Separate 7 day vegetarian menu?

junglejane

The website states: "We offer a separate 7-day Vegetarian Menu, in addition to vegetarian dishes on the standard Main Restaurant menu which are designated by a leaf icon." http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_special_dietary_needs_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_special_dietary_needs

We saw the separate vegetarian menu on our March 10 Silhouette cruise, and it was a huge hit with our 16 year old DD. However, others have come back from recent cruises on Infinity and Solstice and report being told that no such menu was available. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38130860#post38130860 (specifically, see posts #43 and 44). Is there a problem with availability of the menu on all ships?

The website does indeed say there is a "separate 7 day vegetarian menu" available in addition to the items marked with a leaf in the menu. My partner is a vegetarian so he was excited.

However, we sailed on the Reflection December 5-15, 2012 and March 23-30, 2013 and I can tell you that we were told that they do not offer separate a vegetarian menu. We were told that the “website has not been updated and those menu’s are only offered on other Solstice ships.” The next to last night of our March cruise, we happened to meet the restaurant manager. I think his name was Kamal (he was previously on the Eclipse) who told us they did have a vegetarian menu. In fact, a copy of it was delivered to our room that evening. I only wish the wait staff on the ship was aware of it.

I don’t know if this is so much of a web innovation issue but it surely points reinforces other posts that that there is often a disconnect between what is advertised on the website and what is know on the ships. (Another example, movies on the iPads offered with the Alcoves…they do not have movies on them, at least on the Reflection. We rented an Alcove for two days. We were told by Jordan (Manager of the Lawn Club) that the movies take up too much space on the iPads so they were never loaded. The website should be updated.)

Edited by ken85121

Edit: I know why it was moved now, Tina Alexander is only taking questions about the website.

Thanks ken85121, so the staff say no and the Manager says yes, cue music to Soap, confused.......you will be.

Edited by dwhe

Well, there is definitely a disconnect between what the website says (separate 7 day vegetarian menu available) and what is happening in practice. So what else is new?

I guess the best we can do is recommend that, if your waiter tells you there's no such menu, ask to speak to the Maitre D'. If he or she says no such menu, move up the chain to the Food & Beverage Manager (or whatever it's called) or Hotel Director. I have to agree with something Anandaindonesia said on the original thread, which is X shouldn't advertise something on the website and then not deliver it.

• 4 weeks later...

Having just got off of the Reflection I can report that there is a separate vegetarian menu which was brought to us upon request.

When my wife had problems with what was on the menus they offered to make what ever she wanted, you can't get fairer than that.

Very impressed Celebrity.

The website does indeed say there is a "separate 7 day vegetarian menu" available in addition to the items marked with a leaf in the menu. My partner is a vegetarian so he was excited.

However, we sailed on the Reflection December 5-15, 2012 and March 23-30, 2013 and I can tell you that we were told that they do not offer separate a vegetarian menu. We were told that the “website has not been updated and those menu’s are only offered on other Solstice ships.” The next to last night of our March cruise, we happened to meet the restaurant manager. I think his name was Kamal (he was previously on the Eclipse) who told us they did have a vegetarian menu. In fact, a copy of it was delivered to our room that evening. I only wish the wait staff on the ship was aware of it.

I don’t know if this is so much of a web innovation issue but it surely points reinforces other posts that that there is often a disconnect between what is advertised on the website and what is know on the ships. (Another example, movies on the iPads offered with the Alcoves…they do not have movies on them, at least on the Reflection. We rented an Alcove for two days. We were told by Jordan (Manager of the Lawn Club) that the movies take up too much space on the iPads so they were never loaded. The website should be updated.)

To: ken85121

Do you happen to have a copy of the vegetarian menu that you could scan and post? This would be of great interest to me and, I expect, others. I am interested in knowing what kinds of vegetarian main dishes might be offered.

We were brought the Vegetarian menu every night (Reflection).

On night 7 I think it was, the Restaurant Manager was showing us to our table when he asked how we liked the food & service. My wife said she was a little disappointed (emphasis on the little) in the vegetarian choices.

He asked her to name what ever she wanted and they would prepare it, you can't get fairer than that.

My advice if there is nothing for you to eat, ask the waiter what alternatives they can prepare, If, as seems to be happening, the waiter claims ignorance ask to see the Manager because the Waiter is wrong.

Summit did not have a separate vegetarian menu. I asked.
They told us on the Summit that the vegetarian menu was Incorporated into the regular menu.

Is it possible this separate menu is only available on the Solstice Class ships?

