Are things different on a short cruise?

rainbowhays

I have been reading these boards and reviews as my wife and I are off on a five night cruise next week. We are in Queens Grill and have been looking forward to ordering off menu, however I have read that on short cruises off menu ordering is not available. Is this the case?

First night isn't generally available on any length of cruise for off-menu so naturally that limits amount of availability on a shorter cruise (last night has tended to be hit and miss) - other nights never a problem in QG even on shorter cruises.

Question is whether you'll want to - beef wellington one night, chateaubriand the next only gives you one night to think about :D

Quick note - putting chateaubriand in through a kindle the spell-checker changed it to 'veterinarians' - spotted it just in time or that post could have looked very bizarre!

First night isn't generally available on any length of cruise for off-menu so naturally that limits amount of availability on a shorter cruise (last night has tended to be hit and miss) - other nights never a problem in QG even on shorter cruises.

Question is whether you'll want to - beef wellington one night, chateaubriand the next only gives you one night to think about :D

Quick note - putting chateaubriand in through a kindle the spell-checker changed it to 'veterinarians' - spotted it just in time or that post could have looked very bizarre!

Veterinarians would definitely have been off-menu!:eek:

There is a difference in the "rules" between the QG and Britannia.

That which "allowed" in QG is not "allowed" in Britannia. Passengers in the Grills pay large amounts of $ for the luxuries they enjoy, you cannot compare the Grills to Britannia. The experience is not the same.

The knowledge or attitude of your table waiter also has to be taken into account. Unfortunately some waiters no longer are helpful, they do not let passengers know that even in Britannia there are alternatives EVERY night.

They do not tell passengers at the table changes in hours of service for instance, once this was always done as a matter of courtesy.

Certainly it is possible to order from limited alternatives in Britannia, but you need to be aware of right to do so , for you will never receive any help in that direction from the staff.

Haven't you folks had a problem recently with veterinarians providing the raw material for your chateaubriand?

And very tasty it was too. Not only that but the phenylbutazone did wonders for my rheumatics!

J

There is a difference in the "rules" between the QG and Britannia.

That which "allowed" in QG is not "allowed" in Britannia. Passengers in the Grills pay large amounts of $ for the luxuries they enjoy, you cannot compare the Grills to Britannia. The experience is not the same.

The knowledge or attitude of your table waiter also has to be taken into account. Unfortunately some waiters no longer are helpful, they do not let passengers know that even in Britannia there are alternatives EVERY night.

They do not tell passengers at the table changes in hours of service for instance, once this was always done as a matter of courtesy.

Certainly it is possible to order from limited alternatives in Britannia, but you need to be aware of right to do so , for you will never receive any help in that direction from the staff.

Just on this, if you are a Queens Grill passenger and you're invited to dine at the captain's table, you don't have to eat from the Britannia menu as the QG maitre d can arrange to have items from the Queens Grill menu sent down to you.

T

Just for the record, friends of ours dining in Britannia on the QE (on Q308) who are vegetarians were advised by the Maitre 'D on the first night that there is a separate - and quite extensive - vegetarian menu available in addition to the vegetarian options on the main menu.

I think for anyone who has issues with a menu whether dietary or any other reason needs to appreciate that the Maitre 'D is the port of call rather than the waiters - who I think are there to deliver the goods - they are too hard pressed to do much else. As long as you pre-order there should be no problem.

Just on this, if you are a Queens Grill passenger and you're invited to dine at the captain's table, you don't have to eat from the Britannia menu as the QG maitre d can arrange to have items from the Queens Grill menu sent down to you.

Whitemarsh, When being invited to dinner on the Captains Table, which I have had the privilege of doing on QM2. I was brought up in accepting whatever the host was offering, not bringing things from home !

Whitemarsh, When being invited to dinner on the Captains Table, which I have had the privilege of doing on QM2. I was brought up in accepting whatever the host was offering, not bringing things from home !

The arrangements in question (in the limited instances when they occur) are instigated by the maître d' of QG and not the passenger. The same maître d' will also usually be the person who asks you if you want to dine on one evening in the Britannia with the Captain or other officers.

The arrangements in question (in the limited instances when they occur) are instigated by the maître d' of QG and not the passenger. The same maître d' will also usually be the person who asks you if you want to dine on one evening in the Britannia with the Captain or other officers.

To the best of my knowledge, in Britannia Category, an invitation to dine at the Captain's table is slipped under one's stateroom door early in the morning. (RSVP by phone.) If asking for an invite or being asked if one wishes to be invited is successful in Britannia Category, I have no idea.

To the best of my knowledge, in Britannia Category, an invitation to dine at the Captain's table is slipped under one's stateroom door early in the morning. (RSVP by phone.) If asking for an invite or being asked if one wishes to be invited is successful in Britannia Category, I have no idea.

In the QG, unless you are previously known to the Captain (or other senior officer) the maître d' would try to get to know you first before suggesting such a visit. The maître d' generally has an instinct as to who would enjoy dining in Britannia and who would not.

In the QG, unless you are previously known to the Captain (or other senior officer) the maître d' would try to get to know you first before suggesting such a visit. The maître d' generally has an instinct as to who would enjoy dining in Britannia and who would not.

I understand. Selective screening is an interesting concept.:)

Dining in Britannia isn't for everyone: we rowers do have our standards!:D

I understand. Selective screening is an interesting concept.:)

Dining in Britannia isn't for everyone: we rowers do have our standards!:D

I have heard it can be lively in Britannia. I believe that the QG maître d' harbours a fear if I went there to dine I may be overcome with shock and drown in the consommé.

I have heard it can be lively in Britannia. I believe that the QG maître d' harbours a fear if I went there to dine I may be overcome with shock and drown in the consommé.

Crikey, no one told me I could order consomme in Britannia! Live and learn, hey? :)

Crikey, no one told me I could order consomme in Britannia! Live and learn, hey? :)

You poor thing. Fancy missing out on the various consommés that the on-board chefs can prepare. They are so healthy too. (Note to self:- The likelihood of my dining in Britannia grows weaker by the minute.)

You poor thing. Fancy missing out on the various consommés that the on-board chefs can prepare. They are so healthy too. (Note to self:- The likelihood of my dining in Britannia grows weaker by the minute.)

I can't remember the last time anyone referred to me as "you poor thing", perhaps because they sense it is inadvisable...

But don't weaken, someday you might just enjoy dining in Britannia. Stranger things have happened. Cheers, -S.

I can't remember the last time anyone referred to me as "you poor thing", perhaps because they sense it is inadvisable...

But don't weaken, someday you might just enjoy dining in Britannia. Stranger things have happened. Cheers, -S.

Sorry, Salacia - I forgot you are a denizen of New York. I am now ducking for cover. :eek:

Sorry, Salacia - I forgot you are a denizen of New York. I am now ducking for cover. :eek:

No worries mate: you'll never meet more friendly, gracious and fun loving people than my fellow citizens in New York. We don't take offense. Wanna buy a bridge?:D Cheers, -S

quote Whitemarsh

Just on this, if you are a Queens Grill passenger and you're invited to dine at the captain's table, you don't have to eat from the Britannia menu as the QG maitre d can arrange to have items from the Queens Grill menu sent down to you. end quote

Salacia, That is quite correct, The invitation is placed inside your stateroom and you confirm or decline the invitation by phoning the Captains Secretary. A very nice privilege it is as well. One surly would never ask for an invite unless of course your are taking your own food.:D

Archived