Royal Caribbean Leaving Port of Galveston?

This thread is so confusing! :confused: On one hand we have RCI pulling our of Galveston all together and on the other RCI is putting a ship year round out of Galveston?

I prefer the year round option, but I'm optimistic that instead of either option... they are getting ready to put a new (hopefully larger) ship in Galveston (seasonal or otherwise). I can easily see them moving a Freedom class ship to Galveston once both Quantum and Anthem enter service. I think its reasonable to think they will put Anthem in Port Canaveral and move Freedom elsewhere.

Disclaimer: I have not heard this information from a cabin steward, waiter etc., it is just my own conjecture and should not be construed as having come from previously mentioned reliable sources.;)

I don't see Anthem replacing Freedom since Anthem is designed to handle cold weather, but I can definitely see Anthem replacing Independence. That would free up Indy, but with the way the Far East market is growing, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Indy or Anthem went out there.

Why does everyone want to see RCCL leave Galveston? If you don't want to cruise out of Galveston, then simply don't ;) There are PLENTY of options from Florida and also ships in the UK to cruise on. Personally, I hope they bring a Freedom class ship to Galveston because, for us, we don't care where it goes, as long as we are on a ship and that ship has a Flowrider :D

The cruise terminal in the Port of Houston will be getting NCL and Caribbean Princess cruises in 2014 and 2015.

Why wouldn't you want to leave from Houston over Galveston? The reviews indicate that Galveston is a mess in terms of disembarkation, it's 45 out of the way when flying in, and Houston has a new terminal. It's a no brainer :confused:.

Why wouldn't you want to leave from Houston over Galveston? The reviews indicate that Galveston is a mess in terms of disembarkation, it's 45 out of the way when flying in, and Houston has a new terminal. It's a no brainer :confused:.

From what I have read and heard about that cruise terminal in the Port of Houston, it will take a cruise ship two hours just to get out of the port and into open water, there was an issue with the pilot's union (I guess that has been resolved) AND I don't believe it is large enough for a Freedom class ship and without a Flowrider, we won't be sailing on it ;)

Here is a quote from one news story as to why that cruise terminal still sits empty:

"Local 2 Investigates discovered one thing that's not going to change is the time it takes the cruise lines to get ships from the Port of Houston out to sea. Several cruise ship industry experts said they believe that's one of the main reasons why cruise lines aren't coming to Bayport.

It takes a ship just 45 minutes to get out to sea from the Port of Galveston, but it takes twice that time -- around two hours -- to get from the Port of Houston through the ship channel and out to sea."

I don't see Anthem replacing Freedom since Anthem is designed to handle cold weather, but I can definitely see Anthem replacing Independence. That would free up Indy, but with the way the Far East market is growing, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Indy or Anthem went out there.

We will take the Indy in Galveston or the Freedom or Liberty, any one of them would be great :D Or, if the rumors I heard about them putting a Flowrider on the Voyager are true, heck, we would be happy with the Voyager out of Galveston :p

As if they need ANOTHER ship in Florida.

If people fill the ships in FL, they need to keep sailing as many ships as they can fill in FL.

If people fill the ships in TX, they need to keep sailding as many ships as they can fill in TX.

Simple economics.

If they leave TX and put another ship in FL, you know your answer.

From what I have read and heard about that cruise terminal in the Port of Houston, it will take a cruise ship two hours just to get out of the port and into open water, there was an issue with the pilot's union (I guess that has been resolved) AND I don't believe it is large enough for a Freedom class ship and without a Flowrider, we won't be sailing on it ;)

Here is a quote from one news story as to why that cruise terminal still sits empty:

"Local 2 Investigates discovered one thing that's not going to change is the time it takes the cruise lines to get ships from the Port of Houston out to sea. Several cruise ship industry experts said they believe that's one of the main reasons why cruise lines aren't coming to Bayport.

It takes a ship just 45 minutes to get out to sea from the Port of Galveston, but it takes twice that time -- around two hours -- to get from the Port of Houston through the ship channel and out to sea."

