Pacific Mysteries Live report

sacarr

Hi: I sent emails to the 2 tour operators you recommended. Will let u know when they notify me. There are the 2 of us, nonsmokers, and will let anyone know if we want to take another couple with us, thanks, elaine

Some final thoughts about our Oceania Pacific Mysteries cruise. This was a great cruise and probably the best way to visit this part of the world. We have always wanted to visit French Polynesia and Easter Island, and we were excited about Pitcairn. While we were disappointed to miss Pitcairn we understand the situation.

Oceania did not allow embarkation to begin until about 5:30 in the evening of the first day. They had a good plan in place, which was to have guests drop off luggage, check in and get their "world cards" (stateroom key and pass to get on the ship) at the city hall a couple blocks from the pier any time after noon. Then when the ship was opened to new passengers, we could just walk on and to our rooms which were ready. The ship also had a room at the city hall with refreshments for the guests to relax in while waiting to board. We were travelling independently however and none of this (except the fact that embarkation time was at 6 P.M.) was communicated to us by Oceania prior to our arrival. We figured this out from fellow guests we met who had purchased Oceania's hotel and transfer packages.

From the moment we embarked however, everything was fine. We were on Marina this summer and I believe that a few changes had been made to her. This is an elegant ship beautifully decorated and appointed. We stayed in 11073. Our luggage was at the door when we arrived, and shortly there after Sonu our Butler greeted us. Throughout the cruise he was very friendly, helpful and handled any requests expeditiously. If we asked about anything we could count on it being taken care of. People often ask what would someone want a butler for. Well besides bringing breakfast occasionally and canapés in the afternoon, he is a link between you and the ship and will handle anything that comes up. He is also a font of information about the ship.

The food on the ship was outstanding. For 18 days I can think of only one dish that fell short. We have sailed with Oceania over the past 6 years and I believe that the food has only gotten better over those years. I suppose that because it was a longer cruise, reservations in the specialty restaurants were easier to come by than on the 11 day Baltic cruise we were on this past summer. As long as we were flexible, we pretty much were able to eat in these venues whenever we asked. Also, La Reserve was fabulous. If you enjoy wine, this experience is worth the cost. We have done it twice and enjoyed it both times.

The ship has a nice, well equipped fitness center. While the center was popular, there are plenty of cardio machines and there was always a treadmill open in the morning when I arrived. I'm not an expert, but the equipment seemed to be very good quality. Many of the machines had TVs which had programming similar to that which the stateroom TVs had. You will need to bring your own headphones to listen however, as I did not see any. I also liked that fact that there was water and sports drinks in a refrigerator.

The two lecturers Dr. Norman Caisse and Dr. Paula Smith were very good and interesting. The Food demonstrations were very entertaining and maybe even a little instructive. The evening shows were fairly good. We particularly enjoyed John Charles.

Dottie, the CD left the ship due to a health issue fairly early into the cruise. JR stepped right in and did a very good job. I don't know if he had worked as a CD before, but he seemed a seasoned professional at it.

There were a couple of fun pool side activities during the cruise. The most innovative, I thought was the Country fair. I mentioned this in a previous post, but I want to say that this was something I had not seen before and it was thoroughly enjoyed by the many guests who attended.

Oceania has a great staff. They are obviously well trained and most friendly and gracious. And really, this is very important to the guest's enjoyment of the cruise.

Negatives. Well this may seem like nit picking, but…

1. Our room 11073 was opposite what I believe was the pantry. The staff using the pantry did not like to close the door. When closed all was fine but with the door open all sorts of noises emanated. We were awakened at 4 A.M. one morning by what sounded like someone shoveling ice into a bucket. After mentioning this to an officer on our floor it got better for a while, but towards the end of the cruise the door seemed to be left opened quite often. Not a big deal, but I would not take a room near the pantry again.

2. I personally do not like the CD announcing the days activities over the loud speaker 2 or 3 times a day. We are adults and can read the daily schedule in Currents (the daily newsletter). It is annoying to have to stop our lunch conversation because we can't be heard over the bingo and art auction announcements. It might however be nice to have the daily schedule posted in a few places around the ship. Maybe near the elevators. This could be similar to the way the menus are posted at the entrance the dining room, or maybe on a video screen. Anything to stop those announcements.

Sorry for the negatives. We really enjoyed the cruise and the great many wonderful things about Oceania far out weigh the few negatives.

Hey Guys

I am still on Marina, and guess what I have been sent a special invite to sit in one of the 4 front couches for THE ART AUCTION , it says its a CHAMPAGNE ART AUCTION, I said to my wife I only do CHAMPAGNE ART EXTRAVIGANZAS but she wont allow me to respond in that vain.

On the Tahiti to lima lega I went to an art talk thinking it might be of some interest, suspected it could be a art sell, after 10 mins he started talking about ninja turtles and how they were great artists. Was a great signal to get up and walk out, surely O realise these guys just P people off.

Regards

JImGib

Hey Guys

I am still on Marina, and guess what I have been sent a special invite to sit in one of the 4 front couches for THE ART AUCTION , it says its a CHAMPAGNE ART AUCTION, I said to my wife I only do CHAMPAGNE ART EXTRAVIGANZAS but she wont allow me to respond in that vain.

On the Tahiti to lima lega I went to an art talk thinking it might be of some interest, suspected it could be a art sell, after 10 mins he started talking about ninja turtles and how they were great artists. Was a great signal to get up and walk out, surely O realise these guys just P people off.

Regards

JImGib

Cheapens the O experience. Why was it resurrected? Get rid it again please.

We just returned from the Rivera and yes they had the Art Auctions. The two folks were set up in the atrium each night with a few pictures. We stopped to talk lots and I found them to be fun to talk to with lots of travel and art knowledge. We went to a few of the auctions, had a drink, and passed a pleasant few hours. It's funny how we all have different perceptions, I find bingo reminds me of the large, mass market lines. In fact it really reminds me of sitting in a dark church basement on a Friday night waiting to win those "BIG BINGO DOLLARS".

We just returned from the Rivera and yes they had the Art Auctions. The two folks were set up in the atrium each night with a few pictures. We stopped to talk lots and I found them to be fun to talk to with lots of travel and art knowledge. We went to a few of the auctions, had a drink, and passed a pleasant few hours. It's funny how we all have different perceptions, I find bingo reminds me of the large, mass market lines. In fact it really reminds me of sitting in a dark church basement on a Friday night waiting to win those "BIG BINGO DOLLARS".

Agree, bingo fits into the same category as do announcements over the whole ship. Great they can be turned off it the suites and bingo and auctions don't have to be attended.. ;)

Even Regent has art auctions now so O will certainly have them. Big shame!!!!

I do not know for a fact but I suspect there is something in it (as in money) for both Regent & Oceania.

I do not know for a fact but I suspect there is something in it (as in money) for both Regent & Oceania.

Of course there is money in it for Oceania or they wouldn't have them. I wonder how much though. Some people we met went to the last auction on Marina on our cruise (yes they had a number of "auctions" ) and told us that very little was sold.

On your cruise evaluation forms you can voice your opinions.

These art auctions are a bunch of junk being offered as art. They take up a lot of the large group space onboard the Oceania and Regent ships. They fill up the hallways with their crates that are not only an eyesore, but at times I think they are a potential safety issue. Yes, the cruise company is probably making some money off the space they offer to the auction house, but it cheapens the whole experience of a so called luxury experience. Thankfully the intrusive photographers are gone, and that is a selling point for Oceania and Regent. Let's voice our opinions and get rid of the low quality art auctions!

Do Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea do these events? I hope not, but if they do, please comment on their boards.

We can, with our voices, make enough comments that will make them think twice about renewing the contract!

Do Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea do these events? I hope not, but if they do, please comment on their boards.

We have sailed many times with Crystal and I do not remember art auctions at least not lately. Someone may correct me however.

P.S. I just did a quick scan of all the "Reflections" (Crystal's daily program/newsletter) from our cruise last fall and I saw no mention of art auctions.

Please understand I wasn't complaining about the art auctions, I simply don't go. I just wish they didn't have those annoying public announcements 3 times a day.

I don't ever remember announcements being made over the loud speaker!! That would really give a Mass Market feel. :eek: The announcements were always in the morning on the TV.

Didn't affect our 25 day experience on Nautica in March. Only time we were aware of it was when we walked past the gallery on our way to the Lounge. I'm no art expert, but in the main it was pretty awful stuff. It was selling though, or at least they stickered some. Beyond me why anybody would actually pay for it though, at least what we saw. I was told they make a lot of money from it so I doubt it will go away. I forget the numbers, but I was stunned. Also, I don't recall any public announcements. Doesn't mean they weren't made, just that I didn't notice.

The one thing it did affect was the scheduling of the lectures, which sometimes went into Happy Hour to fit around the auctions. That was a tough decision...lecture or happy hour....maybe they could open the bar in the Lounge for Happy Hour. Happiness all round!

Mo

These art auctions are a bunch of junk being offered as art. They take up a lot of the large group space onboard the Oceania and Regent ships. They fill up the hallways with their crates that are not only an eyesore, but at times I think they are a potential safety issue. Yes, the cruise company is probably making some money off the space they offer to the auction house, but it cheapens the whole experience of a so called luxury experience. Thankfully the intrusive photographers are gone, and that is a selling point for Oceania and Regent. Let's voice our opinions and get rid of the low quality art auctions!

We can, with our voices, make enough comments that will make them think twice about renewing the contract!

Seabourn and Silversea did not have art auctions when I was on.

I totally agree with Sacarr about the CD making announcements about what is contained in the Currents.

We are adults capable of reading, or not, the daily activities. Does remind me of the MM lines' constant barage over the loudspeakers. Too bad.

We had JR as Assistant CD way back in 2008 and thought he was excellent. When I asked if he was trying to get the CD job, he said he really just enjoyed being the Assistant CD. Hope he's on next April. Very pleasant fellow.

Thank for your daily reports, enjoyed them as we are on this itinerary next year.

Joanne

Yesterday it was announced that: "Because of a serious medical emergency involving one off our guests we are canceling our call in Pitcairn tomorrow and proceeding full speed to Easter Island"

The quoted text is from a letter we received yesterday.[/quote

The guest in question broke her fema. By changing course we arrived Easter r 19 hours early where she was to be transported to Santiago by air ambulance. The air ambulance didn't arrive as scheduled and the woman and her husband where still on Easter Island the day we were scheduled to arrive. Bypassing Pitcairn was all for naught. I spoke to her husband that evening on shore and he did not seem too concerned. Did 1,000 plus passengers miss Pitcairn needlessly? I can't render a medical opinion but it does make one wonder.

I also question if Oceania had any intention of tendering to shore regardless of sea conditions had we made that port of call. I merely point this out to those who might make this voyage in the future with Pitcairn their focal point. The stone jetty at Pitcairn is large enough for a single tender, as were the other tender ports on thsi voyage. I base this observation of my investigation and questioning many people.

The sea were calm the entire voyage with only a single day with a few white caps. Despite this Marina seems to generate more breeze than I have experienced on past ships, so much the Canyon Ranch deck was almost unusable and lounges were not in evidence the three days I checked.

I didn't attend the art auctions nor do I care whether others do.

I don't complain about the things that you enjoy that I may not.

Live and let live.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived