Transatlantic cruise rough?

Ykcin

For non-drowsy remedy for seasickness, DH and I have had good luck w/ ginger capsules. I had read the 'Mythbusters' TV show did an episode examining various non-prescription seasickness remedies (wrist bands, ginger capsules, I forget the others). The ginger was the only thing that worked in their experiment. NYT also reported on ginger for motion sickness several years ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/21real.html?_r=0

When my mother (who could get drunk on 2 ounces of wine) immigrated to Canada many years ago, she was told to drink a shot of whiskey first thing every morning. I guess this worked, because if she was seasick, she never noticed. :p

Please tell me what the shot was for sea sickness, I beg you!

I am sorry I didn't see your question until today! But I don't know the answer to that one.

Just go to the doctor on the ship and ask for it!

Mura

I am booked on Oceania In Nov from Barcelona to Miami. I am prone to sea sickness when seas are rough. I use the patch, but will still get queasy if seas are very rough. We have a penthouse on deck 10 mid ship. What are your thoughts? Are seas rough TA crossings usually?

Depends how lucky you get. We did the NY to London this May and the crossing was pretty smooth even though they told us to expect some rough weather. Even canceled a few port stops, so you never know. :)

I am booked on Oceania In Nov from Barcelona to Miami. I am prone to sea sickness when seas are rough. I use the patch, but will still get queasy if seas are very rough. We have a penthouse on deck 10 mid ship. What are your thoughts? Are seas rough TA crossings usually?

I have done this crossing with Oceania 4 times and have had calm seas, the weather was very warm after leaving the Canary Islands,I think you will be very unlucky if it is rough.

It is the Atlantic so anything can Happen!!!

• 2 weeks later...

On the Baltic Cruise aboard Nautica in late July, nothing more than a one foot swell. We were aft on deck 7 and slept soundly. Still the ships store sold out of the patches on the first night. We are also on the same repositioning cruise in November and will buy patches locally before flying to Barcelona. Just in case... Oh, War Eagle!

Counterintuitively, it is also better to be where you can see the ocean's waves instead of being in a darkened room; it allows your brain to anticipate the movement instead of it being a continual surprise. As possible, stay in fresh air and be where you can see the horizon. You also want to avoid reading or other near-focus activity if you feel queasy; also avoid staring into binoculars for lengths of time. Lastly, stay hydrated (7-Up or coke works well to settle the stomach in these instances). If you want to avoid meds, eat ginger (candied) as an alternative. The medical proof it works is not strong, but in personal experience, almost anyone who does has relief from their symptoms.

I concur with all of this, as a life-long sufferer of motion sickness. But cruise ships bother me very little, and I expect Riviera (on this same crossing) to be a piece of cake!

Sea sickness is an extremely uncomcorfortable condition - I have been there.

Personally, I do not take any chances as I do not wish any repeats. I use Bonine that works very well for me without any side effects.

Despite the above bravado, I intend to take Bonine from the start of the cruise. And if it's really calm and stable, probably stop after a few days.

Note to Canadians, or at least Ontarians: the last time I checked, this medication was unavailable. I stock up in the States when I'm there.

Counterintuitively, it is also better to be where you can see the ocean's waves instead of being in a darkened room; it allows your brain to anticipate the movement instead of it being a continual surprise. As possible, stay in fresh air and be where you can see the horizon. You also want to avoid reading or other near-focus activity if you feel queasy; also avoid staring into binoculars for lengths of time. Lastly, stay hydrated (7-Up or coke works well to settle the stomach in these instances). If you want to avoid meds, eat ginger (candied) as an alternative. The medical proof it works is not strong, but in personal experience, almost anyone who does has relief from their symptoms.

I concur with all of this, as a life-long sufferer of motion sickness. But cruise ships bother me very little, and I expect Riviera (on this same crossing) to be a piece of cake!

Sea sickness is an extremely uncomcorfortable condition - I have been there.

Personally, I do not take any chances as I do not wish any repeats. I use Bonine that works very well for me without any side effects.

Despite the above bravado, I intend to take Bonine from the start of the cruise. And if it's really calm and stable, probably stop after a few days.

I learned from a post here to start taking Bonine 2-3 days before the cruise. My wife who never gets seasick was sick as a dog from Charleston to Bermuda (she took nothing and ended up on sliced green apples) while I ate BLD with abandon...

Note to Canadians, or at least Ontarians: the last time I checked, this medication was unavailable. I stock up in the States when I'm there.

Still unavailable here. :mad: We used to get it under the name Bonamine, but they discontinued it a few years ago. I can't imagine why?

Still unavailable here. :mad: We used to get it under the name Bonamine, but they discontinued it a few years ago. I can't imagine why?

Good excuse for a quick trip to Port Huron.....not that I really need one. We don't take anything for seasickness. There is a bladder medication my DD uses for infections related to frequent kidney stones. It is a bit of an analgesic for the urinary tract. Was d/c'd a couple of years ago so get it in US also. Means it is not covered on drug plan :-(

Once when it was really rough outside Lisbon DH got a tablet of something from reception. Whatever it was it did the trick. He went to sleep and I went to dine!

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good excuse for a quick trip to Port Huron.....not that I really need one. We don't take anything for seasickness.

We are in the west end. Please pick me up on your way through. :D

DH and DS normally go to the Detroit Auto Show in January. They can pick me up some then.

Yes. I even asked a pharmacist and he couldn't imagine why they didn't have it--he just said it was unavailable.

I spend the winter in Florida, so I always pick some up down there. If there's anybody on the November Riviera Crossing BCN-MIA, I can bring extra!

Archived