Edited by richstowe

To: ken85121

Do you happen to have a copy of the vegetarian menu that you could scan and post? This would be of great interest to me and, I expect, others. I am interested in knowing what kinds of vegetarian main dishes might be offered.

Take a look at this post by AlanAllyn: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36292929&postcount=1

This is the same as what we were offered on the Silhouette in March.

They told us on the Summit that the vegetarian menu was Incorporated into the regular menu.

Is it possible this separate menu is only available on the Solstice Class ships?

AlanAllyn was on the Century, which is not a Solstice class ship. I think this is just another example of Celebrity Corporate rolling out something (like the smart casual dress code in the specialty restaurants) and putting it on the website, but experiencing an inconsistent implementation by the people on the front lines. If I were on an M-class ship (or any X ship) and was told by my waiter there was no vegetarian menu, I'd definitely take it up with the Maitre D' or Food & Beverage Director.

Edited by junglejane

Just off the Silhouette, I sat with a lady a couple of nights who was a vegetarian. They only ever brought her the regular menu to choose from and just made alterations as available. I actually felt bad for her because I felt she had very limited options. We are not big meat eaters and I had seen a post a while back of an all vegetarian menu. I would of loved to of seen that on our cruise, I think it gives more options to the non meat eaters. Possibly having the 2 menus was a kitchen nightmare for the cruise line. I wish they would address the vegetarians and vegans a little better, if a whole menu is not possible a couple more options, especially of the entres would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Just off the Silhouette, I sat with a lady a couple of nights who was a vegetarian. They only ever brought her the regular menu to choose from and just made alterations as available. I actually felt bad for her because I felt she had very limited options. We are not big meat eaters and I had seen a post a while back of an all vegetarian menu. I would of loved to of seen that on our cruise, I think it gives more options to the non meat eaters. Possibly having the 2 menus was a kitchen nightmare for the cruise line. I wish they would address the vegetarians and vegans a little better, if a whole menu is not possible a couple more options, especially of the entres would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

That's just maddening, because we were on the Silhouette in March and they definitely had the separate 7 day vegetarian menu. It had all the items listed in the link on my Post #11 above. It's impossible to explain this as anything other than poor implementation by Celebrity.

That's just maddening, because we were on the Silhouette in March and they definitely had the separate 7 day vegetarian menu. It had all the items listed in the link on my Post #11 above. It's impossible to explain this as anything other than poor implementation by Celebrity.

Ships seem to make up their own version of "corporate policy" and things that they cant' change because "corporate made that decision". Since their web site has so many omissions and errors, it's hard for anyone to believe that the web states the official policy...but it's the only fall back.

Ultimately, if you have a problem, find the hotel director, sit him down at his terminal and make him read Celebrity's web page. If he says that's not the policy ask him to call the person in Celebrity HQ who told him that's the policy (on his phone)....etc. You probably won't get anywhere, but it's something to do on a rainy day....consider it a ship activity....

On Silhouette April 29. I'm a veg except for seafood.

In the main dining room select dining waiters and assistants were so overwhelmed with diners and running desperately to keep everyone happy. I was always able to find something terrific on the regular menu. When I mentioned a couple times to waiters that I was veg, they almost always offered to get me a veg menu. But never needed to see it- love seafood and pasta). The one poor meal I chose, our waiter caught it and almost immediately brought out something fabulous with portobello mushrooms without my asking.

No complaints about being veg on Silhouette.

I'm dismayed to hear of recent vegetarian experiences on Celebrity, especially since I've booked a 10 night Fjord cruise on Infinity without hesitation, partly based on the excellent experience I had on Solstice at the end of 2011 (you can find my report of my dining experience on the Celebrity board; I think someone recently referred to it in one of the threads that are now running).

I'm wondering how many of the disappointed posters prepared for the cruise the way I did for my Solstice cruise, and always do each time I cruise- I've had great success (and been very well fed) for the past few years on different lines by making sure to:

- Contact the special needs department in advance, to let them know I follow a vegan diet. Cruiseline websites usually state that you should contact them 60 days before sailing, but I've had success even with late bookings.

- On the day of embarkation, I wait on line to meet with the maite d. On each cruise, he had my name on a special list, and either reviewed that night's menu with me, or had an assistant review it with me. On two different lines I was told that the first night's meal had already been selected for me, but on subsequent nights the next night's menu would be brought to my table. On Carnival I was brought a regular menu, and as I reviewed it we discussed which selections the chef would be able to adjust to a vegan diet (I really like this method, as I get to eat food that looks similar to my table mates'); Royal was sort of similar to Carnival, but I found I had to give a lot of advice and make some off-menu requests (I also cruised a local cruise line with success). On Solstice I was shown a separate vegetarian menu, and told almost all could be made vegan- and at some point during the cruise I was handed a menu which was labeled as vegan.

