If you are planning an April, 2014 cruise out of Rome

Richpontone

The cruise port is at Civatecchia, about 50 kilometers from Rome. I am taking a flight on April 21th for my April 23rd cruise--common CC advice about going in a day before your cruise starts. And I am going directly to the port from the flight to the port. I just now booked on Expedia--the only major online reservation service that will let you book 360 days in advance, a well regarded hotel, a room. I bagged a room at the Hotel Borgo del Mare for 124 bucks. Hotel is well regarded on tripadvisor.com. The point I am making is that there are few if any good rooms left to book at the port at this time. You might have to stay at Rome and pay a large cab fee to get to the port or chance it lugging your bags on the train. FYI-don't train it during rush hour. Be warned.

Well I would like to stay at Rome too but after a long transatlantic flight and having less than a day, I won't have the time nor energy to enjoy the "Eternal City" so that is why I am going to spend several days there, post cruise.

The cruise port is at Civatecchia, about 50 kilometers from Rome. I am taking a flight on April 21th for my April 23rd cruise--common CC advice about going in a day before your cruise starts. And I am going directly to the port from the flight to the port. I just now booked on Expedia--the only major online reservation service that will let you book 360 days in advance, a well regarded hotel, a room. I bagged a room at the Hotel Borgo del Mare for 124 bucks. Hotel is well regarded on tripadvisor.com. The point I am making is that there are few if any good rooms left to book at the port at this time. You might have to stay at Rome and pay a large cab fee to get to the port or chance it lugging your bags on the train. FYI-don't train it during rush hour. Be warned.

I would rather stay in Rome! And we had no problem taking our luggage on the train. Taking the train is not chancing it at all!

Have you been to Europe before?

Okay, must be the wine I'm drinking... but second post I've read that made me laugh out loud. Kind of reminds me of the guy who was pretending he used RomeInLimo and said that he loved getting back into his stretch limo after each location. Ya, ok... sure. Can you even imagine a stretch limo in Rome?

It all depends upon what you want, but for less than what you are paying for the hotel in Civatacecchia you could stay in Rome and take the train the next day. Even for a few hours while jet lagged it is great to be in Rome.

OP--I am glad you are happy with the room you have booked for the price :)

For others looking ahead, I agree with the PP who said that most Italian hotels (especially in a smaller area such as Civitavecchia) will not have released their schedule so far in advance. We have sailed out of that port many times for April May or October cruises (so not peak summer, which I admit may be different) and have always found rooms for that price or less (less when we only have two people, usually we need a room for four) 2 months or less from the sail date.

It all depends upon what you want, but for less than what you are paying for the hotel in Civatacecchia you could stay in Rome and take the train the next day. Even for a few hours while jet lagged it is great to be in Rome.

For 122 bucks for a night, at the port at a well Tripadvisor reviewed hotel, I think I am getting a bargain. For a convenient to the city center, Rome hotel that has overwhelmingly good reviews from Tripadvisor, I would have to pay the same if not more. I am in my sixties and don't have the energy or patience to go up and down stairs for a train ride from Rome to the port or to have to worry about angry Italians who feel that I am taking up too much space with my bags. I just want a quiet night sleep before my cruise. After the cruise, I will stay in Rome for a few days where I can take my time in enjoying that city. Presently, most major online reservations will not book a Rome hotel that far in advance, but I have tried individual hotel's and bb's websites that meet my criteria of price, value and convenience, and they are all booked up for early May, 2014.

Archived