines that have to be used within a certain period of time. Since they were technically refunded, Carnival could not also send a refund. I wonder if the person doesn't use the airline voucher within the allowable time as determined by the airline, could Carnival then reimburse for that airfare?

Something else you may be running into is that when I called for compensation information, I was told several different versions. As it turned out, there had been several memos sent to guest services with differing information. I recommend that you call Guest Admin. during regular business hrs. rather than Guest Services. It took a number of phone calls on part, but it was eventually worked out to my satisfaction. I sincerely wish you the best.

One thing I think is not quite right is that some people had airline tickets that were refunded as vouchers by the airlines that have to be used within a certain period of time. Since they were technically refunded, Carnival could not also send a refund. I wonder if the person doesn't use the airline voucher within the allowable time as determined by the airline, could Carnival then reimburse for that airfare?

I think I mentioned in a earlier post here.. that I saw a post from someone who pursued this and they got 100% credit from a flight that they said they could not use the credit in the next year... Carnival worked it out with SW and SW cancelled the 1 year credit they had issued to the pax.

So, the first no, turned to a yes, when pursued further.

For those asking, yes I had insurance, but this isn't something the insurance company should have to pay for in my opinion. I also don't think I should have to waste my time asking them to speak to Carnival about it. I have wasted enought time booking 2 seperate cruises and trying to contact Carnival for refunds. My time is valuable too. I've had enough, that's why I vented.

It is in John Healds' hands now as he promised me he would look into it tomorrow. I am confident when they take the time to look into it properly, they will see that they have made a mistake.

Why didn't I think about calling the diamond desk? I keep forgetting about that! Good idea if John falls through. Thanks

Archived