And... it takes over 6 hours to go down the Mississippi River from NOLA, so that is NOT the real reason. It really only takes around 30 minutes to go from dock to end of jetty in Galveston. Nice, but not really a big change.

I just called Crown & Anchor to see if they had any viable info, which they did not, especially on the Navigator, but the lady said I could rest assured that they would not leave Galveston altogether.So , should we believe this ??? As far as someone else said if you hate Galveston, go somewhere else, but there are problems in other ports as well I would think..We just like being able to drive there, and as far as Bayport is concerned, there is only one parking option now for 800 vehicles max.And it is quite expensive.

Is parking available at the Bayport Cruise Terminal?

We have 800 parking slots and are adding more. Security is provided.

7 day cruises: $80.00 per week / $75.00 per week if prepaid.*

There is no parking fee for disabled American Veterans who present appropriate

documentation.

Edited by CENTEX CRUISER

I'm on the Mariner right now. The loyalty ambassador does not think Royal Caribbean is pulling out of Texas. She thinks they will be leaving the Navigator there year-round.

As of 9:00 this morning, they hadn't received new deployment information. Believe me, there are lots of people checking!

The "Asianization" of the Mariner is is full force this week. :(

Why does everyone want to see RCCL leave Galveston? If you don't want to cruise out of Galveston, then simply don't ;) There are PLENTY of options from Florida and also ships in the UK to cruise on. Personally, I hope they bring a Freedom class ship to Galveston because, for us, we don't care where it goes, as long as we are on a ship and that ship has a Flowrider :D

The cruise terminal in the Port of Houston will be getting NCL and Caribbean Princess cruises in 2014 and 2015.

Now you know what us on the west coast feel like, at least you may still have a ship somewhere ;)

I'm on the Mariner right now. The loyalty ambassador does not think Royal Caribbean is pulling out of Texas. She thinks they will be leaving the Navigator there year-round.

As of 9:00 this morning, they hadn't received new deployment information. Believe me, there are lots of people checking!

:(!

Thanks . Tell them to do so , and alternate between 7 and 5 day cruises...

Didn't they use to have a RCCL out of the West Coast that went to Mexico?

Yes, Mariner was in LA for a couple of years doing Mexican Riviera cruises. Monarch was also based in LA for many years.

I just called Crown & Anchor to see if they had any viable info, which they did not, especially on the Navigator, but the lady said I could rest assured that they would not leave Galveston altogether.So , should we believe this ??? As far as someone else said if you hate Galveston, go somewhere else, but there are problems in other ports as well I would think..We just like being able to drive there, and as far as Bayport is concerned, there is only one parking option now for 800 vehicles max.And it is quite expensive.

Is parking available at the Bayport Cruise Terminal?

We have 800 parking slots and are adding more. Security is provided.

7 day cruises: $80.00 per week / $75.00 per week if prepaid.*

There is no parking fee for disabled American Veterans who present appropriate

documentation.

Hmmm i would take the 80 buck per 7 night cruise price compared to what the parking authority in Bayonne charges....costs us 160 for a 9 night cruise

Let's see..

No parking, no hotels, no restaurants, nada, zilch, diddle squat!

I will take Galveston any day, week, month or year!

Agree, I like Galveston, there is actually a lot to do there and I love several Restaurants, we go down there a lot for the day; and rent a Beach House in the Summer for the week.

It would be nice if there is a Cruise Ship year round possibly do alternate cruises like 10 days and then maybe a 7 day and then maybe a 14 day cruise and get to some other places besides Mexico and Jamaica.

I cruise mainly for the ports, but if the price is right out of Galv or Hou I would do a quick Cruise from there. The destinations just don't do it for me, so I may consider just vacation on land till something interesting pops up.

And I am not flying to NY for their new ship, I am beginning to dislike the Airlines and would rather drive a day or 2 just to avoid flying

Sounds like when RCCL pulled out of San Diego & LA for their mexican cruises, really sucks thats the only cruise we can catch on the west coast is in Seattle for an Alaskan cruise, living in AZ it really sucks when you have to travel so far to cruise, hopefully they'll return soon for something in California.

I second this!

Kerrie