Are things different on a short cruise?

rainbowhays

... Salacia, That is quite correct, The invitation is placed inside your stateroom and you confirm or decline the invitation by phoning the Captains Secretary. A very nice privilege it is as well. One surly would never ask for an invite unless of course your are taking your own food.:D

Oh dear! I think if one was slipped under my door I would be tempted to slip it back out again. The very thought of dining with the Captain and all the other gliteratti brings me out in a rash. :eek:

J

Oh dear! I think if one was slipped under my door I would be tempted to slip it back out again. The very thought of dining with the Captain and all the other gliteratti brings me out in a rash. :eek:

J

Cruachan and AnnieC, Don't mock doing a Hyacinth Bucket until you have tried it.:D

J

Me too. Thought it was just one of my (many) funny little ways - obviously not.

Mary:)

quote Whitemarsh

Just on this, if you are a Queens Grill passenger and you're invited to dine at the captain's table, you don't have to eat from the Britannia menu as the QG maitre d can arrange to have items from the Queens Grill menu sent down to you. end quote

Salacia, That is quite correct, The invitation is placed inside your stateroom and you confirm or decline the invitation by phoning the Captains Secretary. A very nice privilege it is as well. One surly would never ask for an invite unless of course your are taking your own food.:D

Well, it's sometimes different in the Queens Grill. You get asked if you'd like to go (unless of course you're already known to the captain etc etc) before any invitation is issued.

Just for the record, friends of ours dining in Britannia on the QE (on Q308) who are vegetarians were advised by the Maitre 'D on the first night that there is a separate - and quite extensive - vegetarian menu available in addition to the vegetarian options on the main menu.

I think for anyone who has issues with a menu whether dietary or any other reason needs to appreciate that the Maitre 'D is the port of call rather than the waiters - who I think are there to deliver the goods - they are too hard pressed to do much else. As long as you pre-order there should be no problem.

My 16 year old DD will be thrilled to hear there is a separate, extensive vegetarian menu. She also has a nut allergy, so she has to pre-order anyway. (Our TA has notified Cunard of the food allergy.) On Princess and Celebrity, we're used to pre-ordering her dinner with either the Maitre D' or the Head Waiter.

On our recent Spring Break cruise on Celebrity, DD was very happy when they brought out the separate vegetarian menu and she realized she wasn't limited to pasta every night.:) Vegetarian dishes often contain nuts, though, so perhaps they will be able to modify something for her when she pre-orders.

My 16 year old DD will be thrilled to hear there is a separate, extensive vegetarian menu. She also has a nut allergy, so she has to pre-order anyway. (Our TA has notified Cunard of the food allergy.) On Princess and Celebrity, we're used to pre-ordering her dinner with either the Maitre D' or the Head Waiter.

On our recent Spring Break cruise on Celebrity, DD was very happy when they brought out the separate vegetarian menu and she realized she wasn't limited to pasta every night.:) Vegetarian dishes often contain nuts, though, so perhaps they will be able to modify something for her when she pre-orders.

A young friend of mine has the kind of nut allergy that requires him to carry an epi-pen (comes in handy when waiting for the ambulance). He gets the menu for the following day at the end of dinner. Special measures are then taken to allow him to enjoy his meals. Cunard are very good with this.

A young friend of mine has the kind of nut allergy that requires him to carry an epi-pen (comes in handy when waiting for the ambulance). He gets the menu for the following day at the end of dinner. Special measures are then taken to allow him to enjoy his meals. Cunard are very good with this.

Yes, DD carries an Epipen and Benadryl on her at all times. This requires her to always be carrying a purse or small backpack. I read that a company is developing an epinephrine auto injector that will be similar in size and shape to a smartphone, so that it can be more easily carried in a pocket. DD is anxious for that to happen.

His nut allergy added a certain frisson to a pharological expedition a couple of years back when we sat in the car park outside Whitby Abbey playing Russian Roulette with my hand crafted packed lunch of bacon and cheese filled multi-grain rolls! :D:D:D

J

His nut allergy added a certain frisson to a pharological expedition a couple of years back when we sat in the car park outside Whitby Abbey playing Russian Roulette with my hand crafted packed lunch of bacon and cheese filled multi-grain rolls! :D:D:D

J

Hmmmmmmmmm. I was Merely Miffed when they would not let me finish my wine in the ambulance...

I was about to say a few things about my allergy to nuts on board cruise ships (and even name a few names) but the topic of nut allergies is a serious one and can have unpleasant, or even dangerous consequences for those affected. Good thing I re thought exposing some of the nuts I have met on board.:eek::D

I was about to say a few things about my allergy to nuts on board cruise ships (and even name a few names) but the topic of nut allergies is a serious one and can have unpleasant, or even dangerous consequences for those affected. Good thing I re thought exposing some of the nuts I have met on board.:eek::D

Very serious subject indeed! But Cruachan and I are well aware of its effect on our young friend and watch him carefully...

You have met nuts on board? The thought of it. On the other hand, we're well past post #10... ;)

LIVE FROM QV SPRING GETAWAY - 5 NIGHTS

The answer to this enquiry is as follows:

The food served is the same as usual, excellent.

Embarkation was speedy and efficient.

Two guest lecturers on board - both good

One guest comedien - Adrian Walsh - seen him on QV on earlier trips

Shows still the same - Stroke of Genius; Dance Passion etc.

Doesn't seem as many daytime activities, the majority are related to the Spa and their treatments. No galley or bridge tours, no cooking or napkin folding or other such demonstrations.

