To review or not to review?

IandY

We’ve just returned from the April 6 sailing of the Summit out of San Juan . I’m in a conundrum. I realize that reviews, sometimes critical, may provide useful information to those who are in the process of selecting a cruise. I also realize that for some, perhaps counting down the days until their departure, a critical review may be somewhat discouraging. I know that after booking, I made sure to avoid any Summit reviews, I'd rather discover things for ourselves. So my question is, what’s your opinion, do you want to see a review that only shares the good stuff or do you want to know about the warts as well?

I want a "truthful and complete" review, the good the bad and the indifferent.

Saying " I will never cruise "???" again" with no details as to why is of no help it is merely a rant.

Saying only that, "????" is wonderful" is also no help.

It is also of no help if the review does not state the cat of cabin . A "Grill/Suite " passenger will obviously have a different viewpoint than someone in the lowest priced inside cabin.

You should write a review that is truthful re your own experiences, cabin, service, entertainment, whatever, then I can have a clearer idea of what to expect should I go on that ship, that area , in that cat. of cabin

That's what Cruise Critic is about. People sharing honest answers. If you just state the facts, without undue embellishment, it is of assistance to others. People who are angry and petty, didn't do their homework and then only express negativity to use this forum as a bully pulpit are the "reviews" no one wants to read. Those reviews usually say more about the individuals than the cruise line. But balanced, carefully considered reviews are of great help to those new to any cruise line.

We are new to Celebrity, having sailed exclusively with Oceania for the last few years, but the sum of the reviews we've read make us happy we booked, and we're looking forward to boarding Solstice in three weeks with realistic expectations about what she is, and is not.

I like to read the good and the bad. I find it interesting that two reviewers on the same cruise will review on opposite ends of the spectrum. One person's 5 star cruise is another person's 2 star. I read both. One cruise I took, the decor of the ship was talked about in many of the reviews - some people hated it; others didn't care; while others love it. The reader needs to determine whether someone's 'bad' will affect their travel experience. I read many and determine if i want to travel on a particular ship based on the consensus - mostly good or mostly bad!

I'll stop babbling now :o - Please tell the whole truth - it is more helpful.

Just tell it the way it is!! Always going to be some that just can't believe ones cruise was perfect. At the top one sees CRUISE REVIEWS, one can post there and I believe no 1 can reply, so don't have to worry about the haters. Then again, I don't worry about them now,lol :D Looking forward to your experience

We’ve just returned from the April 6 sailing of the Summit out of San Juan . I’m in a conundrum. I realize that reviews, sometimes critical, may provide useful information to those who are in the process of selecting a cruise. I also realize that for some, perhaps counting down the days until their departure, a critical review may be somewhat discouraging. I know that after booking, I made sure to avoid any Summit reviews, I'd rather discover things for ourselves. So my question is, what’s your opinion, do you want to see a review that only shares the good stuff or do you want to know about the warts as well?

IMO sugar coating is fine for candy, not so much for reviews.

I just love reading and hearing reviews. I'm new to cruising, having only completed one so far, on Celebrity Millennium. On that cruise, DH and I walked into the dining room the first night with stars in our eyes. We were in love with that ship! It was so much MORE than we could have ever expected! Our table mates were not so impressed. It was not as sparkly as Royal Caribbean, and the thing I'll never forget is how much the design woven into the public area carpets bothered them. For them, the carpet was the deal-breaker. It's their valid opinion based on their life experience - perfectly valid! I have to admit that I smile whenever I think about it, though.

The reviews I find most helpful are the ones that describe specific things about the ships, ports, service, etc...rather than just "I hated the MDR" or "I loved the spa." Since we don't know each other, I have no idea what appeals to you and what doesn't. Perhaps you liked the spa because the technician took the last 15 minutes of your appointment to point out the many exclusive benefits of their products. That wouldn't be of interest to me, but I would know what to expect.

I think as a forum we sometimes discourage posters from giving honest, negative reviews. If someone says "XYZ happened on my cruise, and I didn't like it" someone else is likely to respond "Well, I've been on that ship dozens of times and it never happened to me, so you must have a bad attitude!"

Please write your reviews that are positive or negative. I read them all because the negative ones will often point out areas where I might need to keep a positive attitude about or reconsider and activity. On my last cruise, there were several negative reviews prior and after my cruise. When I read the negative, I check to see the Category of the Cabin and where they booked their cruise. It is helpful to include your cruise experience, as well. I tend to be more critical of cruises that where I pay a higher price for the cruise. Usually the people who are so negative or usually booked in lower Categories or Suites.

Just took a cruise that had a lot of problems. After I came home, I read the reviews again. I should have read them carefully before I took the cruise. The reviewers were very honest.

Since most of my previous cruises have been good, I tended to not believe the negative reviews. I should have paid more attention.

At a minimum, please post your cabin review here, following the format, so it can be added to the Solstice Class cabin database:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

As for a general review, just be honest & clear. Some things will be isolated incidents, some are more general. What did you love & recommend? What would you avoid? That applies to port stops, etc.

Trust the readers to digest it as they will. If you're willing to write, I'll read & decide.

Also remember that you're adding to a broad and deep pool of reviews. There's plenty of context and you're simply helping to fill out a big picture.

Thanks!

Archived