Polycarbonate Luggage - opinions please

Looking to buy some "IT " brand 100% polycarbonate luggage (4 wheel type). This material is used to reinforce windows in armoured cars. Also you're supposed to be able to stand on a suitcase with no worries as it just bounces back.

I'd just like to hear from users before I commit. Thanks everyone.

They are strong, but the ones we considered were much heavier than soft-sided luggage. We felt the weight was very important because airlines have become stricter on luggage weights and we try to avoid paying for excess luggage.

I realise some are heavier. This one weighs 3.45kg for the large 78.5 x 53 x 27.5, as opposed to our current soft siders (same size) that weigh 4.7kg.

I gave up on the brand name bags...no matter how strong they are the wheels are still vulnerable..and the cruise lines test any suitcase to breaking point. I bought two poly cases in HK on my way through..bright colours so I can instantly recognise my bags in a sea of black bags. I only travel with medium suitcase and international size carry on..anything bigger is too much of a nuiscence. Think I paid $90usd in total.I take a soft collapsible bag or backpack for overflow or souvenirs..the more I travel the less I take. But I still end up looking like a Himalayan porter...

I also think brand name cases attract the attention of those who wish to relieve you of possessions.

Sue

Any luggage is only as good as the hardware that keeps it closed.

I have had wheels come off, locks break off, catches come loose, and zips open up.:eek:....and thats on top of the damage from rough handling.:mad:

My first hard suitcase was an international traveller and I think I have had it for about 10 years now. It is scuffed but had no cracks or anything. Now have another which is an Antler. Did buy an Aldi one for about $50 and it isn't worth it. Survived the flight to NZ but arrived in our cabin with a big crack in the corner.

My first hard suitcase was an international traveller and I think I have had it for about 10 years now. It is scuffed but had no cracks or anything. Now have another which is an Antler. Did buy an Aldi one for about $50 and it isn't worth it. Survived the flight to NZ but arrived in our cabin with a big crack in the corner.

That's a reassuring wrap for the "IT" brand. Thanks ADF:)

You have to wonder why the manufacturers attach a 10 year warranty to their product.:rolleyes: Maybe the small print excludes airport/cruiseline baggage handling.

Yet another reason to have travel insurance.

I think you will find the warranty only covers "faults in manufacture". :(

We have 2 "IT" cases. They have so far survived 6 cruises, and flights to get to them. Also 3 return flights from/to NZ.

The only damage to date, one wonky wheel!!

Now I know I will regret making this comment next time out!!!!

We have 2 "IT" cases. They have so far survived 6 cruises, and flights to get to them. Also 3 return flights from/to NZ.

The only damage to date, one wonky wheel!!

Now I know I will regret making this comment next time out!!!!

Sounds like a pretty good track record Pete.;)

Hope you and Norma are keeping well,

Cheers,

Anna

Looking to buy some "IT " brand 100% polycarbonate luggage (4 wheel type). This material is used to reinforce windows in armoured cars. Also you're supposed to be able to stand on a suitcase with no worries as it just bounces back.

I'd just like to hear from users before I commit. Thanks everyone.

Just be aware that the 4 wheel type luggage is not the best for rail/bus travel, as they love to take off on their own! :)

I have a 24 inch Helsey bag that has two equal halves and a set of two all around zippers that allow the bag to lay flat (and expand by at least 2 inches). My complaint with this bag (bought for less than $100 US) is that it takes alot of room to pack and unpack as both sides must be supported or if you use the floor then you need a fairly large area. You end up (if you are an old stiffy like me) having to put it on the bed. I prefer being able to place the bag on a luggage stand or table. I also found that it is helpful to put undies, socks and smaller pieces in a plastic bag. TSA or security often let small items fall out as they try to open the suitcase for inspection. I have several suitcases and choose the one I want for each trip. I seem to leave the little red polycarbonate at home and take my 25 inch fabric duffle bag with wheels. Holds more for my 50 pound limit and easier to pack/unpack and live out of than the clamshell model.

PS on a cruise I find it easy to put the clamshell under the bed open. Shoes, papers, etc or even dirty clothes can be thrown in to be dealt with on that sad leaving/pack up day.

PS on a cruise I find it easy to put the clamshell under the bed open. Shoes, papers, etc or even dirty clothes can be thrown in to be dealt with on that sad leaving/pack up day.

Now that's a top idea...thanks :). ... in case they don't tuck in under the bed.

Archived