Note of caution if sailing into or out of Venice

Yorkshire-Pudding

Dear Cruisers,

Could I advise anyone sailing in/out of Venice to please organise your transfers to/from the airport in advance. I recently visted Venice for a 6 day land holiday. A group of US passengers ahead of us in the queue for a water taxi, were charged 300 euros (approx $390) for 4 passengers to transfer. A female member of the group looked visibly shocked but they had little choice but to pay. This was not a tout, but at an official service within the airport.

I am unsure whether the high cost was because it was a public holiday that day, but what ever the reason, this is not the city to arrive unprepared.

Another tip. If sailing or arriving into Venice, do try and get to the bow as your ship sails through the Guidecca Canal. You will be treated to the most amazing view of the Campanile and Ducal Palace. We were fortunate to observe a number of cruise ships sailing into port from our hotel room.

This a beautiful if rather expensive city and really worthy of a visit either pre or post cruise.

The water taxi is outrageous. From the Airport you can take a land taxi -- more than the bus, but you get help with your luggage, it is a fraction of the water taxi, and it will drop you at the door of the cruise terminal. I think we paid less than 100 Euro for 4 from our hotel that was near the airport. And the driver told us all about the city -- almost like a private tour.

Here is a picture to show how far we had to walk from where the taxi dropped us off to the ship [we did have to go through the terminal building to the left to check in]:

IMG_0380-1.jpg

Dear Cruisers,

Could I advise anyone sailing in/out of Venice to please organise your transfers to/from the airport in advance. I recently visted Venice for a 6 day land holiday. A group of US passengers ahead of us in the queue for a water taxi, were charged 300 euros (approx $390) for 4 passengers to transfer. A female member of the group looked visibly shocked but they had little choice but to pay. This was not a tout, but at an official service within the airport.

I am unsure whether the high cost was because it was a public holiday that day, but what ever the reason, this is not the city to arrive unprepared.

Another tip. If sailing or arriving into Venice, do try and get to the bow as your ship sails through the Guidecca Canal. You will be treated to the most amazing view of the Campanile and Ducal Palace. We were fortunate to observe a number of cruise ships sailing into port from our hotel room.

This a beautiful if rather expensive city and really worthy of a visit either pre or post cruise.

That is about right for a water taxi. They should have just joined the taxi queue at the terminal - they walked right past it to get to the water taxi dock - and could have gotten a land taxi for 40EUR. The port and Piazzelle Roma are both accessed by road so no need for a water taxi..

That is about right for a water taxi. They should have just joined the taxi queue at the terminal - they walked right past it to get to the water taxi dock - and could have gotten a land taxi for 40EUR. The port and Piazzelle Roma are both accessed by road so no need for a water taxi..

Or simply take the bus for a few Euros!

The issue appears to be that if you arrive unprepared, there are those that will part you from your money and the cost of a water taxi in advance is very different to on the spot quotes. I paid 34 euros each for my husband and I in a shared taxi with another couple (I don't know how much they paid but would guess a similar amount). Therefore the American group were charged almost 4 times as much.

My caution is aimed particularly where cruisers are also staying in Venice itself rather than on the main land (we were on Guidecca Island at the Hilton which is particularly popular with US visitors in the summer months) and access and departure to/from this hotel is only via the water.

My caution is aimed particularly where cruisers are also staying in Venice itself rather than on the main land (we were on Guidecca Island at the Hilton which is particularly popular with US visitors in the summer months) and access and departure to/from this hotel is only via the water.

You still didn't need to take a water taxi. An Alilaguna waterbus service from the airport calls at the Giudecca Hilton. The cost for the journey is 15 euros.

You could have found about the existence of this service online before you left by just googling airport and Giudecca. Venice is no different from anywhere else in the world. If you don't do your research before embarking on your travels, you're more or less certain to end up wasting money.

You still didn't need to take a water taxi. An Alilaguna waterbus service from the airport calls at the Giudecca Hilton. The cost for the journey is 15 euros.

You could have found about the existence of this service online before you left by just googling airport and Giudecca. Venice is no different from anywhere else in the world. If you don't do your research before embarking on your travels, you're more or less certain to end up wasting money.

And it is not necessarily a waste if you want the water taxi experience. As long as you know what your options are, and what you will be getting for the money, you can make an informed decision.

I agree. We plan to use a private water taxi with hostess arranged by our hotel (Danieli) from our ship to our hotel for 178 euros for 4 ppl. and then another from the hotel to the airport the next day (212 euros for 4 ppl) . We know it will be more $$ for private, but there are 4 of us, luggage and a wheelchair for MIL. Don't want to hassle with waiting for a scheduled stop(s) or a water ride to then take a taxi or bus (using Piazzale Roma) ...... get on once and then off at destination. So not a "waste"

Its all about what is right for you.

Dear Cruisers,

That it very alarming. I have been looking at past threads about water taxis on CC and on trip advisor. All the information is that the prices are fixed by the government and so should not vary. There are two websites where you can prebook and save about €10 but there are a few posters that complained that they had to endure long waits for their prebooked taxi when flights arrived early. The group you describe were obviously being completely ripped off as the published fare is in the region of €100 but it is impossible to argue this when you don't speak Italian. As we are a family of 5 staying very near to St.Marks square in a hotel with a direct taxi jetty we had decided we would blow the cost and get a private water taxi. Now I don't know whether to prebook or not. Does anyone else have experience of this especially as we will be there in the peak of the summer?

Archived