New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

I hope I'm not seeing a trend here. 1st the Italian restaurant was gutted, and the continued deterioration of Cagney's. I hope they don't make "improvement" to Le Bistro.

You better believe Le Bistro is next. The bean counters just cannot help themselves. The menu will be improved (gutted) and the price will increase.

You better believe Le Bistro is next. The bean counters just cannot help themselves. The menu will be improved (gutted) and the price will increase.

Would that be surprising? I think not

Suzanne

Just off the Jewel's NYC to LA 17 day repo. We ate at Cagney's with the new menu. We were unimpressed. The steaks were okay, but not any better than what we can get at home at Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn.

The appetizers were disappointing. The Mexican Caesar Salad was the same lettuce and dressing as the Caesar in the MDR. It was served without croutons, but in a greasy, fried, flour tortilla "bowl." The shrimp cocktail was just three shrimp, shredded iceberg lettuce and cocktail sauce. The Baked Potato Soup was flat tasting. The Lump Crab Salad had too much mayo and not enough crab. We got two baskets of the Garlic Herb Rolls. The first time, they were served soft and warm and were positively yummy! We requested a second basket, which we had to ask for twice. When the arrived they were hard and not warm.

The steaks themselves were properly cooked and tender. The grill is just not hot enough, though, to give them a proper sear on the outside. They were browned, but there was no char or crust at all. The five ounce filet was good; when we were done with the eighteen ounce bone in ribeye, there was at least eight ounces of bone and gristle left on the plate.

The side dishes were pretty standard. We had Gratin Potatoes, Creamed Corn, Broccoli, Roasted Mushrooms and Onion Rings. I could see into the kitchen and the onion rings came frozen and pre-breaded right out of a food service box. I would think that for thirty dollars a person, they could do a little better than that. And where is the Creamed Spinach?!?!

The desserts were okay. We had the Apple Cardamom Crisp and the Macadamia Ice Cream Sandwich. The crisp was good. It came out warm and was a big portion. The shortbread cookies on the sandwich were too crisp to cut with utensils. We tried picking the whole thing up, but they were too hard to bite through. The only way to eat it was to lift off the cookies and eat them separately from the ice cream. Why serve it that way in the first place?

The service was fine. Every table received the same pre-planned spiel about suggested cocktails to order and why the new Angus beef was the best beef on the high seas. The timing was right (except for the rolls) and we felt well cared for. I wouldn't say it was exceptional.

After eating here (and at Mama's one night with four other people), I would have to say it was not worth the money for the specialty restaurants. After fifteen dinners in the MDRs, as well as several lunches and breakfasts, we agreed that we are quite happy with that experience and would stick with it in the future. The sentiment is often posted here on CC that NCL has made the MDRs bad to push people into the specialty restaurants. On the contrary, we did not feel they were worth the extra cost at all.

Just off the Jewel's NYC to LA 17 day repo. We ate at Cagney's with the new menu. We were unimpressed. The steaks were okay, but not any better than what we can get at home at Texas Roadhouse or Longhorn.

The appetizers were disappointing. The Mexican Caesar Salad was the same lettuce and dressing as the Caesar in the MDR. It was served without croutons, but in a greasy, fried, flour tortilla "bowl." The shrimp cocktail was just three shrimp, shredded iceberg lettuce and cocktail sauce. The Baked Potato Soup was flat tasting. The Lump Crab Salad had too much mayo and not enough crab. We got two baskets of the Garlic Herb Rolls. The first time, they were served soft and warm and were positively yummy! We requested a second basket, which we had to ask for twice. When the arrived they were hard and not warm.

The steaks themselves were properly cooked and tender. The grill is just not hot enough, though, to give them a proper sear on the outside. They were browned, but there was no char or crust at all. The five ounce filet was good; when we were done with the eighteen ounce bone in ribeye, there was at least eight ounces of bone and gristle left on the plate.

The side dishes were pretty standard. We had Gratin Potatoes, Creamed Corn, Broccoli, Roasted Mushrooms and Onion Rings. I could see into the kitchen and the onion rings came frozen and pre-breaded right out of a food service box. I would think that for thirty dollars a person, they could do a little better than that. And where is the Creamed Spinach?!?!

The desserts were okay. We had the Apple Cardamom Crisp and the Macadamia Ice Cream Sandwich. The crisp was good. It came out warm and was a big portion. The shortbread cookies on the sandwich were too crisp to cut with utensils. We tried picking the whole thing up, but they were too hard to bite through. The only way to eat it was to lift off the cookies and eat them separately from the ice cream. Why serve it that way in the first place?

The service was fine. Every table received the same pre-planned spiel about suggested cocktails to order and why the new Angus beef was the best beef on the high seas. The timing was right (except for the rolls) and we felt well cared for. I wouldn't say it was exceptional.

After eating here (and at Mama's one night with four other people), I would have to say it was not worth the money for the specialty restaurants. After fifteen dinners in the MDRs, as well as several lunches and breakfasts, we agreed that we are quite happy with that experience and would stick with it in the future. The sentiment is often posted here on CC that NCL has made the MDRs bad to push people into the specialty restaurants. On the contrary, we did not feel they were worth the extra cost at all.