- At the buffet- both breakfast and lunch- on all my cruises I approach one of the chefs, identify myself as being a vegan, and ask what I can eat. Without exception, on every cruise, I've had chefs all but tripping over each other to make me something special. On Solstice, the assistant maitre d at the buffet approached me on the second day (and every day after), approached me as I entered the buffet, asked me what I was in the mood for, and invited me to find a seat, and apologized that it would take several minutes until they would bring me my meal.

My experience has been that the chefs want to please the passengers. There is no reason (or excuse!)- especially nowadays when the popularity of vegetarian and vegan diets is rising- for a passenger to find themselves with limited options. You may need to take the initiative, however, but that should be as simple as notifying the cruiseline in advance, and then following up with the maitre d. If I found myself on a cruise feeling that my needs weren't being met, I'd put on my sweetest smile and start working myself up the chain - waiter, to assistant maitre d, to maitre d, to hotel manager, until I got satisfaction- and saity.

(Use your creativity, too- I've found room service and special stations like pizza, pasta, sushi, and Mexican are happy to accommodate special requests. I get cheese less pizza loaded with vegetables, great pasta, and made to order tacos and sushi. I ask them to use a clean knife (and smile while telling them I hope they don't mind if I watch while they prepare my food). Most people seem to know what a vegan is, but I still remind them what I do and do not eat.)

When I first started cruising vegan, I used to bring a few pounds of nuts and dried fruit with me on each cruise. But after my success on Solstice, I felt that was no longer necessary, and I haven't looked back. I hope I don't have to bring 'just in case' foods with me on my Infinity cruise! :eek:

On Silhouette April 29. I'm a veg except for seafood.

In the main dining room select dining waiters and assistants were so overwhelmed with diners and running desperately to keep everyone happy. I was always able to find something terrific on the regular menu. When I mentioned a couple times to waiters that I was veg, they almost always offered to get me a veg menu. But never needed to see it- love seafood and pasta). The one poor meal I chose, our waiter caught it and almost immediately brought out something fabulous with portobello mushrooms without my asking.

No complaints about being veg on Silhouette.

I was on the April 14th and April 29th cruises. I wholeheartedly agree that the select waiters were overwhelmed. In fact I mentioned it in another post and another poster in traditional dining said they found the opposite. A few of the waiters in select had no asst either, I felt very bad for them. As I said the lady I sat with was only offered the one menu and that was at different tables so not just the waiter we had. She was an admitted picky eater and tried to work within her options. Why would they not of offered a vegetarian menu to her if there was one? I do believe Celebrity has an issue here that deserves a second look. I realize there are so many people on board and my hat is off to the crew that cooks for and serves all of us so well, but food allergies, sensitivities and vegan/vegetarians are growing into a large market.

Edited by debandbruce

Take a look at this post by AlanAllyn: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36292929&postcount=1

This is the same as what we were offered on the Silhouette in March.

That was pretty much the "extra" vegetarian menu we had, keep away from the Israeli couscous cake by the way......... bland.

As I said in a earlier post they will go out of their way to help.

• 1 month later...

Since it seems that most ship personnel bend over backwards, even thought there might not (or still might) be a vegetarian menu, why not just take a copy of the menu posted above. If these are meals that others have recently received, I would assume that chefs on most ships would be able to make similar dishes.

I just emailed Celebrity (special_needs) and was informed that there is no separate vegetarian menu.

Who ever you spoke to is wrong, there is a fleet wide Vegetarian menu.

If anyone is told different on board ask to see the Manager.

Edited by dwhe

I just emailed Celebrity (special_needs) and was informed that there is no separate vegetarian menu.

Perhaps you got that response because =X= does not consider vegetarian a "special need." It is handled directly by food services with no notice required.

We were on the Solstice this March and were actually looking forward to enjoy the separate vegetarian menu.

Unfortunately the Assistant Maitre d' told us there was no separate menu and only refer to the LIMITED choices in the regular menu. He did offer to cook 'something else' if the menu is not to our liking, but nobody knows what this 'something else' is until it is brought to our table. We were very disappointed but just choose to make the best of our cruise and enjoy

The cruise is great. I only wish they never promised there is a separate vegetarian menu, we would never hope then.

We should have printed the menu found in CC. Well, hoping there will be a next Celebrity cruise for us!