Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

• 2 weeks later...
Wendy - in February, they are putting us on United via San Francisco.

Hope you guys had a good time up in Florence.

Just beginning to think about a possible New Zealand cruise, so thanks. We would be flying from Florida, most likely.

Yes, we had an awesome time in Florence. I haven't posted a review yet of our land port in Rome and Florence, but I will be, on fodors.com. I hadn't been to Italy in 45 years, and David had never been there--loved it, despite the crowds.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 2 months later...

We are using Regent's Business air on our trip to Asia in March. There is just one leg that we can't get decent seats in Business class, so I am thinking about contacting the airline to see if I can use mileage to upgrade to first class for just that one leg.

Has anyone done that, or is it possible?

We are using Regent's Business air on our trip to Asia in March. There is just one leg that we can't get decent seats in Business class, so I am thinking about contacting the airline to see if I can use mileage to upgrade to first class for just that one leg.

Has anyone done that, or is it possible?

Highly doubt you will be able to do that. Costs nothing to ask the airline but your ticker have to have been purchased and that will be no more than about 75 days before departure

Might work if you first pay regent to purchase an upgradable ticket but then you have the added $$ plus points plus possibly the $175 pp deviation fee. Think your chances are about 1 out of 100 but nothing nothing gained

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by rallydave

More of an FYI than anything else:

Just upgraded from business to first last night for flights from Boston - Venice Athens - Boston (both through Heathrow) for my October trip on Voyager. Appears they charged air deviations although the website says that should not happen on an upgrade. Hopefully will get that fixed on Monday but just want people to be aware to pay attention to your billing! :)

Ended up using BA which is ok for first - wish the seats were a little larger on their Club Europe leg.

~Jar

More of an FYI than anything else:

Just upgraded from business to first last night for flights from Boston - Venice Athens - Boston (both through Heathrow) for my October trip on Voyager. Appears they charged air deviations although the website says that should not happen on an upgrade. Hopefully will get that fixed on Monday but just want people to be aware to pay attention to your billing! :)

Ended up using BA which is ok for first - wish the seats were a little larger on their Club Europe leg.

~Jar

Interesting situation. I have not heard of Regent allowing upgrades from Business to First class on international flights (this does occur, however, on domestic flights they do this all of the time - usually for more money than, it would cost to do it yourself).

In terms of the deviation, are you a departing a day earlier or leaving the last port a day later? This would trigger a deviation fee. Also, if you are not in a concierge or above suite and therefore are not eligible for Regent's pre-cruise hotel, if you do not arrive the day of embarkation, this also triggers a deviation fee.

Do you mind sharing the cost for upgrading from Business to First on your flight from Boston?

We are booked on the Bangkok to Athens Greece leaving 4/28. By chance, I went to the Regent site to review our dinner reservations, I had only made 1 of the 6. I happened to notice that our air reservations had been made. I thought it was odd that I did not receive notice from Regent and only by happenstance that I discovered they had been made.:confused: We are flying from MSP to DFW then to BKK ( we stop in Japan). Although the reservations are made there are no seat assignments. We are booked in a concierge suite so If I am correct in my assumptions we will be traveling business class and as international travelers, we will have access to AA's lounge. At least on Delta we have access. Just trying to see how far off base I am.

thanks for your replies.

John

We are booked on the Bangkok to Athens Greece leaving 4/28. By chance, I went to the Regent site to review our dinner reservations, I had only made 1 of the 6. I happened to notice that our air reservations had been made. I thought it was odd that I did not receive notice from Regent and only by happenstance that I discovered they had been made.:confused: We are flying from MSP to DFW then to BKK ( we stop in Japan). Although the reservations are made there are no seat assignments. We are booked in a concierge suite so If I am correct in my assumptions we will be traveling business class and as international travelers, we will have access to AA's lounge. At least on Delta we have access. Just trying to see how far off base I am.

thanks for your replies.

John

According to the RSSC website, think your cruise is April 8 and is Business Class for all passengers. It should show Business on the Regent site and perhaps the abbreviation may not be familiar to you. Assuming there is a booking locator on the reservation, you should be able to go to the airlines website and get your seat assignments. Otherwise without that locator you should phone the airline(s) you are flying and give the agent your names, flight number and dates and they should be able to both provide your locator number as well as provide your seat assignments. From your routing, would guess you will be on Ameican at least to Japan and then either Japan airlines, Cathay Pacific or american depending on your routing. They will all show a AA Flight number but code share. If you post your itinerary, I can tell you which airline (metal) you will be flying. As to your question about using the club, you won't get that priviledge before your flight to Dallas even in First Class but, will for the other 2 flights. US airlines for domestic flights do not allow club use for First class domestic flights. Have a wonderful cruise.

thanks for your replies.

