Royal Caribbean Leaving Port of Galveston?

Sounds just like Bayonne.

Fully concur.

Actually, I tend to feel that way about a lot of other ports that are "convenient" to many folks but not to us. Like FLL, Miami, etc. :D:D

Interesting how one person's meat is another person's poison!!! :p

VR,

T Lex

P.S. FWIW, and it probably isn't worth much, note that Cindy posted earlier while on board Mariner and I agree with what the LA said. My own TA and her staff contacted Miami HQ today and were essentially informed that nothing has been officially posted. Can't discount - and prefer NOT to discount - what some have seen on Cruising Power, but we are still waiting. And hoping for the best.

Yes, Mariner was in LA for a couple of years doing Mexican Riviera cruises. Monarch was also based in LA for many years.

And don't forget the Viking Serenade & Vision of the Sea also out of San Pedro...Hmmm..sailed on and miss them all :(

Sounds like when RCCL pulled out of San Diego & LA for their mexican cruises, really sucks thats the only cruise we can catch on the west coast is in Seattle for an Alaskan cruise, living in AZ it really sucks when you have to travel so far to cruise, hopefully they'll return soon for something in California.

So concur that it is sad RCI is not in CA doing Mexico. We loved that itinerary. It was easy to get to CA. :(

My grandfather lives in the Galveston area and keeps up with this stuff. He tells me that Royal Caribbean is pulling out of Galveston completely when their contract ends and will be sailing from either Houston or from the Baytown/Pasadena terminal.

Has anyone heard about or know anything about this?

That's fine with me, as long as I can still drive to the terminal. ;)

I feel for the Californians, we had that problem for a year or so with no ship in Galveston.

But with 3 new builds, now more than ever, we both have a chance to get what we want, a ship for CA and a year round for TX.:D

I would jump at the chance to do one out of L.A. or San Diego to the west coast of Mexico:D

I don't care which port as long as it's Texas! We can go more often because we can drive vs. fly. We might get bored with some of the ports but enjoy cruising just for cruising too. I so want year around, it would give us some many more choices. We just won't waste our money again on Carnival which means we end up flying to Florida.

We received a Royal Caribbean Savings add in the mail, with Navigator for 7 nights out of Galveston. Don't think RCCL would spend that money to advertize something that is not to be. It's for this fall and must be booked by May 10th. It's a kids sail from $199 in a stateroom with adult.

If you got kids, it's a great deal.

The Nov 24-April 27 2014 Navigator cruises from Galveston have been posted for a long time..It is past those dates that is in question.

We received a Royal Caribbean Savings add in the mail, with Navigator for 7 nights out of Galveston. Don't think RCCL would spend that money to advertize something that is not to be. It's for this fall and must be booked by May 10th. It's a kids sail from $199 in a stateroom with adult.

If you got kids, it's a great deal.

Wow, I just noticed that the Serenade will be sailing out of NOLA in 2014. However... what sucky runs. The usual Jamaica run alternated with Key West, Bahama, Coco Kay.... ewwwww.

Looks more and more like RCL is truly moving to utilize it own ports stops, minimize distance and oh by the way ramp up your ship time.

As pretty much of a port person, I keep going to other lines to get the ports I want. Could care less about the ship. Oh well, to each their own.

How come schedules already posted at NOLA and not Galveston? Does look like they are up to something. I am guessing, trying to decide which ship to bring in next.

I know it is convenient for those of you who are close and drive, but most of the rest of us that fly in don't have good things to say about the port.

Well, flying int LAX and having to get to San Pedro or Long Beach is no picnic nor is flying to Orlando and having to get to Port Canaveral.

I doubt they will be pulling out of Texas as the ships sail full week in week out. A return to year round cruising on RCI out of either Galveston or Houston would be wonderful!

Well, flying int LAX and having to get to San Pedro or Long Beach is no picnic nor is flying to Orlando and having to get to Port Canaveral.

I doubt they will be pulling out of Texas as the ships sail full week in week out. A return to year round cruising on RCI out of either Galveston or Houston would be wonderful!

I lived in Long Beach for 40 years before moving north, and absolutely hated LAX. I would do anything to avoid that airport. But have to say getting to/from LAX is much easier than from Houston to Galveston....although I would much rather do the latter. But I had booked a Serenade trip for Nov 2014 out of NOLA due to the rumor of Navigator being pulled out, but cancelled that (and 2 others) over the (lack of) deployment issue related to CA.

Based on the rumors floating around here on CC, it appears that Navigator 'might' sail year round from Galveston, although it would contradict every press release RCCL put out regarding Europe. Never assume that just because a ship 'sails full' means that it will be kept, just look at LA. On a sidenote, I was on a Carnival ship in 2011 (first refugee trip) - and that ship was 'full', but met many passengers that were given free staterooms because they couldn't fill it - they just had to buy airfare from LA back to Vancouver.

Edited by Piepkorn

well, flying int lax and having to get to san pedro or long beach is no picnic nor is flying to orlando and having to get to port canaveral.

I doubt they will be pulling out of texas as the ships sail full week in week out. A return to year round cruising on rci out of either galveston or houston would be wonderful!

+1 !!

Official...as per the concierge and Vintages manager on the Mariner as of April 20...Navigator is staying in Galveston year-round!!!:)

Great news, Ms. Cindy!!

If you can't trust the Vintages manager and Concierge, then who can you trust?? :p :D

VR,

T Lex

P.S. seriously, it sure looks like something is brewing in respect to Navigator remaining in Galveston after April 2014. Now if Royal will just put that up on their website!

Great news, Ms. Cindy!!

If you can't trust the Vintages manager and Concierge, then who can you trust?? :p :D

VR,

T Lex

P.S. seriously, it sure looks like something is brewing in respect to Navigator remaining in Galveston after April 2014. Now if Royal will just put that up on their website!

Lots of staff transferring to the Navigator after the Mariner gets to Asia...they are ecstatic. More tomorrow. Cindy

Edited by Cindy

Wow, I just noticed that the Serenade will be sailing out of NOLA in 2014. However... what sucky runs. The usual Jamaica run alternated with Key West, Bahama, Coco Kay.... ewwwww.

Looks more and more like RCL is truly moving to utilize it own ports stops, minimize distance and oh by the way ramp up your ship time.

As pretty much of a port person, I keep going to other lines to get the ports I want. Could care less about the ship. Oh well, to each their own.

How come schedules already posted at NOLA and not Galveston? Does look like they are up to something. I am guessing, trying to decide which ship to bring in next.

I am doing the Serenade from NOLA in Feb 2014 to Key West, Coco Cay, Nassau just because I have never been to NOLA or any of the ports and wanted something different than the same ol' Galveston itineraries; but they don't seem all that exciting.