Royal Caribbean Leaving Port of Galveston?

My grandfather lives in the Galveston area and keeps up with this stuff. He tells me that Royal Caribbean is pulling out of Galveston completely when their contract ends and will be sailing from either Houston or from the Baytown/Pasadena terminal.

Has anyone heard about or know anything about this?

Having done 5 sailings from that port to pretty much the same itinerary, I'm not sad if they leave. Though we love sailing with RCI, we are so done with the Caribbean.

Our last Caribbean cruise (out of Galveston) in January pretty much sealed it for us. We much prefer the European sailings. There are less children, the people dress so much nicer for dinner and are more sophisticated in general ( read that as less chair hogs, less pushing in lines, friendlier people.) We also found the food to be better on European sailings.

We do not cruise just for the sake of cruising. We cruise for ports so there is nothing to entice us to take yet another cruise from Galveston to the same old ports. We live on the Mexican border. We've "done" Cozumel, the ruins, etc. and there is nothing there that we can't get here (shopping-wise) for a lot less money. Roatan, Jamaica, Honduras, Grand Cayman have nothing more to offer us.

We have a B2B scheduled for this summer on Brilliance and another B2B on Celebrity Millenium next year. We've run out of ports so we are thinking of a third river cruise in our future.

We extend our Sympathies to those of you who enjoy having a Texas port to sail from. New Orleans isn't all that close and Galveston is a great town.

Are they doing the same old tired itinerary for 2015 or are they changing it up a bit? I can hope cant I? Lol!

I don't know I don't have access :(. I'm assuming the same old itineraries, this is Royal Caribbean we're talking about ;). They said they are loaded into groups in Cruisingpower, so we should know soon.

I was hoping they would leave Galveston for Houston, but on well.

Sounds like when RCCL pulled out of San Diego & LA for their mexican cruises, really sucks thats the only cruise we can catch on the west coast is in Seattle for an Alaskan cruise, living in AZ it really sucks when you have to travel so far to cruise, hopefully they'll return soon for something in California.

Unfortunately I am limited to cruises nearby to where I live due to financial reasons. Though I am planning a TransAtlantic or European cruise for maybe 2015; I much prefer to leave from Galveston (or Houston) to reduce my travel expenses.

I am sailing out of New Orleans for my next cruise though.

My sister does Disney cruises a ton. Disney said they are pulling out of Galveston when their contract ends, also.

Galveston is not easily reached - closest major airport is an hour away.

So Galveston just needs to get an Airport:rolleyes:

I don't know I don't have access :(. I'm assuming the same old itineraries, this is Royal Caribbean we're talking about ;). They said they are loaded into groups in Cruisingpower, so we should know soon.

I was hoping they would leave Galveston for Houston, but on well.

Why does everyone want to see RCCL leave Galveston? If you don't want to cruise out of Galveston, then simply don't ;) There are PLENTY of options from Florida and also ships in the UK to cruise on. Personally, I hope they bring a Freedom class ship to Galveston because, for us, we don't care where it goes, as long as we are on a ship and that ship has a Flowrider :D

The cruise terminal in the Port of Houston will be getting NCL and Caribbean Princess cruises in 2014 and 2015.

So Galveston just needs to get an Airport:rolleyes:

Same thing when you sail on the Freedom, you have to fly into Orlando and then drive 45 minutes to an hour to Port Canaveral :) Granted, Galveston beaches are not NEAR as nice as Florida, but for us, it would be great to have a Freedom class in Galveston because then we could simply drive 45 minutes to Galveston and go on a cruise :p

Sounds like when RCCL pulled out of San Diego & LA for their mexican cruises, really sucks thats the only cruise we can catch on the west coast is in Seattle for an Alaskan cruise, living in AZ it really sucks when you have to travel so far to cruise, hopefully they'll return soon for something in California.

We had some hope when Vision was sitting wide open, and cancelled the repositioning from Colon to Miami. But word is coming down now that it will just do short Caribbean out of FLL.

As if they need ANOTHER ship in Florida.

This thread is so confusing! :confused: On one hand we have RCI pulling our of Galveston all together and on the other RCI is putting a ship year round out of Galveston?

I prefer the year round option, but I'm optimistic that instead of either option... they are getting ready to put a new (hopefully larger) ship in Galveston (seasonal or otherwise). I can easily see them moving a Freedom class ship to Galveston once both Quantum and Anthem enter service. I think its reasonable to think they will put Anthem in Port Canaveral and move Freedom elsewhere.

Disclaimer: I have not heard this information from a cabin steward, waiter etc., it is just my own conjecture and should not be construed as having come from previously mentioned reliable sources.;)

Amen, brother......