Thank you for your thoughtful and well written review.

Thank you for the review! We leave in 8 days on the Pride of America and are booked at Cagney's the first night. I'm looking to try the new menu and, for POA, Cagney's is a new venue (replacing their old steakhouse). Will report back -

Looks like the Vegetarian Saffron Casserole is gone, too. Sad. That was delicious! One of the best meals I've ever had, anywhere. I'm a vegetarian and my husband loves steak, so the casserole was the perfect option so we could both enjoy Cagney's. Unless I'm missing it, there doesn't seem to be any vegetarian options on the menu anymore. Oh well. We'll still enjoy Cagney's for breakfasts!

~ Tanya

One other question re Cagney's breakfast menu...do they still have the crab cakes? Maybe I missed it earlier in the post, so if anyone has eaten at Cagney's since the dinner menu change, can you reassure us crab cakes are still available for breakfast? Thanks!

Thank you for the review! We leave in 8 days on the Pride of America and are booked at Cagney's the first night. I'm looking to try the new menu and, for POA, Cagney's is a new venue (replacing their old steakhouse). Will report back -

Just back from POA 5/4. Here is the information re changes during drydock including changing Lazy J's to Cagney's Steakhouse. Old/original menu prevails, at least for the time being...some photos and menu selections included:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1840538

One other question re Cagney's breakfast menu...do they still have the crab cakes? Maybe I missed it earlier in the post, so if anyone has eaten at Cagney's since the dinner menu change, can you reassure us crab cakes are still available for breakfast? Thanks!

Suite breakfast and lunch menus unchanged. Crab cakes eggs Benedict still available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Suite breakfast and lunch menus unchanged. Crab cakes eggs Benedict still available.

Now you've just made this girl very happy! Love the crab cakes Benedict!!;)

Missing the Grilled Ahi Burger for lunch...swordfish just isn't the same. Cary, now on vacation but usual POA HD, also agrees ;)

Missing the Grilled Ahi Burger for lunch...swordfish just isn't the same. Cary, now on vacation but usual POA HD, also agrees ;)

Grilled Ahi Burger for lunch has been gone for my last two cruises :(

I haven't tried the swordfish...just wouldn't be the same.

Grilled Ahi Burger for lunch has been gone for my last two cruises :(

I haven't tried the swordfish...just wouldn't be the same.

I tried it. It was good but no way as good as the tuna. Miss that so much. I would have that every single day for lunch if I could!

I tried it. It was good but no way as good as the tuna. Miss that so much. I would have that every single day for lunch if I could!

A moment of silence now, for the dearly loved and greatly lamented removal of the delectable Grilled Ahi Sandwich...lightly buttered and just barely toasted freshly made bun, a lovely fillet of yummy ahi tuna, grilled to perfection while still pleasingly moist...and not a fishy nuance to be found:

BahamasNCLSkyCagneyslunchSesameAhiTunaBurgerwithremolaudeandwasabi_zpsedaec06e.jpg

A moment of silence now, for the dearly loved and greatly lamented removal of the delectable Grilled Ahi Sandwich...lightly buttered and just barely toasted freshly made bun, a lovely fillet of yummy ahi tuna, grilled to perfection while still pleasingly moist...and not a fishy nuance to be found:

BahamasNCLSkyCagneyslunchSesameAhiTunaBurgerwithremolaudeandwasabi_zpsedaec06e.jpg

Are you really trying to depress me?! Well, at least I still can get my favorite breakfast!! Oh, and I did have that every day for lunch on the last cruise I was on that offered it!! Yummy!!! :o

We are just off Sky and had dinner in Cagney's last night. It was excellent. I had the 8 oz filet medium and that was what was served. No soup ( I will not eat baked potato soup!), salad tasty and sides were good.

DH ordered the lamb; they did serve him spinach (from another restaurant) and mushrooms.

Service was good and I do not know who finds similar meats in Longhorn's:confused:

Thirty dollars pp is high; the incredible thing is that they charge an extra $10 for another entree.

Are you really trying to depress me?! Well, at least I still can get my favorite breakfast!! Oh, and I did have that every day for lunch on the last cruise I was on that offered it!! Yummy!!! :o

My mouth is watering! And they took the oysters Rockefeller off the menu, another favorite of mine. You would think they would do a survey of past customers as to what their favorites are!:confused:

My mouth is watering! And they took the oysters Rockefeller off the menu, another favorite of mine. You would think they would do a survey of past customers as to what their favorites are!:confused:

It would seem that they did a survey of spendy items and took them off the menu.

Why has NCL pulled the new menu from its website under each ship---- the sample menu for Cagneys is the old menu????---I hope they will go back to old real steakhouse menu-

why call it a steakhouse with only 3 cuts: filet, strip, and rib eye--this is not a steak house.

BG

Why has NCL pulled the new menu from its website under each ship---- the sample menu for Cagneys is the old menu????---I hope they will go back to old real steakhouse menu-

why call it a steakhouse with only 3 cuts: filet, strip, and rib eye--this is not a steak house.

BG

Maybe they got enough complaints ????

I can't understand why anyone misses the frozen oysters often served still cold in the center. ;)

Mine were never cold in the center, if anything they were too hot to eat!:eek: