Quebec City

Cruising Sept. 19 2013. Want a pre-hotel. Any suggestons?

Do you have a budget limit? If not, the Chateau Laurier Hotel...it's the big, castle-like structure overlooking old Quebec that one sees in all the postcards and photos.. It's a Fairmont Hotel, I think, which will give you an idea of its price point!

I recall another one, with a revolving restaurant on top...Leow's Le Concorde. It is just outside the walls of the old city.Not sure of prices, but it isn't a budget one.

Also just outside the walls, even closer than Le Concorde are a Delta Hotel (not part of the airline) and a Hilton, side by side.

Just inside the walls, near the last two I mentioned is a Courtyard by Mariott. We stayed here the last time we were there. It's not bad at all. Parking is nearby, underground, and you can have the car taken there, or do it yourself.

You can also google the main chains ...Hol. Inn, Best Western etc. to see what they have and where. You will want to check out a map of the area to see where all these places are in relation to the old town, both upper and lower.

I am not sure where ships dock. But, most likely to get the best of Vieux Quebec, you will want to be inside or almost inside the walls. You can walk everywhere. Of course, the further away you get from the old town proper, the less the cost of the hotels.

It also depends if you want a hotel in old Quebec proper, just outside it, or in the modern city. (I would assume that you don't want one in modern Quebec.) Inside old Quebec, it is possible to walk everywhere.

You have time enough, to email Quebec Tourism and they will send you brochures.

If you have never been there, you will love it. It's like a little bit of Europe in North America.

Hope I have given you some assistance.

Bill

Do you have a budget limit? If not, the Chateau Laurier Hotel...it's the big, castle-like structure overlooking old Quebec that one sees in all the postcards and photos.. It's a Fairmont Hotel, I think, which will give you an idea of its price point!

I recall another one, with a revolving restaurant on top...Leow's Le Concorde. It is just outside the walls of the old city.Not sure of prices, but it isn't a budget one.

Also just outside the walls, even closer than Le Concorde are a Delta Hotel (not part of the airline) and a Hilton, side by side.

Just inside the walls, near the last two I mentioned is a Courtyard by Mariott. We stayed here the last time we were there. It's not bad at all. Parking is nearby, underground, and you can have the car taken there, or do it yourself.

You can also google the main chains ...Hol. Inn, Best Western etc. to see what they have and where. You will want to check out a map of the area to see where all these places are in relation to the old town, both upper and lower.

I am not sure where ships dock. But, most likely to get the best of Vieux Quebec, you will want to be inside or almost inside the walls. You can walk everywhere. Of course, the further away you get from the old town proper, the less the cost of the hotels.

It also depends if you want a hotel in old Quebec proper, just outside it, or in the modern city. (I would assume that you don't want one in modern Quebec.) Inside old Quebec, it is possible to walk everywhere.

If you have never been there, you will love it. It's like a little bit of Europe in North America.

Bill

Fairmont Chateau Laurier is in Ottawa. The hotel in Quebec City is Fairmont Chateau Frontenac.

Do you have a budget limit? If not, the Chateau Frontenac Hotel...it's the big, castle-like structure overlooking old Quebec that one sees in all the postcards and photos.. It's a Fairmont Hotel, I think, which will give you an idea of its price point!

Bill

Here is a corrected version.

Bill

Chateau Frontenac Hotel...it's the big, castle-like structure overlooking old Quebec that one sees in all the postcards and photos..

it would be a truly a memorable place to stay, it is one of the few 'grand dame' hotels I still have to check off my bucket list. it is pricey so if you book make sure you get a room with a view. call the front desk if you are not sure.

...Leow's Le Concorde. It is just outside the walls of the old city.

my brother stayed there a few years ago, they enjoyed it

Also just outside the walls, even closer than Le Concorde are a Delta Hotel (not part of the airline) and a Hilton, side by side

You can also google the main chains

there are a few of the chains, but you will find more Auberges (Inns) nested in the vieux quebec area. I would opt to jump in and make it a memorable part of your vacation.

I don't think you can really go wrong in any of the Vieux Quebec area.

Major chains (especially restaurants) are not as popular in quebec as you would be accustomed to in the USA.

f you have never been there, you will love it. It's like a little bit of Europe in North America.

Quebec City, more specifically, Vieux Quebec (old Quebec), is a very romantic city, think old Europe, think Paris.

The people of Quebec are friendly (especially in the tourist areas) and do speak english. but just as you would learn a few key words in Italian when you visit Rome, learning a few words of French would greatly help you and would be appreciated by your hosts

Paul

Hi all!

We ended up staying at Chateau Frontenac @ $359 a night when our reservation at Auberge St Pierre ($189) fell through. On our return to Quebec City we did stay there & it was a lovely boutique hotel, right across from a museum in the old Town, had a breakfast included & we could see the ships from our window so could walk to the port. In the area were some lovely places to dine. We ate at Cafe le St Malo & it was lovely, like being in France.

Quebec City & area is beautiful. We took a tour that went to a few places in the countryside including the amazing Basilica Ste Anne de Beaupre, Montmorency Falls, a chocolate place, & a copper business whose founder had done some of the gold work on the Basilica. We really enjoyed it.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi all!

Quebec City & area is beautiful. We took a tour that went to a few places in the countryside including the amazing Basilica Ste Anne de Beaupre, Montmorency Falls, a chocolate place, & a copper business whose founder had done some of the gold work on the Basilica. We really enjoyed it.

Also, should you have a vehicle, Isle d'Orleans, an island in the St. Lawrence River, is not far from Ville de Quebec....it around the area of Montmorency Falls as a matter of fact.(I think about 20-30 miles from Quebec.) You can do a little research, but it showcases some of the early French style houses, and, if I recall properly, some artisans' workshops, places to eat etc. It can be done in a half-day(or longer if you wish.)

Bill

Le Port Royal is close. I would recommend inside the walls the L Hotel du Vieux Quebec. they have a hook on the outside of the door where they hang a basket of pasteries yogurt juices etc and it is great fun to see how much stuff they can get into it. Plus it is right in the middle of the action. Port Royal is down hill from everything except the dock area.

Le Port Royal is close. I would recommend inside the walls the L Hotel du Vieux Quebec. they have a hook on the outside of the door where they hang a basket of pasteries yogurt juices etc and it is great fun to see how much stuff they can get into it. Plus it is right in the middle of the action. Port Royal is down hill from everything except the dock area.

Totally agree. We found this gem several years ago and have been back three times since then.

Highly recommended. They have a "green garden" on the roof!

Front desk staff can't do enough for you.

I stayed at Hotel du Vieux several years ago and would definitely go back. The breakfast basket they hang on your door is charming and there are lots of restaurants in the area.

Hi all!

We ended up staying at Chateau Frontenac @ $359 a night when our reservation at Auberge St Pierre ($189) fell through. On our return to Quebec City we did stay there & it was a lovely boutique hotel, right across from a museum in the old Town, had a breakfast included & we could see the ships from our window so could walk to the port. In the area were some lovely places to dine. We ate at Cafe le St Malo & it was lovely, like being in France.

can you remember who you did your tour through? we are on the Sept 8th sailing and would like to do a private tour.Thanks

HI all!

cottagemama ~ the tour was through oldquebectours.com although we just booked it at the hotel reception. It was a 4 1/2 hour tour (country side tour) by little bus & cost $49.95. Looks like it departed 3 times per day in Sept.

We really enjoyed it.

Another vote for the Hotel Du Vieux Quebec. Charming, clean and within an easy walk to all the sights. Be sure to arrange for the picnic basket breakfast. We stayed there for 2 nights last October prior to our cruise and were very pleased. The very helpful front desk personnel called and reserved our all day tour and we were picked up in front of the hotel. You will fall in live with Old Quebec!

I used to live in Montreal and we loved the Hotel Le Germain-Dominion when staying in Quebec. It is in the old town but in the lower part near the port which is ever so much more fascinating than the upper part of town with its wall to wall tourists. Here, you will see the "real" Quebec city inhabited more by locals than tourists. There are excellent restaurants within steps of the hotel.

You can easily walk all over the old city from the hotel and if the hill to the upper town is too daunting, there is a funicular.

The hotel itself is superb, with great, comfortable rooms in an old building and very friendly multi-lingual staff. It rates highly on TripAdvisor, well ahead of the Chateau.

• 3 weeks later...

Best Western City Centre

330 De La Couronne,

Quebec City, QC, G1K 6E6, Canada

Is this a convenient location for Quebec City? We don't arrive into Quebec City until midnight, so I was worried about such a late check in at the local hotels. We plan to arrive 2 days before our cruise leaves to explore the city and surrounding area. thank you!

Best Western City Centre

330 De La Couronne,

Quebec City, QC, G1K 6E6, Canada

Is this a convenient location for Quebec City? We don't arrive into Quebec City until midnight, so I was worried about such a late check in at the local hotels. We plan to arrive 2 days before our cruise leaves to explore the city and surrounding area. thank you!

Years ago I worked a block away from this hotel. Went to the lunch buffet at the restaurant there, which I seem to remember was pretty good. The area has been 'gentrified' in recent years, although we're still talking downtown. As stated, not right beside the tourist areas, but has direct bus links to both Upper Town (No. 3, stops right beside) and Lower Town (No. 1, a short walk from the hotel), as well as the 'burbs.

We spent 2 nights pre cruise on the Old City and were very happy with our choice because we could easily walk to every thing. Perhaps you might compare the cost of the Best Western with some of the quaint hotels in the old section and then make your reservation. Some suggestions were mentioned earlier in this post and you can also check Trip Advisor for other choices.

Archived