John

Hi John - I checked the RSSC.com website and did not see your itinerary listed for Business Class flights https://www.rssc.com/specials/details.aspx?Id=cc1a77d5-0837-41e5-9f96-e338b67761c3 . You may want to check this out with your TA. It was my understanding that the Business Class flights for all levels of suites begin this summer but there obviously are some listed that are Business Class as the result of specials.

American Airlines can be weird about access to their lounges (we typically avoid them and use other lounges). Although domestic flights do not typically provide access to their lounges, usually when you have a connecting flight to an international destination (other than Canada, Mexico, etc.), you can use the lounge.

Did you book this cruise directly with Regent? Typically your TA would be the one to forward your flight information to you. You can call either Regent Air or your TA to get the Locator number (alternatively you can call the airline and could end up on hold for a while). It sounds as if either Regent or your TA dropped the ball on this one.

You do have a wonderful itinerary. Enjoy every moment of your cruise!

Jackie

Edited by Travelcat2

Hi Dave & Jackie, sorry it took so long to reply. All is well now.:) It seems that Regent did not inform our TA as of 10:30 PT 1/30, The Regent Air staff said they had sent everything out, (we have been using our TA for a long time so I don't believe it was him) I had sent him an e-mail on 1/29 explaining what had happened. I figured out how to deciphered AA's terminology for the flight. I changed our seats for MSP and DFW to move forward from row 10 to row 2. I could not change the Tokyo to BKK. All I could get from AA was a voice recording which would not let me change seats. :( I called Regent and they quickly changed our seat assignments.

Now I need to reserve our dinner reservations. We have 6 selections, I made 2 and now it won't let me make any more. We have time I will let Regent figured it out in a couple of days.

Thanks for the help

John

Hi Dave & Jackie, sorry it took so long to reply. All is well now.:) It seems that Regent did not inform our TA as of 10:30 PT 1/30, The Regent Air staff said they had sent everything out, (we have been using our TA for a long time so I don't believe it was him) I had sent him an e-mail on 1/29 explaining what had happened. I figured out how to deciphered AA's terminology for the flight. I changed our seats for MSP and DFW to move forward from row 10 to row 2. I could not change the Tokyo to BKK. All I could get from AA was a voice recording which would not let me change seats. :( I called Regent and they quickly changed our seat assignments.

Now I need to reserve our dinner reservations. We have 6 selections, I made 2 and now it won't let me make any more. We have time I will let Regent figured it out in a couple of days.

Thanks for the help

John

Glad you were able to work things out John. Relatively sure you will be on a code share flight from Tokyo to Bangkock and why the AA website would not let you change seats as another airline operates that flight.

I suggest you check the information on the Regent site or contact AA and ask which airline operates that flight which should make it easier for you to fine after arrival in Tokyo. Generally those high 4 digit flight numbers signify a different airline is operating the flight and you have to look for their gate rather the gate of the airline on your ticket. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Glad you were able to work things out John. Relatively sure you will be on a code share flight from Tokyo to Bangkock and why the AA website would not let you change seats as another airline operates that flight.
AA does not operate equipment between NRT and BKK. Given oneWorld alliances, you will be on JAL for that segment.
I suggest you check the information on the Regent site or contact AA and ask which airline operates that flight which should make it easier for you to fine after arrival in Tokyo. Generally those high 4 digit flight numbers signify a different airline is operating the flight and you have to look for their gate rather the gate of the airline on your ticket. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.
The operating carrier must be disclosed on all air travel reservations and tickets, per USA law. So that info has already been provided - you just need to look beyond the marketing carrier to the operating carrier, which between NRT and BKK should be JAL.

Get the appropriate record locator for each operating carrier's flights, and then you can directly access the flight from that carrier's site. If you have difficulty getting that locator, you can reference through the 13 digit e-ticket number.

• 2 months later...

we are booked on explorer in oct bareclona to venice. Leaving out of sfo. was wondering if some of the air experts here might have an idea as to how we will be booked. I hope SFO to Europe as to not endure a long coach flight. Our first trip on regent and we are rolling the dice as to air

We are getting ready to book a cruise on Regent for a trip out of Venice. We would like to arrive about 10 days before the Regent cruise leaves so we can explore the area. We will have free business air through Regent from Phoenix. Question: Will Regent allow us to take an earlier flight to accommodate our pre-cruise plans? Also, can an individual give Regent air a sample of flights that work best for them and will Regent select from this list, if reasonable?

we are booked on explorer in oct bareclona to venice. Leaving out of sfo. was wondering if some of the air experts here might have an idea as to how we will be booked. I hope SFO to Europe as to not endure a long coach flight. Our first trip on regent and we are rolling the dice as to air

Really no way to tell, could be non-stop or could be to the east coast and then to Europe. Really depends on where Regent can get the lowest priced tickets. If you really care, you can deviate for $175 pp and choose your flights and times and you might get them a no additional cost or perhaps an additional charge.

Most of us here strongly recommend going at least a day early to avoid any possible issues, especially when going overseas. Plus gives you sometime to overcome jetlag at least some. Remember, while Regent might help you if you have flight problems arriving in Barcelona, officially they are not responsible to get you to the ship or have the ship wait for you. Getting to Barcelona after the ship leaves could add costs to get to the next port to start your cruise.

We are getting ready to book a cruise on Regent for a trip out of Venice. We would like to arrive about 10 days before the Regent cruise leaves so we can explore the area. We will have free business air through Regent from Phoenix. Question: Will Regent allow us to take an earlier flight to accommodate our pre-cruise plans? Also, can an individual give Regent air a sample of flights that work best for them and will Regent select from this list, if reasonable?

To deviate from arrival on the day the ship departs and head home on the day the cruise ends, you have to pay a deviation fee of $175 pp. This allows you to do what you are asking for and deviations start 280 days prior to your departure so the earlier the better to get the flights an days you want to travel. You only pay the fee once you and Regent agree on flights. There also could be up charges for your chosen flights but, you are free to keep trying until you get the flights you want and you then immediately pay the non-refundable deviation free. Remember, the air is not really "free" but, included. You are paying for the air as part of the cruise fare. You can also take a credit to your cruise fare of about $3000 pp and book your own flights if you choose.

Best to analyze what you can get a ticket for after the credit and compare it to paying the deviation plus any possible upcharge for your chosen flights. Also many people tack the credit and use FF miles thus saving. Each situation is different and the prudent cruiser performs an analysis to see what is best for them on this particular cruise.

Hope this helps,

Need to add that you pay the deviation fee once ..... unless you make a change and then your pay the deviation fee again!

As someone who deviates all the time, I am familiar with how the deviation works. We give our first and second choice of airlines and flights to our TA (strongly urge you to use a TA that has expertise with Regent). Since we are fairly familiar with which airlines Regent contracts with, we generally get our first choice). Alternatively, you can call Regent directly.

Keep in mind that you will forfeit transportation to the ship by deviating. There are several things to consider. Hopefully your TA will give you better advice than you could receive on CC).

P.S. Since you are "ready" to book a cruise...... please spend some time looking for a TA that specializes in luxury cruising. They are a wealth of information and will save you a lot of time. Booking through Regent (or any cruise line) is fine but Regent will likely not tell you which suites to avoid as they want to sell every suite. TA's are looking out for your best interest and can provide benefits that Regent does not provide.

Really no way to tell, could be non-stop or could be to the east coast and then to Europe. Really depends on where Regent can get the lowest priced tickets. If you really care, you can deviate for $175 pp and choose your flights and times and you might get them a no additional cost or perhaps an additional charge.

Most of us here strongly recommend going at least a day early to avoid any possible issues, especially when going overseas. Plus gives you sometime to overcome jetlag at least some. Remember, while Regent might help you if you have flight problems arriving in Barcelona, officially they are not responsible to get you to the ship or have the ship wait for you. Getting to Barcelona after the ship leaves could add costs to get to the next port to start your cruise.

Thanks dave,

We will be going to Barcelona a few days early and we do have 1 night pre departure hotel inc I will contact my TA tomorrow to start the process of additional hotel and flight deviation and see whats available. Just wanted an idea from the more experienced here as to what I might expect with regent air as I see after [lurking here] that most book their own flights. Thanks again

Need to add that you pay the deviation fee once ..... unless you make a change and then your pay the deviation fee again!

As someone who deviates all the time, I am familiar with how the deviation works. We give our first and second choice of airlines and flights to our TA (strongly urge you to use a TA that has expertise with Regent). Since we are fairly familiar with which airlines Regent contracts with, we generally get our first choice). Alternatively, you can call Regent directly.

Keep in mind that you will forfeit transportation to the ship by deviating. There are several things to consider. Hopefully your TA will give you better advice than you could receive on CC).

P.S. Since you are "ready" to book a cruise...... please spend some time looking for a TA that specializes in luxury cruising. They are a wealth of information and will save you a lot of time. Booking through Regent (or any cruise line) is fine but Regent will likely not tell you which suites to avoid as they want to sell every suite. TA's are looking out for your best interest and can provide benefits that Regent does not provide.

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

We live in Arizona so American Airlines will be our major airline and I believe Regent uses AA. Our TA has a call into Regent, they are trying to coordinate our pre-cruise itinerary with the actual cruise.

• 1 month later...

Just an aside - really puzzled by Regent's flight arrangements/contract process. Less than 11 months from our HK - Bangkok cruise yet they can't provide access to business class flights with BA on the day we need to go. As they also have not yet got a contract with Cathay Pacific for April 2018 that is not an option.

Consequently, we are now having to book an extra night in HK - because they can access business class the day before ( and the day after!) we need to travel. It is just bizarre tbh.