No cocktail parties at all - neither Captain's, World Club or Senior Officers

Noticed some subtle penny pinching touches though mainly on small items such as petit fours, nibbles,bread rolls etc.

Noticed a few senior staff members have family aboard (maybe a perk as it's a short trip?)

All in all the trip is OK but it does feel somehow as if the passengers who embarked at Southampton / Hamburg are just 'bed fillers' until the real cruising starts on Wednesday. :(

Doubt I would take a short trip again.

Just my opinion, many others will be added I'm sure!

Forgot to add in my post above - for two days, until we arrived in Hamburg, Cafe Corinthia was taped off and with a sign stating 'Reserved for Full World Cruise guests only'!! - Made us 'shorties' feel like second class citizens....:(

That's not nice - was that for all of the two days? You know the difference between Grills and Britannia when you book, and can accept that some rooms may be required for certain functions at certain times (e.g., world club party)... but to put a public room out of bounds for one group at the expense of others wouldn't sit easy with me

That's not nice - was that for all of the two days? You know the difference between Grills and Britannia when you book, and can accept that some rooms may be required for certain functions at certain times (e.g., world club party)... but to put a public room out of bounds for one group at the expense of others wouldn't sit easy with me

To be honest it was not the whole of Cafe Corinthia it was from the bar to the approx the first column (approx 12ft or so) - obviously this meant the bar was 'out of bounds' for us shorties, but I also notied a trolley laden with goddies e.g. sandwiches, cakes etc. set along the back wall which I assume was for the 'world cruisers' to scoff on as they fancied! I also am not best pleased with the 'feel' of this trip, as I said it does appear we are just 'bed fillers' rather than guests. I have always loved being on the Cunard ships but this has definately been an eye opener for me and in future I will stick to recognised trips and steer clear of these shorties, especially if they are tagged on the end of a world cruise. It is now apparent to me that the two days between Southampton to Hamburg was in the main for the benefit of dropping off those last German guests who had started their world cruise from Hamburg and the two days from Hamburg back to Southampton was just the return trip! Well we live and learn.....

They always have a room set aside for passengers doing the full World Voyage, that's nothing new. It's just a room with some refreshments in it.

I don't begrudge the full world voyage passengers a few sandwiches and some coffee in dedicated room. There are so many rooms on these ships where you can get free coffee and sandwiches, hardly something to get miffed about. :)

They always have a room set aside for passengers doing the full World Voyage, that's nothing new. It's just a room with some refreshments in it.

I don't begrudge the full world voyage passengers a few sandwiches and some coffee in dedicated room. There are so many rooms on these ships where you can get free coffee and sandwiches, hardly something to get miffed about. :)

I too would be "miffed" if the Café Corinthia had a roped off area with refreshments just for one particular group of passengers. The Care is a public area, I am sure there is a room somewhere on board that is seldom used that the World Cruise passengers could use.

I know there are areas like QG lounge that are "exclusive", no problem with that they pay for that privilege, but blatantly displaying a discriminating notice in such a public area is unacceptable IMO.

Saladmuncher

You are correct in feeling that the 4 day trip is just a "bed- filler". Cunard do cut back on almost everything, parties, food, entertainment.

I have never done a 4 day as a cruise on its own, but I have been on board for a 4 day "in between" transatlantic trips and noticed immediately how different the whole ship felt during those 4 days.

On one trip, my room steward changed at Southampton ,when my room was cleaned that day, the toiletries were removed. The new steward said he did not know I was doing more than "just the four days". I thought then how petty and mean this was of Cunard.

They were replaced the day we started the 7 day TA.

Saladmuncher

You are correct in feeling that the 4 day trip is just a "bed- filler". Cunard do cut back on almost everything, parties, food, entertainment.

I have never done a 4 day as a cruise on its own, but I have been on board for a 4 day "in between" transatlantic trips and noticed immediately how different the whole ship felt during those 4 days.

On one trip, my room steward changed at Southampton ,when my room was cleaned that day, the toiletries were removed. The new steward said he did not know I was doing more than "just the four days". I thought then how petty and mean this was of Cunard.

They were replaced the day we started the 7 day TA.

I've done three four day cruises and one five day cruise and don't recall any specific difference to being on a longer cruise. We always had the full compliment of toiletries.

Maybe it was more down to your steward regarding your toiletries than Cunard. I often wonder what happens to unused toiletries and slippers and the pen and notepad on the desk. Maybe some stewards keep them.

I've done three four day cruises and one five day cruise and don't recall any specific difference to being on a longer cruise. We always had the full compliment of toiletries.

Maybe it was more down to your steward regarding your toiletries than Cunard. I often wonder what happens to unused toiletries and slippers and the pen and notepad on the desk. Maybe some stewards keep them.

Maybe he sent them home as a gift.

I always take my own so it was not a problem, I just felt that passengers who had "just been doing the 4 days" were still entitled to receive these little perks.

Maybe he sent them home as a gift.

I always take my own so it was not a problem, I just felt that passengers who had "just been doing the 4 days" were still entitled to receive these little perks.

I totally agree with you. It might only be a 'short' cruise or a 'Getaway' journey to Cunard, but I am sure for many this could be their only holiday and as such they should have the right to the same experiences as any other passenger, be it a 'world cruiser' or a normal 12 - 14 days jaunt.The 5 night Spring Getaway to Hamburg / Le Havre was the first short trip I have taken with Cunard, and I did notice quite a different atmosphere on board than on any of the longer trips I have taken, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, many of the 'extras' were missing making the trip, in my opinon, a lesser experience. :(

Archived